JessB: feeling stuck tapering Effexor

JessB

• Administrator

Personally, I would do a cross-taper rather than a cold switch to a bridging drug.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I outlined my plan in the bridging post looking for recommendations @Altostrata. It would be a cross taper, however, short as I am at 42mg

*effexor since 2013- 75 mg (256 beads average)

*march -December 2020 decrease 5% by counting beads and  holding 4 weeks in between. *December 2020 decreased to 145 beads  from 140 beads. & experienced severe symptoms increased 10 beads.

*Held here for 5 months. (150 beads) April - July 2022 decreased 1 bead every 1-3 months.

144beads

**Holding indefinitely **
Drank wine august 2023 - destabilized 

taking magnesium gyltrate 200mg, 
*Stopped birth control pill august 2020. Stopped rupall 10mg September 2021

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, JessB said:

I outlined my plan in the bridging post looking for recommendations @Altostrata. It would be a cross taper, however, short as I am at 42mg

Please post it here in your topic so that the staff don't have to go searching for it.  It will also be kept with your history here in your topic.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat @Altostrata

Key aspects I am gathering so far from here and searching key words on the website are as follows: 

-to be stable at a dose before trying to bridge

-to drop the first drug rather quickly into bridging so body does not get used to 2 drugs at once

i have a doctors appointment this week to discuss, unfortunately I feel I am playing with fire and have no hope this method will work for me. As if 1 bead of Effexor makes me sick, how is dropping off completely going to make me feel. 
I currently take 42mg of Effexor after tapering down this far from 75mg over 2 years and have hit a wall in my journey I can’t go farther. 
this is the following play I am going to propose to my doctor based on gathered information:

-Week of may 8th, take 10mg of Prozac for a week

-week of may 15th take 20mg of Prozac drop to 37.5mg

-week of may 22 drop Effexor, continue to take Prozac until stable. 
(week of may 22 I am on vacation off work so I am trying to plan around this as my job is very mentally demanding)

I have read on SA some contradictions that 37.5=10 mg of Prozac and also =20mg or Prozac. 

Any additional information I should take to my doctor regarding this? Have I missed anything? 
I believe she will be on board as she has offered a Zoloft switch before to minimize withdrawals but who knows. 

this is my post in the bridging topic. My apologies I thought I was to comment there

😜

Edited by ChessieCat
Resized font

*march -December 2020 decrease 5% by counting beads and  holding 4 weeks in between. *December 2020 decreased to 145 beads  from 140 beads. & experienced severe symptoms increased 10 beads.

*Held here for 5 months. (150 beads) April - July 2022 decreased 1 bead every 1-3 months.

144beads

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, JessB said:

-week of may 15th take 20mg of Prozac drop to 37.5mg

Why would you take effectively double your Effexor dose by taking 20mg Prozac?

10mg Prozac may well be enough. It's going to take weeks to ramp up to full strength.

We can't tell you what to expect. This process may be bumpy. If your doctor has done it before, would like to hear how she's described it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata I have read on SA some contradictions that 37.5=10 mg of Prozac and also 37.5 =20mg or Prozac I’m really not sure what the correct amount was. Thank you, now I know 😀
Just got off the phone with the doctor, she would like to bridge to Zoloft, I am not happy about this. She said I will need meds for life as if on a low baby dose of Effexor isn’t keeping my anxiety controlled than a high dose of Zoloft will. 
I have a second opinion booked for tomorrow with another doctor. 

There is no end in sight for me. 

144beads

• Administrator

Bridging to Zoloft makes no sense whatsoever. As for the rest, since she can tell the future, can she give stock market advice as well?

We have many people tapering off their drugs with little help from their doctors.

@Altostrata I know, I totally agree with you. I’m really glad I have a second opinion tomorrow. I even asked her “isn’t Prozac preferred for bridging” and she said it is, but she prefers Zoloft. 
I totally understand a lot of people do not have support from their doctors, but if I can’t taper any father and I the bridge doesn’t seem to be an option as it would be bridge to Zoloft, do you know if There is maybe any other options for me? 🤞

144beads

• Administrator

If you have no choice but to work with this doctor, you might request citalopram rather than Zoloft. Citalopram (Celexa) has a longer half-life.

@Altostratashe is my GP, I do have a second opinion tomorrow and will update then! I appreciate your support while I get this figured out ❤️

144beads

@Altostrata well, my second opinion didn’t give too much new advise. 
she sympathizes with me, and says after watching so many patients suffer from Effexor withdrawals she refuses to prescribe it and has for a long time.  Her advise was to continue to take 42 mg indefinitely as I am doing well/ stable here or go up to 75mg slowly if I feel I would do better on that dose to combat the constant anxiety I have now. She also said she hasn’t heard of someone this sensitive before either (yay me) . 

