Softcell: withdrawal - 17 yrs Seroxat / Paxil / paroxetine

Softcell

I'm sorry I don't really know how or where to put my drug signature on here. ?????  .

Just though was there any update on thoughts of reinstatement,   since the thought was put into question again.  Or should I leave well alone.  

2002 to 2018. 20mg seroxat daily. 

January 2018 to july 2018  tapered 20mg down to.10mg

10mg daily now from july 2018. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Softcell

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

• Longroadhome

• Administrator

You're still taking 10mg? What time of day do you take Paxil, what's your current symptom pattern, how's your sleep?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes I am still on the 10mg.  I take the seroxat at 9.30am each day with food.  sleep is from 2 to 6 hours depending on symptoms.  Symptoms are not consistant.  Head trauma had decreased last week but increased this week differently.  Usual side and rear pressure/elastic band type.  then speraerodic harder more deeper like freezes to lower back of head, Followed by waves of deep flu like hot pains arms legs body.  Last for 1 to 4 hours then goes.  Then returns anywhere from 1 to 4 hours again.  Inner shakes feeling every day, stronger in mornings.   Funny sensation in the genital area, often throughout the day but does go away sometimes. Restless legs on and off.  Joint pains on and off all day. Anxiety on and off.  I do get long periods where flu like symptoms are not present. I just have the head issues and the joint/bone issues on and off.  But if I do too much I get fatigued.  

Hello again.  Just a question on waves and the severity of waves and  about windows.

My today state is the usual head trauma that's on and off. Weak/painful  limbs, funny groin restless legs and general  inner shakes, noise sensitivity. This seems to be a general state I'm in day to day . Is this a wave?  Or even stabilization?  As I have periods of where more symptoms appear and intensify that lasts a few hours at a time. Is this a wave?  Then I have a period where symptoms decreased, not gone away, just decreases.  Is this a window?  Or is a window  completely free of symptoms?

Just to try and clarifying waves and windows. 

Many thanks for all the help and info on this site, its really invaluable. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard from anyone here since I last wrote a few posts. I do hope I haven't upset anyone with all my questions.   

Just an update on my symptoms.   I'm still fighting the urge to reinstate a small dose.  That's since it was mentioned here again and also since my symptoms have ramped up somewhat in the last week or so. I'm reading the rounds here and finding the pros and cons of it.  The akathisia  risk really frightens me most about it. 

Mainly the flu like feeling has increased dramatically with it being constant presentation  with higher and lower intensities. Genital discomfort on and off throughout the day. Brain trauma almost constant. Sleep issues.  Limb weakness pain burning and tingling each day.  I'm not going to write a great deal. I have a lot of questions but will leave until a moderator gets time.   

Hi Softcell. Sending strength to you. You might want to tag a few moderators if you need quicker responses. Use the "@" symbol and their name. Like this: @Softcell 😊. You can peck around and find a list of moderators on the site. 

2002-ish-April 2018: Prozac 40mg (was on 20mg for many of those years); Jan-April 2018: too fast "taper" off Prozac

July 2018: Tried lowest dose dose Lexapro for 3 weeks; quick tapered off; Aug-Nov. 2108: Ambien and Ambien CR for sleep (appx 10 total doses). Made depression worse and did not work; Nov 2018: 7 doses .5mg Ativan for sleep over 12 days time. Stopped.

December 2018: One week Remeron for sleep. Did not work or help. "Tapered" off over a few weeks.

In past years also took/tried Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil; Current supplements: 1 mg Melatonin; Transdermal magnesium; Fish oil; Ketotifen (mast cell stabilizer), vitamin C; milk peptides 

March 26, 2019: Re-instated  0.5mg Prozac; April 15, 2019 Started 0.75mg Prozac May 6 2019: 1mg Prozac; May 27: 1.25mg Prozac; July 29,  2019: Began 1.25mg Lamotrigine

@Altostrata Hi.  I have not heard from anyone here for a while??  

• Administrator

You are having waves. Have your symptoms gotten better or worse over the last 6 months?

Do you feel any different a few hours after you take 10mg Seroxat? How do you feel different?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply.  I am still on the 10mg daily.  Yes I would say symptoms have worsened a little.  I wouldn't say now i feel any difference after taking the drug.  The head pressure is immense.  It does ease sometimes which is reassuringly helpful, but its there most of the day.  I now use magnesium oil as opposed to tablets and fish capsules. My drug profile is so simple compared to others that I've read here.   Even tough I'm in the same withdrawal position surely that could help. I take no sleeping aids at all.  I try to keep a strict sleeping routine going and apart from when symptoms are in overload I usually get some good repetitive nights sleep.   Just a question about drinking. Is it always best to drink water. But what teas are ok.  

Thank you

13 hours ago, Softcell said:

Thanks for the reply.  I am still on the 10mg daily.  Yes I would say symptoms have worsened a little.  I wouldn't say now i feel any difference after taking the drug.  The head pressure is immense.  It does ease sometimes which is reassuringly helpful, but its there most of the day.  I now use magnesium oil as opposed to tablets and fish capsules. My drug profile is so simple compared to others that I've read here.   Even tough I'm in the same withdrawal position surely that could help. I take no sleeping aids at all.  I try to keep a strict sleeping routine going and apart from when symptoms are in overload I usually get some good repetitive nights sleep. I do have long periods where   my legs,  groin and lower arms get such a strange feeling uncomfortable and inner shakes.  Also a high need to drink and urinate. And stop me sleeping. I don't have any limb movements or need to pace. I hope that's not   akathesia.

Just a question about drinking. Is it always best to drink water. But what teas are ok.  

Thank yourself

Yes I'm here again.  I feel alone in this war.  My head is burning me alive with Shakes Spasms and freezes. My body is all shakes. My skin is burning.  I have incredible thirst.  I cant close my eyes and rest.  What the hell!  Shall I try to updose again.  Is it too late now. Will it do more harm.  I just don't know anymore.  

@Altostrata  here once more.  I at a point of coming here feeling its my only outlet. Is there no other responders only altostrata.  I'm getting pressure to reinstate from my wife as a solution to instant wellness when stuff has turned bad.  she not looking at if she cant   deal with this, how will she cope if reinstatement goes wrong.    

Is this relentless  pressure in my head considered normal.  Just stuck 

I hang here all the time waiting for some contact, trying to find some way forward with this nightmare.  I forget previously asked questions now.  I'm scanning through story after story. Trying find something. 

I got used to the initial rapid responders here.   You are the only people that can make any sense of this to me.  I have to come here for guidance to relay this feedback to my partner.  its said what's the point coming here and asking if they don't even reply,  I should do what our doctor said to go back on the drug dose that I was on and more.   Like its that simple.  I was shown a polish forum website that my wife found where people where praising the drugs and dropping on and off with no problems at all.  Was told.its just my original symptoms.coming back. I have to get back on the drugs. It is pressure now to do this.  I understand this website it not only here for me. Many in crisis.  How people still work with this I will never know.    I got to struggle to a physco doctor today. I haven't slept in 4 nights, my head is rampant pain. Will get back with the results

Follow-up the advice experienced people have been giving you regarding a small updose. It's supposed to give some releave eventually. It's a meaningful strategy in situations like this. Hang in there.

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).

Hi softcell, I just wished to extend my support such as I am able to offer right now, as a veteran of withdrawal.  I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. It can be so hard to know what decision to make especially when you are in the midst of such bad symptoms.

Also I don't know if you are still looking for an answer to the question posed up thread but what kind of teas did you wish to know about?  Generally speaking you will want to avoid caffeinated teas (and decaf as they have caffeine in them too), also there are a few herbal teas that I would avoid for sure, milk thistle and St. John's Wort would be two that would not be a good idea to take while on pills (milk thistle can cause pills to flush out of your system faster from what I've been told by a professional; St. John's Wort is not supposed to be mixed with antidepressants).  Definitely if you take others look up to make sure there is no interaction with Paxil.  Also some people become very sensitive to certain things while in withdrawal, some can't tolerate many if any herbal teas for a while.  I had great difficulty with many initially though eventually as I recovered I was able to try tiny amounts and find some that I could tolerate.  I was eventually able to have caffeine again and try quite a few.  I cold turkeyed though so that might make me more sensitive than most.

Wishing you good health,

US

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

On 4/19/2019 at 5:16 AM, Softcell said:

I hang here all the time waiting for some contact, trying to find some way forward with this nightmare.  I forget previously asked questions now.  I'm scanning through story after story. Trying find something. 

I got used to the initial rapid responders here.   You are the only people that can make any sense of this to me.  I have to come here for guidance to relay this feedback to my partner.  its said what's the point coming here and asking if they don't even reply,  I should do what our doctor said to go back on the drug dose that I was on and more.   Like its that simple.  I was shown a polish forum website that my wife found where people where praising the drugs and dropping on and off with no problems at all.  Was told.its just my original symptoms.coming back. I have to get back on the drugs. It is pressure now to do this.  I understand this website it not only here for me. Many in crisis.  How people still work with this I will never know.    I got to struggle to a physco doctor today. I haven't slept in 4 nights, my head is rampant pain. Will get back with the results

Soft cell I am reading your thread and it’s like reading about myself . You have read my thread and I have replied to you. We have the same history of too fast a taper from Paxil . 

Let me tell you my head symptoms are EXACTLY the same as yours . So intense it unbalances me at times. On and off and different angles in my head. Like a migraine some of the time then changes to the back of my head then numbness then random internal pains . Now you have the same it’s definitely wd not anything else that’s causing it . Like you I’m not chNging anything but the symptoms keep coming . 

Ill get back to you within 24 end of Easter family gathering . 

Its uncanny how similar our stories and symptoms are ! 

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

You can get liquid seroxat from doctors. 

You need to purchase syringes I will send you a link . 

I re instated 1.5mg . Did not make any difference . Went from 7mg to 8.5mg and I’ve stayed there.,

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

• Administrator

The only way to tell if a little more paroxetine might help is to take a little more paroxetine and keep daily notes of the time of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. With paroxetine liquid, which you might be able to get by prescription, I might add 0.5mg to your current dose of 10mg for a total of 10.5mg per day.

If you need to, this topic explains how to make your own liquid Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

A little bit can go a long way. If it helps, you can track it for a while and then decide if you want to increase again. We worry about kindling symptoms with larger dosage increases.

@AltostrataJust to let you know before I attempt a up dose again.  I have developed a  new symptom over the last week on and off, lasting for periods of hours at a time.  Maybe akathisia.  Feeling of restlessness and urge to move my legs, also genital area, stomach and lower arms.  I also getting a deep rear head ache burning. I feel my brain is shaking inside  with upper body inner shakes.  I cant rest or go to sleep.  Things are definitely worsening.   With these new symptoms especially. Should I still try reinstatement. Please reply

• Administrator

Are these symptoms worse at any particular time of day? How about after you take Seroxat?

Have you accidentally skipped a dose recently? Are your tablets old or have they been exposed to heat or moisture?

@Altostrata The akathesia type symptoms are sporadic throughout the day also accompanied with like a burning skin on lower legs.  I feel the need to move but its not essential, but  I do cross my legs somewhat.  I have no mental issues with it like suicidal or rage or ocd.  Also no involuntary movements.   No skipped doses or exposure to anything. Sometimes the throb at the back of the head is linked to its initial starting.  

I many thanks your reply.  I didn't realise the volume of people on this site needing help.  I'm also not aware of how many moderators are here either, as I seem to be at your door repeatedly. 

Once again thank you so much. 

• Administrator

That sounds like waves of symptoms to me. Your symptom pattern does not sound like an adverse reaction to the Seroxat dose. 

Again, if you want to try a tiny updose, you'll see if that's the right direction. 

I don't know what else to suggest. There are only a few ways to go -- up, down, sideways. 

Other than that, there's crossover to Prozac to bridge off Paxil. Best to work with a doctor on that. The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Not being doctors, we can't prescribe additional drugs for you, I'm sorry.

@Altostrata thank you for all your information. .  I must now choose what to do .  Thank you again

• Administrator

I'm very sorry I can't be more definite about what you should do. I can't predict what will work, you'll have to feel your way along. That's what everybody does here.

@AltostrataI really understand there is no definite answers.  Its a gamble..  I will let you know what I decide to do. Thank you again for you relentless work in helping us all

@Altostrata a few changes to report over the last 6 days. I seem to be getting worse.  My hearing has become more sensitive, to a degree that sounds  hurts my head. I am feeling ever more weak and fatigued.  My digestion has become an issue with stomach aches and nausea,  also my poop has turned yellow.    Also I feel I have a bladder infection, like pain discomfort and needing to wee.  The pain around the pubic area and genital pain. Especially penile pain. I am currently drinking plenty of water.    Should I visit a doctor for some blood tests to see whats going on?   Incidentally I am still holding at 10mg daily.  

Thank you

9 hours ago, Softcell said:

@Altostrata a few changes to report over the last 6 days. I seem to be getting worse.  My hearing has become more sensitive at some points. I am feeling ever more weak and fatigued, a lot more muscle twitches.   Head has become more deeper throbbing pain.   My digestion is an issue with stomach aches and nausea,  also my poop has turned yellow.    I feel I have a bladder infection, like pain discomfort and needing to wee.  The pain around the pubic area and genital pain. Especially penile pain. I am currently drinking plenty of water.  The only thing that has eased is the flu like symptoms are more weaker now.     Should I visit a doctor for some blood tests to see whats going on?   Incidentally I am still holding at 10mg daily.  

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

@Altostrata just an update of my situation. I'm still holding the 10mg dose. I have not taken any other drugs to assist with withdrawals full stop, Only use the Magnesium and fish oil..  just want to keep things as clear and simple as possible for as long as I can.  So 7 months now and my symptoms remain. Symptoms are constantly fluctuating in severity and unpredictable episodes. They are to long to list .   Mostly it was physical, but some now are brain related.  Anxiety is now a regular occurrence and agoraphobia is appearing. Repetitive pointless thoughts and fear also. Sleep more difficult these days.  I would say waves are getting stronger and longer. Windows do appear, but they always did.  I feel I'm in some super slow motion withdrawal, yet to reach a plateau. 

Soft cell. There are many of us on Facebook for social support

This site is the best place for medical questions and to keep your daily symptoms 

but to just vent this  Facebook  group is great. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/204732929546136/?ref=share

*Currently at 8.2-8.5 mg of my 10mg pill of Paxil (they actually weigh 12.5mg) 

january 2023 I began reducing my med again. I was a 9mg weight for years, I went to 8.9 in January, went to 8.6mg in February, and in March 2023 I went down to 8.5-8.2 mg ( my scale varies, so I stick within that .3 range because of that) 

*No other supplements or vitamins 

*Taper schedule in the pdf 

Blank.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-5vShtJtwAOGA30OxIP87steLmMdFzD29F0fzAPD564

11 hours ago, Softcell said:

@Altostrata just an update of my situation. I'm still holding the 10mg dose. I have not taken any other drugs to assist with withdrawals full stop, Only use the Magnesium and fish oil..  just want to keep things as clear and simple as possible for as long as I can.  So 7 months now and my symptoms remain. Symptoms are constantly fluctuating in severity and unpredictable episodes. They are to long to list .   Mostly it was physical, but some now are brain related.  Anxiety is now a regular occurrence and agoraphobia is appearing. Repetitive pointless thoughts and fear also. Sleep more difficult these days.  I would say waves are getting stronger and longer. Windows do appear, but they always did.  I feel I'm in some super slow motion withdrawal, yet to reach a plateau. 

Hi Softcell 

I’m exactly the same lots of symptoms old and new they go they come they stay they turn into something else etc etc never ending . 10 months now since all this started. I don’t expect any changes for the better short term . Many waves small windows though not convinced they’re windows more the odd day where I just cope better.  . 

Im decreasing my pregabalin (hopefully off next month) while holding my dose on Paxil 8.4mg. I dropped .1mg to see how I went. No great changes but who knows when symptoms are so interchangeable.

im eager to continue my Paxil taper before the end of summer . 

How are you managing day to day? 

• 2 weeks later...

@Altostrata can anyone answer a medication question.  I have a hiatus hernia and used to take ranitidine and a ppi drug about 3 years ago.  I altered my diet to more alkaline and the reflux became manageable so got off the ppi,

Even though I was advised to keep on them as I was pre Barretts esophagus. 

I'm currently in 7 months withdrawals and my reflux has returned worse than ever. Is there any risk in starting the ranitidine again whilst my CNS is in shock. Will it cause further damage or cause other conditions like akathesia.

1 hour ago, Softcell said:

@Altostrata can anyone answer a medication question.  I have a hiatus hernia and used to take ranitidine and a ppi drug about 3 years ago.  I altered my diet to more alkaline and the reflux became manageable so got off the ppi,

Even though I was advised to keep on them as I was pre Barretts esophagus. 

I'm currently in 7 months withdrawals and my reflux has returned worse than ever. Is there any risk in starting the ranitidine again whilst my CNS is in shock. Will it cause further damage or cause other conditions like akathesia.

Just a update on my previous comment. I suffered silent reflux and was my main complaint with heartburn only occasionally.  I took ranitidine at one point, then a ppi called dexilent. . I took theses drugs whilst on seroxat/paxil woth no problems. My reflux Is now returned ten fold even with a clean diet ,  I am on 10mg daily of seroxat still and no other drugs.  I've read what I can here about histamine with ranitidine but to be honest I'm baffled.  I guess all meds pose a risk in this condition, but will ranitidine effect my poor CNS,  I know acid suppression drugs are bad. But Barrets is a serious condition in itself

Softcell 

Thinking of you and wondering how it’s going ? 

On 6/10/2019 at 7:19 PM, Longroadhome said:

Softcell 

Thinking of you and wondering how it’s going ? 

I am doing pretty bad. My symptoms are increasing by the week.  I'm try to get a couple of questions answered here, but get no replies.  I was even referred to go a facebook group.  I seen people been here a couple of years and getting regular respondent's.  I'm very concerned about my wellbeing and future state.  I can only read through the pages here trying to find an answer of some description.  How are you getting on

Hi softcell

ask another mod:

camie

brass monkey

andy

chessie cat

i have different symptoms cropping up all the time new, old, worse, better. 

I’m  going to start to taper soon as although I’m getting new symptoms generally they are not extreme either way and as I started with poop out I don’t think things will change for me until I get further down on my dose which at the moment is 8.4mg . 

I had a lot going on at work the last few weeks and my depression and anxiety increased but it seems to be settling now a little. 

I have very few windows if any . The suffering is constantly in the background . Sometimes unbearable but you have to keep moving forward. 

Its a matter of time and unfortunately we have a way to go. 

How are your symptoms ? Do you have constant depression and anxiety ? 

Keep pressing for answers someone will respond . 

Take care