Not sure I'm posting this in the right place -- am following the logic that an academic dissertation falls in the research category. 

"Postpsychiatry's Challenge to the Chemical Treatment of Mental Distress" is psychologist Olga Runciman's 2013 master's thesis from the Department of Psychology at the University of Copenhagen.

https://psycovery.com/images/Postpsychiatrys-challenge-Olga-Runciman-2013.pdf

The link above is copied directly from psychologist Olga Runciman's professional website, as is the presentation below (I've made a few edits to the latter for clarity, fixed typo, etc.): 

Why Postpsychiatry

Postpsychiatry does not seek to find solutions within psychiatry. Instead they advocate we should be moving beyond psychiatry, encouraging an acceptance that not all human problems can be explained within an illness paradigm.

Postpsychiatry questions the paradigm of recovery which in psychiatry is often viewed from a perspective of a reduction or lessening of intensity of symptoms. Instead they promote supporting that it is the person herself who defines his recovery.

I am critical of the medical model and psychiatric medication aligning myself with critical and postpsychiatry. For an in-depth look at why, you are welcome to download my thesis which describes this.

Seven people labeled schizophrenic participated in qualitative interviews, giving voice to their experience of taking psychiatric medication. Three accept medication, two doubt its efficacy, and two are off medication completely. The voices of the interviewees introduce a world of context, meaning and understanding and show that madness is multifaceted and complex but understandable. The narratives of their medication experiences challenge the current psychiatric belief system.

Link to clinical psychologist and psychotherapist Olga Runciman's professional website, psycovery, where I found all of the above: https://psycovery.com/index.php/en/about-psycovery

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Runciman, 2013. Postpsychiatry's Challenge to the Chemical Treatment of Mental Distress

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy