Intense pressure behind eyes/eye strain from SSRI WD?

nofriendsphoebe

Hi all,

I've been withdrawing from SSRIs for several months now and this past week have had brutal head/eye-related symptoms that I can hardly describe. It feels like there is pressure behind my eyes - sort of like when you really need coffee, but it doesn't go away and gets worse as the day goes on.  I can't tell if it's eye strain or fogginess in my head - it's not really affecting my concentration, but I'm constantly squeezing my eyes shut to  relieve the pressure. I tried eye drops and wearing my glasses more (I'm slightly nearsighted but rarely wear them) but nothing seems to be working. Anyone have similar issues? Do I need to see an eye doctor? Is it even eye-related?!?

2014 - started 10mg Escitalopram

2015-2017 - 15mg

2017 - feel lethargic; go down to 10mg, no WD symptoms 

2018 - try quitting cold turkey; bad WD, reinstate at 5mg  

2019 -2021 try to taper off too quickly, reinstate at 2.5mg and hold; few WD symptoms (headaches, GI symptoms, bouts of panic) but mostly windows!

2022: switch to liquid to begin tapering from 2.5 ML (didn't bridge from pill form first which may have led to more WD symptoms)

- Jan-March 2.3ML; GI symptoms (diarrhea, heartburn, stomach cramps); some panic/hypochondria; 

- March: 2.2ML; begin getting constant vertigo. take a steroid for two days at advice of ENT and have big setback 

Currently: 2.6 ML and holding 

Supplements: B12 and D3 for deficiencies; Magnesium 400mg + B2 400mg for migraines; fish oil 

I have this. The optician said I have strabismus which I never had before. It is damage to a nerve, not the eye as such. The doctor she referred me to saw it as well and also said my eyes have the same damage as diabetics get but I am not diabetic. The muscles around the eyes and    in my face are constantly pulling and twitching too and it hurts. The optician said she has seen many people with eye damage caused by antidepressants and the withdrawal from them. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, icequeen said:

I have this. The optician said I have strabismus which I never had before. It is damage to a nerve, not the eye as such. The doctor she referred me to saw it as well and also said my eyes have the same damage as diabetics get but I am not diabetic. The muscles around the eyes and    in my face are constantly pulling and twitching too and it hurts. The optician said she has seen many people with eye damage caused by antidepressants and the withdrawal from them. 

This is what I was afraid of. What was the treatment they recommended? 

2014 - started 10mg Escitalopram

2015-2017 - 15mg

2017 - feel lethargic; go down to 10mg, no WD symptoms 

2018 - try quitting cold turkey; bad WD, reinstate at 5mg  

2019 -2021 try to taper off too quickly, reinstate at 2.5mg and hold; few WD symptoms (headaches, GI symptoms, bouts of panic) but mostly windows!

2022: switch to liquid to begin tapering from 2.5 ML (didn't bridge from pill form first which may have led to more WD symptoms)

- Jan-March 2.3ML; GI symptoms (diarrhea, heartburn, stomach cramps); some panic/hypochondria; 

- March: 2.2ML; begin getting constant vertigo. take a steroid for two days at advice of ENT and have big setback 

Currently: 2.6 ML and holding 

Supplements: B12 and D3 for deficiencies; Magnesium 400mg + B2 400mg for migraines; fish oil 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy