Error201: Am I an anomaly?

Error201

I have a long complicated medical history. I'll try to stick to the basics of it.

I started my first antidepressant in 1993 and I haven't been off one since. In 2004,  Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Clonazepam, Prozasin, Adderall were added and Gabapentin I was only for a few months. Yes, these meds were taken all at the same time. I had a severe psychological reaction to Lamictal that ruined 8 years of my life. I never did learn why that stuff made me so incredibly anxious to the point of obsessive compulsive behaviors.

In 2016, I got very ill and during the stress from all that, my lovely psychiatrist decided to stop my Clonazepam that I had been taking daily for 11 years. NO WEANING. I amazingly didn't get sick, but the anxiety was unreal, but I didn't think much about it as I was dealing with some extremely stressful matters. Out of all meds I have come off of, it was definitely not the hardest by a long shot.

I had been on high doses of daily narcotics as well (prescribed) and between the narcotics and all the psychotropic drugs, I just couldn't function anymore. I have been bed bound for 2 years. Over the past 2 years, the anxiety and blah feelings just got worse. This is where I made a drastic decision in May 2018. I was going to stop all pain meds. 

That decision was the best decision I ever made. Despite the severe withdrawals, I stuck to my guns and kept with it. I'm still dealing with mild PAWS, but it gets better every day. I fired my psychiatrist of 13 years as well and started back up with my therapist and a new psychiatric ARNP. I decided (with their approval and help) to get off all my meds. Since July 1, 2018, I have weaned (way too rapidly) off pain meds, Trileptal, Gabapentin, Clonidine, Prozasin, and CBD. I only took the CBD to help me thru detox. 

I'm currently in the process of weaning off Pristiq. In April I was on 75mg, then dropped to 50mg for during the summer. I had no withdrawal whatsoever. I reduced down to 25mg 4 days ago and still no withdrawal. I am prepared if it hits me out of the blue. I quit Abilify in Dec 2017 cold turkey with no ill effects whatsoever either.

The more meds I've been coming off, the better I have been feeling. This seems to be the exact opposite of what others are experiencing. Two things I know about myself is that I metabolize meds rapidly and build tolerance to all meds very rapidly. Are they related somehow? I also am extremely sensitive to meds no matter what class they are in. They either work well, but poop out very fast, or I have the side effects that only happen in 0.00001% of people who take the same drugs. Still can't figure that one out.

Am I just one of the very few lucky ones, or can the withdrawal hit much later on? I'm excited about all this, but also very realistic that I can plummet at any time. I do have a blah day here and there with some physical anxiety, but it's easily abated by getting up and doing something. When I'm out and about I have zero symptoms. 

-Jan 2016 - June 2017 100mg Zoloft

-Jan 2016 - Aug 1, 2018 1500mg Trileptal

-Jan 2016 - Dec 2017 2mg Abilify

-Jan 2016 - July 15, 2018 3mg Prazosin

-Lamictal, Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta all prior to 2016

-June 2017- July 2018 0.2mg Clonidine

-Clonazepam stopped in August 2016 after daily use for 11 years. 

-June 2017 - current Pristiq 75mg now down to 25mg (still weaning) and 10mg Adderall. Am aware of interactions.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Error201: Am I an anomaly?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Error and welcome to SA,

To help us out please create your drug signature.  Keep it simple, no symptoms or diagnoses.

Anything prior to 2016 can just be listed as drug with year and dose.

We need details for the last 2 years.  ALL drugs, doses, with dates, include drug dose changes too please.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

We also need to be able to clearly see what drug/s, dates and doses you are currently taking.  If you are taking more than 1 drug currently please use the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results here in your Intro topic.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Done. I'm currently down to 25mg Pristiq and take 10mg Adderall. I ran out of room to add the adderall.

-Lamictal, Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta all prior to 2016

-June 2017 - current Pristiq 75mg now down to 25mg (still weaning) and 10mg Adderall. Am aware of interactions.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Error201 said:

I ran out of room to add the adderall.

We need to have   You could join these into one line:

-Clonazepam 11 yrs stopped in August 2016;  Lamictal, Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Cymbalta all prior to 2016

32 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

please use the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results here in your Intro topic.

Please do interaction check on Pristiq and Adderall.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Please also put Pristiq and Adderall on the bottom 2 lines so we can see that they are current drugs.  Thank you.

Also, I think Prozasin might be spelled prazosin.

Edited by ChessieCat

I am on my cell and I can't find how to edit my post to add the drug interactions. 

