The Truth About Coming Off Antidepressants - in the papers

Ripley

Hi

An article titled 'The truth about coming off antidepressants' ran yesterday in The Daily Telegraph and was also discussed on This Morning on ITV. This is mainstream exposure in the UK for this important subject (9th Nov, 2020).

The article refers to a report published in the journal Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology that finds that "82 per cent of respondents reported the onset of new and unpleasant symptoms on stopping their antidepressants."

The article goes on to discuss the nature of those symptoms and the "shocking personal cost" suffered by many. It discusses the 2018 guidance from the Royal College of Psychiatrists insisting that symptoms were "mild and self-limiting over about one week" and how they have had to make changes to this advice, resulting in the release in September 2020 of a Patient Information Resource (online leaflet) on withdrawal from antidepressants, which is given elsewhere on this site. 

It's here:

cepuk-major-milestone-royal-college-releases-new-guidance-on-stopping-antidepressants

The article quotes Joanna Moncrieff, professor of critical and social psychiatry at University College London; "Doctors should stop prescribing these drugs more or less altogether. They have a huge placebo effect, and are more harmful than we realise. I do not think the evidence is there to support their further prescription."

I have been unable to attach a photo of the article as the file size is too large unfortunately. I have given you an outline though. 

Edited by ChessieCat
deleted first sentence about correct place to post - post moved from another topic / added link

▪︎2000 - Seroxat (25mg?) 6 months C/T

▪︎2015 - 7.5mg Zopiclone 1 month C/T

▪︎ 2016 - 2018 - Diazapam and Phenergan occasionally for sleep

▪︎2017 June to Oct - Mirtazapine 7.5mg C/T

▪︎2018 April - 2019 Oct Mirtazapine 7.5mg tapered to 1.5mg.

▪︎2019 October - Mirtazapine 1.5mg (Skipped alternate doses on doctor's advice then stopped - Insomnia.) Phenergan

▪︎2020 Jan 6th - Mirtazapine 1.5mg

▪︎2020 Jan 13th - Mirtazapine 7.5mg

▪︎2020 - Feb - May, holding 7.5mg

▪︎2020 1st June, 7.35mg. 27 June, 7.2mg. 7 July, 7.05mg. 18 July, 6.9mg. 28 July, 6.75mg. 27 Aug, 6.6mg. 7 Sep, 6.45mg. 17 Sep, 6.6mg. Crash/Hold

▪︎2022 - 4 Feb, 6.45mg. 24 Mar, 6.3mg. 13 May, 6.15mg. 13 July, 6mg. 10 Aug, 5.85mg.

Newspaper article  Nov9th 2020 UK

https://holeousia.com/2020/11/09/the-truth-about-coming-off-antidepressants/

Thank you Dr Ed White. 

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• ChessieCat changed the title to The Truth About Coming Off Antidepressants - in the papers
  • Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Ripley said:

It discusses the 2018 guidance from the Royal College of Psychiatrists insisting that symptoms were "mild and self-limiting over about one week" and how they have had to make changes to this advice, resulting in the release in September 2020 of a Patient Information Resource (online leaflet) on withdrawal from antidepressants, which is given elsewhere on this site. 

Topic is here:  cepuk-major-milestone-royal-college-releases-new-guidance-on-stopping-antidepressants

Link to the leaflet:  Stopping antidepressants

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy