☼ cantbe: damaged by antipsychotic Abilify

cantbe

Hi all. I was admitted in the psych ward and was given Abilify 15mg for 2 weeks and then a 400mg Abilify Maintena Injection that's good for a month. I wasn't aware that Abilify was an antipsychotic and I was clueless about its brain damaging effects. I thought it was given to me simply for my anxiety and depression and I'm not schizophrenic at all. Now I'm suffering from the damage done to me by Abilify.

I'm now 2 months off Abilify. I'm off all medication and just waiting for the side effects to come off. I'm in a state of disbelief that such things are happening to me. I cannot believe my life could get any worse. Now I'm not good at explaining things in english so i'll just list down my symptoms.

-   Suffering from sexual dysfunction. Almost zero libido. Loss of arousal. I can still get erection but it's very weak then get little from ejaculation.

-   Insomnia. From the very first pill of Abilify I developed insomnia. Now I can't nap anymore, I don't feel sleepy in the afternoons anymore. I never had sleeping problems before Abilify. At night I only get a poor 2-4 semi-sleep with vivid dreams. Once I wake up I just lay in bed and I close my eyes hoping I'd fall again to sleep.

-   Anhedonia

-   Loss of my interests and hobbies

-   Lack of care about anything. Don't even care about my appearance anymore.

-   No motivation. Determination, ambitions all gone.

I only do things now just to distract myself not because I want to do them or they give me satisfaction or pleasure. 

I just distract myself now to escape the excruciating boredom.

I'm waiting and still hopeful this is just withdrawal and not permanent damage to my brain. I' m giving it about 2 years and if things don't change then it's game over for me. I can't live life like a lifeless zombie without a desire for anything for the rest of my life.

15mg Abilify - September 30, 2018 - October 10, 2018
1 Abilify Maintena 400mg Injection - October 10, 2018

• ChessieCat changed the title to cantbe: damaged by Abilify
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Cantbe.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

I wouldn't worry too much about "permanent damage" from this short term use. It's uncomfortable, but there's no reason to think you won't heal. I was exposed to varying doses of antipsychotics (and many other drugs) over a 30-year timeframe and I'm off all drugs and on the path to healing. 

It's possible you would benefit from a small reinstatement of Abilify. Please see:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

For more information on Abilify, including how to get to a very low dose that you would need for a reinstatement and taper, please see:

Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

You will find many helpful non-drug methods of handling your symptoms: 

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

For information on handling insomnia, please see:

Tips to help sleep: so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Questions - 

• Why were you hospitalized? Were you on any other type of psychiatric drug, alcohol, or a recreational drug? 
  • Are you taking any supplements? If so, please list them. 

Also, please add to your signature the exact dates in September that you were taking the 15 mg Abilify. Did you go directly from the tablet to the injection or were you off a number of days between the tablets and the injection?

The reason I'm asking is because if you were off the Abilify tablets for a number of days, it's possible that the injection was in response to Abilify withdrawal (so-called "rebound psychosis"), as opposed to what the doctor may have labeled a "mental illness". A small detail, but might help explain things and offer insight into whether a reinstatement is the correct course of action. 

Please continue to use this thread to document your symptoms and to ask plenty of questions. 

As you provide more information, we can better assist you. With insomnia starting at your first exposure to Abilify, I'm not sure a reinstatement is the right course, but would value your input. Please let us know your thoughts. 

• Administrator

Welcome, cantbe.

You had the injection 2 months ago or is it 3 months since you had the injection?

It sounds to me like you have after-effects from Abilify rather than withdrawal syndrome. These symptoms should very slowly go away. You'll have to be patient, it could take months. In the meantime, take care of yourself and be kind to your nervous system. Be sure to keep regular hours, don't stay up too late, get good sleep. No drinking or partying.

To avoid getting put back into the hospital, don't do anything odd in public or cause your family to panic.

To improve your sleep, see

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia 

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

A lot of people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/17/2019 at 12:12 AM, Shep said:

Questions - 

• Why were you hospitalized? Were you on any other type of psychiatric drug, alcohol, or a recreational drug? 
  • Are you taking any supplements? If so, please list them. 

Also, please add to your signature the exact dates in September that you were taking the 15 mg Abilify. Did you go directly from the tablet to the injection or were you off a number of days between the tablets and the injection?

22 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You had the injection 2 months ago or is it 3 months since you had the injection?

Please respond to Shep and Alto's questions.  Thank you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

-Shep
Thanks for the assurance this won't be permanent damage but as of now the insomnia, sexual dysfunction and apathy are causing me much distress. Trying to be hopeful and live only day by day. I was admitted to the psych ward by my mother because I had suicidal thoughts and was afraid I would harm myself. As for supplements I'm taking none.

-Alto
I had the injection on October 10,2018. The insomnia started as soon as the first tablet of Abilify. The sexual dysfunction happened slowly. It was gradual disappearance. Thanks for the links I will look into them.

• Administrator

Have your symptoms changed since the beginning of December?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

As far as those 3 main symptoms they haven't changed. Thanks for the concern guys. I will update the thread if things improve.

Anybody here recovered from antipsychotic-induced insomnia? I'm the opposite from most people. Mine started as soon I as I started abilify but what I'm reading most here is insomnia happened only after they've started tapering/withdrawing the drug. I can fall asleep at about 10pm but I can't stay asleep. I would wake up multiple times a night every 1-2 hours it seems. And by 3am or 5am I'm already wide awake not feeling rested at all. It seems like my day never ends. I've also lost the ability to nap during the day. I'm worried about permanent damage to my sleep and not being able to sleep properly again until I die

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/18/2019 at 5:52 PM, cantbe said:

Anybody here recovered from antipsychotic-induced insomnia? I'm the opposite from most people. Mine started as soon I as I started abilify but what I'm reading most here is insomnia happened only after they've started tapering/withdrawing the drug.

You're suffering from an adverse reaction, as opposed to the type of insomnia that results from a taper.

But people do recover from adverse reactions. 

On 1/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, cantbe said:

I was admitted to the psych ward by my mother because I had suicidal thoughts and was afraid I would harm myself.

Are you feeling safe now? If not, do you have a therapist or counselor you can talk to? 

On 1/17/2019 at 9:14 PM, cantbe said:

As for supplements I'm taking none.

Please have a read of the links I posted in my last post here on your thread regarding fish oil and magnesium. These may be very helpful in helping calm your nervous system so you can sleep. 

You're going to be fine, Cantbe. It can take a long time to recover from an adverse reaction, but there's no reason to think you won't heal from such short term use. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to cantbe: damaged by antipsychotic Abilify
On 1/19/2019 at 4:22 AM, cantbe said:

Anybody here recovered from antipsychotic-induced insomnia? I'm the opposite from most people. Mine started as soon I as I started abilify but what I'm reading most here is insomnia happened only after they've started tapering/withdrawing the drug. I can fall asleep at about 10pm but I can't stay asleep. I would wake up multiple times a night every 1-2 hours it seems. And by 3am or 5am I'm already wide awake not feeling rested at all. It seems like my day never ends. I've also lost the ability to nap during the day. I'm worried about permanent damage to my sleep and not being able to sleep properly again until I die

Every word reminded of my suffer in 2016.

Now I am healed.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

-Shep
I am okay now just worrying everyday and trying to accept my situation.

@rupa 
Thank you rupa for giving me hope! I hope I heal like you. As of now I sleep for about 2-3 hours from 10pm and wake up at 2am. Did you have other problems like anhedonia/apathy and pssd? Have you healed from those too? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Just chiming in to say that many of us can relate to the insomnia and the stress of not being able to sleep or nap. Know that you WILL see improvement, no matter how it may seem now.

Hold onto the reminders that this is temporary, healing will come, and healing is not a linear process. Some tools I have tried for insomnia (listed on the thread linked): sitting in the sun, melatonin supplements at night, chamomile tea, Epsom salt baths or foot soaks.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• 3 weeks later...

Can it really get better? There's no guarantee. My heart, soul and my guts is extremely tired from the insomnia and apathy and demotivation and I have pssd too. The pain is unbearable. The hopelessness is unbearable. The lack of solution is unbearable. The damage done by antipsychotics is unbelievable. It destroys your being human. I can't take the thought of being like this forever. Day after day I'm fighting hard mentally but I'm EXHAUSTED already. 

Me, too.   I have cut off several drugs, my last of latuda a month ago.  Then this week, out of the blue, the worst-of-the-worst.  I don't know if it's withdrawal or just me being defective again.  But I can't continue like this too long.  I can't find anything on here about the worst of the worst coming back as a withdrawal symptom, so I assume it's defective me.  Is my choice the hell of meds vs the hell of being me?  I can't take the thought of being like this forever, either.  I have been at this slow withdrawal by myself for 2 years, and after 2 years everyone on here is a lot better off than I am.  But somehow, someone telling me I've screwed up withdrawal, too, along with everything else, isn't hopeful.  

Past 2 years:  

Lithium 600 mg

Ativan prn (take  .5 or 1 mg about 2-3 times a month)

Lamictal 100 mg currently

diphenhydramine 75 mg

synthroid 131 mcg

propranolol 60 mg

Paxil 10 mg (now off)

Latuda 20 mg (now off)

Cymbalta 60 mg (now off)

Before that: 35+ antipsychotics, neuroleptics and antidepressants, list available

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, cantbe said:

Can it really get better? There's no guarantee. My heart, soul and my guts is extremely tired from the insomnia and apathy and demotivation and I have pssd too. The pain is unbearable. The hopelessness is unbearable. The lack of solution is unbearable. The damage done by antipsychotics is unbelievable. It destroys your being human. I can't take the thought of being like this forever. Day after day I'm fighting hard mentally but I'm EXHAUSTED already. 

Believe me when I tell you it can get better.  I've been off meds for just over four years, and I thought I'd never get better.  I used to log into SA and think, "Oh, everyone will get better but me, because they are not as bad as I am in the first place."  Thankfully, I was wrong about that, and I'm here as proof four years later that surviving and healing is possible.  I even saw one of my old posts the other day and was stunned to see how scared and sad I used to be!  I'm not like that anymore.  I didn't stay damaged forever.  

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

46 minutes ago, WiggleIt said:

Believe me when I tell you it can get better.  I've been off meds for just over four years, and I thought I'd never get better.  I used to log into SA and think, "Oh, everyone will get better but me, because they are not as bad as I am in the first place."  Thankfully, I was wrong about that, and I'm here as proof four years later that surviving and healing is possible.  I even saw one of my old posts the other day and was stunned to see how scared and sad I used to be!  I'm not like that anymore.  I didn't stay damaged forever.  

Thank you Wigglelt I hope I will make it like you. 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, cantbe said:

What is your sleep pattern now? Has it changed over the last month? Are you taking any supplements or herbs? Do you ingest a lot of caffeine?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey cantbe how are you doing now? This is going to be a slow process but I think you will make it. Keep in mind the half for maintenna shot is 46.5 days and typically takes 5 halfs to clear so thats a good few months just to clear the drug from your system. Its ganna be awhile but things will improve.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:52 PM, cantbe said:

Read my thread. Ive spared the most ugly details for myself. Ive been able to do some short not so stable naps Mars 2019 (if very bad sleep night before and Im tired) för the first time in 3 years. 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:43 PM, MrLonely said:

Hey cantbe how are you doing now? This is going to be a slow process but I think you will make it. Keep in mind the half for maintenna shot is 46.5 days and typically takes 5 halfs to clear so thats a good few months just to clear the drug from your system. Its ganna be awhile but things will improve.

Hi Mr Lonely. Are you on schizophrenia forum?

Anyway I'm feeling pretty much the same. Anhedonia, no motivation, no interests, not much thoughts in me head, insomnia (I get to sleep about 3-4 hours then wake up never able to get back to sleep again. No supplements help) and sexual dysfunction. I don't no how much longer I can last.

Edited by ChessieCat
Change question about identify to more general one

• Moderator Emeritus
38 minutes ago, cantbe said:

Are you on schizophrenia forum?

Please ask more specific questions via PM to maintain MrLonely's anonymity.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 5 months later...

Hi I just want to say I'm still alive and feeling good although my sleep is not the same. I was tricked into the psych ward by my mom last April because she felt like I was going to commit suicide and I was locked there for 4 months. They made me take mirtazapine for sleep and fluoxetine for depression. I got out the ward by July and I'm still currently taking both antidepressants. I will go back to my trusted psych and will have my meds tapered. Anyway I feel alive again. My thoughts, my motivation, my interests, my libido all came back! I don't know if this was because I retook meds or just the abilify going out of my system. But I'm just glad to have a second chance at life and thought I'd let you all know. ☺️

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for coming back to update.

I will ask the other mods which drug they think might be best to taper first.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

1 hour ago, cantbe said:

They made me take mirtazapine for sleep and fluoxetine for depression. I got out the ward by July and I'm still currently taking both antidepressants.

Please add this information (drug name, dates and doses) to your drug signatureAccount Settings – Create or Edit a signature

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, cantbe said:

Anyway I feel alive again. My thoughts, my motivation, my interests, my libido all came back! I don't know if this was because I retook meds or just the abilify going out of my system. But I'm just glad to have a second chance at life and thought I'd let you all know. ☺️

I'm glad you are doing much better, Cantbe.

What date did you discontinue the Abilify? 

You may want to hold for awhile to give your nervous system time to completely adjust to these drug changes. 

Hi I just want to say I'm still alive and feeling good although my sleep is not the same.

What do you mean by "my sleep is not the same"? Are you having trouble going to sleep or trouble with early awakenings? What time(s) of the day do you take your drugs? 

Is the mirtazapine helping with sleep? If so, that will likely be the last drug you taper, but as you let us know more about your situation, we can better advise you. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, Shep said:

What date did you discontinue the Abilify? 

On 9/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, Shep said:

What do you mean by "my sleep is not the same"? Are you having trouble going to sleep or trouble with early awakenings? What time(s) of the day do you take your drugs? 

Is the mirtazapine helping with sleep?

Please answer Shep's questions.  Thank you.

