Suzy33: Which medication to "reinstate" in order to taper

Suzy33

I will go by the name of Suzy.  I am a married 61 year old female.  I have been on medications for anxiety since 1992.  Although I have been taking antidepressants it was actually for my anxiety.  This is what always confused me in the diagnosis of my condition.  Why do they label it depression.  I only experienced depression, because of my abnormal life in not being able to function over the years.  The following medications are listed below in the chronological order.

Lamotrigine

Promethazine

Desvenlafazine (Pristiq)

Escitalopram

Alprazolam

Buspirone (Buspar)

Bupropion (Wellbutrin)

Viibryd (Vilazodone)

Trintellix (Vortioxetine)

Fluoxetine

Hydroxyzine

Mirtazapine (Remeron)

The last medication, Mirtazapine, I took for approximately 90 days. Dosages ranged from 7.5mg to 30mg.  The "side effects" of this medication were weakness in my body, racing heartbeat, involuntary muscle spasms in my hand/fingers and weight gain.  The weight gain was insignificant to me though as compared to the other side effects.

I did a "tapering" of sorts with this Mirtazapine at the doctors direction, but I know now that it wasn't enough of a slow taper.

I am experiencing a lot of the WD symptoms listed for these drugs to include:  brain zaps, muscle cramps, then muscle spasms and now tremors mostly in my legs.  I have also have had extreme (more than before) waves of anxiety, difficulty in swallowing, nausea.  I recently purchased a “Relief Band” to help with the nausea.  It works somewhat.

Since I have been off of Mirtazapine, I have been taking 50ml in the AM and PM of a high quality full spectrum CBD oil.  I don't know if this is a help or hindrance after reading that supplements are not always a good thing to take.  Would like to get some advice on continuing this CBD oil

I have been off of Mirtazapine for 2 months, going on 3 months.  I this( Mirtazapine) the medicine which I should reinstate or is there another recommendation of another or a past medicine that I was prescribed.  

Jul/01/17 Clonazepam 0.5 (nightly as needed  3x weekly)***

Aug/07/18 Pristiq 100 mg (4 months)

Jan/05/19 COLD TURKEY-7 months- EXCEPT Clonazepam (night only)

Jun/02/21 Mirtazapine 7.5mg (1 mo.)

Jul/07/21 Mirtazapine 15mg (2 mo.)

Sep/14/21 Mirtazapine 30mg (1 mo.); TAPERING OFF

Oct/10/21 Mirtazapine  15mg (1 week)

Oct/17/21 Mirtazapine 7.5mg (1 week)

Oct/25/21 MIRTAZAPINE 0.000MG (2.5 mo)

Jan/13/22 Adjusted Clonazepam 0.25mg 3x weekly to 0.25mg daily.

Jan/31/22  Reintroduction of 1.75mg of Mirtazepam 1 hr before bedtime and 0.25mg of Clonazepam 1 hour after waking in AM

• ChessieCat changed the title to Suzy33: Which medication to "Reinstate" in order to taper

a continuation of Suzy33's introduction and question of reinstating.   I forgot to include a medication (Clonazepam or Klonopin) that I have been taking for approximately 6 years.  This was to enable me to get into REM sleep.  I have taken it every so often during the past 2 months, whenever I have had an extremely tough day of overwhelming anxiety.  What is the protocol to taper off these last two medicines (Mirtazapine & Clonazepam.  

Jan/31/22  Reintroduction of 1.75mg of Mirtazepam 1 hr before bedtime and 0.25mg of Clonazepam 1 hour after waking in AM

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Suzy33.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

On 1/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, Suzy33 said:

I have been off of Mirtazapine for 2 months, going on 3 months.  I this( Mirtazapine) the medicine which I should reinstate or is there another recommendation of another or a past medicine that I was prescribed.  