She explained how bridging can be quite a mess sometimes, and can become a cycle of finding a new drug to take,  as explained in your documents, not knowing where symptoms are coming from either w/d or new drug. She seems really informed about the whole process honestly. 
she told me Zoloft is sometimes preferred by GPs for child bearing women as it has had a reputation to be safer in pregnancy and wonders if that was my docs thought process long term as I have expressed I want to start a family. 
ahh again, back stuck between a rock and a hard place. Still so much to consider. Go at this rate or bridge, and demand Prozac instead. 
what are your thoughts ? 

144beads

• Administrator

I don't know. You are between a rock and a hard place. Her advice would keep you on Effexor forever. Is that what you want?

It's possible you could drop by 1 bead a month, or maybe 1 bead every 3 weeks, but you've found you cannot drop by one bead every 2 weeks.

Given your sensitivity, it's likely that as you get to lower doses of Effexor, such as 20mg, you'll have to taper even slower, as each bead is a bigger proportionate decrease.

Otherwise, you'd have to consider bridging.

@Altostrata I don’t want to be on this poison forever. Any drug that can cause this much withdrawals is a poison. But I just feel I am getting weaker and weaker to keep this up. My morale and drive is diminishing. I consistently see no results. Even if I was to be able to get to 37.5 and stay there for a long time to stablize at least would be a huge accomplishment at this point. But I just feel like I can’t even get there even at 1 bead a month. That’s another year and a half for 4 mg. 
I apologize I am just getting really drepressed Over this whole situation. 

144beads

• Administrator

I'm very sorry. This is a terrible problem for a lot of people.

@Altostrata

I think I’m going to take a little bit longer to consider my choices.either to go up to 75 and stay there, or bridge.
 In your best judgement, the proposed plan I outlined before to bridge, how do you feel about those steps? 
I am only considering reinstating slowly back 75mg to stop counting beads and get some joy back in life. Lessen the stress of tapering and weekly countings and consider this a failed taper and try again when I can gather more courage. 

144beads

• Administrator
On 4/5/2022 at 8:00 PM, Altostrata said:

Why would you take effectively double your Effexor dose by taking 20mg Prozac?

10mg Prozac may well be enough. It's going to take weeks to ramp up to full strength.

@Altostrata thank you. I’m going to take a break and consider my options 

I really appreciate your support in this!

sending love! 

144beads

@Altostrata @ChessieCat I have been reading and consuming so much information on here. I am learning so much. Thank you for this website. 
I am just as confused I was a few days ago. I have no idea what the best course of action for my situation. I feel so stressed and depressed without a plan of action. And stuck as time just keeps passing by and I’m unable to make any drug changes. Going up may cause hypersensitivity, going down (even 1 micro bead) causes very distressing emotional and physical symptoms. I really don’t want to jeopardize my stability & career by bridging but I feel I have no other choices. It is really all affecting me mentally. 
Im sorry for ranting, I’m having such a hard time being stuck for so long. 

144beads

• Administrator

If you are experiencing intolerable symptoms in your current situation, the risk of a switch to fluoxetine may be worthwhile for you.

@Altostrataim stable. I’m happy. I’m fine. As long as I don’t touch my dose of Effexor. Any minor changes (1 bead) and it all comes crashing down, extreme panic, extreme depression, nausea, throwing up, headaches.

Unfortunately this is starting to effect my mental health as I have dropped 5 micro beads in a year and a half =1.5 mg.

Because of the sensitivity, I don’t understand how a cross taper would be a good idea I don’t know how I’m supposed to go any quicker through the crossover when 1 bead makes me so sick. I think I would just suffer. And jeopardize what little I have left of stablitity. 
I have no hope for my future at this point. I’d rather stay on the meds. 
I’m sorry. I’m in such a bad place mentally these days over this. 

144beads

• Administrator

You may find that after holding at this dosage for a good long while, you are better able to taper.

We don't know why some people have this extraordinary difficulty. Please let us know when we may be able to help. 

Many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

@Altostrata I really appreciate this. I am going to continue to hold. i just finished a 9 month hold but obviously it wasn’t enough.
I just want off this ride, it feels like being water boarded. Slowly driven insane. maybe I’m just supposed to take it forever. I had no side effects on the dosage just didn’t think I needed it. This torture isn’t worth it to me. 

I take both as well as tumeric for the headaches. 

144beads

• 1 month later...

Hi @Altostrata

i just wanted to check in and give an update. I haven’t changed my dose or anything. I’m feeling really great, absolutely no symptoms for a long while. I just think I have no fight in me to continue this battle. Feeling nostalgic and thinking how much I had to compensate for the withdrawals over the last year and a half or more, it  has taken so much time away from me. I think I will stay put where I am so I’m the future it’s not as much to come off next (when I ever decide to continue this), and focus on myself and making a family this fall. My husband and I are not getting any younger and need help conceiving which could take a long time itself. 
I appreciate all of your support and guidance and knowledge, and may pop in once in a while! I love this community ♥️
much love 

144beads

• Administrator

Best to you! You have reduced by about half, that's something.

