Zyprexa19

Can progesterone help people heal from psychiatric drug withdrawal?

Zyprexa19

Hi,

i came across this scientific paper on the use of the sex hormone progesterone in traumatic brain injury cases

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6025750/?fbclid=IwAR3Cfkbz8ZBDHQ26fkH5iXobY_mi_WalETazszqGYtxe_pe24HE_KYMTJ7I

apparently progesterone naturally helps the brain achieve neuronal “homeostasis” and has “neuroprotective” qualities.

Progesterone has also been identified as an effective cure for insomnia and sleep apnea 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17168724/

could it be that if we approached psych drug withdrawal the same way we treated traumatic brain injury that patients would achieve better discontinuation outcomes?

also see this article 

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/12/26/this-natural-hormone-can-help-heal-your-brain-injury.aspx

I have hope that there might be a relatively safe way to mitigate the horror of Zyprexa withdrawal 

What do you think?

TedB

I don't know what to think but mine is ORDERED!! I'll try anything!! 

SDOE

Very Interesting.  Thank you for sharing.

Altostrata

Please follow these instructions before starting a topic in Journals

@Zyprexa19 please start another topic in the correct format and I'll archive this one.

siwoue

I used Progesteronecream for 2 months, and that was my worst choice. Got severe damage on my cns and immunesystem. Have been going to my neurologist and endokrinolog for some months now :( just my experience. 

rapunzel2

this is very interesting!

I have been withdrawing from Prozac and Seroquel for over 6 years. the withdrawals have been bad. however, I decided to try to get pregnant, still. at the end of 2018 I had missed miscarriage. we found out on 11th week.

the whole pregnancy I was feeling beyond horrible. extremely tired, sleep horribly messed up, depression and crying. but after this miscarriage I have been able to withdraw at an impressive speed (for me). and withdrawals have not been that bad anymore. I really think it's because of the progesterone? I heard that it can also sensitize serotonin receptors. 

bubble
52 minutes ago, rapunzel2 said:

at the end of 2018 I had missed miscarriage. we found out on 11th week.

Hello again Rapunzel!

Very sorry to hear about the miscarriage. I also got pregnant this year while still taking Lexapro and Xanax and after 5 years of tapering at the age of 42. I made it to week 24 at the moment. I was also feeling very unwell at the beginning of pregnancy but those appeared to be mostly regular pregnancy symptoms. 

55 minutes ago, rapunzel2 said:

have been able to withdraw at an impressive speed (for me). and withdrawals have not been that bad anymore. I really think it's because of the progesterone?

I was able to reduce Xanax in half in 3 months which would take me at least a year or two under normal circumstances. I also attributed it to progesterone. I have hit a wall recently and started worrying I will still crash badly especially once the progesterone drops. 

I wish you all the best with realizing pregnancy. I started feeling a lot better after the first trimester and really enjoy my pregnancy. Both baby and me are doing well so far but of course I worry a lot about the baby being exposed... but there was no other way. Keep in touch.

Altostrata

I moved this topic to the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

There are many discussions of progesterone in this forum, please use search to find them.

Generally, taking female hormonal supplements is dicey, even for females. Traumatic brain injury can be so devastating, people are willing to take higher risks in the hopes of an improvement.

I would be very surprised if anything was a miracle cure for iatrogenic psychiatric drug effects.

rapunzel2
On 6/22/2019 at 9:46 PM, bubble said:

Hello again Rapunzel!

Very sorry to hear about the miscarriage. I also got pregnant this year while still taking Lexapro and Xanax and after 5 years of tapering at the age of 42. I made it to week 24 at the moment. I was also feeling very unwell at the beginning of pregnancy but those appeared to be mostly regular pregnancy symptoms. 

I was able to reduce Xanax in half in 3 months which would take me at least a year or two under normal circumstances. I also attributed it to progesterone. I have hit a wall recently and started worrying I will still crash badly especially once the progesterone drops. 

I wish you all the best with realizing pregnancy. I started feeling a lot better after the first trimester and really enjoy my pregnancy. Both baby and me are doing well so far but of course I worry a lot about the baby being exposed... but there was no other way. Keep in touch.

Whoah, bubble, congratulations, I'm so happy for you! Wishing you smooth pregnancy and 4th trimester ;) I hope everything will be allright with you and the baby. is it your first child?

That's very interesting that you have been able to speed up as well. I have also gone down impressively since January - from 3,4mg to 1,4mg - unbelievable tempo. this would have taken me also 1-2 years in regular speed. 

With this going on, I'm secretly hoping I manage to ditch the drugs before I get pregnant again. Or get to such low dose that I can jump when I get pregnant.

Unfortunately this pregnancy somehow messed up my thyroid (I strongly believe this is also connected to all those years taking drugs), and now I'm slightly subthyroid and need to start taking hormones :( just when I hoped I can be totally free of drugs :( But what to do...

It's very good to hear that you felt better once the first trimester was over. 

RuthS

I started bio-identical progesterone after I completed my taper from all drugs and it made the biggest difference in my recovery.  I’ve been taking it for three months and I feel truly healed for the first time.  I have no symptoms whatsoever of depression or anxiety.  Anxiety, agitation, and insomnia were my biggest problems after stopping antidepressants.  After being on progesterone for 3 months, those symptoms are completely gone, even when I stop taking the progesterone for one week every month when I have a period.  I’m convinced the progesterone has healing effects.

I am being monitored by a functional medicine doctor, who is going to test all my hormones, my methylation status, and my nutritional status (Nutreval by Genova Diagnostics) in August to see how the progesterone is affecting all systems in my body.  I’m guessing the lab results will be good because I keep getting better and better since I started taking bio-identical progesterone.