markc2008: Long term sufferer

markc2008

Got it, well when I had to take my dose today I wasn’t sure what to do so I took the lesser 5mg dose. What should I do today go back to the full 7.5 then slowly taper down to 5 again even though I was only on the 7.5 a week? I want to get back to 5 and stabilize on that, yet that’s all I had taken today?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Sertraline 50mg 2013-2015

viibryd 2015-2019 stopped cold turkey

wellebutrin xl July 2020-august 2020

reinstated 2.5mg viibryd 12/16/21

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• Moderator Emeritus

@markc2008

I have just realised that I have inadvertently given your the link for tapering EFFEXOR.  I have probably had a few screen open and posted to the wrong member.  I will delete that post and the quote you made of that post.

Here is the Tips for Tapering Viibryd topic:

tips-for-tapering-off-viibryd-vilazodone

It generally takes about 4 days for a psychiatric drug to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.

Sorry but I do not know what might happen either way.  You will need to decide whether you resume taking 7.5mg or drop to 5mg, OR a dose somewhere in between the two doses.  See Post #1 of the tips topic which explains how to get non standard doses.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Well being that it was exactly seven days and I took 5mg yesterday, I’ll try to stick with 5mg again today and monitor I guess. Hopefully I can stabilize on that over a month or two. Thank you, I’ll keep you posted.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• Moderator Emeritus

Because of the number of changes you have made in a short period of time it would probably be best to stick at whatever dose you decide on and allow time to stabilise.  Jumping around in doses too often sometimes makes things worse and sometimes when this happens it might take a long time to stabilse and sometimes members never get back to full stabilisation like they had before.

So please be very careful.  It's time to be very patient and calm and to use non drug techniques for the non physical symptoms and learn to live with/accept the physical symptoms.

At times like this many members feel like they need to do something to fix things and think that holding is doing nothing.  But holding is doing something.  It is giving your brain and nervous system the time it needs.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

41 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Because of the number of changes you have made in a short period of time it would probably be best to stick at whatever dose you decide on and allow time to stabilise.  Jumping around in doses too often sometimes makes things worse and sometimes when this happens it might take a long time to stabilse and sometimes members never get back to full stabilisation like they had before.

So please be very careful.  It's time to be very patient and calm and to use non drug techniques for the non physical symptoms and learn to live with/accept the physical symptoms.

At times like this many members feel like they need to do something to fix things and think that holding is doing nothing.  But holding is doing something.  It is giving your brain and nervous system the time it needs.

Thanks. Yeah I don’t plan on making any further changes. I’m sticking at 5mg for the next couple of months to try to stabilize. Believe me a lot of my symptoms are definitely physical. The urologist does not know why my bladder muscle will not relax and the sexual issues I’m very close to getting an implant and trying to move on but it’s tough. I want to see if stabilizing helps first. Thanks for all of your support.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

25 minutes ago, markc2008 said:

Thanks. Yeah I don’t plan on making any further changes. I’m sticking at 5mg for the next couple of months to try to stabilize. Believe me a lot of my symptoms are definitely physical. The urologist does not know why my bladder muscle will not relax and the sexual issues I’m very close to getting an implant and trying to move on but it’s tough. I want to see if stabilizing helps first. Thanks for all of your support.

these drugs do crazy things. for a very long time I had bladder issues. it's like it would contract constantly or be stimulated constantly. I would have to urinate every 15 minutes 20 times in a row. my bladder would be FULL constantly. all other causes were ruled out so it had to be the drugs. it was miserable. I couldnt even sleep. 

April 2011 - citalopram 20 mg

April 2018 - tapered in 4 weeks

Nov 2018 - reinstated 20 mg

Stopped 8 days later bad reaction

November 5 2020 - reinstated citalopram 0.5mg. Increase to 1mg

November 10 2020 - stopped citalopram.  

December 8 2020 - reinstate 2.5mg citalopram. Stayed on until December 17

December 20 2020 - discontinue citalopram again 

Dec 2020 - start ativan for akathisia 

Nov 2020 to Jan 2021 - tried low dose Seroquel, Risperidone, Luvox, Zoloft and Prozac. just added symptoms no benefit

Feb 2021 - ativan went paradoxical. landed in hospital. cold turkeyed.

