SerotoninSurfer: Mirtazapine - brain pressure

SerotoninSurfer

Hello,  does anyone ever experience a lovely feeling in the brain, like a prolonged Serotonin rush when taking or withdrawing from antidepressants. I might be the exception to the rule but i almost enjoy this side effect. I often experience it after bad days, like my brain is trying to balance out the feel good hormones and is somewhat overcompensating. It's normally followed by either a feeling of recovery for a few days or tumbles into bad days immediately. 

- Sertraline 2001 to 2023. Tapered down from 200mg to zero Nov 23

- Mirtazapine 2018 onwards. Currently tapering from 15mg and on 4mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to SerotoninSurfer: positive side effects
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi SerotoninSurfer and welcome to SA,

Different people respond in different ways to psychiatric drug/s and coming off/stopping their drug/s.

Are you wanting help with how to get off your drug/s?  If yes, then you have come to the right place.

Before we can offer any suggestions we need to know your drug history.  Please create your drug signature for ALL drugs.  We need details for the last 2 years (drug name, dose changes, and dates for those changes) of all drugs.  For anything older than 2 years we just need a summary (drug name, year, how long on the drug, and how you stopped the drug, eg cold turkey, fast taper over 'x' weeks/months).

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Once we have this information and know what you need help with we will be better able to assist you.

This is your own Introduction topic which is the place to ask questions and to journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 years later...

Anyone experience the most uncomfortable brain pressure on this drug. Can’t work out if it is anxiety or the actual medication causing it. The most uncomfortable sensation ever like my brain is folding in on itself some days and like an Ill fitting jigsaw that won’t settle on other days. It’s absolutely relentless

Hi @SerotoninSurfer

Welcome to SA!

Could you please create a signature for yourself. See How to Create a Signature. This can help us understand how to best help you.

Are you currently tapering?

Head pressure is a common WD symptom. I experienced this during my taper and still do, but way less frequently. It has gotten much better with time.

Have you seen this topic:

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

• LotusRising changed the title to SerotoninSurfer: Mirtazapine - brain pressure

Thanks LotusRising. I’ve created a signature. It’s brain pressure, definitely not a headache. I’ve had before withdrawing but not as bad so assume it is anxiety. I just find it hard to fathom how anxiety can create such a grotesque physical sensation but it must be. It’s not painful. Just unbearably uncomfortable. 

No, mine is not like a headache either. It's pressure, like a vice around my head. Does this describe the sensation?

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tapering off Mirtazapine and down to 2.5mg through liquid taper. My antidepressants haven't been working for a long time so was previously experiencing brain pressure before i even started tapering. However, it's taken to a new level where my brain feels nauseous (like the opposite of serotonin feel good rush) and other times like it's wrapped in stinging nettles. Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this? Can't fathom whether it's withdrawal or anxiety creating such intense symptoms. It's really frightening and i'm struggling to cope. Going back up isn't an option for me as i feel bad on them anyway. Suppose i've just got to suck it up and ride it out but it's been going on for weeks now.

• Administrator

Welcome back @SerotoninSurfer,

I've moved your new post back here.

Please ask questions relating to your situation here. It makes it easier for those trying to assist to see what you have been told previously.

Here is a list of the many possible WD symptoms: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Headaches, nausea and tingling are certainly on the list.

How fast have you been tapering both drugs? I note you've recently stopped Sertraline...at what rate was that tapered and at what dose did you jump to 0mg? I can't see that from your signature.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,