Kats: Seeking taper advice for taper after short- term low dose mirtazapine

kats

Hi I am glad to have found this site.  I have read a lot in the past few days about tapering (after not being told any of this information when I went on the med)

I started 7.5mg of mirtazapine last week 3/9.  I had bad reactions quickly and need to get off it (I am a covid long hauler and not able or wanting to continue this med).

I cannot find any reliable information about how to taper off an antidepressent after one week of low dose.  I did cut it in half 2 night and then quartered it last night which was the third taper night.  I am nervous this is too fast, but also don't want to have the drug in my system longer to create dependency?  I am so lost.  I have tapered buspar and xanax in the past and did ok, but last year had a bad episode that MAY have been related to taking an antidepressant or steriod for a few days and then stopping without a taper (I don't know becuase my doctor never warned me and I did not relate this at the time to meds and since I was so sick I attributed it to that).

My doctor and pharmacist both say that I can stop or quick few days taper the mirtazapine now with no problems, but I am very concerned.   Please can anyone help with knowledge, guidance, experience on a short taper for low dose antidepressant?  This info is sorely lacking in information!

Thank you!  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history?  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

I would suggest a fast taper, which you are doing, since you were only on it a week.  Not only that, it sounds like the drug affected you adversely.  I think you are wise to be concerned about dependency.  You might still feel some withdrawal effects. This link gives more info about that: 

How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 3 that many of us find helpful are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities. Hang in there and take care of yourself.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to Kats: Seeking taper advice for taper after short- term low dose mirtazapine
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having bad shortness of breath from mirtazapine. I was on 7.5 for 5 days then did a short taper (4 days) after  the chest pain and SOB started on day 3.  I am 2 weeks off now and still having this issue.  I am wondering what the experiences are with this resolving over time, I am so freaked out.  (note: it is not anxiety - this is real shortness of breath).  

• Moderator Emeritus

Previous post moved to your intro to keep all your history in one place.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello.  If I were you, I would go see a doctor to rule out any other causes for shortness of breath and chest pain. These could also be symptoms of heart trouble.  Since you were only on it a week, and it gave you an adverse reaction, I believe you probably did the right thing to get off it quickly.  Please keep us posted.  

I am almost 3 weeks off and my anxiety is off the charts.  My doctor is useless.  She seems to feel that there should be no negative effects from short term low dose usage and if I hadn't found online support I would like I was going crazy (I feel like I am going crazy anyway).  It should be REQUIRED for doctors to walk through the possible outcomes of these drugs before people go on them.  This is liable action.  

I am hoping that this will subside soon, but I am scared.  I saw the link that adverse effects should go away 100% for short term users but can take months which is very scary.   Since I had long term covid which impacts the nervous system who knows what my situation will be.  

I'm so distraught and mad at myself for being in the situation.  How is this drug prescribed for INSOMNIA?!  WTF?!

• Administrator

Hello, kats. It's unusual for someone to have withdrawal from such a short-term use of mirtazapine. If you wish, you might want to try a very small reinstatement, such as 1mg. If your symptoms reduce, that's an indication you have withdrawal syndrome.

Instructions for taking a very small dose are here Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for the response.  I had an adverse reaction (shortness of breath and heart palpitations) while on the drug so I do not want to try and reinstate at any level.

I will tough it out I guess....although I am confused - in your first reply to me there was a link to short term withdrawal info that said you can have withdrawal from even one dose? (segment pasted below)

But I appreciate your feedback.  

But I only took it for a Week

(6)

I think that some of the most unfortunate members we have are the ones who only took the drug for a short time and had a severe Adverse Reaction. Over the years I’ve seen a number of members join who have taken their drugs for one day to a week and then stopped.  They suffer acute symptoms that hit immediately and hard.  Some people’s chemical makeup just isn’t compatible with psych drugs and their body immediately tries to reject them, but in doing so throws itself into chaos.

The good news is that their body will sort itself out and they will return to normal.  While this is recovery from a severe adverse reaction and not withdrawal syndrome, the bad news is the post-discontinuation symptoms are a lot like post- acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS), and it’s going to take a long time and there is nothing that will speed up the process.  There are some coping strategies and tools that will help you endure the experience, but time is the only thing that will cure it, and it will take months rather than weeks.

These people tend to have a more linear recovery than those with true withdrawal syndrome. The first several months may be more intense.  Then, like PAWS, things start to improve very slowly. Eventually, normal life resumes and get back on track.  All the members I have known with this immediate Adverse Reaction have made full recoveries and gone on to normal lives and careers.