bluebird28: Many years on SSRIs and Benzos

bluebird28

Hello, I have been on Prozac on and off for 27 years since November 1991.  I've tried to come off of it several times, but I couldn't tolerate other SSRIs.  I also was prescribed add-on antipsychotics such as Rexulti, and Zyprexa (the worst).  

In the beginning years, (early 90s) being on Prozac and Klonopin was not a problem (at least I didn't think so).  

Over the years, I had ups and downs with depression (probably just tolerance), health anxiety, major panic attacks (one in 1991 and one in 2004).  

I believe Prozac has caused the "poop-out" effect with me.  The biggest thing with being on this drug is having very vivid dreams, and having been sexually blunted for decades.  

So, I am trying to figure out what's best for me.  I know I cannot withdraw/taper from both a benzo and an SSRI at the same time.  Right now, I am tapering off Klonopin, which has been the hardest thing to do.  

What I'm wondering is--does being on an SSRI make it harder to withdraw from another drug?  

I've been to numerous psychiatrists and nurse practitioners over the years.  I currently am working with a nurse practitioner, but she wanted to put me on other things when my mood got worse.  

I feel like I have my work cut out for me.  I've had panic disorder for a long time, but I don't think any drugs are the answer for this problem.  I have OCD, social anxiety, and ulcerative colitis since 2006.  

I really want to learn what would be the best for me.  Currently, I'm on 60 mg of Prozac and 2.5 mg of Klonopin.  I don't what or how big of an interaction these two drugs can cause working together, but I have to figure it out.  

I had a very sunny disposition all my life before age 22, when I was put on Prozac.  Then I had this "apathy" or ignorance that never went away.  

• ChessieCat changed the title to bluebird28: Many years on SSRIs and Benzos
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bluebird, welcome to SA.  It is possible to taper from the drugs and get your life back. It will take time, but you will get there.  No one wants to spend years tapering drugs, but as the dose drops the side effects tend to get less. Vry gradually feelings return that you had forgotten existed. You suddel=nly realise that there is a spring in your step that you hadn't felt in years. One day you will wake up and be glad you did instr=ead of wishing you hadn't. This has been ,y experience of tapering after 22 years.  :)

We need to know the details, if you can put them into your signature that would be great. We need the drugs you have taken over the years and the last 2 years  the details  of how you have tapered the klonopin, the doses and when you made a change.  Also any changes you have made to the prozac dose or attempts to taper.  This will give us a starting point and the best way forward for you.  We don't need any symptoms in the signature, just the drugs doses and dates.  You can find instructions on how to do this here  * Signature instructions

Next we need to look at interactions. You need to list ALL drugs you take, not just the psych ones, into the interactions checker at drugs.com.   Many people take other drugs and think they are irrelevent but it is importamt that they are all included then copy and paste the results here. * Interactions checker

When taking a benzo and an antidepressant we usually suggest tapering the antidepressant first.  For now it would be best to stop the klonopin taper and have a long hold because it sounds like you are having some withdrawal, maybe from tapering too fast. When you have stabilised you can start to taper. In the meantime it will be good if you can prepare and learn as much as you can so that you know what to expect and the best way to get free of the drugs.  It will also be good if you can post a topic for yourself in the benzo forum. The mods there will guide you on the benzo .   * Benzo forum

*Which drug to taper first

*Tapering prozac

Edited by mammaP
added link

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible