PattyCake: Lexapro withdrawal

PattyCake

Hi Everyone. I am new to this site. I took 10mg of Lexapro for 10 years. I began taking it during my divorce. I tapered off under a doctor’s supervision. The first few weeks were fine, then I started experiencing times of weepiness or anger and then back to normal. Recently, symptoms have become more severe. I am either so depressed, I can’t function or I am in a constant state of panic. I am the sole caregiver of 2 chronically ill adult young daughters. They are doing ok now, but I still need to provide for them, as they can’t work. I am terrified this will never end. I forced myself out of bed to get a few things done, but it was really hard. I have ordered a supplement for depression and anxiety. Will this nightmare ever end?

2009 1mg Klonopin

2009 Escitalopram 10mg 

February 2019 tapered for one month

March, April, May 10th off. 

May 10th RI Escitalopram .25 mg

• Altostrata changed the title to PattyCake Lexapro withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, PattyCake.

When did you take your last dose of Lexapro? Do you have any left?

If I were you, I would not take that supplement, it might have something in it that's too stimulating.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

My last dose was 3 months ago. I have been reading through the posts. I think I’m going to hold off on the supplement. Thanks

2009 1mg Klonopin

2009 Escitalopram 10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PattyCake.  Please can you create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

We haven't found any supplements that cure withdrawal syndrome.  Sometimes individual members may find a specific supplement to help with specific symptoms.  In general we only recommend magnesium and omega-3 (fish oil) - many people find them helpful, although not everyone.

What are your current symptoms?  If your symptoms are very severe and debilitating, you might want to consider reinstating a very small dose.  In general, reinstatement tends to work better when done sooner rather than later.  After three months off, it's a gamble, but it's possible you may still get some reduction in severity of symptoms.  Please read this topic very thoroughly, especially the top post:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  We can't tell you whether to reinstate or not, as we have no way to predict the outcome - all we can do is provide as much information as we can so you can make an informed decision.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Couldn’t take it anymore. I was still functioning and able to work, but life events have slammed me down RI .25mg of citalopram. 

2009 1mg Klonopin

2009 Escitalopram 10mg 

• Mentor
2 minutes ago, PattyCake said:

Couldn’t take it anymore. I was still functioning and able to work, but life events have slammed me down RI .25mg of citalopram. 

This seems like a sensible thing to do. I hope it goes well for you.

R

= medication taken now

2007 quetiapine to March 2019 200mg

2019 quetiapine March to present 225mg 

2007 citalopram to present 40mg 
2018 March Abilify 5mg  
2019 Abilify February rapid taper over 3 weeks from 5mg to off

2019 March Clonazepam as required, taken very occasionally, then taken 0.5mg for 2 days 28th and 29th March, now phased out

2019 1st April reinstated Abilify 0.5mg / day 

2018 to 2020 Liquid B12 2g twice daily (diagnosed B12 deficiency) 

2020 July reduced quetiapine to 200mg

2022 October began taper of Abilify

3 minutes ago, RichT said:

This seems like a sensible thing to do. I hope it goes well for you.

R

Thanks. I feel hopeless

2009 1mg Klonopin

2009 Escitalopram 10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus
6 minutes ago, PattyCake said:

Hi PattyCake,

Given that Citalopram is very closely related to Escitalopram (Lexapro), this shouldn’t be an issue, but is there any reason why you started Citalopram instead? 

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

Sorry. It’s escitalopram

2009 1mg Klonopin

2009 Escitalopram 10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

That makes sense. Being a strong drug mg for mg, that’s a sensible reinstatement dose. Please give it a full week or two for the dosage to register and to monitor for any positive/adverse reactions.

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

• Moderator Emeritus

It will be helpful to track your symptoms using the note format below. Please remember to take your dose at the same time every day and to record all details of symptoms, meal timings, drug dosages and sleep quality. 

By using the note format below, you will be able to assess objectively the effect of the reinstatement. We will also be able to see whether there are any windows/wave patterns or clear adverse reactions after the daily dosage. 

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

How do I cut up the pills.

2009 1mg Klonopin

2009 Escitalopram 10mg 

• 3 years later...

Long, slow withdrawal from Lexapro

Hi Everyone,

I have been on for 12 years. Started at 10mg. Two years ago, I went down to 5mg. I was on that for a year or so. Next was 2.5mg, then 1.25. I had no problem with this schedule. I started taking 1.25mg every other day for a few months. Still fine. Went down to 1.25 twice a week for 2 months. Fine. Finally, stopped taking them entirely a month and a half ago. I was absolutely fine. Zero  withdrawal symptoms. About two weeks ago, I started having panic attacks, getting weepy and angry. I have started opening a lot of time on self-care: exercise, meditation, journaling, grounding. Some days are pretty good. Some days I feel like I'm losing the battle and living in crazy town. I have to travel to England at the end of the month for work. It will be the first time I will be so far away from my medically complex children. I'm experiencing very few physical symptoms, except occasional loss of appetite which happens when I'm depressed. I'm worried this won't go away and I will be unable to work in England. I talked to my doctor and they gave me propranolol 20 mg, to take the edge off until after my trip. I've only taken it once and it seemed ok, but today has been awful and now I'm sitting in front of my bottle of Lexapro thinking of going back to 1.25. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

2009 1mg Klonopin

2009 Escitalopram 10mg 

• ChessieCat changed the title to PattyCake: Lexapro withdrawal
  • Administrator

Hello, @PattyCake

Compared to our method, your way of going off escitalopram was very irregular. It's possible your current odd symptoms might be from withdrawal or the neurophysiological stress of your taper. However, you also seem to say you've been mostly fine, but maybe recently a little bit not fine now and then.

Though you were sort of determined to go off your way, you are also looking at a bottle of pills as a solution for situational stress. Have your considered psychotherapy or other counseling rather than drugs?

I have started opening a lot of time on self-care: exercise, meditation, journaling, grounding. 

I hear this is something that well people do to take care of themselves and stay healthy.

On 11/1/2022 at 12:02 PM, PattyCake said:

Some days I feel like I'm losing the battle and living in crazy town. I have to travel to England at the end of the month for work. It will be the first time I will be so far away from my medically complex children. I'm experiencing very few physical symptoms, except occasional loss of appetite which happens when I'm depressed.

This is a site for going off drugs. Sorry, we cannot advise you on whether you should go back on any amount of escitalopram or other antidepressant for what may be worry or life problems.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.