dalsaan

Taurine (L-taurine amino acid)

dalsaan

Hi everyone,

I have recently been paying a lot of attention to hyperarousal. I decided to do all I could to make sure I wasnt stimulating my system (dropped caffeine, sugar+low gi diet)

and looked into inhibitory amino acids. I started taking Taurine at night about 2 weeks ago. I started off by taking 500mg at night just before bed. For the first couple

of nights I felt a bit spacey but then it just became a relaxed feeling. I also noticed that I wasnt so anxious in the morning.

I was encouraged by this and started taking 500 mg in the morning and over a couple of nights increased my nightly intake to 2grm at night. My sleep improved quite a bit through this.

I then reinstated my magnesium supplement. This was really positive as well. I have now had 3 nights of good quality sleep lasting a minimum of six hours. For me, that is amazing!

I also feel much less stress at work and feel like I'm coping much better.

I think it has been a combination of the dietary changes and the supplements but I could really notice positive changes with the Taurine.

The Magnesium didnt do much for me on its own but added to the Taurine it was great.

obviously everyone is different but I hope this is useful for someone

Dalsaan

caro123

Have you tried Hymalean Sea Salt? It is full of minerals and 1/4 tsp before bed with lots of water is helpfull too.

I have also gone gluton free. Gluton can affect good/bad bacteria in gut; bad gut can affect health and well being.

I am going to try the magnesium - have been meaning too but been putting it off.

Thanks for the info. Good luck with the rest of your tapper. Caro

aza

Hi everyone,

I have recently been paying a lot of attention to hyperarousal. I decided to do all I could to make sure I wasnt stimulating my system (dropped caffeine, sugar+low gi diet)

and looked into inhibitory amino acids. I started taking Taurine at night about 2 weeks ago. I started off by taking 500mg at night just before bed. For the first couple

of nights I felt a bit spacey but then it just became a relaxed feeling. I also noticed that I wasnt so anxious in the morning.

I was encouraged by this and started taking 500 mg in the morning and over a couple of nights increased my nightly intake to 2grm at night. My sleep improved quite a bit through this.

I then reinstated my magnesium supplement. This was really positive as well. I have now had 3 nights of good quality sleep lasting a minimum of six hours. For me, that is amazing!

I also feel much less stress at work and feel like I'm coping much better.

I think it has been a combination of the dietary changes and the supplements but I could really notice positive changes with the Taurine.

The Magnesium didnt do much for me on its own but added to the Taurine it was great.

obviously everyone is different but I hope this is useful for someone

Dalsaan

Dalsaan hi,

I'm wondering what brand Taurine you are useing? Where are you purchasing and how much is it?

I have read some good things about taurine in conbination with magnesium, have you read anything about the new Magnesium product ReMag by Dr. Carolyn Dean. I just received mine in the mail on the 13th. 100% absorbed.

I find I have to split it up into smaller doses or it becomes too sedating. I am taking 250 mg. spread through out the day.

Anyway I'm curious to know what you can tell me about taurine.

Enjoy your day.

Altostrata

Please, aza, no more about that particular brand name supplement outside of the magnesium topic. You're starting to sound like a sales rep. :)

dalsaan

Hi Aza

I buy my taurine at GNC It's $18 Australian for 50. I take 2 per night 500 mg each but I also take a magnesium powder that has 1000mg taurine. So overall I am taking 2mg plus magnesium

I find that it blunts my arousal and therefore helps me sleep

GiaK

I took taurine and found it helpful for a long time...it ended up turning on me at some point though...and so it's been a long while since I've taken it...

I'm wondering if I should give it another go...

I've always taken mag so I'm not sure if they were working together or not...

dalsaan

I have found that taurine works better with mag than without. I have also found that the sleep effect poops out after a little while (a couple of weeks). I then stop it for a couple of days or a week and then restart. It seems to work again when I do this

I dont know why that happens but I don't think I'm imagining it : )

aza

Please, aza, no more about that particular brand name supplement outside of the magnesium topic. You're starting to sound like a sales rep. :)

No problem.

Thanks, have a good day.

aza

I have found that taurine works better with mag than without. I have also found that the sleep effect poops out after a little while (a couple of weeks). I then stop it for a couple of days or a week and then restart. It seems to work again when I do this

I dont know why that happens but I don't think I'm imagining it : )

Thanks dalssan, thats what I use as well.