Please do let us know how you're getting on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Was just reading you’re story and wondering how you’re doing. I hope well ❤️♥️

2000-2018 150-200mg Sertraline and Vyvanse

2018- vyvanse 60mg to 0 over 6mo. 200mg Sertraline to 150mg. 2019- 150mg Sertraline to 100mg. Early 2021- 100mg to 87.5, two weeks later 87.5 to 75mg, 1.25-4mg bromazepam PRN. Mid 2021 - Feb 2022 taper 2.5%-5% 75mg to 50mg. March 2022 bromazepam for 3 weeks. May 9th 2022 started Propranolol, 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. July 2022- off propranolol Oct 2022- off birth control. Dec 2022- updose sertraline 100mg, benztropine 1mg and Ativan 1mg. March 2023- stop benztropine. May 2023 - ativan taper finished. May 2023 - updose Sertraline to 125mg added propranolol 40mg added Ativan 1mg. July 5- sertraline 112.5mg propranolol 60mg, quick 2 week Ativan taper. Current meds: propranolol 60mg, sertraline 106.25mg, Ativan .025mg, B6, CoQ10, Magnesium Glycinate

9 hours ago, Lauren90 said:

Hi! Was just reading you’re story and wondering how you’re doing. I hope well ❤️♥️

Hi Lauren, 

I am doing really well, busy enjoying summer and house renovations ♥️
I hope you are well? 

144beads

• 1 month later...

Hello! 
I am doing fantastic finally! I am enjoying caffeine again, finally. Holding has been such a life saver 🛟 my body really needed a break! 

144beads

• ChessieCat changed the title to JessB: feeling stuck tapering Effexor
  • Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, JessB said:

Holding has been such a life saver 🛟 my body really needed a break! 

And it's not just your body.  Having a tapering holiday can give you a mental rest and help to stop / reduce the possibility of become battle weary.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

@ChessieCat isn’t that the truth, which is where I think I was. Still don’t think I’ll taper any time soon. I’m finally enjoying life after a year and a half of suffering. 
Now petrified of the fertility help I’ll need to get pregnant and the effects it will have on the withdrawal syndrome. At least I’m down almost half and it’s less for me and baby but still can’t help but be nervous!

144beads

@ChessieCat I had a hiccup today, thought I could change brands of omega 3 and was sooo nauseated and dizzy all afternoon. Quickly got my old brand into me and took a ginger tab and feel back to normal. 
I don’t think I’ll ever be the same again, heart broken! I don’t think I’ll be able to take the fertility drugs if I’m this sensitive as is. 

144beads

@ChessieCat in regards to fertility/ pregnancy:

Have you seen an uptick in your experience of withdrawal symptoms or withdrawal resurfacing after women falling pregnant? Even after stabilizing? Have you seen anyone use fertility drugs after withdrawals? 
Would it be advised to stay where I’m at or go up to the next prescription dose ? 

And what are your thoughts to the dependency on the supplements? Are they maybe masking the withdrawals, or stability has only been achieved with the supplements? 

I understand everyone is different, every situation is unique, etc. but just looking for a rough idea. 

144beads

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, JessB said:

Have you seen an uptick in your experience of withdrawal symptoms or withdrawal resurfacing after women falling pregnant? Even after stabilizing? Have you seen anyone use fertility drugs after withdrawals? 
Would it be advised to stay where I’m at or go up to the next prescription dose ?

I suggest that you do a site search for pregnancy and pregnant.

2 minutes ago, JessB said:

And what are your thoughts to the dependency on the supplements? Are they maybe masking the withdrawals, or stability has only been achieved with the supplements? 

I don't think (most) supplements you can become dependent on.

I also don't think they mask withdrawals, because withdrawal symptoms are caused by the brain trying to regain homeostasis.

@ChessieCat ok thank you

144beads

• 4 weeks later...

September 3 2022- tested positive for covid 19, had a few days of pretty rough symptoms but seem to be on the mend. 

144beads

@ChessieCat

i tested positive for covid on sept 3, I had some pretty rough symptoms following but have made it through and feeling pretty normal. Unfortunately due to being bedridden a on going cyst I have at my tailbone has flared. It is excruciating! Normally I can combat them at home with hot baths but this one got out of control really quick. I think I need a round of antibiotics to reduce it (which is usually what ends up happening) 

however, so soon after covid, and recently coming out of withdrawals, I’m nervous to take them. What are your thoughts ? 

144beads

• 11 months later...

Hello, Drank alcohol on vacation on august 7th. Approximately 3 or 4 glasses of wine. Destabilized me, and have been going through waves and windows since. Symptoms include : anxiety, diarrhea, panic, heart palpitations. 💔

Absolutely heart broken I’m back here! 

144beads