Please let us know more about your taper:

• the date you started mirtazapine and the dose
  • the date you started your taper and the dose
  • the date you stopped and your stop dose

After we get this information, we can help you with a reinstatement. It's possible a reinstatement may help. Here is more information: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

4 hours ago, Suzy33 said:

I forgot to include a medication (Clonazepam or Klonopin) that I have been taking for approximately 6 years.  This was to enable me to get into REM sleep.  I have taken it every so often during the past 2 months, whenever I have had an extremely tough day of overwhelming anxiety.  What is the protocol to taper off these last two medicines (Mirtazapine & Clonazepam.

Please let us know what "every so often" looks like, especially the past 2 months. Is it two or three times a week? Is it once a month? If you have the dates you took them, that would be very helpful for us to know. Klonopin is a benzodiazepine (sometimes called a "benzo"). Benzos are sneaky drugs that can cause dependency very quickly. If you're not already doing so, please start writing down the days you take a Klonopin and the dose. Some of your anxiety may be interdose withdrawal (going into withdrawal in between doses). 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in reinstating and provide other information, as well. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Suzy33: Which medication to "reinstate" in order to taper
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, Shep said:

Hi, Suzy33.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Please let us know more about your taper:

• the date you started mirtazapine and the dose
  • the date you started your taper and the dose
  • the date you stopped and your stop dose

After we get this information, we can help you with a reinstatement. It's possible a reinstatement may help. Here is more information: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please let us know what "every so often" looks like, especially the past 2 months. Is it two or three times a week? Is it once a month? If you have the dates you took them, that would be very helpful for us to know. Klonopin is a benzodiazepine (sometimes called a "benzo"). Benzos are sneaky drugs that can cause dependency very quickly. If you're not already doing so, please start writing down the days you take a Klonopin and the dose. Some of your anxiety may be interdose withdrawal (going into withdrawal in between doses). 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in reinstating and provide other information, as well. 

I hope I provided enough information in my signature to provide guidance for consideration to reinstating or not.  The signature, that I created is in a list, with date formats as suggested. or do you want it in a bullet or outline form?  As per your recommendation I have started a journal/writing down days and doses taking Klonopine.  Also is this the correct way to respond to you post?

• Moderator Emeritus

@Suzy33Thanks for filling out your signature.

Taking .25 mg of clonazepam 3 times a week may have caused dependency, so some of your symptoms may be from interdose withdrawal. So some of your current symptoms may be from periodic dosing of clonazepam, as well as mirtazapine withdrawal. 

How is your sleep on the nights you take clonazepam? Does taking clonazepam resolve some or all of your symptoms? 

Thanks for the reply.  I have resorted to taking 0.25mg of clonazepam each morning.  It has helped considerably with getting me through the day without the constant panic attacks (mind), tremors (physical/body) and nausea.  I still have these, but to a lesser degree.  It helps take the edge off and make life bearable.  Out of the aforementioned issues, I would say that it has help with the nausea the most.  Yesterday I didn't have any nausea and didn't use my "Relief-Band", which is a device worn to help reduce/eliminate this.  Before resorting to taking 0.25mg of clonazepam each day I was having issues with falling asleep, because of anxiety/panic attacks and my mind racing.  I now am able to fall asleep more readily without these issues.  I have, for the most part always been able to stay asleep over the night. I will go into my signature now and edit my clonazepam dose. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the additional information, Suzy. It sounds like you were dealing with clonazepam withdrawal. That was smart to start taking it every day. The goal now is to stabilize for a few weeks before beginning a very slow taper. 

Thanks, for confirming my reintroducing of Clonazepam.  When we look at "stabilizing" before starting tapering, are we looking at all symptoms i.e. cessation of leg tremors, hands functioning properly and anxiety attacks to a minimum?  in other words, does the "stabilize countdown" of a few weeks begin with these symptoms being lessoned, as described in the prior sentence?

A question about the medication Miritazepam [which I refer to as my head (day) medicine]: are we ruling out this as not being something that is causing WD symptoms?

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, Suzy33 said:

When we look at "stabilizing" before starting tapering, are we looking at all symptoms i.e. cessation of leg tremors, hands functioning properly and anxiety attacks to a minimum?  in other words, does the "stabilize countdown" of a few weeks begin with these symptoms being lessoned, as described in the prior sentence?

You'll want to be stabilize enough to handle any upticks in symptoms. This is a really good description of where you need to be to taper:

Withdrawal Normal

On 1/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, Suzy33 said:

A question about the medication Miritazepam [which I refer to as my head (day) medicine]: are we ruling out this as not being something that is causing WD symptoms?

I imagine that some of what you're dealing with is from the mirtazepam. The reason to focus on the benzo first is to rule out interdose withdrawal. Since you saw immediate improvement when you started daily dosing, that's a  sign you're dependent on this drug. By taking it daily, you're in a much better place for tapering when you stabilize. Most people aren't able to taper periodic benzo use. It's much easier to taper with daily, consistent dosing. 

Please let us know how you're doing over the next few days. If you're still having a lot of symptoms, you may want to reinstate 1 or 2 mg of mirtazapine and see how you feel. It's been three months since you stopped this drug, so you'll want to reinstate at a very, very small dose so your nervous system doesn't hyper-react to it. 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, Suzy33 said:

I will go by the name of Suzy.  I am a married 61 year old female.  I have been on medications for anxiety since 1992.  Although I have been taking antidepressants it was actually for my anxiety.  

Same thing happened to me as a teenager, i only had anxiety but they labelled it as depression and anxiety, i can only think it was for insurance purposes and to get the medicine, again this was when i was VERY young, i did end up developing depression also, but it started as anxiety too

Klonopin Mar 2013 - Feb 2021 - used .000 gram scale to cut pills did very slowly from 2017-2021, had no issues stopping after final dose that was sub .5mg diazepam equivalent (If anyone wants advice for tapering Klonopin with a gram scale, feel free to ask!)

tapered off zyprexa twice over 2 weeks in my 20's, had little issue with that after about 3-4 years of use both times.

Prozac 40MG for 5 years - 2016 - 2021 (Total of 13 years of consecutive use)

(Most recent after last break, been on cumulatively in my life 14 years all times combined, 3 separate on/off occasions, all successful except most recent 3/4)

Recent Issue:  Tapered gradually from 40MG down to 0MG from May 7th - Aug 18th

Felt fine through Oct 5th, slowly started getting depression, panic, and anxiety (Was original thing I was treated for)

Decided to go back on SSRI Nov 1st, reacted very bad to 20mg reinstatement, day 1 was fine, day 2 had ADR. Doctor said to drop dosage.

Took 5mg for 2 weeks, 10mg for 2 weeks, still felt physically sick, could not take 20mg for more than 3 days, looking for advice going forward (ADR)

Not happy about it, but on 1.5mg 3x ativan and temazepam 15mg for sleep

(Was sleeping 2-3 hrs nightly prior to temazepam, was first thing that broke 2-3 hr then wide awake sleep cycle)

Main symptoms: headaches from certain foods and meds, sleep is broken, anxiety and agitation is extremely high, cortisol spike sensitive, bad in morning better at night, panic attacks, concentration is awful, focus is awful, anhedonia is awful, sensitive to light and noise, especially noise, extreme depression, intense bouts of fear, every looks and feels 'scary' at times, stress tolerance extremely low, have bouts of extreme anxiety, and bouts akathesia, and bouts extreme anticipatory anxiety over basic events/tasks. Nervous system is clearly crashed.

No Prozac for 249 days.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:11 PM, Shep said:

You'll want to be stabilize enough to handle any upticks in symptoms. This is a really good description of where you need to be to taper:

Withdrawal Normal

I imagine that some of what you're dealing with is from the mirtazepam. The reason to focus on the benzo first is to rule out interdose withdrawal. Since you saw immediate improvement when you started daily dosing, that's a  sign you're dependent on this drug. By taking it daily, you're in a much better place for tapering when you stabilize. Most people aren't able to taper periodic benzo use. It's much easier to taper with daily, consistent dosing. 

Please let us know how you're doing over the next few days. If you're still having a lot of symptoms, you may want to reinstate 1 or 2 mg of mirtazapine and see how you feel. It's been three months since you stopped this drug, so you'll want to reinstate at a very, very small dose so your nervous system doesn't hyper-react to it. 

Suzy here:  I have been having really bad tremors/cramping sensations in my legs and have been very nauseated over the past few days.  The areas of cramping (painful) are in the hips and knees with accompanying tremors in those limbs.  So it's been basically a week since reintroducing the .25mg and the symptoms (tremors/cramping) seem to be worse.  I am not experiencing any major anxiety attacks, but more so of this never ending tremors and cramping.  Since I started the reintroduction. at .25mg of the "benzo" I'm thinking (based on what I've read) that I need to increase the dose to .5mg to stabilize.  I hate to do this, but my emotions (crying) has gotten the better of me.  My husband (who is along for the "ride") is thinking that this may be the correct thing to do also. I (we) were torn between the increase of benzo and the reintroduction of the Mirtazepam.  

• Moderator Emeritus
On 1/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, Suzy33 said:

I have resorted to taking 0.25mg of clonazepam each morning.  It has helped considerably with getting me through the day without the constant panic attacks (mind), tremors (physical/body) and nausea.  I still have these, but to a lesser degree.  It helps take the edge off and make life bearable.  Out of the aforementioned issues, I would say that it has help with the nausea the most.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:18 AM, Suzy33 said:

Suzy here:  I have been having really bad tremors/cramping sensations in my legs and have been very nauseated over the past few days.  The areas of cramping (painful) are in the hips and knees with accompanying tremors in those limbs.  So it's been basically a week since reintroducing the .25mg and the symptoms (tremors/cramping) seem to be worse.  I am not experiencing any major anxiety attacks, but more so of this never ending tremors and cramping.  Since I started the reintroduction. at .25mg of the "benzo" I'm thinking (based on what I've read) that I need to increase the dose to .5mg to stabilize.

Please don't double the benzo dose just yet.

You may want to try reinstating a bit of the mirtazapine -  1 or 2 mg of mirtazapine and see how you feel. It's been about three months since you stopped this drug, so you'll want to reinstate at a very, very small dose so your nervous system doesn't hyper-react to it. If these symptoms are more related to the AD, then upping the benzo may not help. 

Please let us know your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Shep said:

Please don't double the benzo dose just yet.

You may want to try reinstating a bit of the mirtazapine -  1 or 2 mg of mirtazapine and see how you feel. It's been about three months since you stopped this drug, so you'll want to reinstate at a very, very small dose so your nervous system doesn't hyper-react to it. If these symptoms are more related to the AD, then upping the benzo may not help. 

Please let us know your thoughts. 

The only doses that I have for Miritazepine is 7mg and 30mg.  How do I go about getting 1 or 2mg?  Also, what do you mean by the term "AD"?  I believe that I also mentioned in my introduction that I have been taking a full spectrum CBD oil since I originally did the CT.  I don't remember getting any feedback concerning this whether it is helpful or not. The doses for this are 50ml in the AM and also in the PM

• Moderator Emeritus
21 minutes ago, Suzy33 said:

The only doses that I have for Miritazepine is 7mg and 30mg.  How do I go about getting 1 or 2mg?  Also, what do you mean by the term "AD"?  I believe that I also mentioned in my introduction that I have been taking a full spectrum CBD oil since I originally did the CT.  I don't remember getting any feedback concerning this whether it is helpful or not. The doses for this are 50ml in the AM and also in the PM

The term "AD" means antidepressant.

For getting a tiny amount of mirtazapine, please see: 

If you're not able to get prescription liquid mirtazapine, you can make your own liquid. The instructions are in the first post of that thread. Or you can taper using a scale. Instructions for that are also in that first post. Please post if you have any questions after reading that first post. 

CBD Oil is a hit or a miss for people with destabilized nervous systems due to withdrawal. 

Cannabis, marijuana, hashish, THC, & CBD (cannabidiol) or Hemp oil

You may want to keep a journal of symptoms to see if the CBD oil is helping by noting how you feel before and after you take it. 

On 1/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, Shep said:

The term "AD" means antidepressant.

For getting a tiny amount of mirtazapine, please see: 

If you're not able to get prescription liquid mirtazapine, you can make your own liquid. The instructions are in the first post of that thread. Or you can taper using a scale. Instructions for that are also in that first post. Please post if you have any questions after reading that first post. 

CBD Oil is a hit or a miss for people with destabilized nervous systems due to withdrawal. 

Cannabis, marijuana, hashish, THC, & CBD (cannabidiol) or Hemp oil

You may want to keep a journal of symptoms to see if the CBD oil is helping by noting how you feel before and after you take it. 

I made my own liquid (as per the referenced thread)from the 7mg tablet. Dissolving in 20ml of water and dosing 5ml of that 20ml.  I am also taking 0.25mg of the benzo; staying a the original reintroduction rate.  When I was prescribed Mirtazepine I was instructed to take it at night a 1 or 2 hours before bed so I wouldn't be so drowsy the next day.  While on Mirtazepam I was only taking the Benzo (originally prescribed as helping me get REM sleep) as need for bad anxiety attacks.  Should I follow this past guidance or....?  So, today being the first day (after taking the Mirazepam before bed) I woke up with a headache.  Took the benzo (within an hour after waking) as I have been doing as of late.  I took a nap to try and get rid of the headache.  Woke after a couple of hours with still a slight headache, ate, lunch,  took another nap and woke with headache gone.  Ate supper and had to sleep again.  Perhaps I ate too much. Lol.  Your thoughts...

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Suzy33 said:

I made my own liquid (as per the referenced thread)from the 7mg tablet. Dissolving in 20ml of water and dosing 5ml of that 20ml. 

Putting 7 mg into 20 mL of water gives you 0.35 mg per 1 mL and taking 5 mL gives you a dose of 1.75 mg. That is a good reinstatement amount to test the waters. 

Please update your signature to reflect your reinstatement drug and dose. Here is a direct link to your signature: 

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

9 hours ago, Suzy33 said:

While on Mirtazepam I was only taking the Benzo (originally prescribed as helping me get REM sleep) as need for bad anxiety attacks.  Should I follow this past guidance or....?

On 1/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, Suzy33 said:

I have resorted to taking 0.25mg of clonazepam each morning.  

Please verify what time(s) of day you are taking each of these drugs. You mentioned taking the benzo originally for REM sleep but it looks like you're now taking it in the morning. 

There is a "moderate" drug interaction:

Drug Interaction Report

We recommend separating potentially interacting drugs at least 2 hours apart. Even though the doses you're taking are low, because your nervous system is destabilized, it may hyper-react even to low doses. But as long as you're separating the doses by at least 2 hours, you should be okay. 

It takes about 4 days for your nervous system to register the reinstatement and it can take several weeks to adjust.  Please let us know how you're doing over the coming days. 

2 hours ago, Shep said:

Putting 7 mg into 20 mL of water gives you 0.35 mg per 1 mL and taking 5 mL gives you a dose of 1.75 mg. That is a good reinstatement amount to test the waters. 

Please update your signature to reflect your reinstatement drug and dose. Here is a direct link to your signature: 

Account Settings - Create or Update Your Signature

Please verify what time(s) of day you are taking each of these drugs. You mentioned taking the benzo originally for REM sleep but it looks like you're now taking it in the morning. 

There is a "moderate" drug interaction:

Drug Interaction Report

We recommend separating potentially interacting drugs at least 2 hours apart. Even though the doses you're taking are low, because your nervous system is destabilized, it may hyper-react even to low doses. But as long as you're separating the doses by at least 2 hours, you should be okay. 

It takes about 4 days for your nervous system to register the reinstatement and it can take several weeks to adjust.  Please let us know how you're doing over the coming days. 

Yes the clonazepam was originally prescribed before bedtime years ago because I was not getting into REM sleep.  My prescribing doctor for the Mertazepam, since I was taking it before (10 PM) bedtime, suggested I use the benzo as needed over the day when I had a bad day (anxiety) to take it.  I was only having to use it about 3 times a week.  I am now taking the Mirtazepine (1.75mg) 1 hour before bedtime and taking the benzo (0.25mg) 1 hour after (9 AM )waking.  The two meds are separated by way more than 2 hours.  I have updated my signature to reflect this change and reintroduction.  Thank you for your quick response and your help.

It has now been 8 days since reinstatement of Mertazepine and Clonazepam.

• I do not have the major cramping in my hips/knees any longer but still have tremors in legs mostly in calf area and somewhat in my thighs.  I have been stretching and this seems to help with those symptoms. The tremors can happen when I have been sitting in a reclining position or when standing at the sink doing dishes.
  • I still have weakness in my legs and somewhat in my hands
  • I didn't mention before that I had difficulty in breathing (not being able to catch a full breath) and had a case of the yawns.  Since the reintroduction of Mertazepine this has since stopped.
  • I am no longer experiencing the sleepiness as I was after the first couple of days since reinstatement.
  • My appetite has returned, which I think is a side effect of the Mirtazepine.  Hoping not to gain weight as a result.
  • The nausea has decreased and is more manageable with my "Relief Ban" aid.
  • I have noticed that I have a lack of patience and seem to be angry at little things though not directed at people. ??? Seems as though my inability to function physically makes me angry.
  • I have been able to fall  asleep easily and feel rested.  I average about 8-9 hours of sleep with an occasional nap over the day.
  • My crying spells are at a minimum now.  I can still get emotional if I dwell on certain things in my life and sad things about life in general.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Q:  Have you had any further improvement of your symptoms since the above post?

I will ask the other mods for their assistance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

The idea of reinstating is NOT to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  Once your symptoms are tolerable you then hold on that dose until your reach withdrawal normal:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

See:

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

38 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Q:  Have you had any further improvement of your symptoms since the above post?

I will ask the other mods for their assistance.

My symptoms are still the same.  I have had a few panic attacks over the past few weeks.  I would say that I have been experiencing more good days (without panic attacks) than bad days.  After reviewing WDNormal I would say that that is about where I am at.  I printed out the Dr.'s checklist and will monitor my symptoms/body with it.  I will continue with the reinstating dose. Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus
25 minutes ago, Suzy33 said:

I printed out the Dr.'s checklist and will monitor my symptoms/body with it.

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

The above link has links to ONE MONTH computer and printable versions of the WD symptoms list.

Edited by ChessieCat

• Administrator
On 2/19/2022 at 1:55 PM, Suzy33 said:

My symptoms are still the same.

Hello, @Suzy33 Please describe your current symptom pattern. What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with dosages? How do you feel before and after each dose?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The Mertazapine dosage is 1.75mg, which is taken at 8 PM.  I also am now taking 25mg of CBD oil before going to bed at 10-11 PM.  Dosage of CBD oil has been reduced from 50mg prior.

• I can't really say that there is any difference in how I feel leading up to the time that I take the med compared to what I am feeling over the day i.e.
    • trembling in my legs mostly
    • my hands lack fine motor control while I wash dishes.  I have to concentrate on those small motor functions to make them function
    • a great heaviness over my body (feeling like a zombie)
    • in a fog mentally
    • I know that after I take the med, that I will become sleepy and while asleep I won't have to deal with all this.  Which is a relief.

The Clonazepam dosage is .05mg and is taken at 10AM along with another 25mg of CBD oil.

• I usually rise from sleeping about 8 AM.  During my morning routine of 1 cup of coffee and eating a boiled egg and bacon or yogurt with berries and nuts added I usually experience the tremors in my legs. 
    • After taking the Clonazepam I usually experience a lifting of the morning fog and not so heavy feeling in my body.  This will usually last few hours.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Suzy33 said:

After taking the Clonazepam I usually experience a lifting of the morning fog and not so heavy feeling in my body.  This will usually last few hours.

@Frogie would you say a split dose of clonazepam might be a good idea in this situation?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Suzy33

What time do you go to bed at night? 

