sja177: My Intro Amitriptyline for 3.5 months

sja177

Hi everyone,

I suppose there aren't many like me but I was only on Amitriptyline for about 3.5 months. I was prescribed it for muscle/neck pain. 

I took 25mg for about 2 months. I was feeling better and read online to taper down with AD's so I had my doctor prescribe 10mg. I then took 10mg for about a month and a half. I then went cold turkey. I felt fine for about 2 weeks- there was no symptoms at all.

This is what has transpired since September 16th:

I woke up with extreme dry mouth and post nasal drip. The dry mouth died down and now after using dry mouth products its only minor. The post nasal drip was not accompanied by any other symptoms, which I thought was odd. I still have massive amounts of post nasal drip with no other allergy or cold symptoms. I have never had allergies or just post nasal drip without being sick.

Over the last 2 weeks I have been tired, anxious, waking up early even though I am tired, depressed, crying spells. As I write this now I have a really bad sore throat, my eyes hurt and I am extremely tired. I read that Amitriptyline is a powerful antihistamine so I am on a low histamine diet. I have been taking all the vitamins, fish oil recommended on this site to no avail. I ordered a DAO supplement. I have tried flonase, and just about every OTC allergy medication and nothing works. I saw an allergist and tested negative for allergies via blood, prick test and bubble test. 

I missed work yesterday and Monday because I feel incredibly depressed and am losing my voice because of the post nasal drip.

I was only on this medicine for a few months and so far it has been a nightmare. I wish I would have known the proper taper procedure before I went CT. Should I get back on the Amitriptyline and do a proper taper or just stick with CT since I was only on it for a few months? 

• Altostrata changed the title to sja177 My Intro Amitriptyline for 3.5 months
  • Administrator

Welcome, sja.

Post-nasal drip would be an unusual withdrawal symptom.

Poor sleep, however, is common. What is your sleep pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, sja.

Post-nasal drip would be an unusual withdrawal symptom.

Poor sleep, however, is common. What is your sleep pattern?

I usually am able to sleep around 11 and can sleep through the night until 4 or 5 am. Nothing terrible but not normal or enough for me personally.

I have now been to an ENT twice for post nasal drip. He scoped down my throat and didnt find anything but redness. 

I also started back on amitriptyline 5mg yesterday. Hopefully I find relief in a week. I have lost my voice from the nasal drip and it’s compounding my anxiety and depression. I haven’t been to work this entire week. 

• Administrator

What was your original amitriptyline dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

How do you feel having taken 5mg?

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

How do you feel having taken 5mg?

So far nothing.... Wondering if I should go back to 10mg. Its only been 2.5 days starting back up so I feel like I should give it more time but im getting desperate. 
I think I have burning mouth syndrome. Dry mouth for over a month... and guess what the medication to treat BMS is?... Amitriptyline. 

I feel like punching my doctor in the face for prescribing me this horrible drug. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to sja177: My Intro Amitriptyline for 3.5 months