Totally drug free since Feb 21, 2021

On 1/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, Daisygirlsk said:

these drugs do crazy things. for a very long time I had bladder issues. it's like it would contract constantly or be stimulated constantly. I would have to urinate every 15 minutes 20 times in a row. my bladder would be FULL constantly. all other causes were ruled out so it had to be the drugs. it was miserable. I couldnt even sleep. 

Yeah. My urethral sphincter muscle that holds urine in does not relax when it’s supposed to to go the bathroom. The urologist has found no other causes but says it is neurological. It has to be a side effect from the medication. It has done other things to the genital/urinary region so it does not surprise me. I’m just hoping it goes away. I’m getting pretty close to three years with all of this. Which is why I decided reinstating was worth a shot.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, Daisygirlsk said:

How long did you have this? I’m going on two and a half years with this problem so I’m starting to think it won’t resolve. 

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

I've been having bladder/urethra issues for more than a year 😞 Do you have some improvements? 

25 November 2020 - 22 December 2020 - Zoloft (3 weeks - 12.5 mg, 1 week - 25 mg); 1 January 2021 - Zoloft (12.5 mg)

18-24 December 2020 - Teraligen 2.5 mg-3.75 mg (Russian antipsychotic)

18-28 December 2020 - Eglonil 100 mg (Sulpiride)

Supplements: magnesium

Symptoms since stopping Zoloft: overactive/painful bladder, pelvic pressure, PGAD, severe anxiety

2 hours ago, DinaDina said:

I've been having bladder/urethra issues for more than a year 😞 Do you have some improvements? 

No not really. The urologist is not sure what is going on.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

On 1/31/2022 at 7:46 AM, markc2008 said:

How long did you have this? I’m going on two and a half years with this problem so I’m starting to think it won’t resolve. 

ive been in withdrawal for almost 4 years. i got much worse when i reinstated after 2 years so that set me way back. i would be nearly done with this by now if i had never touched those stupid drugs again. my bladder issues are mostly gone now. it took about 3 years.

Nov 2020 to Jan 2021 - tried low dose Seroquel, Risperidone, Luvox, Zoloft and Prozac. just added symptoms no benefit

17 minutes ago, Daisygirlsk said:

ive been in withdrawal for almost 4 years. i got much worse when i reinstated after 2 years so that set me way back. i would be nearly done with this by now if i had never touched those stupid drugs again. my bladder issues are mostly gone now. it took about 3 years.

Oh man your making me nervous on the reinstatement. Did you instantly become worse reinstating? I’ve been back on six weeks at a very low dose. I think I’m more numb but haven’t noticed drastic change either way.. I’m going to give it a couple more weeks to see if anything stabilizes and I’d not call it a failed attempt and slowly taper. How did it make you worse if you don’t mind me asking? It’s been almost three years for me..well three years in June.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

1 minute ago, markc2008 said:

Oh man your making me nervous on the reinstatement. Did you instantly become worse reinstating? I’ve been back on six weeks at a very low dose. I think I’m more numb but haven’t noticed drastic change either way.. I’m going to give it a couple more weeks to see if anything stabilizes and I’d not call it a failed attempt and slowly taper. How did it make you worse if you don’t mind me asking? It’s been almost three years for me..well three years in June.

Yes i instantly became worse.  I was taking 1/40th of my original dose.  I kept taking it because I thought they were just start up effects that would eventually fade even though my intuition was telling me otherwise.  If you don't feel worse that's probably a good thing.  My body reacted within 4 hours of taking the first dose.  All my symptoms I already had got 10 times worse and i developed new ones, including akathisia.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:33 AM, Daisygirlsk said:

Yes i instantly became worse.  I was taking 1/40th of my original dose.  I kept taking it because I thought they were just start up effects that would eventually fade even though my intuition was telling me otherwise.  If you don't feel worse that's probably a good thing.  My body reacted within 4 hours of taking the first dose.  All my symptoms I already had got 10 times worse and i developed new ones, including akathisia.

