Pooky: melatonin, phenergan, temazepam to sleep thru seizures

Pooky

Hi there. Im 49 and female with young kids. was on 10mg phenergan, 10mg melatonin and 5mg temazepam before bed to sleep thru seizures for 8 months (also was on 5mg Valium in the Mornings. Seizures have spontaneously stopped but now I’m addicted to those drugs. My physician over ten days tapered down temazepam to zero and tapered up clonazepam to 0.25mg, tapered down phenergan to zero and melatonin to zero. Unsurprisingly I can’t sleep more than an hr, have akathisia and am going crazy. She suggested mirtazipine but I’ve been warned off that by others. My psychiatrist wants me on mirtazipine too. After advice from patients to avoid mirtazipine on another forum,  argued with my physician who has agreed to let me back on 2mg of melatonin and 12.5mg phenergan (as well as the 0.25 clonazepam) and to then taper slowly this time but she has no idea what she’s doing and nor do I. All psych places r full and would probably put me on temazepam anyway. Looking for any advice at all. About to start b2 with b6 I think it is.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Pooky: melatonin, phenergan, temazepam to sleep thru seizures

Welcome @Pooky

I am sorry you are going through this and are suffering, but relieved you have found us. Have you started taking phenergan again? We advise starting with a very low dose when reinstating a drug after quitting it. It is best to reinstate the drug that is causing withdrawal, rather than try other drugs to relieve symptoms. Talking mirtazapine is unpredictable and will complicate the healing process. Please read this:

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

About tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

NEVER SKIP DOSES TO TAPER

Why taper? Importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

Unfortunately medical professionals have a poor understanding of how these drugs affect people. I found this post helpful to understand how these drugs actually work and why healing takes time:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain  

Coming off these drugs can cause many different withdrawal symptoms, often leading to doctors thinking the original condition is returning or that another mental illness has emerged.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  

Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, be careful with supplements. Your central nervous system (CNS) has become sensitized from psychiatric drug use and can react unpredictably. Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other mind altering substances can make the condition worse.

Important topics about tests, supplements, treatments, diet

Here is our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover. 

Symptoms and self care topics  

To help us better advise you, can you please create a signature with all of the drugs that you are taking and have been taking in the last couple of years following these instructions:

How to List Drug History in Signature

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Kiasofia

These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I have learned, not medical advice.

Drug history

2002-2019 Citalopram/Escitalopram, Lamictal
2019 April Escitalopram, quit at 10mg (withdrawal), Oct Escitalopram 10mg reinstated, quit after a few days (adverse reaction)

2019 Oct Lamictal cut from 200mg to 100mg
2019 Dec Lithium 83x2 mg

2020 Aug-Nov Lamictal tapered to 50 mg

2020 Nov 24 Lithium taper started, 30 Jan off Lithium

2021 15. March-31. May Lamictal tapered to 32.5 mg (holding)

2022 10. Jan started taking 25mg+5mg+2mg+0.5 liquid, 22. Jan went back to taking 25mg+5mg+half 5mg