TenaciousE: Paroxetine taper - slow and steady

TenaciousE

Hi, I'm Erin and I'm glad to be here. I've been on Prozac, paroxetine, or Wellbutrin for the past 26 years. I've tried multiple times to get off due to side effects but the side effects of withdrawal were more evil than of staying on the meds. I used to smoke a lot of marijuana everyday which helped calm me down but it was starting to backfire so I got clean over 10 years ago in 2011 and haven't used drugs or alcohol since. 
I'm still determined to get off all drugs and I stumbled upon an article about tapering by 10%, using a compound pharmacist, and possibly using supplements to help with side effects. Then I heard of this site so here I am after all these years of trying to taper on my own! 
I'm currently working on adding more therapeutic foods into my diet, minimizing sugar and caffeine, walking regularly and researching supplements. I plan on starting my first 10% reduction in May or June 2022 after I meet with my psychiatrist. 
I'm also getting a tubal ligation in May and getting off my birth control so I can be free of all drugs! 

- Started Prozac 1996

- Switched to paroxetine in 1998, 37.5mg

- The next 24 years are followed by attempts to taper down to zero and have never made it past 12.5mg due to terrible withdraw and panic attacks

- Daily marijuana user from 1998-2011 - none since then 

- Put on Wellbutrin to help taper off paroxetine in 2011

- Quit Wellbutrin cold turkey in 2018 and still on 12.5mg paroxetine

- Got pregnant in 2018 - had extreme panic attacks at 5 months pregnant and increased dose to 37.5mg

- Currently on 30mg paroxetine and planning a 10% taper

• ChessieCat changed the title to TenaciousE: Paroxetine taper - slow and steady
  • Administrator

Welcome, @TenaciousE

Thanks for your signature. You're only taking paroxetine and birth control now? Here's our Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat) Paroxetine is available in a liquid for easier tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes thankfully just those two but unfortunately I've had severe side effects when trying to taper off paroxetine. Im really hoping the 10% taper will work much better and I'll definitely try the liquid. 

- Started Prozac 1996

- The next 24 years are followed by attempts to taper down to zero and have never made it past 12.5mg due to terrible withdraw and panic attacks

- Got pregnant in 2018 - had extreme panic attacks at 5 months pregnant and increased dose to 37.5mg

• Administrator

When was the last time you tried to go off paroxetine?

You might want to have your B12 levels checked before tapering. You won't want to go into this with low B12, low folate, or low D3.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

The last time I tried to reduce was about 1 year ago. I went from 37.5 CR to 30 regular. I have done well on this so far but I have to take it at the same time on the dot or I will get dizzy, emotional, nauseous, and have small brain zaps. 
Thanks for the info on the vitamins. I will definitely get a panel done. 

- Started Prozac 1996

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, TenaciousE said:

I went from 37.5 CR to 30 regular.

That would have been a 20% decrease. To avoid withdrawal symptoms, we advise 10% per month, calculated on the last dosage. Accordingly, your next decrease would be 3mg or 10% of 30mg. See Tips for tapering off paroxetine (Paxil, Seroxat) 

32 minutes ago, TenaciousE said:

I have to take it at the same time on the dot or I will get dizzy, emotional, nauseous, and have small brain zaps.

This indicates you will be sensitive to dosage reductions. You get withdrawal symptoms when you take Paxil slightly off schedule.