• Administrator
On 9/3/2019 at 3:50 PM, cantbe said:

Hi I just want to say I'm still alive and feeling good although my sleep is not the same. I was tricked into the psych ward by my mom last April because she felt like I was going to commit suicide and I was locked there for 4 months. They made me take mirtazapine for sleep and fluoxetine for depression. I got out the ward by July and I'm still currently taking both antidepressants. I will go back to my trusted psych and will have my meds tapered. Anyway I feel alive again. My thoughts, my motivation, my interests, my libido all came back! I don't know if this was because I retook meds or just the abilify going out of my system. But I'm just glad to have a second chance at life and thought I'd let you all know. ☺️

How much of everything are you taking, and at what times of day? How's your sleep now?

We need to know more about your situation to make suggestions.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply but back in September I said that my sleep wasn't the same. I was sleeping for about 4-5 hours each night and I thought that is how it's going to be from now on but come October I noticed my sleep was getting longer. I used to be waking up about 4am but that has changed to 6-7am. It's now a full 8hrs! I can finally sleep normal again. It took a year for my brain to recover from the Abilify Injection I got in October 2018. ☺️

• Moderator Emeritus

Because you're feeling better, I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol ☼ to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Glad you are doing better. :) Stay off psych meds forever from now on. Love life. I am sure you became stronger person from all this. Stay safe. 

2015 - Elicea for 2 months, quit cold turkey, survived withdrawal (brain zaps, severe depression)

2018 - april to july, Xanax, quit cold turkey, no serious withdrawal symptoms

2018 - august to late december, Mirtazapine, psychiatrist got me off it cold turkey

2019 - january to april, Seroxat, again stopped cold turkey, developed double vision if looking at close screens etc.

2019 - june to 13th november, Zyprexa (2.5mg-10mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking it

2019 - middle october to november 13th, Zoloft (0.6mg-25mg), tapered it on my own (few days) then stopped taking

Horrible withdrawal with severe insomnia afterwards, not feeling hungry or sleepy, never tired, stomach problems, nausea...

24th november - reinstated 2.5mg zyprexa

3rd december - 5mg zyprexa

new symptoms - glare, halos around lights, muscle twitching worse, eyelid and cheek twitching every 5-10 minutes

11th january 2020 - 4.3mg zyprexa 

Late 2020 (gradually finished the taper back then) to present - meds free. No improvements regarding sleep. Developed dry eyes because lack of it. Only positive change is that I do feel sleepy now but sleep is the same, broken and not good.

6 hours ago, Jen1234 said:

Great news! Are you still on mirt and fluoxetine? So happy your sleep is better. Gives me some hope 

I'm not on fluoxetine anymore but I'm still on a 1/4 tablet mirtazapine which we will taper as per my doc on January next year. Btw I can sleep without the mirtazapine. Just the other day I forgot to take it one night and I still slept the whole night! ☺️

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not on fluoxetine anymore but I'm still on a 1/4 tablet mirtazapine which we will taper as per my doc on January next year.

Please update your signature to reflect the date your started the mirtazapine and the dose. A direct link to your signature is here: 

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

Please see the below link for information on tapering mirtazapine: 

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

If you start out with the recommended 10% reduction per month and find your sleep gets worse, you may want to consider a micro-taper:

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

The Brassmonkey Slide Method of Micro-tapering

Please let us know how you do in January as you start your taper.

I hope you continue the healing trend. 

• 2 years later...

and what about the anhedonia, did you recover your emotions and joy?

32 years old. Male. Schizophrenia: postive sympthoms at 21 and 23 years old. Then coping with negative sympthoms (anhedonia, apathy). Nowadays working and with nice social support. 

2012 - 2020: Risperdal 10mg to Abilify 7.5mg then Switching to Abilify 2.5mg, other times 5mg/2.5mg alternating days... ; 2018: Started lamotrigine 50mg. 5mg/2.5mg Abilify alternating

2019: Tapering cold turkey lamotrigine 50mg. 5mg/2.5mg Abilify alternating

2021 - March: I discovered SurvivingAntidepressants, thanks to Altostrata and the website's community. Started with 3.6mg Abilify, hold Lamotrigine(50mg)

2021 April: 3.2mg Abilify, Lamotrigine 50mg; 2021 May: 2.9 mg Abilify, Lamotrigine 50mg; 2021 June: tried hold 2.9mg Abilify, finally return to 3.2mg. Lamotrigine 50mg

2022 July: 2mg Abilify, Cymbalta 30mg. 

2022 August: 1.5mg Abilify, Cymbalta only 10 beads.

2022 September: 1mg Abilify, 150mg Wellbutrin. At this moment, I honestly think that I need some meds to live in good conditions.

2023 February: 0mg Abilify, 0mg Cymbalta. I'm quite fine at this moment. I hope in the future also.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi cantbe,

We'd love you to drop in and provide an update on how you are doing.