Sign in to follow this  
icequeen

Warning: potentially dangerous bowel problems

icequeen

Hi! I haven't been posting here for years but I must draw your attention to a withdrawal problem that can be dangerous. I withdrew rathder rapidly from sertraline almost fifteen years ago because they induced acute akathisia. I have since  then lived with horrible symptoms without much improvement and severe constipation has been and still is one of them. Anyway, it got so bad that I had to have two emergency surgeries for paralytic ileus about a year ago. Those of you who get constipation - please take laxatives  that increase bowel motility so you don't end up like me! Parts of my bowels were necrotic and had to be removed. The little improvement in other symptoms I had made - dizziness, spasms, hyponatremia, eye pain, weakness, sleeplessness, nausea shortness of breath, shaking, blurred vision etc etc were all made worse after the surgeries and I'm back in year one.  Never ignore  a troublesome physical symptom! 

ChessieCat
7 hours ago, icequeen said:

Those of you who get constipation - please take laxatives  that increase bowel motility

There are various ways to increase bowel motility by incorporating fibre into your diet as well as drinking plenty of water.  Psyllium husk, prunes, dried apricots, increase high fibre vegetables and change to bread with added fibre instead of refined white bread.  You can get some very nice high fibre breads now that aren't dry like in the "old days".  Gentle walking can also help.  Also don't wait if you feel the need to go.  That can cause problems or make them worse.  If you do need to take a laxative I suggest using the natural types, like Senokot, a brand name of senna, a natural vegetable laxative.  I would urge caution about using chemical laxatives.  Do your research.

icequeen

Yes, I know and knew about all that and it simply didn't work for me. I always eat whole grain rye bread and half of my meals are vegetables and fruits that are high in fiber but nothing worked for me. If you get severe constipation and simple methods like that don't work, watch out! It is dangerous. 

ChessieCat
55 minutes ago, icequeen said:

Yes, I know and knew about all that and it simply didn't work for me.

What I posted was general advice for the members.

icequeen
55 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

What I posted was general advice for the members.

I'm sorry if i sounded critical. It was not my intention but I thought you were replying to me.  The fibers do increase the volume of the stools but according to the hospital doctors I spoke to they do not increase motility. For some people more voluminous stools makes it easier to pass but the doctors said that the fibers can even slow down movement plus that the  higher your blood glucose and the higher the fat contents in your diet, the slower your bowels move. They do not know about the problems we have after antidepressants though and of course none but one of them believed me and that is no news to any victim of these poisonous drugs. Excpt for the motility increasing laxatives, the only thing I've found to be a bit effective is very strong coffee which I know many members here don't tolerate but luckily I do. 

bubbles

There is apparently evidence that reducing or eliminating fibre improves constipation