Have a good day.

alexjuice

Taurine also helps with digestion, as I understand it. Integral to bile production and utilization.

alexjuice

Any new reports on Taurine?

I've been supplementing with it during the day, 2mg in divided doses. I am considering adding another 1-2g at night for sleep.

I'm being prescribed it by my doctor for liver detoxification benefit. I don't want to overdo it though on the dosage.

Alex

GiaK

I gave it another shot as I suggested I might above and it was NASTY...another substance I'm hyper-sensitive to...I will no longer experiment with amino acids...they've all gone nasty on me pretty much.

I do think it and other amino acids can be helpful for lots of folks though.

Altostrata

I just ordered some magnesium taurate, haven't taken it yet, though. Will report back.

bruno2016

I think some, or many, can benefit with specific amino acids. My MD uses various ones for things like mood and stuff. The ones that I find helpful are NAC and sometimes DLPA although I dont like to use DLPA too much because it does stimulate me. Also, l theanine is a good one and GABA seems to work sometimes. I haven t tried taurine but have read some positive things about it.

Altostrata

Mag taurate didn't seem to add anything to the general effects of magnesium. I'm now taking mag glycinate, seems quite effective.

I've got some taurine but have yet to try it.

Altostrata

I'm finding taurine has a weird effect. It's somewhat sedating but there's something unpleasantly edgy about it, too.

Talked to a knowledgeable doctor, he says taurine has a "sweet spot" but if you take too much, it's stimulating. That's why it's in those energy drinks.

500mg is too much for me. I can do okay with 250mg once a day (NOW brand), in the early evening. It seems to deepen sleep and works well with magnesium, as dalsaan observed.

Altostrata

I was taking taurine 250mg a day, in the evening. That seemed okay, so I started taking 250mg in the morning, too. (It's supposed to be calming for your heart.)

Bad idea! No sleep for days! That amount of taurine was too much for me. Or maybe it turned on me, like it did for Gia.

Be careful with taurine.

Aria

I'm looking into help with my unruly sleep and not sure if supplements from a regular store or a pharmaceutical grade herbal works best?

Altostrata

Look at the ingredients and get something that has as few additives as possible. I usually buy my supplements online from Swanson or iHerb or Amazon.

FreedomGirl

Looking for more info on Taurine, actually. Good to read your experiences with this amino. What concerns me is how it's contraindicated on other benzo sites due to messing with GABA receptors. Alto, can you comment on this or direct me to more info? I'd love to take Taurine for both my heart and to help aide sleep if possible but not if it's overstimulating. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18171928

Altostrata

Interesting about taurine.

I don't think anyone can predict whether this or any other amino will be beneficial. I don't put much store in analyses based on neurotransmitters; they hark back to the "chemical imbalance" days.

All you can do is start very low and see how it works for you.

I would prioritize fish oil and magnesium over any of the aminos, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Petunia

From Wellness Resources  http://www.wellnessresources.com/studies/taurine_activates_gaba_receptors/

Taurine Activates GABA Receptors

Comments: An important finding that supports the use of supplemental taurine to assist relaxation and sleep via the boosting of GABA nerve transmission.

Study Title:Taurine is a potent activator of extrasynaptic GABA(A) receptors in the thalamus.

From press release:

Taurine is one of the most plentiful amino acids in the human brain, but neuroscientists are still puzzled by just how brain cells put it to use. Now, a team of researchers at Weill Cornell Medical College (WCMC) has uncovered a prime site of activity for the molecule, bringing them closer to solving that mystery.

“We have discovered that taurine is a strong activator of what are known as GABA [gamma-aminobutyric acid] receptors in a regulatory area of the brain called the thalamus,” said study senior author Neil L. Harrison, professor of pharmacology and pharmacology in anesthesiology at WCMC. “We had discovered these receptors two years ago and showed that they interact with the neurotransmitter GABA—the brain’s key inhibitory transmitter—that is also involved in brain development. It seems that taurine shares these receptors.”

“Scientists have long questioned whether taurine might act on an as-yet-undiscovered receptor of its own,” said lead researcher Fan Jia, postdoctoral scientist in anesthesiology. “But after some recent work in our lab, we ended up zeroing in on this population of GABA receptors in the thalamus.”  The thalamus, located deep in the brain’s center, is involved in what neuroscientists call “behavioral state control,” helping to regulate transitions between sleep and wakefulness, for example.

“It’s like a railway junction, controlling information traffic between the brainstem, the senses and the executive functions in the cortex,” Harrison said. The researchers exposed thin slices of thalamic tissue from the brains of mice to concentrations of taurine that were similar to what might be found in the human brain.

“We found that taurine is extraordinarily active on this population of GABA receptors in the thalamus,” Harrison said. “It came as a bit of a surprise that the same receptor was used by both taurine and GABA. Nevertheless, finding taurine’s receptor has been like discovering the ‘missing link’ in taurine biology.”

Now, Harrison’s group is trying to determine what taurine actually does in the brain; Harrison said that because GABA is important for forging new cell-to-cell connections in the developing brain, “and because taurine shares a receptor with GABA, it, too, may play a role in neurological development.”

Full study can be found here:

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/28/1/106.full

Please note: Taurine can be stimulating in high doses, so if you are going to try it, start with a low dose to find out how it will effect you.

btdt

I wanted to know more about Taurine... just nosy and did a search on taurine... found these science articles but don't know how to get into them to read them...no I am not computer literate.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51220216_Effects_of_taurine_on_nitric_oxide_and_3-nitrotyrosine_levels_in_spleen_during_endotoxemia

this is what I can read

"

Effects of taurine on nitric oxide and 3-nitrotyrosine levels in spleen during endotoxemia.
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Gazi University, 06500 Teknikokullar, Ankara, Turkey.
Neurochemical Research (Impact Factor: 2.13). 06/2011; 36(11):1978-83. DOI:10.1007/s11064-011-0521-3
Source: PubMed

ABSTRACT Taurine (2-aminoethanesulfonic acid) is a free sulfur-containing β-amino acid which has antioxidant, antiinflammatory and detoxificant properties. In the present study, the role of endotoxemia on peroxynitrite formation via 3-nitrotyrosine (3-NT) detection, a"

and a lot more about it at these links.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=taurine+affects+on+nitric+oxide&oq=taurine+affects+on+nitric+oxide&aqs=chrome..69i57.11718j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

btdt

So I am hoping some smarter than I can look and tell me what it says if anything useful

btdt

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Zu8RooJYr60C&pg=PA6&dq=taurines+effect+on+pancreas&hl=en&sa=X&ei=O78gU_m6Fob_yQH644CIDg&ved=0CGEQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=taurines%20effect%20on%20pancreas&f=false

This is a book about Taurine only 53 bucks.. that use to be dinner...sometimes lunch it is now food allowance for a wk.. and out of the question.  If I had the money I would buy it, but I don't. 

Altostrata

If you're going to start a topic in Journals, please follow the requested format. See the pinned topics in Journals.

btdt

This is a journal page?  I did a search found Taurine... started from there.  What on this page shows it to be a journal page verses another sort of page ...where do I look I don't see anything saying Journal once I am at the page and sorry ... 

Altostrata

I merged your posts with an existing topic in Symptoms. The Journals forum is only for specific kinds of topics.

btdt

taurine is extraordinarily active on this population of GABA receptors in the thalamus

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/94393.php

""Scientists have long questioned whether taurine might act on an as-yet-undiscovered receptor of its own," notes lead researcher Dr. Fan Jia, postdoctoral scientist in the Department of Anesthesiology. "But after some recent work in our lab, we ended up zeroing in on this population of GABA receptors in the thalamus."

The thalamus, located deep in the brain's center, is involved in what neuroscientists call "behavioral state control," helping to regulate transitions between sleep and wakefulness, for example. "It's like a railway junction, controlling information traffic between the brainstem, the senses and the executive functions in the cortex," Dr. Harrison explains. "When you're sleeping, the thalamus is discharging slowly and isolates the cortex from sensory input. But when you're awake, the thalamus allows information from the sensory system to activate the cortex."

Investigating further, the researchers exposed thin slices of thalamic tissue from the brains of mice to concentrations of taurine that were similar to what might be found in the human brain.