Oh no. And they never eased up when stopping? Yeah I’m on 5mg when I used to take 20mg. I’ve had some slight worsening I think with some things but at first it seemed slightly improved. 

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 11:33 AM, Daisygirlsk said:

Well I thought I was improving but woke up today with worsening of some of my sexual side effects, predominately lack of being able to get aroused so that’s not good. I guess I’ll give it a few days to see if it goes away but if not this reinstatement is over. It’s been 8 weeks and I’m not noticeably much better 

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, markc2008 said:

if not this reinstatement is over. It’s been 8 weeks

Because the brain can fully adapt to the drug in as little as 1 month you would probably need to taper.  However because it has been for a short time you might be okay doing a faster taper, not the 10%/month taper rate.

You will need to listen to your body/symptoms and reduce according to those.

It is important to understand that it has nothing to do with how strong or determined you are as a person, the brain dictates how fast you can get off a psychiatric drug.

Tips for tapering off vilazodone (Viibryd)

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Because the brain can fully adapt to the drug in as little as 1 month you would probably need to taper.  However because it has been for a short time you might be okay doing a faster taper, not the 10%/month taper rate.

You will need to listen to your body/symptoms and reduce according to those.

It is important to understand that it has nothing to do with how strong or determined you are as a person, the brain dictates how fast you can get off a psychiatric drug.

Tips for tapering off vilazodone (Viibryd)

Thank you. I’m on 5mg. I had strung together a couple of good days where I felt good and seemed slightly improved so I’m not sure after 8 weeks what would have happened from the medication today to cause issues. I haven’t changed anything. I will try to stay calm and give it a couple of days to see if this  is some sort of fluke deal, otherwise I’ll taper off for sure. I just hope I return to my still crappy but better than this baseline once off. Thanks for the support.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature with the dose and the date you started on the dose.

15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Please update your drug signature with the dose and the date you started on the dose.

Done. Yep it’s like it has taken away arousal for me totally. Zero libido or arousal. I will start the taper today and pray I atleast go back to my prior baseline.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, markc2008 said:

I will start the taper today and pray I atleast go back to my prior baseline.

I suggest you look for some improvements however small.  Expecting and trying to get to your baseline can be frustrating and cause additional stress.  And instead of just accepting and being patient you might get impatient and try and rush things and make it worse.

It is better to compare how you are now with how you were at your worst, not how you were at your best or how you want to be.  This can help you to be more patient with the process.

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

I suggest you look for some improvements however small.  Expecting and trying to get to your baseline can be frustrating and cause additional stress.  And instead of just accepting and being patient you might get impatient and try and rush things and make it worse.

It is better to compare how you are now with how you were at your worst, not how you were at your best or how you want to be.  This can help you to be more patient with the process.

This is the worst I have been since getting what I assume is pssd. So it has made me worse reinstating now I guess.

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

Just now, markc2008 said:

This is the worst I have been since getting what I assume is pssd. So it has made me worse reinstating now I guess.

I would take getting back to pre reinstatement baseline at this point 

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

20 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I have a good sign but it provides more of a complex problem I need help with. I had not taken my dose of viibryd yet today as we slept in and had been busy with our son this morning. I was literally fixing to take it and noticed that I within the past hour had some arousal ability return. I think I know what your answer will be, I guess it’s a good sign I’m having that, but should I take the next dose of the viibryd and risk going back to the side effects and continue tapering or do I just stop? To summarize I’ve been on the viibryd two months. Roughly a month at 2.5mg and a month at 5mg. I cut the dose down some yesterday and put it on a scale to make sure it’s the same but it’s basically I’d say I went down 20%. I just don’t know what to do. I know it’s safer to taper but what if I lose all arousal ability again by taking the next dose? What if it doesn’t return? 

went to 5 mg 1/3/2022

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, markc2008 said:

To summarize I’ve been on the viibryd two months.

I've already answered that, and this post was made when I thought you were taking 2.5mg, not 5mg.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:16 AM, ChessieCat said: