Jump to content
Altostrata

Melatonin for sleep

Recommended Posts

Mikegs96
15 hours ago, Songbird said:

 

Are you able to cut it into smaller pieces?  e.g. if you could cut it into quarters that would give you a 0.75mg dose.

I ended up getting the natures bounty brand and it's 1mg. Apparently as long as I don't take more than that I should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onmyway

I just wanted to say that a friend recommended and I am using now an extender release version of melatonin but it comes in 3 mg (from Amazon). Not sure if it makes a difference but thought I'd try it to help with the cortisol awakenings. It seems OK so far but I also had a window so not sure the sleep improvement was due to this or to the window. The wave is back and so are cortisol mornings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gridley
2 hours ago, Onmyway said:

I just wanted to say that a friend recommended and I am using now an extender release version of melatonin but it comes in 3 mg (from Amazon).  

 

Onmyway, 3mg is high for those of us in WD.  We recommend starting out with around 0.25mg or 0.5 mg.  3mg can have a paradoxical (stimulating effect).  Something I've been doing that is helping a bit with sleep is taking my .5mg melatonin when I go to bed, and then taking 100mg magnesium glycinate when I wake up (usually around 3am) and then another 100mg magnesium around dawn.  We're all different, but it does help a bit, and sometimes "a bit" means a lot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Songbird
7 hours ago, Gridley said:

Onmyway, 3mg is high for those of us in WD.  We recommend starting out with around 0.25mg or 0.5 mg.  3mg can have a paradoxical (stimulating effect).  Something I've been doing that is helping a bit with sleep is taking my .5mg melatonin when I go to bed, and then taking 100mg magnesium glycinate when I wake up (usually around 3am) and then another 100mg magnesium around dawn.  We're all different, but it does help a bit, and sometimes "a bit" means a lot.  

 

My understanding is that the 3mg dose would be released gradually over a period of time, so it wouldn't be the same as taking 3mg immediate release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onmyway

@Songbird, yes, that is what I assumed too. I took it and did not have adverse reactions. However, I don't see on the tablet that it is saying not to break etc. as it usually says on extended release tablets. So initially I started at half a tablet. I did look for lower mg extended release but couldn't find any. During a window I was able to sleep longer and it made a huge difference. Now back in a wave and missing that!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Greggie

Holy Crap, wait a second here...

 

I've been taking 6mg a night?! I've been having weird dreams, feeling groggy the next day, and have lots of day time anxiety... could it be related to taking such a high dosage? 

 

If I reduce my dosage tonight to say 1mg... I'll have to cut the pill, will by body have a hard time adjusting to the fact that I have been taking so much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onmyway

I don't think you need to taper melatonin. Just try 1 mg and see. The grogginess could be from melatonin for sure. Sometimes I take extra in the middle of the night and it has that effect in the morning. Re: anxiety not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Altostrata

If you take too much melatonin, it can have a paradoxical effect -- keeping you awake -- or cause an uncomfortable pressured feeling or other reaction, or cause grogginess the next day.

 

This is a caution repeated, like, 30 times in this topic. Read it from the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthStar

Hi, all; I'm BRAND new here (see: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21026-northstar-postpartum-year-hell-~20-meds-on-and-off-brain-feels-like-a-limp-rag/). I just read the entire thread. Though I might have missed some things, there doesn't appear to be advice on the slow-release dosage. Bottomline re: my question: Is it okay to take a higher dose of melatonin if it's extended / slow release - or no?

 

I was taking 10mg slow-release melatonin (+10mg B6 combo pill) at night for a couple/few months and recently reduced to the 5mg version (still slow-release with B6). I recently went off Seroquel 5 weeks ago, had a window of okay sleep (with the 10mg), then hit a wave of really poor sleep. In the last 2 weeks, after the poor sleep started, I've moved to the 5mg slow release and sleep remains variable - but I'm usually waking throughout the night, and in the early morning in a panic. So...

- Do the rules of 1mg or less apply to slow-release melatonin to the point where I should make a change?

- Anyone seen any benefit for slow release vs instant?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onmyway

The scientific literature recommends 0.3 mg of  melatonin, so 10 and 5 seem really high even for normal people (i.e. those not in wd). Unfortunately, for reasons no one knows, most melatonin comes in 3 mg (10x higher). It is also not clear what slow release really means when it comes to supplements. My tablets don't show how that is achieved at all. If it doesn't say not to cut your pills, I'd cut to 1/4 and see. People have also noted on some of these threads that B vitamins and vit D can be activating so unless you have a deficiency that needs to be corrected maybe check and see if they contribute to the anxiety? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NorthStar
32 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

The scientific literature recommends 0.3 mg of  melatonin, so 10 and 5 seem really high even for normal people (i.e. those not in wd). Unfortunately, for reasons no one knows, most melatonin comes in 3 mg (10x higher). It is also not clear what slow release really means when it comes to supplements. My tablets don't show how that is achieved at all. If it doesn't say not to cut your pills, I'd cut to 1/4 and see. People have also noted on some of these threads that B vitamins and vit D can be activating so unless you have a deficiency that needs to be corrected maybe check and see if they contribute to the anxiety? 

Thanks. I've read that - that less is more, so it speak. And I'm also unsure if the timed release does anything (sounds like we all are). Being careful to take a change at a time, I'm looking for a melatonin without the B6 that also contains less melatonin. Although I've also read that B6 helps with akathisia, so who knows. Anyway - yes - plan is to find a smaller time released melatonin or cut this one down (it says there's an instant release outer-layer and a time-released center, so cutting it wouldn't be an issue?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Onmyway
1 hour ago, NorthStar said:

Thanks. I've read that - that less is more, so it speak. And I'm also unsure if the timed release does anything (sounds like we all are). Being careful to take a change at a time, I'm looking for a melatonin without the B6 that also contains less melatonin. Although I've also read that B6 helps with akathisia, so who knows. Anyway - yes - plan is to find a smaller time released melatonin or cut this one down (it says there's an instant release outer-layer and a time-released center, so cutting it wouldn't be an issue?).

It might be an issue then if the outer layer is different. I guess the outer layer would dissolve first and then the middle would dissolve later. It might be worth calling the company to check. L-theanine helped with anxiety/restlessness for me but caused nausea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikegs96

Is 3mg's of melatonin considered too much? Cause on Dr. Oz's website it said that 3mg's is more than your body naturally produces. But on other sites it says 3mg's is fine to take. So should I just stick to taking 1mg of melatonin? 

 

Cause I accidentally took 3mg's last night and it worked really well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mikegs96

Also is melatonin something you have to taper before you stop taking it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat

Please read Post #1 of this topic for answers to your questions.

 

Something to remember is that when tapering/experiencing withdrawal, our nervous systems may have become sensitized, so when trying anything new it is better to start with smaller amounts than recommended on the label (or elsewhere) to see how it affects you. 

 

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Songbird
10 hours ago, Mikegs96 said:

Is 3mg's of melatonin considered too much? Cause on Dr. Oz's website it said that 3mg's is more than your body naturally produces. But on other sites it says 3mg's is fine to take. So should I just stick to taking 1mg of melatonin? 

 

Cause I accidentally took 3mg's last night and it worked really well

 

I would take the minimum effective dose.  So if 1mg is working well I would stick to that.  If 1mg is not working well, try small increases (e.g. go up to 1.5mg) until you find the lowest dose that works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...