Lululu: UK cross tapering from citalopram to sertraline / Zoloft

Lululu

So, paid privately for a psychiatrist, also changed my doctors surgery .

I've  been tapering for about three weeks now from citalopram 30 mg to sertraline.

I am doing 20 citalopram and 50 certraline and finding it ok.

After a month I'm going to reduce again and increase the sertraline to 100

Had some side effects, diarrhoea, fatigue, nausea,dizziness,  ( I didn't realise the diarrhoea  was linked to the sertraline .

I am finding to reduce nausea I have to take to tabs with a meal, even half an hour after makes me nauseas .

Have had some confusing info online about time of day to take .

I was taking with breakfast as that seemed the easiest time to remember , but it made me  fatigued, and I tried just to get out in fresh air to give me a boost and distract me from how I was feeling.

I later spoke to my doctors pharmacist who said because of the effects of feeling tired , most people take it in the evening .

Ive then swapped over but felt quite bad whilst I did this.

Just reread the notes I made after speaking to doctor  and saw I'd noted " rest and drink" and " stomach upset " 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lululu: UK cross tapering from citalopram to sertraline / Zoloft

Hi @Lululu

welcome to Surviving Antidepressants. 

You are welcome to peruse the site and read the information here. However, we provide support for member who want to come off of antidepressants so as to minimize withdrawal symptoms.  We do not provide support cross-tapering from one medicine to another or for picking the right cocktail of medicines. I think your doctors would be the best person to consult on that. However, there may be other patient groups who might be able to provide support as well.

If you do decide to come off of your antidepressants altogether then please let us know and we will help you do that in the least harmful way - these drugs can cause severe withdrawal symptoms and over the years patients have learned from each other on how to come off of them in a safer way.

*IF* you decide to come off of your drugs, please do not do it abruptly or over a few months. To minimize withdrawal effects. you need to lower your dosage by no more than 10% of your previous dose every 4 weeks. Here are a couple of links with information on why that is important. 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage? - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

Why taper? SERT transporter occupancy studies show importance of gradual change in plasma concentration - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

I hope you feel better soon, 
OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate