Postive79: Three months post AD CT; HELP

Postive79

I’m new to this site, I’ve noticed many of your posts to be extremely helpful.  I haven’t posted my question/story yet; not knowing what I will get back. I was hoping you could post my questions on the best forum for advise/guidance. My timeline is below. Unfortunately found this site well after I CT 7 years of Lexapro. I’m just past my 3rd month mark and feeling extremely unstable, down and overall irrational. The last three weeks have been brutal; my urge to go back to Lexapro have been popping up. I feel like I’ve broken myself…when on AD I wasn’t broken.

If you have time here are my questions:

Will thing start evening out? I know this is an unfair question but I’m grabbing at straw at this point.  

Do you recommend the Magnesium?

Do you recommend reinstating at any point?

Does ‘stability’ exist without AD?

2009-Citalpram 20mg

2010-Citalopram 30 mg

2013-10mg Escitalopram

2015-20mg Escitalopram

2016-30mg Escitalopram

2017-2019-20mg

August 2019-0

2009-Citalpram 20mg

2010-Citalopram 30 mg

2013-10mg Escitalopram

2015-20mg Escitalopram

2016-30mg Escitalopram

2017-2019-20mg

August 2019-0

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Postive79,

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're just beyond the the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It might work or it might not.  We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when reinstating it is better to start with a small amount and increase if symptoms remain unbearable. Your system has become sensitized and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become more unstable.  

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to get to full state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain, so if it's working you should start to feel some relief with 7-10 days.  If you feel worse after reinstating, stop immediately.

If you decide you reinstate, I recommend reinstating 1mg Escitalopram.  The following link tell how to obtain the small dose you'll need for reinstating, either getting a prescription for liquid Escitalopram, making your own liquid or weighing tablets using the AWS Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Yes, there is stability without antidepressants.  I suggest you read through the success stories section of this site.  These are the stories of members who have tapered off AD's and are doing well.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you Gridley, I'll read through the success stories for sure. I've quickly learned days of ‘quick fixes’ are over😊. Your response is very appreciated. I’ll continue to read the success stories for motivation. Thanks again.

2009-Citalpram 20mg

2010-Citalopram 30 mg

2013-10mg Escitalopram

2015-20mg Escitalopram

2016-30mg Escitalopram

2017-2019-20mg

August 2019-0

• Administrator

Welcome, Pos.

Why did you switch from citalopram to escitalopram?

Over the last 2 months, how has your overall symptom pattern changed?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Postive79 Three months post AD CT; HELP

Hi Altostrata, 

I switch years ago from citalopram to Escitalopram due to heightened anxiety….I think. It’s been a number of years so I’m not 100% sure. I do know that it was my Phycologist at the time that changed prescriptions. That same doctor prescribed a 30 mg dose of Escitalopram; which I’ve read is a very high dose. I’m steering clear from these doctors; after years of just ‘drinking the kool-aide’ I’ve lost trust in their practices.

2009-Citalpram 20mg

2010-Citalopram 30 mg

2013-10mg Escitalopram

2015-20mg Escitalopram

2016-30mg Escitalopram

2017-2019-20mg

August 2019-0

• ChessieCat changed the title to Postive79: Three months post AD CT; HELP