Ris88: Lovan / Prozac / fluoxetine withdrawal

Ris88

Hi everyone,

I started on Lovan 10mg at the end of January 2020 for irritability. My GP thought I was very on edge as I had a lot of stress from my first child, who at the time was almost two. My husband, daughter and I then moved interstate. 

I started to see a new GP first week of January who said after two weeks bump my dose of 10mg To 20mg. After several weeks (early March) I had no feelings at all, foggy ness and headaches and couldn’t even feel pain. Then one weekend I had a massive panic attack, one after the other, this went on for 6hrs. I have never suffered from panic attacks in the past. I then went back to my GP and said I wanted to stop the Lovan. By this time it was the middle of March 2020. I was told to gradually decrease over 2 weeks. 20mg to 10mg for the first week, then 10mg to 5mg for the second week, then stop. I stopped end of March 2020.

For two months I had no side affects, then two weeks ago (late May 2020) I started to feel very anxious, headaches and foggy ness, unable to concentrate. After a week of that I had a massive panic attack that lasted six hours again,  I took 2mg of Valium (GP prescribed for panic attacks) and it didn’t help. My heart was racing constantly. Every night since I have night time sweats, racing heart, hot flushes. It wakes me from my sleep and I can’t focus or concentrate.

The days I have no appetite, trouble concentrating, feeling off and get bad headaches. I’ve been exercising daily and I practice meditation about five times a week. I eat as healthy as possible. I do counseling. I've reduced as much stress as I can.  

I have read a few posts on this forum and it sounds like this can last for years. My GP has not been very good at all and just thinks I have anxiety and that this isn’t withdrawal as it has been two months. My psychologist said I have moderate anxiety and that it could be withdrawal or something medical. 

I have an appointment to see a naturopath, has anyone had any luck with that to help relieve some symptoms.

How long does this last for? I was only on the drug for two months total time. 

Thanks

2020 Fluoxetine (Prozac) 30th January 10mg upped after two weeks to 20mg in February. 

11 March tamper 10mg - 5mg - 2.5 mg over 2 weeks. Completely off by 23 March 2020. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ris88: Lovan / Prozac / fluoxetine withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Ris88.

You had an adverse reaction to the Prozac, plus are now suffering from with withdrawal due to your very fast taper.  Withdrawal symptoms are often delayed, as they were in your case.  The symptoms you describe are typical of withdrawal.  Doctors know nothing of protracted withdrawal and don't believe it exists.

It is to your advantage that you were on the drug only two months, but there is no way to predict how long withdrawal will last.  

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling 

Naturopaths know no more than mainstream doctors about withdrawal and will likely suggest a variety of supplements.  We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

You mentioned exercise.  In withdrawal many members find that strenuous exercise is overstimulating and do better with milder forms like a walk in nature.  It's very good that you've reduced stress.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley,

Thanks for all of the information, it’s a relief to hear that what I am going through is somewhat normal & that I am not alone. I’m so glad I found this forum.

As for the Naturopath, if I hadn’t found this forum I’d likely be ready to take any supplements that were recommended, but now I know better. I’ve been having trouble with different types of foods making me feel off so I should have known my system was sensitive at the moment.

I only use the strenuous exercise when I can’t calm myself down, I find it helps. Otherwise lately I have only been walking, I think that’s only because I have felt exhausted for no reason (although I know why now).

I just don’t understand why doctors don't know more about this, this forum has millions of people going through similar things but doctors don’t believe it exists and they hand these pills out like they are nothing and don’t even know the after effects or really the true side effects. It really disappoints me. I still remember the conversation with my own GP and how much he pushed me into it and said “it’s just a little pill to take the edge off”. Ridiculous really after everything I have been through. I know there are a lot of people out there who need these pills and have different experiences, I just feel that they should be a last resort for doctors, in my case it was the first resort. I had to push to even get a referral for counseling. The medical system is seriously broken in my opinion. 

2020 Fluoxetine (Prozac) 30th January 10mg upped after two weeks to 20mg in February. 

11 March tamper 10mg - 5mg - 2.5 mg over 2 weeks. Completely off by 23 March 2020. 

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, Ris88 said:

I just don’t understand why doctors don't know more about this, this forum has millions of people going through similar things but doctors don’t believe it exists and they hand these pills out like they are nothing and don’t even know the after effects or really the true side effects

Very sad and very true.  The believe what the pharmaceutical companies tell them.  If you want a real eye-opener, read Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker. I highly recommend it.

Here's a video book trailer by the author, Robert Whitaker:

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.