Dsb437: Escitalopram withdrawal tactile hallucinations

Dsb437

Hello,

I'm wondering, if some of you got tactile hallucinations that intensify and lead to visual hallucinations the more stressed one becomes ? After being on escitalopram for 2 years I tapered down for 4 month but after getting to 2 mg I noticed these strange sensations. I'm aware that it is not real but it gets really scary. The tactile hallucinations are of sexual nature. After staying of escitalopram for more than a month the symptoms are less intense but are still there, if I get extremely stressed etc. 

My theory is that ssri blunt mesolimbic dopamine and create, therefore, a dopaminergic hypersensitivity.

Greetings

Edited by manymoretodays
Withrawal instead of withdrawel, moved from S and S care(mmt)
  • manymoretodays changed the title to Dsb437: Escitalopram withdrawal tactile hallucinations
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Dsb437.

A few questions, please:

1.  What dosage Escitalopram were you on when you started?

2. When did you start your taper and when did you reach 2mg?

3. Did you go off Escitalopram around January 1, 2020?  What was your last dose being jumping to zero.

Auditory and visual hallucinations are recognized symptoms of antidepressant withdrawal.  There's no reason while tactile hallucinations wouldn't also be a symptom.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF)

Though I don't have your dosage information yet, a four month taper of Escitalopram is very fast and would very likely cause the withdrawal symptom you're experiencing.  It is especially important to taper slowly at the low doses.  We recommend tapering no more that 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

After you've answered my questions, we'll be better able to advise you.  It's very good that the hallucinations are diminishing.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can answer my questions, ask your own questions and connect with other members.

We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I reached 2 mg after 2 month of tapering and the smallest dose was 0.25mg for 2 weeks. The symptoms seem to get better but are still there. Is there any timeline ? 

Thx in advance.

• Moderator Emeritus
58 minutes ago, Dsb437 said:

Is there any timeline ? 

If you're talking about timeline in terms of when symptoms cease, unfortunately there isn't any way to predict that.  It's very encouraging that your symptoms are getting better.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, Dsb437 said:

Hello,

I'm wondering, if some of you got tactile hallucinations that intensify and lead to visual hallucinations the more stressed one becomes ? After being on escitalopram for 2 years I tapered down for 4 month but after getting to 2 mg I noticed these strange sensations. I'm aware that it is not real but it gets really scary. The tactile hallucinations are of sexual nature. After staying of escitalopram for more than a month the symptoms are less intense but are still there, if I get extremely stressed etc. 

My theory is that ssri blunt mesolimbic dopamine and create, therefore, a dopaminergic hypersensitivity.

Greetings

Hello,

I have and had visual hallucinations but I didn't categorize them but I had tricky vision and behaved like blind.

It is Very good you are improving.

Mustafa.

i wasn't on a certain drug all the period. i took many drugs many times and for no very long period but to simplify.

--fluvoxamine maleate100 mg + amisulpride 200mg------started july 2012 and total taper in february 2015 ( 9 months without drugs then)

--sertraline 100mg -------started november 2015 and total taper (withoud reduction slowly) in november 2016( 4 months withoud drugs then).

--sertraline 100mg + quetiabine 25mg ( started in mars 2016 and for 7 months) then fluvoxamine maleate 100mg again for another 7months and after that a something like to use every drug for 14 days and for about 1.5 years.

--my last drug was trintellix 10 mg ( used it in 12/2018and total taper in 4/2019).

symptomts i have now ( bad concentration and problems in short and long memory+ bad depersonalization).

• Administrator

Hello, ds.

What do you mean by "tactile hallucinations"? What do you mean by visual hallucinations?

It sounds like you got withdrawal symptoms while tapering. When did you take your last escilatopram? Do you have any other odd symptoms now?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

With tactical hallucinations I mean the sensations of being touched and visual hallucinstions I refer to as things morphing into other things. I never heard voices or something more serious. I'm fully aware that these are hallucinations. The hallucinations increase the more stress I suffer for example sleep deprivation etc. The las dose I took was 20.12.2019 

I had a lot of problems with anhedonia, anxiety and energy in general that was why I  took escitalopram in the first place. The first 2 weeks of withdrawel energy levels plummeted but now I get more and more easily exited. Emototions are coming back and just a cup of coffee seems too much. Is this something you guys want through as well ?