magentila: Effexor Tapering Question and Thank you!!

magentila

Hello lovely humans, 

I have just stumbled upon this forum today, after a dark day and I am so happy to have found you guys. My doctor was saying my symptoms were placebo/in my head because I was tapering so slowly, but finally I can see that my symptoms are real and valid. I feel like I have found so many answers here, thank you!

History:

10 years of Effexor, mostly at 37.5mg. I have tried to stop a few times ineffectively as most docs were telling me to just skip every other day. Sounds like a theme here.

My doc then told me to do the following after I convinced him I needed a much slower different plan : take 37.5mg pill 6 days out of 7 days a week. Every 3 weeks, reduce another day of the week. 
Mid Aug 2019 - taking pill 6 days out of 7 days. no side effects. 

Oct 2019 - taking pill 5 days out of 7 days. extreme fatigue for one month. 

Nov 2019 - still taking pill 5/7 days. fatigue is gone, but now generalized anxiety, heightened emotions, and nausea. 

I see know that 5/7 is a 30% reduction and I should go slower, as I am experiencing high levels of anxiety. I would like to do the recommended 10% taper as I have read here.

Do I stay on the 5/7 days of taking the pill until I stabilize? Or do I increase my dose? Or do I change methods and start bead counting or weighing?

Let me know if this question belongs elsewhere, 

Thanks again for your help.

10 years of Effexor, mostly at 37.5mg. 

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 taking pill 5 days out of 7 days. many side effects.

Dec 2019 and ongoing - reducing at 10% a month

Update:

I am fully off Effexor. And have been on 5mg of Lexa for 2 years.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Magent  and welcome to SA.

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved .

I am sorry you are having such a rough time but you are now in the right place.

The site is currently extremely busy so please ensure you answer any requests from staff fully.

11 hours ago, magentila said:

My doctor was saying my symptoms were placebo/in my head because I was tapering so slowly, but finally I can see that my symptoms are real and valid. I feel like I have found so many answers here, thank you!

Unfortunately doctors and psychs know little or nothing about withdrawal fom these drugs.

The schedule your doc. has given is entirely inappropriate.

Our CNS ( central nervous system ) needs stability and regular dosing to avoid W/D ( withdrawal ) symptoms which is what you are suffering.

Is your Effexor instant or extended release XR?

If it is instant release you need an equivalent daily dose to take 7/7.

37.5 x 5 /7 =27mgs.

It is possible to this by bead counting to get to the nearest possible dose.

Are you taking any other meds or supplements?

The following links will help you understand what is happening and the way forward.

the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

dr-joseph-glenmullens-withdrawal-symptom-checklist/

keep-daily-notes-of-drug-schedule-and-symptoms-to-track-patterns-and-progress/

As soon as we recieve the drugs info. we can assess your situation.

In the meantime DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGE TO YOUR CURRENT MEDS please.

Please feel free to browse the site, it is a wealth of info.

Other members threads will give you an insight and the opportunity to share experiences.

Again welcome.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hi Sassenach, 

Thank you for the warm welcome and knowledgeable response! 

To answer your questions: 

My medication is Venlafaxine XR 37.5 MG

I was also told to take 5HTP by a naturopath on the days I skip my effexor dose. As I am taking my effexor 5 days out of 7. On the 2 days off, I am taking 100mg of 5HTP once a day. 

I am taking supplements including B12 and omegas

For sleep - benadryl, melatonin, and magnesium most nights

I am also using a SAD sun lamp every morning - trying everything!

Really appreciate your help!!

Update:

• Altostrata changed the title to magentila Effexor Tapering Question and Thank you!!
  • Administrator

Welcome, mag.

Skipping doses is a terrible way to taper. The symptoms you are experiencing indicate your nervous system is very unhappy with the irregular dosing.

5-HTP cannot substitute for the skipped doses.

Bead-counting is a good way to taper Effexor XR. You open the capsule and count out beads. If I were you, I'd remove 10 beads from each 37.5mg Effexor capsule, take this slightly reduced dosage every day. It may take a month or more for your symptoms to stabilize.

After you stabilize, you may continue with bead-counting to taper as described in Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto, 

Thank you for your message - very helpful. 

I have begun bead counting, how tedious! But I am happy to have a plan.

Much appreciation, 

Magentila

Update:

One more question - what is the role in 5HTP in my tapering journey? Can it be of use?

Magentila

Update:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mag

The HTP has no role going forward. It is in fact an SSRI wannabe.

Because of this it will need to be tapered.

How long have you been taking it and what dose?

The dose Alto has suggested means your CNS will now be receiving a steady dose every day which will help settle it.

You may notice an increase in symptoms temporarily, this is normal before improvements begin.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hi Sass and Alto, 

Good to know about the 5HTP. I have only been taking it for one month - 100mg twice a week. 

Effexor tapering clarification :

So I have been on 187.5mg per week for a 1.5 months. By taking 37.5mg for 5 days a week. This was a 30% reduction from my initial starting dose of taking 37.5 mg 7 days a week. As you know, this has not been working so I am going to bump up my dose. I will know be doing the 10% taper. However do I increase my current dose to 10% more? I do not want to increase too quickly either, this may cause symptoms. I was thinking of going from a 30% reduction to a 20% reduction of initial dose to see if I can stabilize there (a 10% increase). 

This means I am not going to take 10 beads out of every pill BUT actually 20 beads out of every pill.

Does this make sense? I just dont want to bump up my dose by 20% but only by 10%. 

As always, a heartfelt thank you!!

Yanna

Update:

• 3 months later...

Hi lovely humans, 

A little update: I am now at 37.5mg of Effexor (minus 30%) and withdrawing 10% a month. My sleep, energy, and anxiety are being affected and I want to speak to a supportive doctor or naturopathic doctor in Vancouver , Canada - anyone from Vancouver here? I tried finding a list somewhere but could not find it for Vancouver. My current doctor believes my symptoms are just a placebo effect. 

Also, I'm having issues weighing my beads. I posted this in a thread, but it was an older thread so I think it got lost:

I am tired of bead counting, so I bought this digital scale - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078WJMCRK/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_3p_dp_1

I am worried that it is not functioning correctly, after reading the instructions and calibrating the scale, it seems to be measuring weights unreliably. I have read all the tips on this forum, and still seems to be unreliable. 

For ie: I will weight the same pill 3 times, and it will have 3 variations in weight. For ie: it would be 0.062g, 0.066g, 0.059g. I'm worried this will affect my tapering because it is not as accurate as I had thought.

Have you had this issue with a digital scale? Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe my scale is bad?

Thank you for any thoughts, ideas, and support!!

Update:

• ChessieCat changed the title to magentila: Effexor Tapering Question and Thank you!!