If you want to try to split your dose of Clonazepam, you would want to take it 10-12 hours apart. So if you take it at 10:00 am, you would take 1/2 your dose at 10:00 am and then 1/2 the dose at 11:00 am, moving the 1/2 dose by one hour everyday until you reached your bedtime.

I would not take the CBD at the same time as the Clonazepam. I would take it a couple of hours after your dose.

How does that sound @Altostrata?

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Administrator

Sounds good to me.

The splitting of the Clonazepam and moving the "other half" dose an hour later each day is helping.  I have a question concerning future doses of the Mertazapine.  I currently have 12 days left of the 7.5 mg, (of which I am dosing at 1.75mg) of Mertazapine.  I do have 22 tablets of 30mg of Mertazapine, (which is the dose I was taking before stopping.  These tablets are half scored.  Can I quarter these 30mg tablets to give me a 7.5mg dose?  The 7.5mg dose is what I am using to dissolve in order to get my 1.75mg dose.  

Another question, which I have is concerning the higher doses of Mirtazapine.  When the doctor was prescribing the higher doses of this drug, she made the comment that the higher doses (mg)  had less of a sedative effect.  Is this "less of a sedative effect"  just peculiar to this drug at higher doses or is there less of a sedative compound in this drug at higher doses???  Please advise as to whether I can take the 30mg dose and quarter it so I can continue to dose at 1.75mg.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Suzy33 said:

Can I quarter these 30mg tablets to give me a 7.5mg dose?

Yes. 

You're unable to get prescription mirtazapine liquid?

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2022 at 2:33 PM, Altostrata said:

Yes. 

You're unable to get prescription mirtazapine liquid?

I am unable to get this med in a liquid form.  I have the problem resolved.  I was able to get the same dose (7.5 mg) as before.  An update on my current state. I was having too many panic attacks when splitting to Clonazepam so I went back to taking the 0.25mg in the AM.  My symptoms are still the same:

On 2/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, Suzy33 said:
  • trembling in my legs mostly
  • my hands lack fine motor control while I wash dishes.  I have to concentrate on those small motor functions to make them function
  • a great heaviness over my body (feeling like a zombie)
  • in a fog mentally

I am still experiencing the trembling in my legs, which is causing pain in my hips and knee joints.  I guess due to the muscles contracting (trembling) that it causing me to have pain.  I am also experiencing this tightness/trembling  in the abdomen area.  Due to the trembling in the legs I am not able to drive myself anywhere, so I am basically house bound without my husband to drive.  

If this trembling of my muscles is due to WD and has been like this since mid Feb does this mean my dose is too low?

Due to the panic attacks, which I still am having, I cannot bear the thought of having to go anywhere. Anything out of my normal routine will/can set off an attack.

While speaking (during a crying spell) to my husband this AM, I said that if this process is going to take years then we won't have to much time left in our lives to do anything with me housebound.  He will be 70 this year and I will be 61.  This is very disheartening.  

With my age (and his) I ask myself (and my support group here) IS this worth going through and why not being on a medication that will enable me go outside the house and enjoy what years my husband I have left?

revision 2.pages

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Suzy33 said:

With my age (and his) I ask myself (and my support group here) IS this worth going through and why not being on a medication that will enable me go outside the house and enjoy what years my husband I have left?

This is something you'll have to decide. When you first came to this site, you were already off the antidepressant and I believe taking a benzo periodically (please correct me if I'm wrong). So you're dealing with a destabilized nervous system that may or may not be able to handle these drugs the way it did in the past. 

Are you feeling better overall now than when you first joined this forum? You may want to re-read your thread first. I just re-read it and it looked like you were seeing some improvements overall. I sense a feeling of battle fatigue from dealing with the side effects of these drugs and now dealing with withdrawal symptoms. But if you feel you're doing better overall with the small antidepressant reinstatement and regular benzo dosing, you may want to continue on with a taper after you feel stable enough to handle any upticks in symptoms. 

• Administrator

Please review adverse effects of long-term clonazepam https://www.drugs.com/sfx/clonazepam-side-effects.html#professional, such as

shakiness and unsteady walk

unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination