Valerie1: Whoops - made a mistake and updosed Mirtazapine - now have akathisia

Valerie1

• Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea, Valerie. You've been saying it was the updose in MIrtazapine that caused the akathisia. Until you're able to stop changing things, it's impossible to help you. You've likely destabilized your nervous system to the point you're unable to tolerate a lot of things. That's called nervous system kindling. 

Please let us know when you're ready to get on a set schedule and can continue with your drugs and symptoms journal. Then we can help you set up a game plan for getting out of the mess you're in. 

• 2 weeks later...

text.txt

2010-2020 Ambien 2.5 0 5 mg occasionally -2 to 4 times a week

March3 2020 Akathisia from taking azithromycin and nausea meds .  Started propanolol 10 -40 mg a day and ambien 10 mg a day

May - August 2020 Akathisia treatments:  Klonopin 0.125 mg -0.25 mg x 6 wks

mirtazapine 7.5 mg , propranolol 10-20 mg,  lunesta 2-3 mg  Benztropine 0.5 

August 2020.  Started tapering Mirtazapine. February 2022:  Mirt down to 1.42  

March 2022.  Updosed to 1.46 mg.  Allowed compounded bottle of mirtazapine to get too concentrated.  Started having akathisia, shaking , tingling when I switched to new less concentrated bottle.  Went to Dr who told me to updose to 1.7 mg.  Updosed  approx. March 23.  Burning in arms and feet, akathisia 
April 2022. Mirtazapine 1.7 mg, Ambien 2.5 mg.  Occasional Propranolol 10-30 mg,  Rescue dose as needed Klonopin 0.125 mg.    Continued Akathisia 

Supplements:  milk peptides, tart cherry, fish oil. Calcium, magnesium and zinc, 

May 5,

4:30 am.  Woke up feeling restless. Slept about 5 hours total.  Yesterday I felt so calm when I woke up.  What gives?

8:30. Took propranolol 5 mg

9 am. drs.  Appointment.  He wants me to take gabapentin which my support group says is a no no when tapering Mirtazapine.  Will hold off on taking it as I don’t want to mess up my cns so much.  I did like the idea of switching to atenolol for akathisia as my heart has had some irregular beats lately

10-3:30. Very distressing internal akathisia, not much external.  I spend hours researching akathisia.  Yesterday I felt so well for a lot of the day.  Why so much worse today?  Maybe it’s the addition of turmeric I took?

3:30. Tool 1 mg ambien.  Took 10 mg propranolol.
Took epsom salt bath,  felt better for 1 hour

6:30. Dinner,  supplements- tart cherry, milk peptides and calcium, magnesium and zinc capsule.  Took I ibuprofen 400 mg

7:30. Akathisia now external too.  Shaking and pacing in bedroom

9 pm. Mirtazapine- 1.65 mg

10 pm. Ambien 2.5 mg

10:30. Bed time.  Hope for a better tomorrow 

March3 2020 Akathisia from taking azithromycin and nausea meds .  Started propanolol 10 -40 mg a day and ambien 10 mg a day

March 2022.  Updosed to 1.46 mg.  Allowed compounded bottle of mirtazapine to get too concentrated.  Started having akathisia, shaking , tingling when I switched to new less concentrated bottle.  Went to Dr who told me to updose to 1.7 mg.  Updosed  approx. March 23.  Burning in arms and feet, akathisia 
April 2022. Mirtazapine 1.7 mg, Ambien 2.5 mg.  Occasional Propranolol 10-30 mg,  Rescue dose as needed Klonopin 0.125 mg.    Continued Akathisia 

Supplements:  milk peptides, tart cherry, fish oil. Calcium, magnesium and zinc, 

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Valerie1 said:

10-3:30. Very distressing internal akathisia, not much external.  I spend hours researching akathisia.  Yesterday I felt so well for a lot of the day.  Why so much worse today?

Perhaps because you didn't spend hours on the internet yesterday? You may have sent yourself into an emotional spiral and wound up your nervous system. Staring at the internet causes many people to have increased symptoms. It's very stimulating to the nervous system.

9 am. drs.  Appointment.  He wants me to take gabapentin which my support group says is a no no when tapering Mirtazapine.  Will hold off on taking it as I don’t want to mess up my cns so much.  I did like the idea of switching to atenolol for akathisia as my heart has had some irregular beats lately

You haven't posted for awhile, but it looks like your drugs are still all over the place. And now you want to switch out more drugs?

This is where you were earlier:

On 4/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, Valerie1 said:

9 am Propranolol 5 mg,  fish oil, 

3 pm. Propranolol 5 mg , 1 mg ambien

9 pm 1.68 mg Mirtazapine, 1.5 mg ambien 

And this is where you are now:

May 5,

8:30. Took propranolol 5 mg

3:30. Tool 1 mg ambien.  Took 10 mg propranolol.

9 pm. Mirtazapine- 1.65 mg

10 pm. Ambien 2.5 mg

You've gone from 2.5 mg Ambien in total to 3.5 mg and from 10 mg Propranolol in total to 15 mg.

If you're not able to stick to a schedule, we won't be able to help you. You'll need to work with your doctor.

Shep, thanks for responding.  I dropped the fish oil as it seemed to be making my akathisia worse.  I upped the propranolol and ambien slightly as my akathisia was been getting worse and I was having a hard time sleeping.  I went to the Dr to see if he had any new ideas but that doesn’t mean I agreed to take the Gabapentin. We talked about reducing my Mirtazapine dose  to 1.55 mg to see if that would help my akathisia.  But I tried a small test drop to 1.65 mg to make sure I didn’t react too violently.  That is possibly another reason my akathisia is so distressing right now.  I’ve only been sleeping 4 or 5 hours the last few nights.   I am really inspired by your story that you had severe akathisia and over came it.  Would you be willing to share some of the techniques that got you through it.  Thanks for your help with my tapering 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Valerie1 said:

Would you be willing to share some of the techniques that got you through it.  Thanks for your help with my tapering 

Valerie, you're not taking the advice I'm giving, so I doubt I'm helping. By continuing to bounce your drugs and supplements around, you're only cementing the level of kindling to your nervous system. It may take a complete nervous system crash before you get it.

Here is my toolkit. It's set up based on my worse symptom, which was DP/DR, but anything that's calming to the nervous system can also help with akathesia.

Shep’s Toolkit

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Valerie1 said:

I dropped the fish oil as it seemed to be making my akathisia worse.  I upped the propranolol and ambien slightly as my akathisia was been getting worse and I was having a hard time sleeping.  I went to the Dr to see if he had any new ideas but that doesn’t mean I agreed to take the Gabapentin. We talked about reducing my Mirtazapine dose  to 1.55 mg to see if that would help my akathisia.  But I tried a small test drop to 1.65 mg to make sure I didn’t react too violently.  

Whoa, that's a lot of changes - in less than a week?

If something works, how would you know what it is?

If something makes things worse, how would you know which one?

I hope you see the Sun today.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2022 at 4:40 AM, Valerie1 said:

Shep, thanks for responding.  I dropped the fish oil as it seemed to be making my akathisia worse.  I upped the propranolol and ambien slightly as my akathisia was been getting worse and I was having a hard time sleeping.  I went to the Dr to see if he had any new ideas but that doesn’t mean I agreed to take the Gabapentin. We talked about reducing my Mirtazapine dose  to 1.55 mg to see if that would help my akathisia.  But I tried a small test drop to 1.65 mg to make sure I didn’t react too violently.  That is possibly another reason my akathisia is so distressing right now.  I’ve only been sleeping 4 or 5 hours the last few nights.   I am really inspired by your story that you had severe akathisia and over came it.  Would you be willing to share some of the techniques that got you through it.  Thanks for your help with my tapering 

Hi! How is your akathisia? Hope you’re doing well. 

2000-2018 150-200mg Sertraline and Vyvanse

2018- vyvanse 60mg to 0 over 6mo. 200mg Sertraline to 150mg. 2019- 150mg Sertraline to 100mg. Early 2021- 100mg to 87.5, two weeks later 87.5 to 75mg, 1.25-4mg bromazepam PRN. Mid 2021 - Feb 2022 taper 2.5%-5% 75mg to 50mg. March 2022 bromazepam for 3 weeks. May 9th 2022 started Propranolol, 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. July 2022- off propranolol Oct 2022- off birth control. Dec 2022- updose sertraline 100mg, benztropine 1mg and Ativan 1mg. March 2023- stop benztropine. May 2023 - ativan taper finished. May 2023 - updose Sertraline to 125mg added propranolol 40mg added Ativan 1mg. July 5- sertraline 112.5mg propranolol 60mg, quick 2 week Ativan taper. Current meds: propranolol 60mg, sertraline 106.25mg, Ativan .025mg, B6, CoQ10, Magnesium Glycinate

Hi Lauren. Thanks so much for asking. I’m still having some but it has improved a lot. Some days I have quite a bit of restless legs feelings, like I can’t sit still but other days hardly at all. I’m especially pleased that the severe internal restless feeling has improved so much in recent weeks . I kept having Drs want me to start taking Gabapentin or Parkinson’s meds and now I’m glad I resisted.  I stopped taking daily propanolol and daily ambien and I think that has helped me feel better. I believe maybe half of my symptoms were a weird reaction from ambien (which is strange as I’ve used it for years but not every day ).  Now I find if I just take it a few nights a week I’m doing ok.  I’m holding on my tapering dose of Mirtazapine of 1.65 mg for some months until I feel totally stabilized. I’m nervous to declare complete victory as it’s only been a few weeks that I’ve been feeling better but I’m hopeful that this improvement will continue. Thanks so much for asking. Do you have akathisia too?

4 hours ago, Valerie1 said:

Hi Lauren. Thanks so much for asking. I’m still having some but it has improved a lot. Some days I have quite a bit of restless legs feelings, like I can’t sit still but other days hardly at all. I’m especially pleased that the severe internal restless feeling has improved so much in recent weeks . I kept having Drs want me to start taking Gabapentin or Parkinson’s meds and now I’m glad I resisted.  I stopped taking daily propanolol and daily ambien and I think that has helped me feel better. I believe maybe half of my symptoms were a weird reaction from ambien (which is strange as I’ve used it for years but not every day ).  Now I find if I just take it a few nights a week I’m doing ok.  I’m holding on my tapering dose of Mirtazapine of 1.65 mg for some months until I feel totally stabilized. I’m nervous to declare complete victory as it’s only been a few weeks that I’ve been feeling better but I’m hopeful that this improvement will continue. Thanks so much for asking. Do you have akathisia too?

Hi! I’m so glad you’re feeling better. Thanks great news and it always makes me feel better to hear of others improving. Yes I have agitation, mild to moderate akathisia, or very troublesome inner restlessness, however we want to categorize it. I don’t have to move but I’m extremely uncomfortable in my chest and armpits, sometimes abdomen. Really makes me just want to writhe and wiggle out of my skin. I’ve had it two times prior but it went away after a couple of weeks. This bout has gone on for a couple of months, but I had a week break about a week ago. But other symptoms became a little stronger during this time so perhaps I was just distracted by those. I don’t know. But it’s back this week. A little discouraging but it is what it is. 

2018- vyvanse 60mg to 0 over 6mo. 200mg Sertraline to 150mg. 2019- 150mg Sertraline to 100mg. Early 2021- 100mg to 87.5, two weeks later 87.5 to 75mg, 1.25-4mg bromazepam PRN. Mid 2021 - Feb 2022 taper 2.5%-5% 75mg to 50mg. March 2022 bromazepam for 3 weeks. May 9th 2022 started Propranolol, 10mg in the morning and 10mg in the evening. July 2022- off propranolol Oct 2022- off birth control. Dec 2022- updose sertraline 100mg, benztropine 1mg and Ativan 1mg. March 2023- stop benztropine. May 2023 - ativan taper finished. May 2023 - updose Sertraline to 125mg added propranolol 40mg added Ativan 1mg. July 5- sertraline 112.5mg propranolol 60mg, quick 2 week Ativan taper. Current meds: propranolol 60mg, sertraline 106.25mg, Ativan .025mg, B6, CoQ10, Magnesium Glycinate

Lauren, when it was at its worst every afternoon, I would take an epsom salt bath and watch netflix and wiggle my legs like crazy in the bath.  That seemed to help.  I’m so sorry you’re experiencing it.  People kept telling me time was the answer and of course they were right but it’s hard to believe it when you’re in the thick of it.  Have you found anything that helped yet?  How are you sleeping ?  I was only on 5 to 10 mg of propranolol too but found it gave me insomnia if I took it at night. I, so sorry you’re experiencing the Akathisia.  Do you think it’s from your taper?

6 minutes ago, Valerie1 said:

Lauren, when it was at its worst every afternoon, I would take an epsom salt bath and watch netflix and wiggle my legs like crazy in the bath.  That seemed to help.  I’m so sorry you’re experiencing it.  People kept telling me time was the answer and of course they were right but it’s hard to believe it when you’re in the thick of it.  Have you found anything that helped yet?  How are you sleeping ?  I was only on 5 to 10 mg of propranolol too but found it gave me insomnia if I took it at night. I, so sorry you’re experiencing the Akathisia.  Do you think it’s from your taper?

I’ve been taking epsom salt baths. Meditating helps in the moment as well. Luckily my sleep remains unaffected. For that I am so so sooooo grateful for. Yeah I think it’s from my taper and life stressors setting it off. Every time I got it in the past it was during a stressful moment. I think all my life changes are just catching up to me and further upsetting my CNS. 

• 4 months later...

Click on the link "Shep's Toolkit" doesn't show any list or such thing.

member21's drug history  Started on Prodep (fluoxetine) 20mg in mid 1998.  Increased to 40mg + lithium 1000mg. Within few days got Mainac. Later doses of Lithium + venlafaxine upto 2001. in 2001 put on Sodium valporate 1000mg + 3 x 37.5 venlafax. Tried CT quit a few times upto 2015. Each time back on Enc. chrono. + Venlafax - 75 to 112.5mg .

In 2018 switched Doctor - switched me from Venlafax to Paroxetine 25mg (perhaps to sell what she had). Had to return to my old doctor. Stayed on paroxetine till sep 19 (tapering it down to 12.5mg). Doctor CT stopped it due to mania (I had on my own reduced my stabalizer from 300mg to 200mg). After trying a trycyclic and 3-4 milder SSRIs and having a crash (and absence from work) in Jan 20 again put on Venlafax 112.5mg. Again started tapering by end of 2020.

upto Jun 21- encorate chrono 500 + Venlafaxine 37.5. July 21 enc. chro. red to 400mg. Aug21- enc chrono - 300mg. Sep 21 - enc. chrono -200(no change in venlafax. 37.5). 10Jan 22 - Encorate Chrono 200mg (held constant), venlafaxine 37.5 reduced to 3/4 tab, feb22 tried to reduce to 1/2 tab but had to inc to 3/4 within 2 days. 22Apr22 - 1/2 tab, 15may- back to 1/2+1/8. 5aug switched to capsule form (23.43mg), 29Aug- 22.5mg, 27Oct22-23.43 31oct22 25.31mg, 25Nov22-27.2mg, 20Jul23 -3.5%(26.25mg), 01Aug-3.5%(25.31mg), 15Aug23 -3.7%(24.375mg)

08Feb24- s.valproate 160mg, venlafax 24.4mg

21Mar24-valproate 152mg, 11Apr-144mg, 21Apr- 140mg

Omega 3 - from walnuts, flax seed. Vitamin B12 - 1500mcg/week

• Moderator Emeritus
17 minutes ago, member21 said:

Click on the link "Shep's Toolkit" doesn't show any list or such thing.

Please note you'll need to be signed into the website to view that because my story is in the benzo forum, which is members' only. 

Even while am logged in...the link points to page 24 of the benzo forum. Do not find any tools

member21's drug history  Started on Prodep (fluoxetine) 20mg in mid 1998.  Increased to 40mg + lithium 1000mg. Within few days got Mainac. Later doses of Lithium + venlafaxine upto 2001. in 2001 put on Sodium valporate 1000mg + 3 x 37.5 venlafax. Tried CT quit a few times upto 2015. Each time back on Enc. chrono. + Venlafax - 75 to 112.5mg .

In 2018 switched Doctor - switched me from Venlafax to Paroxetine 25mg (perhaps to sell what she had). Had to return to my old doctor. Stayed on paroxetine till sep 19 (tapering it down to 12.5mg). Doctor CT stopped it due to mania (I had on my own reduced my stabalizer from 300mg to 200mg). After trying a trycyclic and 3-4 milder SSRIs and having a crash (and absence from work) in Jan 20 again put on Venlafax 112.5mg. Again started tapering by end of 2020.

upto Jun 21- encorate chrono 500 + Venlafaxine 37.5. July 21 enc. chro. red to 400mg. Aug21- enc chrono - 300mg. Sep 21 - enc. chrono -200(no change in venlafax. 37.5). 10Jan 22 - Encorate Chrono 200mg (held constant), venlafaxine 37.5 reduced to 3/4 tab, feb22 tried to reduce to 1/2 tab but had to inc to 3/4 within 2 days. 22Apr22 - 1/2 tab, 15may- back to 1/2+1/8. 5aug switched to capsule form (23.43mg), 29Aug- 22.5mg, 27Oct22-23.43 31oct22 25.31mg, 25Nov22-27.2mg, 20Jul23 -3.5%(26.25mg), 01Aug-3.5%(25.31mg), 15Aug23 -3.7%(24.375mg)

08Feb24- s.valproate 160mg, venlafax 24.4mg

21Mar24-valproate 152mg, 11Apr-144mg, 21Apr- 140mg

Omega 3 - from walnuts, flax seed. Vitamin B12 - 1500mcg/week

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, member21 said:

Even while am logged in...the link points to page 24 of the benzo forum. Do not find any tools

This links works:

Shep’s Toolkit

And you're right - it is on page 24 of my thread. If you make it that far, scroll down to about the 8th post on that page. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Valerie!

just checking in to see how you’re doing. Hope all is well and that the akathisia has stayed away!

Lauren, that is so sweet of you to check on me. It means so much. And yes my akathisia has been much improved since the end of May.  I think it was a combination of some mistakes in my Mirtazapine tapering and taking too high a dose of zolpidem daily.  ( 5 mg of zolpidem is still considered a very low dose but I guess it was too much for me).  Anyway, when I stopped taking the ambien nightly and also reduced my dose when I did take it to 2.5 mg, the akathisia rapidly improved.  That’s not to say I haven’t experienced some wacky side effects from my Mirtazapine tapering. I’m doing a really slow taper - like 2% a month but with every taper it seems to be some different side effects that are quite crop up for a month or two and then rapidly disappear. These have included tinnitus, intense bladder pain, plantar fasciitis and now intense itching.  But with each new thing that crops up I remind myself that it’s much better than akathisia.  I’m going so slowly because I really don’t want to trigger the akathisia again by going too fast.  
Sorry - that was rather long winded.  Probably a longer answer than you were asking for.  How are you doing? How are your akathisia symptoms doing?

• 1 year later...

I realized I haven’t updated my post in a llong time. I was writing a lot when I had Akathisia for 3 months in 2022. At that time I started having tinnitus which I know realize is a very common withdrawal symptom.  I was having a hard time sleeping with the tinnitus so was taking sleep medicine every night and increased my Mirtazapine dose 15% to try to stop the tinnitus.  It did actually stop the tinnitus but I started having increased akathisia which I attributed to the Mirtazapine .  However, when I stopped taking nightly zolpidem the Akathisia quickly stopped.  So I think the Akathisia was actually mostly caused by the increased dose and frequency of the zolpidem (ambien) . Ultimately the Akathisia lasted just 3 months which felt like a lifetime but now seems a distant memory.   I’m sure I could have tapered quicker if I wasn’t so scared of triggering Akathisia or tinnitus again but I slowed things down to about 3 % a month and have been feeling quite normal for the most part.  Thanks for the support I’ve received here for my taper and I especially want to give hope to anyone who might be suffering from Akathisia with your taper 

Thanks for hope, glad you’re better!!! I’m in quite the situation and trying to find hope. 

Prior to March 2020 - no meds in 37yr life., no anxiety or depression.

mar’20- hospital with Covid like sym- panic attack- scared by reaction to ceftriaxone antibiotic - rash and tongue Never was covid, likely stomach bug

Apr ‘20- told to see psychiatrist after hospital(didn’t know one panic attack shouldn’t) .75mg K and 5mg Lexapro

May ‘20- switched to 25mg Sertrakine  mid June ‘20- .75-.625mg K by psych in weeek spiraled ended up in ER bc so sick; 10mg Trazodone for sleep, tapered 10mg over 2wks Jul ‘20

july’20- Sertrtrakine taper 25mg-18mh - aka terrible didnt know what was ;Dr said let’s change to 5mg Prozac

aug’20-tapered 5mg after taking for 2 weeks next 4 weeks, 1/4 pill a week.

Aug’20- Sept 5mg ambien tapered off over a month in Sept 2020. 12mg Seroquel given and immediately tapered over 3 weeks in Oct 20. Jan 21- 2 weeks 10mg  Elavil for sleep(didn’t know better), eye issues so CTd per Dr- 6wk Wd.

Mar’21- Started slow K taoer .635mg to .005mg-Aug’23 ;may’22-Aug 23-drop .01mg K liquid comp a month the last .16mg Jumped at .005mg-severe acute, akathisia and in dark closet for 8 wks bc eyes severe any light caused aka worse. all beta blockers once and caused worse, spec clonidine ,severe reaction. Severe SI and attempt - Psych hosoitaks invol Nov/Dec23- multiple meds one off, Lipitor for 3 wks- forced when refused, Depakote trial 10 days 250mg, ECt twice ugh with muscle relaxer ketamine and propofol- all meds what I didn’t want used against me and forced.

12/2/23- psych hosp 7.5mg Mirtazapine for severe aka but myoclonic jolts, eye issues and no benefit . 12/10- forced me 15mg 5 days, 7.5 since 12/15/23 .home 12/18. Tested covid positive 12/22/23. Negative 12/30. nightmare traumatized and hell on mirt not knowing what’s adverse effects(severe RLS, brain racing/swirling, eye flashing, jolts) after taking 

Severe neuro issues

100+ symptoms thru K taper and on