kaiyo3 Are Tricyclics any safer than SSRIs, in terms of protracted withdrawal?

kaiyo3

I have been prescribed amitriptyline for chronic migraines and widespread neuralgia.. plus hoping it'll help for PTSD as well.

I'm very concerned about protracted withdrawal from antidepressants, as I've had a run in with benzos in the past and know how real it can be. 

I'm desperate for some relief though and have talked to a lot of people that have had great experiences with amitriptyline. 

My question is, in regard to the possibility of protracted withdrawals and overall disruption of nervous system stability, are tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline any safer than the traditional, widely-prescribed SSRIs?

• Altostrata changed the title to kaiyo3 Are Tricyclics any safer than SSRIs, in terms of protracted withdrawal?
  • Administrator

Welcome, @kaiyo3

The answer to your question is no, amitriptyline and other tricyclics do not carry a lower risk of severe withdrawal syndrome or protracted withdrawal syndrome. In fact, the earliest reports of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome are from the tricyclic era.

Any antidepressant taken regularly for a month or more carries a risk of withdrawal if you go off.

Please look around the Introductions forum for the experiences of others who have taken amitriptyline. Whatever promises you hear from the medical profession may not be borne out.

Otherwise, as this is a site for going off psychiatric drugs, please let us know if you want any assistance tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.