Iowan

Iowan: Lexapro / escitalopram taper, need help and support, reassurance

Iowan

2.000 mgai / 31 mgpw / 90% Taper COMPLETE!

I hit a milestone on Sunday. I have officially completed 90% of my SSRI taper and only have 10% remaining. The GREAT news of my new job beginning a week from today has taken SO MUCH stress off of me. I am really looking forward to getting started. I also stopped drinking coffee cold-turkey on Friday the 13th. I can't tell you all how much better I'm sleeping now that I've alleviated some heavy stress and eliminated a majority of my caffeine intake, (I still drink a soda from time to time). I almost immediately went from getting up 2 to 3 times a night to urinate to getting up only once, and it's right around 5:30 AM. It's AWESOME!!!

I still have high shoulder / low neck pain right on my spine that comes and goes, but as long as it isn't constant, it's manageable.

Can't wait to be 100% complete with my taper. I know it's not the end of my healing process, but it's a goal I'm shooting for nonetheless.

PH1

That is great to hear, Iowan!    You've come a long way!

ChessieCat

Adding this here for your record:

5 hours ago, Iowan said:

@brassmonkey THANK YOU!!! I had attempted to read your essay within some pretty heavy initial waves, and I just couldn't wrap my brain around it all. Now that my ADWD has improved and I've stabilized, I've been able to read and digest the entire thing, and it all makes SO MUCH SENSE now!!! I've experienced most of what you've written about and if I would have just read and followed this to begin with, I could have potentially avoided a good majority of the pain and suffering that I've endured. Slow and steady wins this ADWD race. I'm at a 90% total reduction of my SSRI this week with the remaining 10% ahead of me. I realize the next few years won't be without their waves, but I've fully accepted the situation that I'm in and believe that the worst is behind me. Thank God!

Iowan

1.871 mgai / 29 mgpw

So, I've had a really good 2 to 3 weeks. I started my new job strong last Monday. But, I made a mistake. With this job change I decided to switch the time I take my Lexapro from before bed (PM) to before work (AM). On Thursday, I began feeling the glitch of a wave coming on. Friday was kind of rough, so I switched back to taking my med to before bed Friday night. Friday, Saturday, and now Sunday nights, I've woken up around 2 and have been unable to go back to sleep. High anxiety and insomnia the first 2 nights, and mostly just insomnia and random thoughts the 3rd. I spent a lot of time on my couch this weekend. Ugh... I know it's temporary and I'm weathering the storm, but it's still very unpleasant. Now that I'm in the last portion of my taper and my dosage is low, I know that any minor changes can really mess with my progress, including switching the time I take my med. I'm a bonehead sometimes.

Since I only had my AM schedule for 4 days, I'm going to keep my PM med schedule for a couple of weeks to see if I level out again. I imagine I will, but it's just going to take time. My CNS is a little upset with me and I'm suffering the consequences. All in all, it's a manageable wave, so far, but it still stinks. One of these days, I'll only have memories of this time in my life, and won't be living these dreadful waves anymore. I thank God for carrying me and not abandoning me through this. I also thank God for directing me to this group. I'd be in a much worse spot if I didn't have this resource and all of you.

Gridley
3 hours ago, Iowan said:

I decided to switch the time I take my Lexapro from before bed (PM) to before work (AM).

If you want to switch from PM to AM, we recommend moving back the time you take the drug by one hour a day.  For example, if you normally take it at 10PM, take it at 9PM for one day, 8PM for one day, etc. until you reach the AM time you want.

Iowan

1.742 mgai / 27 mgpw / 91.29% Taper COMPLETE!