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=190-1645,2796-12488

• Administrator

Welcome, Error.

That link to drug interactions is fine. What time of day do you take each drug, and its dosage?

Your history sounds consistent with your being a fast metabolizer along some liver enzymes. Fast metabolizers face great danger from being loaded up with psychiatric drugs with no seeming ill effects. However, the drugs can still conflict in the liver and kidneys and damage them.

On the other hand, your history of going on and off drugs and suffering some adverse effects from them probably has caused your nervous system to become sensitized, which means you may quickly have exaggerated or adverse reactions to "normal" dosages.

You are fortunate that you have not suffered severe withdrawal symptoms so far except from the narcotics. As you are still suffering from PAWs, which confirms your nervous system is already sensitized, if I were you, I'd taper the Pristiq more slowly.

75mg Pristiq is a very high dosage of Pristiq. It could be that taking a third of the dose, now 25mg, is plenty to occupy receptors -- see Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

If I were you, I would hold on 25mg Pristiq to allow your nervous system to get used to all the changes, then taper much more slowly. See Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I take 25mg Pristiq and 10mg Adderall in the morning. I used to take the Pristiq at bedtime. I just had all my lab work done and my liver enzymes are good. I am, however, in stage 3a kidney disease, but i have remained stable there for 10 years. The reason for coming off the Pristiq is due to tachycardia that it's been causing since i started taking it. I had no idea this was a side effect. I stopped the Adderall for 2 months to see if it would make a difference, but it didn't. The only remaining PAWS i have from coming off the pain meds is an occasional day of physical anxiety here and there, but it improves daily. I have more energy and focus now than I've had in nearly 25 years. I was given all those psych drugs based off a totally wrong diagnosis. It's probably why i feel so much better off them than on them. The remaining 25mg taper is going to be done very slowly as described in the intro section. 

• Administrator

Why are you taking Adderall? That can be rough on your body as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus
13 minutes ago, Error201 said:

The reason for coming off the Pristiq is due to tachycardia that it's been causing since i started taking it. I had no idea this was a side effect.

This may be from serotonin syndrome which I can see is a possibility from Pristiq/Adderall interaction.

My diastolic blood pressure increased when I increased my Pristiq from 50mg to 100mg.  Sometimes I would feel like my heart flipped, or skipped a beat.  Unfortunately my doctor didn't recognise SS and just increased my BP dose.  I had mild serotonin syndrome symptoms (agitation, sweating, poor concentration) which lessened as my dose reduced.  I've also reduced my BP dose. 

I take Adderall for severe fatigue unrelated to all this. I actually have low blood pressure. I monitor it regularly. 

• Administrator

I'm pretty sure the fatigue is related to the ridiculous drug cocktails you've been on.

National Kidney Foundation: Which Drugs are Harmful to Your Kidneys?

Cocaine, heroin and amphetamines also can cause kidney damage.

A prescription is not a magic shield against the harmful effects of amphetamines aka Adderall.

I have had insomnia since i was a toddler. My former psychiatrist believed that if he couldn't get me to sleep, he would give me something to help me stay awake instead. Without going into detail, his care of me was extremely negligent. My psychologist and psychiatric ARNP are just floored by what he did. It was pure malpractice and I'm fortunate he didn't kill me on several occasions. I plan to come off the Adderall next, but my rule is to only change one med at a time.

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, Error201 said:

I plan to come off the Adderall next, but my rule is to only change one med at a time.

Generally, that is a very good rule; it seems to be best for our oversensitized nervous systems.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 1 month later...

I’m curious to know how you are doing. Any updates?

Hope all is well.

Trying to taper from fluoxetine. 

Taking 60 mg between 2002 and 01 April, 2018.

Dropped to 50 mg between 01 April and 07 April 2018

Dropped to 40 mg between 07 April and 01 July 2018

Dropped to 36 mg on 01 July, 2018

Dropped to 33 mg on 15 September 2018

Dropped to 30 mg on 15 October 2018

Dropped to 27 mg on 15 November 2018

Dropped to 25 mg on 15 December 2018

Dropped to 20 mg on 15 January 2019

Dropped to 18 mg on 01 July 2019

Dropped to 17 mg on 01 August 2019

I am doing really well. I was almost off the Pristiq when all the agitation hit me. I decided to go on Zoloft instead and wean off that come spring. This is the wrong time of year for me to come off it.  I ran out of time to come off it before the days get too short. I have a history of seasonal affective disorder. As far as coming off all my other meds, I have never felt better.