"This is Us" tv show and AD withdrawal

SkyBlue

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't watch This is Us, but someone told me that in the previews for next week's show, someone abruptly stops taking their SSRIs and suffers withdrawal. This is an extremely popular show in the U.S. and for it to treat AD withdrawal is incredibly exciting.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Oh wow - that is great to see this portrayed on such a popular television show!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

I watch this show and just saw (recorded on DVR) the season 3 premier.

So Toby Damon (Kate's husband) has been on an antidepressant for 6 years and it looks like he will go CT, meaning he will hit WD

https://www.nbc.com/this-is-us/credits/cast

I'm a HIV/AIDS survivor since 1997. Since 2005 on and off Prozac and benzos/tranquilizers, changed to Escitalopram added Lithium in 2015.

2010 - June 2017 Ambien/Zolpidem went C/T, got W/D and insomnia.

2015 - June 2017 Lithium 600/mg and Escitalopram 60/mg, went C/T, got W/D.

Sep.8 - 18 2017 hospitalized for 10 days, got started on Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine.

Oct.2017 found S/A website, learning a lot, especially about W/D and tapering, for the first time.

Oct.8.2017 - Dec.2.2017 Venlafaxine from 150/mg to 112.50/mg - decreased because of hyperactivity.

Dec.3.2017 Venlafaxine from 112.50/mg to 75/mg to 37.5/mg - decreased because of suicidal thoughts.

Feb - Dec 2018 completed the tapering of Venlafaxine 37.5/mg (2/3 beads every month)  

Aug.9.2018 Remeron from 30/mg to 15/mg to 7.5/mg - decreased because of overweight.

April 2019 completed the tapering of Remeron 7.5/mg 

Currently taking Clonazepam/Klonopin 1/mg day and night, and Biktarvy once a day (for HIV/AIDS)

My biggest irritation tho is that it will come down to him off hes meds and go back on them and everything will be fine ,I doubt theres much research behind this storyline ,it kills me to see people being jugded on the devastation that withdrawl brings and been put down to a character trait and its the devastation caused by the meds not the "condition".

Being on the devastation side of these drugs is disgusting and inhumane  ,countless lives destroyed.

I doubt I could bare watching the episode,not in this mood anyhow lol.

Peace.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

@powerback well said, you're completely right.

TV shows are very unrealistic, too perfect, too happy or just too sad, maybe the sad part is the only thing that keeps me watching.

I'm a HIV/AIDS survivor since 1997. Since 2005 on and off Prozac and benzos/tranquilizers, changed to Escitalopram added Lithium in 2015.

2010 - June 2017 Ambien/Zolpidem went C/T, got W/D and insomnia.

2015 - June 2017 Lithium 600/mg and Escitalopram 60/mg, went C/T, got W/D.

Sep.8 - 18 2017 hospitalized for 10 days, got started on Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine.

Oct.2017 found S/A website, learning a lot, especially about W/D and tapering, for the first time.

Oct.8.2017 - Dec.2.2017 Venlafaxine from 150/mg to 112.50/mg - decreased because of hyperactivity.

Dec.3.2017 Venlafaxine from 112.50/mg to 75/mg to 37.5/mg - decreased because of suicidal thoughts.

Feb - Dec 2018 completed the tapering of Venlafaxine 37.5/mg (2/3 beads every month)  

Aug.9.2018 Remeron from 30/mg to 15/mg to 7.5/mg - decreased because of overweight.

April 2019 completed the tapering of Remeron 7.5/mg 

Currently taking Clonazepam/Klonopin 1/mg day and night, and Biktarvy once a day (for HIV/AIDS)

12 hours ago, Juan said:

@powerback well said, you're completely right.

TV shows are very unrealistic, too perfect, too happy or just too sad, maybe the sad part is the only thing that keeps me watching.

Hi juan ,I dont judge anyone for what they watch ,in ireland and the uk theres a big soap opera following and its taking me to be this sick for so long to come to the realisation that people get imerssed into these  tv shows and get a great buzz out of feeling the ups and downs and mostly dama of the characters but having the brilliant feeling of being able to turn the tv off ."thank god its not me feeling"

Nothing can compare to lived experience.

Producers are put on tv and given a pat on the back over here for bringing up subjects that are controversial .

Helping each other with sites like this is the only way forward.

Producers are nothing more than sales persons and manipulators.

If we dont watch they dont make money.

If I could have my childhood over again I wouldn't watch tv .its way too easy to stick a child infront of a tv all day.

Ok rant over lol.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Wantrelief, I agree! Very exciting. (I feel okay saying that since this is a fictional character. Wouldn't wish withdrawal on any living soul.)

On 9/27/2018 at 12:01 PM, Juan said:

I watch this show and just saw (recorded on DVR) the season 3 premier.

