Cynthia

Cynthia: 4th day off serotonin. Scary symptoms

Cynthia

Symptoms improved since reinstating: big reduction brain zapping/rushing in head

big reduction hot flushes

reduced ringing in ears

heart racing less

Able to fall sleep (no Xanax)

No new symptoms

Yes. Suffered from Diarrhea while  on high dose Zoloft. Worsened in frequency. 

Gastroenterologist did tests including colonoscopy 2012, 2014, 2016. Found link between microcellular colitis & Zoloft. 

Psychiatrist substituted Lexapro - same class of drugs but side effect of diarrhea ‘farther down the list’. 

Seemed to improve then after several months episodes more frequent. This is why psychiatrist suggested I step down & off this class of seratonin uptake drugs. 

Important to note, may or may not be cause now, but contributing factor. 

First episode followed  sexual assault in 1969 & lasted a year. 

Was started on Valium, Lomotile, Effercillium, orher meds over years. Sexual assault again not quite a year later. Diarrhea returned. Stress from Fear, anxiety initial cause. 

Now trying to control  with probiotics, bland diet, Immodium & Metamucil.

Edited by ChessieCat
reworded rape to sexual assault

Cynthia

Since reinstating drug, No nightmares!  2 nights of good dreams.  Also slept through the night. 

See doctor Monday. Wish me luck. 

ChessieCat

Are you seeing your doctor about something to do with your drugs and/or tapering/reinstatement?

You might find it helpful to write a script and rehearse what you are going to say.  Be calm, gentle but assertive.  You are the customer, it is your body.  Use words like I'd like to try this.  If a suggestion is made that you don't want to follow, say I'd like to think about it before making a decision.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Edited by ChessieCat

Gracee

Hi Cynthia, Just wanted to stop by, say Hello and Best Wishes.   I am near your age (73) and began tapering from Paxil a few weeks ago.  I experience similar withdrawal symptoms, and have come to learn it is all part of the tapering process.  I'm learning to take this process very slowly and reduce dosage by tiny amounts, even if it takes years.   Hang in there and be good to yourself.

Cynthia

ChesieCat

yes, I’m seeing my psychiatrist to discuss dosage, titrating down slowly, what my “discontinuation” experience has been, about what role if any the Wellbutrin  (dopamine) may have, and not least diarrhea. 

Thank you for guidance, I will definitely go in with notes & non-confrontational tone. I think I can put her at ease. I have no expectation but I do have hope. 

Cynthia

Cynthia

Gracie, 

Thank you so much. Heck of a ride, isn’t it - And I don’t like rollercoasters!

If I felt this antidepressant was helping me & not suffering diarrhea as a side effect, I’d stay on it to avoid detoxing. Suffering either way, but looking forward to decreasing the suffering by going slow & looking forward to eventually living long enough to be off 😜👵🏻😘

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Gracee

I hear you Cynthia,   I was stable on 30 mg Paxil for the past 7 years, then made the hasty mistake up up-dosing to 40 mg because anxiety had returned.    If I can get back down to 30, I will evaluate and stay put if I can just be comfortable again.   Who knows?   I think at some point, our body reaches a tolerance with a drug and the dose stops working.   All I know for sure, is I won't up-dose again nor will I allow my doctor to add another SSRI to the mix.

Cynthia

Very helpful & validating!  Never heard of tachyphylaxis or “poop out”. But I have experienced recently. It’s natural, I think, to get depressed, sad, whatever, on SSR/SSRI’s but I didn't bottom out.  Until , Recent past, on 10mg maintenance dose of escitalopram I felt like I was floating beneath the surface of water. Part of me wanted to be pulled up and part of me just didn’t give a darn. Never felt like that. Finally got myself to my psych who started busilly looking on her computer to add another drug. Forgot the name (started with an R, to be taken at night), then read through most common side effects at my request. Not a chance! That made me come up for air. The drug wasn’t working for me anymore. That Also happened on Zoloft which I took for 25 years before. During that time the dosage was increased by 50% and after a time, Wellbutrin was added. Then switched to Escitalopram. 

It’s a crazy spiral. Talk about mixing drinks! We listen to our doctors- we don’t want to be debilitated by depression or sadness. After going through the wash cycle far too many times, I said “I’ll think about it” - went home, did research on the web, educated myself, and decided I’d had enough. I eventually came out of the awful numb depression- I don’t know why. Going off - “discontinuing” is hell. I’m not just withdrawing from Escitalopram but all the anti-depressants that went before. It is just sinking in how hard it is how unsure & scared I am. What is also sinking in after reading the struggles and strength of people on this SA site, what a huge, grossly underplayed, epidemic anti-depressant withdrawal is. 

We give each other strength & hope here, we can be here at the touch of a key to support each other. That’s an even huger phenomenon. 

Bless you all

Cynthia

ChessieCat
25 minutes ago, Cynthia said:

Forgot the name (started with an R, to be taken at night)

Drugs beginning with "r"

• Remeron (mirtazapine)
  • Restoril (temazepam)
  • Risperadal

29 minutes ago, Cynthia said:

I eventually came out of the awful numb depression- I don’t know why.

Sometimes depression can be something which just runs its course.

31 minutes ago, Cynthia said:

what a huge, grossly underplayed, epidemic anti-depressant withdrawal is.