"We found that taurine is extraordinarily active on this population of GABA receptors in the thalamus," Dr. Harrison says. "It came as a bit of a surprise that the same receptor was used by both taurine and GABA. Nevertheless, finding taurine's receptor has been like discovering the 'missing link' in taurine biology.""

btdt

ten benefits of taurine

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/782/Ten_Benefits_of_Taurine.aspx

Less Stress

Eat Meat For Best Results With Taurine

Burn Fat

Insulin Health

Raise Testosterone 

Fight Oxidative Stress

Better Performance and Faster Recovery From Training

Cardiovascular Health

Sleep Better

Better Brain Function 

A lot more information at the site these are just the titles. 

Taurine can be synthesized in the pancreas if sufficient cysteine is available. For best results you should get taurine in the diet and take a supplement. Resistance trainees and athletes will deplete this nutrient since it is involved in fat use for energy production and stress management. For example, baseball pitchers and track throwers tend to be deficient in taurine and magnesium due to all the high velocity throws they perform.

Taurine doesn’t just improve an already functioning metabolism. It has an antioxidant effect and has been found to lower chronic inflammation in the hypothalamus that results in greater insulin production by the pancreas, which in turn produces higher insulin levels and obesity. A related means by which taurine improves metabolism is by neutralizing free radicals in pancreatic cells called “beta cells.” Healthy beta cells are essential for gradual and modulated insulin secretion, and they help with glucose injection into cells for energy use.

Plus this is news to me so may be news to some of you too. 

This bit:

" chronic inflammation in the hypothalamus that results in greater insulin production by the pancreas" A brain pancreas connection and a taurine pancreas connection I have been looking for this. :) 

I posted the two references to the pancreas as I have pancratic issues and am taking a look at this mostly for my own benefit but maybe others have the same curiosity. 

Peace all

Petunia

I woke up at 2:30 this morning, which isn't unusual, I often wake through the night, but what was different was that my thoughts were racing and I realized I wasn't falling back to sleep like I usually do.  Then I remembered that I had forgotten to take the 500mg of taurine I usually take before going to sleep. I had fallen asleep while watching a video.

So I took it then and was able to go back to sleep. 

JanCarol

I think this is an important one. 

I was led to Taurine by - well my cat.  She has to have it in her cat food.  So when I saw on George Eby's Magnesium pages that it is essential for uptake of magnesium, I started it.  

I've been on 500 mg nightly for at least 6, maybe 10 months now, to accompany my Magnesium glycinate.  I still am very sleep cycle delayed (I would be an "insomniac" if I couldn't sleep in the mornings), but I feel more centered, more stable, on the mag / taurine.

If' it's true, that it binds to GABA in the thalamus, that would explain it's mood stabilizing properties.  I also eat meat for the same reason - mood stabilizing.  (I started that in 1998, and we had no idea about amino acids back then, I just thought it was a protein thing).

If, it is also true, that GABA reduces hypothalamic inflammation, and inhibits pancreatic signals to produce insulin, that may be a good reason not to quit unless it goes paradoxical on me.  Diabetes is one of my greatest fears, since I have "metabolic syndrome."  Even more so, now that my karate practice is suspended indefinitely.

My guess, if the GABA thing is true, that if I'm taking taurine, I should not be taking GABA, as they would compete for receptors?  (this amino thing is complicated and I blow steam out of my ears when I see people taking amino "complexes" which include the kitchen sink!)

Marco

So is taurine safe to take during taper with any kind of mediciation or should it be avoided with some kind?

Altostrata

Please read what people have to say in this topic. If you try taurine, please add your observations.

btdt

New to me>

"

• Magnesium - is particularly important in regulating and stabilising ATP, and is often displaced by the presence of heavy metals. With a deficiency of Magnesium, the ATP becomes over-regulated or inhibited, resulting in low energy levels. Magnesium helps to fire up various essential enzymatic reactions. Nutritional elements such as Magnesium, Zinc and Selenium have an important role in protecting the body from the effects of heavy metals, and those individuals with elevated heavy metal levels have a greater requirement for these nutrients (and a corresponding great need to detoxify the heavy metals from their bodies). Magnesium is best taken in Chelated form, e.g. Citrate or Glycinate, together with the amino acid Taurine to help carry it into the cells.
  • http://www.medicalinsider.com/mitochondrial.html