PerAsperaAdAstra

PerAsperaAdAstra: getting off of Paxil properly

PerAsperaAdAstra

Hi all!

I’m really happy to be on this platform to learn as much about tapering off of antidepressants as much as I can.

I have used Paxil/Seroxat for over 20 years and many of my attempts to get off them failed miserably.

My last attempt this year also failed, and got me in severe turmoil. Temporarily used Oxazepam and Diazepam to help me survive that period whilst Paxil started working again.

Little did I know benzodiazepines were such a difficult thing to get off of, so I tapered off it very slowly. Based on this ordeal I figured I’ve always been really stupid (understatement!) cold turkeying Paxil. That’s why I’m here to learn as much as possible so that I can wean off Paxil in the best possible way so I won’t make the same mistakes again I did in the past.

Hope to learn a lot here!

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded

Gridley

Welcome to SA, PerAsperaAdAstra.  Thanks for completing your drug signature.

How are you feeling now with your 30mg  reinstatement?  What was the reason you reinstated at 30mg instead of your previous 20mg?  

You will need to feel reasonably stable on your reinstatement before you start to taper.

Preparing to taper

At SA we recommend you taper at no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.  Some members need to taper more slowly.

The following link describes a method of micro tapering.  It was devised by Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, who successfully tapered off 40mg of Paxil.

These links explain the importance of tapering slowly.

This link explains how to make nonstandard doses.

To help you understand the symptoms you experienced when you CT'd Paxil, here is some information on withdrawal.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

PerAsperaAdAstra

Hi Gridley!

Thanks for the welcoming words. I will definitely absorb all the information you gave me!

Currently I'm feeling fairly well on my 30mg reinstatement. It took a while for me becoming stable again, and tapering off of the Diazepam benzodiazepine was hellish. But it makes me appreciate feeling normal all the more now! Why 30 mg instead of 20? Based on the crisis situation at the time I consulted with my GP, and we came to that dosage somehow. Totally forgot what was the reasoning, and probably 20mg would have also helped.

But since I now know what an effect tapering off of benzodiazepines has on the CNS I have come to respect antidepressants. They also have to be properly weaned off of. So I will surely adhere to the 10% rate per month / 6 weeks from now on.

PerAsperaAdAstra

I have digested all the information. Lots of useful information from people that have dabbled with the same things I have. 
I'm sure I'll be able to put it to good use once I will start tapering off of antidepressants.

Currently my GP and I have talked about waiting at least until April 2019 for me to become stable. From there I'll decide whether I'll start tapering or wanting to remain at 30 mgs a little longer.

If I will taper, I'm going to take it really slowly and see if I can make cuts happen in such a way that side effects are only present for some days and only marginally. If that necessitates making cuts of less than 10% I will definitely do that. No way will I put my body thru the stress of CT again.

PerAsperaAdAstra

Thanks Gridley! I've noticed that same thing about B. At times when I seemed particularly anxious B would rev me up even more.

At this moment however it seems to not cause discomfort. Will use it for a bit longer to return to a sort of baseline since I've jumped Diazepam one week ago.

I will surely put B under scrutiny whilst actually tapering Paxil. Thanks for the link, I will have a look at it!

PerAsperaAdAstra

I have been off the Oxazepam/Diazepam for a month now and I'm starting to feel better. Week 1 and 2 (and to a lesser extent 3) were horrible, and now it is starting to subside. Happy about that!

My GP and I have decided to see in April whether we will continue tapering Paxil. That depends on whether I'm stable enough. But I have the feeling that from now on I have the opportunity to let my CNS stabilise. 

In any way I'm still reading a lot of the materials here. I will definitely use the Brassmonkey slide method. And probably I will incorporate extra weeks to stabilise if need be.

Adili13

Thanks for responding to my page 

i have faith in you and you have faith in me. Let’s rejoice in our shared feelings of rooting each other on.

To more healing! 

PerAsperaAdAstra
29 minutes ago, Adili13 said:

Thanks for responding to my page 

i have faith in you and you have faith in me. Let’s rejoice in our shared feelings of rooting each other on.

To more healing! 

No problem at all! Saw you where also using Paxil and I was curious how you were faring! And since you seemed to be in a rough patch I couldn't do anything else than trying to encourage you as best as possible. We're all in this boat together and it'd be awesome if both of us could end this process by writing a fantastic success story in the end!

I will definitely keep following your posts here in the future!

To our healing and success!

Adili13

We will. Belief is central to healing, I truly believe that. 

Carmie

Hi PAAA, 

Hos are you doing?💚

PerAsperaAdAstra
1 hour ago, Carmie said:

Hi PAAA, 

Hos are you doing?💚

Thank you for your kind message Carmie! ♥️

I'm doing well, much appreciated. Starting to stabilise after last year's Paxil CT and benzo withdrawal. 

Currently reading a lot of other user's topic to encourage people where I can. Also reading a lot of the general topics to make sure that I don't make any stupid mistakes again while tapering. Planning to use the Brassmonkey slide method when I feel ready. And from 20 mg of Paxil I will go really slow. (the graphics about SERT occupancy were really useful!)

How are you doing? Thank you for all your efforts here on this forum, together with your fellow moderators and admins. Love the work you guys put in!

Carmie

Hi PAAA, 

I’m so happy you’re doing well, I’m really glad that the reinstatement worked. Yay!

That’s nice that you’re encouraging others, I’m sure that they really appreciate it. This certainly is a hard journey, and unless someone has gone through it it’s hard to understand and comprehend.

Doing the Brassmonkey slide sounds like a brilliant idea. I think most of us have made mistakes in the past. We can’t change the past though, we can only learn from it. What we need to focus on is today and moving forward. No amount of worrying about what happened in the past changes anything. Onwards and upwards!😁

All the best with your tapering when you start again.💚

Sebas

Good evening #landgenoot in hetzelfde schuitje. Ik stuur je een link naar de betreffende procedure. Deelname is nog mogelijk cq wenselijk. Formulier invullen en kleine bijdrage (€295) betalen. Bij langdurig gebruik/ernstige afbouwklachten en zeker indien je voor een bepaalde leeftijd begonnen bent. 

https://www.letselverhalen.nl/stichting-seroxatclaim

Je hebt al veel info geabsorbeerd lees ik. Mocht je nog vragen hebben dan weet je me te vinden. Afbouwen van paroxetine/seroxat middels suspensie kan ik je aanbevelen. Neem de tijd, het gaat vele jaren duren om het goed te doen.

PerAsperaAdAstra
On 3/21/2019 at 10:52 PM, Carmie said:

Hi PAAA, 

I’m so happy you’re doing well, I’m really glad that the reinstatement worked. Yay!

That’s nice that you’re encouraging others, I’m sure that they really appreciate it. This certainly is a hard journey, and unless someone has gone through it it’s hard to understand and comprehend.

Doing the Brassmonkey slide sounds like a brilliant idea. I think most of us have made mistakes in the past. We can’t change the past though, we can only learn from it. What we need to focus on is today and moving forward. No amount of worrying about what happened in the past changes anything. Onwards and upwards!😁

All the best with your tapering when you start again.💚

Thanks so much Carmie! It definitely is a hard journey and we both have the experience to share that it ain't a walk in the park. But the prize of getting through safe and sound is so rewarding. 

You have definitely been through a lot and it looks that the odds seemed stacked against you at multiple times in the past. Glad you're here now and able to tell your story to encourage others. I like your credo: onwards and upwards. :D.

And I'm ready for tapering. Got the Gemini scale for dry cutting. Made an Excel sheet with the proper calculations to get me from 30 MGAI to 20 MGAI or thereabouts. Let's do this!

♥️

PerAsperaAdAstra
On 3/21/2019 at 11:24 PM, Sebas said:

Good evening #landgenoot in hetzelfde schuitje. Ik stuur je een link naar de betreffende procedure. Deelname is nog mogelijk cq wenselijk. Formulier invullen en kleine bijdrage (€295) betalen. Bij langdurig gebruik/ernstige afbouwklachten en zeker indien je voor een bepaalde leeftijd begonnen bent. 

https://www.letselverhalen.nl/stichting-seroxatclaim

Je hebt al veel info geabsorbeerd lees ik. Mocht je nog vragen hebben dan weet je me te vinden. Afbouwen van paroxetine/seroxat middels suspensie kan ik je aanbevelen. Neem de tijd, het gaat vele jaren duren om het goed te doen.

Ha Sebas! Volgens mij hebben we allebei min of meer dezelfde tijd Seroxat (give or take) gebruikt. Tis best een pittige om af te bouwen hè? 🤣

Ik zal zeker bij je meelezen en vragen bij je droppen! Ik dacht altijd dat ik wel e.e.a. over antidepressiva en de werking van de hersenen wist maar hier heb ik absoluut weer dingen bijgeleerd. Had nooit kunnen bevroeden dat afbouwen zó langzaam zou moeten, en zeker bij lagere doses i.v.m. die zogenaamde SERT occupancy. 

Anyway, ik doe het zeker langzaam aan zoals je al aanbeval. Als het in jaren moet dan moet dat. Ik ga het ergens onder 20 MG met suspensie doen. Tot die tijd dry cutting.

Ben jij stabiel nu? (na je updose) Hoe gaat het met afbouwen? 

Ik zag in je signature staan dat je je afvraagt of je bij 5 ml **** stoppen met taperen. Voor wat het waard is: ik wil uiteindelijk onder de 1 uitkomen (net zoals bij de Diazepam) voordat ik jump. Desnoods op de lagere doses wat holds indien benodigd. 5 ml is toch nog best hoog?

PerAsperaAdAstra

En ik zal zeker kijken op de site van letselverhalen.nl of ik mij aan kan sluiten. 👍

Carmie
8 hours ago, PerAsperaAdAstra said:

Thanks so much Carmie! It definitely is a hard journey and we both have the experience to share that it ain't a walk in the park. But the prize of getting through safe and sound is so rewarding. 

You have definitely been through a lot and it looks that the odds seemed stacked against you at multiple times in the past. Glad you're here now and able to tell your story to encourage others. I like your credo: onwards and upwards. :D.

And I'm ready for tapering. Got the Gemini scale for dry cutting. Made an Excel sheet with the proper calculations to get me from 30 MGAI to 20 MGAI or thereabouts. Let's do this!

♥️

That’s great you got the Gemini scale PerAsperaAdAstra, 

Glad you’ve got your calculations ready too. Yes, let’s do this!😃💚