Yes, it is.  And here is some proof of the vastness of this issue.

PE01651: Prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal  Calling on the Scottish Parliament to urge the Scottish Government to take action to appropriately recognise and effectively support individuals affected and harmed by prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal.

298 public submissions (when making your submission you can choose whether to make it public or not) are available for reading here:  http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

I have read about 50 of them.

Cynthia

May have been Remeron -  taken at night, help insomnia & increases appetite, causes dry mouth. I remembered I was presidcribed Elavil at one time - what a horrid experiment that was! sawdust mouth, knocked me out like death at night & ended up not being able to urinate. 

Cynthia

Wow- I read thru several submissions. Any movement in the US?

Cynthia

ChessieCat

Just posted experience with psychiatrist yestetday to a discussion thread on topic. 

Can I add tags to my original post/thread? Edit topic title? 

Want to add tags

escitalopram 

seratonin

withdrawal

taper

I’d like to take part in discussions 

forums

So helpful to read

receive posts from others

would like to add my voice

Thank you,

Cynthia

Cynthia

Saw my psychiatrist yesterday - came prepared with daily diary, list of my symptoms & extracts from publications validating withdrawal symptoms- a copy for her & one for myself & 

I told her ‘let’s read through [diary] together”. Held her attention for maybe 2 minutes. She said she had never heard this from any of her other patients going off. Escitalopram.  

I didn’t challenge her, said I hadn’t expected it either.

Asked if may be cummulative result of being on SSRIs for 25 years. 

She was honest and said, “we don’t know “

By this time her copy of my well organized printouts had been tossed on a chair. 

I really had no expectations- but made sure to reiterate how I was feeling & what I’d gone thru after dropping & resuming at a lower dose. I am still suffering from diarrhea.

She referred to escitalopram as a fairly innocuous drug! 

We agreed I’d stay on 5mg to see if I can stabilize. 

I talked to her about a slow taper, possibly a liquid compound. She agreed

‘Then if you want,” she said, “we can cut it in half to 2.5mg”.  !!!

She didn’t get it. I told her no, (I may have yelped at this point) I’m talking slow - as suggested on this site- 10% at a time over a period of months. 

I brought up cross tapering & she said “one thing at a time”. 

Our 10 minutes were up. I left feeling that I’m on my own & that I’d have to be my own advocate. 

Terrible diarrhea last night - from drug? From withdrawal? From stress? All of the above. 

Bad night last night. Midnight episode of severe diarrhea & accompanied cramps & backache. Finally slept. On bland diet, Immodium. 

Metamucil etc. Weak & shakey. 

Escitalopram far from “innocuous”

for me. 

Hanging in.

So sorry we’ve had to suffer from ignorance of Med Community & denial (greed?) of drug companies. 

Edited by Cynthia
Correct more gibberish - typing skills not quite back to par

Gracee

Hi Cynthia,   I applaud you for your restraint and composure during psychiatrist appointment.   You handled yourself perfectly, did everything right.   You doctor demonstrated what we already know of the medical community concerning psych drugs. We need to be our own advocates.   Thanks for sharing your experience; I've made notes for when I visit my doc in two months.

ChessieCat

Copying this here for your own reference:

2 hours ago, Cynthia said:

Hello all,

Joined SA the 1st week of this month. Dr had me drop from 10 mg Escitalopram to 5mg over 5 days then stop.

Couldn’t handle withdrawal (rushing noise in head, hearing eyes move in head, painful shocks L side of head - “brain zaps”. Hot flushes, heart puounding & severe diarrhea.). Went back up to 5 mg on day 4. Symtoms diminished & intermittent but not gone.

I saw my psychiatrist yesterday - came prepared with daily diary, list of my symptoms & extracts from publications validating withdrawal symptoms- a copy for her & one for myself & I told her ‘let’s read through [diary] together”. Held her attention for maybe 2 minutes. She said she had never heard this from any of her other patients going off. Escitalopram.  

I didn’t challenge her, said I hadn’t expected it either. By this time her copy of my well organized printouts had been tossed on a chair. 

I really had no expectations- but made sure to reiterate how I was feeling & what I’d gone thru after dropping & resuming at a lower dose. I am still suffering from diarrhea. SSRI’s now thought to be link contributing to microcellular colitis which I have + IBSD. Whis is why I was stepped quickly off Zoloft (Sertraline)  after 25 years & up on Escitalopram. She referred to escitalopram as a fairly innocuous drug!  Surprise. ...

We agreed I’d stay on 5mg to see if I can stabilize. 

I talked to her about a slow taper, possibly a liquid compound. She agreed ‘Then if you want,” she said, “we can cut it in half to 2.5mg”.  !!!

She didn’t get it. I told her no, (I may have yelped at this point) I’m talking slow - as suggested on this site- 10% at a time over a period of months. 

Our 10 minutes were up. I left feeling that I’m on my own & that I’d have to be my own advocate. 

Terrible diarrhea last night - from drug? From withdrawal? From stress? All of the above. 

Thank heavens for SA - otherwise I’d be scares shitless (I wish!).  

Great compassion for everyone here. So sorry we’ve had to suffer from ignorance of Med Community & denial of drug companies. 

Bless you all.