I ended up leveling out after about 5 days, for the most part. I won't be switching my dosage time from PM to AM again. My new job is going well and I've been cutting & splitting wood and building fence in my free time, trying to get it all done before the snow starts to fly. I'm an avid outdoors man and hunter. Archery deer season started October 1st. I had Columbus Day off and a cold front moved in, so decided to take a day for myself and go hunting. My first full hunt of the season and I harvested the highest scoring buck of my lifetime, just before sunset. I didn't realize I could still get that excited! It felt GREAT, and lasted for days! I keep coming back to the thought that God blessed me with that experience due to the past 18 months of Hell that I've endured. I am so grateful that I didn't submit to the darkness and demons, and that I'm still here to enjoy the life that I've been blessed with. I've still got a ways to go, but I'm happy and know that I can overcome any bump in the road that I encounter.

mdwstrx

Hi Iowan.  I'm so happy for you!  Your posts really inspire me to continue to taper.  1.7 mg is great!  I'm at 4.6 mg so it will  be awhile for me.  Are you you still doing 2.5% weekly tapers on the bm slide?  I am only able to do an average of 2% weekly.  The last 2 weeks hold is usually a bit of a rough patch for me but nothing like acute wd.  With the holidays coming up, I may need to slow down a bit so as not to disrupt with any mood issues.  

I also love the outdoors.  God is good and it's where I feel the closest to Him usually. :) 

Iowan
6 hours ago, mdwstrx said:

Hi Iowan.  I'm so happy for you!  Your posts really inspire me to continue to taper.  1.7 mg is great!  I'm at 4.6 mg so it will  be awhile for me.  Are you you still doing 2.5% weekly tapers on the bm slide?  I am only able to do an average of 2% weekly.  The last 2 weeks hold is usually a bit of a rough patch for me but nothing like acute wd.  With the holidays coming up, I may need to slow down a bit so as not to disrupt with any mood issues.  

I also love the outdoors.  God is good and it's where I feel the closest to Him usually. :) 

Thanks @mdwstrx. I'm sticking to a version of the BM Slide taper method. I say 'a version' because once I hit 31 mgpw, I decided to try tapering 1 mgpw per week, where the BM Slide was showing that I should hold there for an additional week before I tapered to 30 mgpw. So, today, I'm at 27 mgpw, where the true BM Slide would have me at 29 mgpw. For the month of October, I will have tapered 13.33%, where the BM Slide would have had me taper 9.68%. I'm not condoning this for anyone else, and if/when I ever run into issues with it, I intend on holding until I stabilize and re-instituting the true BM Slide again at that time. If I'm able to stay the course with tapering 1 mgpw weekly from this point forward, I will shave roughly 14 months off of my entire taper. I imagine as I get into the lower dosages, (e.g. 10-1 mgpw or even sooner), I'll have to increase my hold times between my 1 mgpw tapers. It's working well for me so far, so I'm going to stay the course until I run into trouble.

I LOVE seeing God in his creations.

Iowan

1.355 mgai / 21 mgpw / 93.23% Taper COMPLETE!

Just dropping by to check-in. I'm a couple of months into my new job and am still pleased with it. Every day is an adventure. That comes with its share of stress, along with its share of enjoyment. The stress is nothing compared to my previous position, and my recently developed coping skills help me deal with it more productively. Waves still come and go periodically, and still last roughly 5 days, but they continue to become more and more manageable. I believe higher stress levels have something to do with kicking them off, or maybe I've got higher stress (at least in part) due to my SSRI taper. Whatever the case, I tend not to have waves if I'm able to keep my stress in check. Once a wave gets started though, it's almost guaranteed to last the full duration. They rarely ever stop short. I'm operating at nearly 100% most of the time outside of my waves now (in my windows). I see the light at the end of the tunnel, to a time in the near future where I no longer have waves. Just one big window. It's tough for me to read back through my notes and search my memories from the past year and a half or so. (I understand why many people on here disappear once they get on the road to healthy recovery. It's just too dang hard to take yourself back to talk about what you've been through.) I was in a REALLY bad place and I can honestly say that outside of God carrying me through the roughest patches, the people and information on this SA website have been the best help and guidance I have received through this journey. I thank you ALL. I will continue to check in periodically and leave a status update. If/when I run into any bad waves or real trouble, I will simply hold my taper for an extra week or few and weather the storm. This entire process has taught me patience. God Bless! Iowan