Moya: insomnia meds poisoning - advice needed please

Moya

Need urgent advice please from South Africa. Unbearable pain... I don't know what to do. I have been drinking a sleeping tablet for 30 years, got tolerant to it and am currently on a dangerous cocktail. I don't want to die like this.... I use 7,5 mg Mirtazapine, 2 mg Rivotril / clonazapam, 40 mg Seroquel, TWO 12,5 mg Stilnox MR / Ambien slow release. I am poisoned and afraid of deep tissue pressure ulcers because I lost my muscle mass, also no padding left under my feet. Pain is unbearable. The doctors seem not to think the concoction is dangerous. I have blisters in my mouth, severe hair loss and acidic loose stools. Thank you.

Severe insomnia. Dormonoct 1990 - 1995. Stopped working. 0,5 mg Rivotrol / Clonazapam 1997. When that stopped working it was increased over the years till 2 mg. That stopped working. 10mg Stilnox / Ambien added. That stopped working. Replaced with 12,5mg Stilnox MR. That stopped working. Jan 2017 TWO Stilnox added as well as Seroquel for off label sleep. Jun 2017 Mirtazapine added for sleep.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Moya: insomnia meds poisoning - advice needed please
  • Administrator

Welcome, Moya.

I am sorry you're so ill.

It sounds to me like you are having an adverse reaction to this combination of drugs. Have you had kidney and liver function tests recently? If not, I would request these blood tests right away.

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Moya, 

Thanks for your private message. I have answered you there but please do as Alto says n check the drug interaction checker n  give her your results and get those blood tests and tell her what they say.

Im so extremely sorry for the pain you’re going through. Must be horrific to be in such bad pain. I wish i could take it away. 

Sending hugs🤗💚💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Welcome Moya...I am so sad to hear of what has happened as result of all the meds.  I hope you are able to get the lab tests done quickly.  You will get help here!  Are you able to eat?  All that on empty stomach would be hard on system.  Thinking about you Moya!💜

-Nardil 1976 < year, stopped. React to AD's. Klonopin .5BID 1990, 2.5mg til 2016

-Klonopin doubled Jan '16. Taper to 2.25mg May to Nov '16. Bad react to Lexapro, stop. React to Prevacid too, taper off. 

-November '16 Tapered .25mg Klonopin in hospital. Jan '17 started Viibryd, 20mg from Feb to June '17,     

-20mg to 10mg Viibryd from 3/25 to 6/10 2017, 12/15 10% Viibryd taper...back up next day

-Clonazepam 2mg to 1.85mg 4/14 '17 to end November; taper to 1mg Clonazepam in hospital 9/1 tp 9/14 '17

-Feb '18 Amiloride .25mg  5/18 off Amiloride d/t react. Clonaz compounded  

-4/27 '18 Viibryd 9.5mg, 6/11 9.0 mg, 1/27 '19 Viibryd 8.75mg, ; Clonazepam .2mg 530pm and .7mg 1130pm, Premarin .3mg 830PM CARAFATE QID 2/27/19 to 3/5/19

-July 6'19 1/2 10mg Claritin 230pm, stopped it about July 18, started Oct 11 '19, 

-7/27 Viibryd 8.5, 8/29 8.25, 10/24 8.0, 12/19 7.75, Feb '20 7.50, 3/20 7.25, 5/20 7.0, 6/20 6.75, 7/20 6.5, 8/20 6.25, 10/2 20 6.0, 11/25'20 5.75, 1/9/21 5.5, 2/23 5.25

-1015 AM Viibryd, vit D 4,000IU 130, 415 Clonazepam .2mg, 815 Premarin .3mg, 1015 Clonaz .7mg,

1115 3t fish oil+D 1145 Castor Oil 650mg(4) 1230 Carafate 1/2GM,Methylated B Vit  1/week,Reacted Mag prn

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Moya. Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

I also was on dangerous cocktails of drugs for 30 years, so I can assure you it's possible to come off these drugs and heal. 

We are going to need to know more before we can offer advice.  As Alto mentioned, it would be good to get liver and kidney function tests done. Please let us know the results. 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

What time of day to you take each of your drugs? How is your sleep?

Please continue to use this thread to document your taper and to ask plenty of questions. 

Shep I take all just before sleep.

Severe insomnia. Dormonoct 1990 - 1995. Stopped working. 0,5 mg Rivotrol / Clonazapam 1997. When that stopped working it was increased over the years till 2 mg. That stopped working. 10mg Stilnox / Ambien added. That stopped working. Replaced with 12,5mg Stilnox MR. That stopped working. Jan 2017 TWO Stilnox added as well as Seroquel for off label sleep. Jun 2017 Mirtazapine added for sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Moya. That may be causing some of your problem, as you are taking 4 drugs that cause sedation all at one time. Take 4 sedating drugs at once can actually cause a paradoxical reaction, meaning instead of sedating you, it's causing hyper-alerting. The more you dampen down the nervous system, the more it fights back to stay alert. So you may benefit by taking some of your drug doses earlier in the day.

You may also be getting rebound and / or interdose withdrawal symptoms, especially from the drugs that have short half lives. And again, spacing you drugs throughout the day will help with that. 

Please start a drug and symptoms journal. This will help us figure out the best way to space your drugs. 

This is the best format to use:

Drug and Symptoms Journal Format

On 9/27/2016 at 2:49 PM, Altostrata said:

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

A symptom pattern that occurs regularly over several days could mean the symptoms are from withdrawal, other adverse effects of drugs, or something else you do on a daily schedule.

In the course of discussion in your Introductions forum topic, you may be asked to keep notes on paper of your daily symptom pattern, including when you take your drugs, their dosages, and any symptoms.

What we need to see for every individual day over several days is:

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in morning
- Time and description of any symptoms in the morning

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in afternoon
- Time and description of any symptoms in the afternoon

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in evening
- Time and description of any symptoms in the evening

- Time and dosage for drugs taken in middle of the night
- Time and description of any symptoms in the middle of the night (such as waking)

And so forth. A diary, in chronological order, such as:

6 a.m. Woke and vomited
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Had diarrhea
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Stomachache
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Headache got worse
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke with headache

An appointments diary is perfect for this and can be bought at stationery stores. 

They have a page for each day with times for appointments which can be filled in with doses, symptoms etc as shown by Alto.

Please also include:

• any supplements you are taking
  • when you eat
  • how much sleep you are getting each night

Once you have posted a few days of your journal, we can help you space out your drugs and hopefully, you'll start to feel better.

Also, please set up your signature (instructions are in my previous post). 

Shep thank you but I can't take sleep meds during the day. ALL meds are for insomnia. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand, Moya, but it may help to take part of your doses earlier in the evening, not all at once at night.

As you post your drug and symptoms journal over the coming days, we can discuss ways that you could move them a bit that won't interfere with your daytime activities.

Do you work? Do you have a set time you have to get up and go to work or take care of children? We can work around your schedule. 

Edited by Shep
fixed typo

Cannot work. Please see muscle atrophy and eminent deep tissue pressure ulcers. I drink the Seroquel and Mirtazapine 1 1/2 hour earlier.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/18/2018 at 5:23 PM, Altostrata said:

It sounds to me like you are having an adverse reaction to this combination of drugs. Have you had kidney and liver function tests recently? If not, I would request these blood tests right away.

Moya, please see Alto's recommendation about getting kidney and liver function tests done. Please report back what you find out. This is important. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moya, I cannot stress the importance of interdose withdrawal enough. It is not that the meds stop working, it is that your body develops tolerance.  I experienced interdose withdrawal on Ativan (lorazepam) and on Urbanol (clobazam). Interdose withdrawal literally makes you feel as if you are going crazy. The only way to get better is to SLOWLY and SYSTEMATICALLY taper off your medications. Benzodiazepines (the Rivotril you are taking) and Z-drugs (Stilnox, active ingredient zolpidem) make you fall asleep, but you never ever feel rested. I have read that they don't allow you to enter REM sleep. I had a paradoxical reaction on zolpidem. 

The mods will advise you on which drugs to taper first, but you need to follow their advice. Good luck and keep us updated. Please get the blood tests done.

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.