So Toby Damon (Kate's husband) has been on an antidepressant for 6 years and it looks like he will go CT, meaning he will hit WD

https://www.nbc.com/this-is-us/credits/cast

Juan, thanks for the info. When you do watch the episode, can you update us here? 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Any updates on this?

The wife is pregnant and he's back on antidepressants. I was watching the show A Million Little Things and one of the characters was at a doctor's office who recommended he go on an antidepressant so the TV character asks how long he will be on the antidepressant and the doctor said "if it works the rest of your life." I HATED that. 

Early 1980s 2 mg. vallium prn; Mid-1990s Paxil and 2mg. vallium prn; Somewhere in there Buspar

Early 2000s Sertaline 50 mg. and .25mg Xanax prn 

2008 Sertaline 50 mg but Xanax was increased to .5mg 6 times a day 

2015 Sertaline increased to 100mg. 2 mg. vallium prn and Wellburtrin (only on a few days)

April 2016 Venlafaxine XR 225mg with 50 mg. Zolft  and 10 mg. Vallium 3 times a day as needed

Fall 2017 Venlafaxine upped to 300 mg - 5 mg. Vallium 3 times a day prn; Jan. 2018 Venlafaxine 225mg w/Vallium

April 2018 weaned  to 187.50mg, 150mg, 112.5 mg at 4 to 5 week intervals vallium 3 times a day prn

July 2018 112.5 mg ; July 2018 started SA's 10% guideline w/ 2.5 vallium prn; lost notes  dropped to 89 mg by 10/22; 89 mg 10/29; 10/6 86 mg, 10/13 83 mg; 10/20 - 11/2 updosed to 89mg; 11/3 86 mg; 11/17 80 mg. 11/24 77mg - 12/20 80mg 1/ 20 77 mg venlafaxine; 2/19 75 mg Ven  still taking vallium 2.5 mg morning, after and evening

Simvastatin 40mg. daily with supplements: Magnesium, Omega Fatty Oils, Vitamin D3, Turmeric, Magnesium, 25 mg. to 50 mg. diphendramine for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

I watched the first season of the show but have not been caught up on the rest. Very curious to see/hear how it was handled. I think if anything, the fact that they can portray withdrawal and show it to be a real thing, is a positive turn for others to understand the seriousness of it.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/5/2018 at 11:49 PM, WantoffVen said:

he's back on antidepressants

Thanks for the update. 

42 minutes ago, composter said:

I think if anything, the fact that they can portray withdrawal and show it to be a real thing, is a positive turn for others to understand the seriousness of it.

Exactly!!! They really have an opportunity here to do a great thing, and I hope they do. Opiate dependency gets a lot of attention—as it should—and more attention to the reality of psych drug withdrawal is obviously very much needed. 

Edited by SkyBlue
condensed quoted section

They didn't really. They showed his struggle briefly and then as soon as his wife was pregnant he went right back to the antidepressants. So I feel like the message was not a good one at all. See you need your antidepressants. Get right back on them.

Early 1980s 2 mg. vallium prn; Mid-1990s Paxil and 2mg. vallium prn; Somewhere in there Buspar

Early 2000s Sertaline 50 mg. and .25mg Xanax prn 

2008 Sertaline 50 mg but Xanax was increased to .5mg 6 times a day 

2015 Sertaline increased to 100mg. 2 mg. vallium prn and Wellburtrin (only on a few days)

April 2016 Venlafaxine XR 225mg with 50 mg. Zolft  and 10 mg. Vallium 3 times a day as needed

Fall 2017 Venlafaxine upped to 300 mg - 5 mg. Vallium 3 times a day prn; Jan. 2018 Venlafaxine 225mg w/Vallium

April 2018 weaned  to 187.50mg, 150mg, 112.5 mg at 4 to 5 week intervals vallium 3 times a day prn

July 2018 112.5 mg ; July 2018 started SA's 10% guideline w/ 2.5 vallium prn; lost notes  dropped to 89 mg by 10/22; 89 mg 10/29; 10/6 86 mg, 10/13 83 mg; 10/20 - 11/2 updosed to 89mg; 11/3 86 mg; 11/17 80 mg. 11/24 77mg - 12/20 80mg 1/ 20 77 mg venlafaxine; 2/19 75 mg Ven  still taking vallium 2.5 mg morning, after and evening

Simvastatin 40mg. daily with supplements: Magnesium, Omega Fatty Oils, Vitamin D3, Turmeric, Magnesium, 25 mg. to 50 mg. diphendramine for sleep

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, WantoffVen said:

They didn't really. They showed his struggle briefly and then as soon as his wife was pregnant he went right back to the antidepressants. So I feel like the message was not a good one at all. See you need your antidepressants. Get right back on them.

Yeah. Geez. I'm going back to watching the curling championships. Much less disappointing.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy