Kati: withdrawals symptoms after Escitalopram AND Vortioxetine …

Kati

Hello everyone. It is amazing to read some of these posts and educational material …! A am so happy to have found you!

I so wish i knew all of this earlier… but still happy to Learn of this topic. 

Story in short: My husband is suffering from several withdrawals after he was on Escitalopram for about a year - then switch immediately to Vortioxetine for 2 or so months - then stopped with only 2 weeks of tampering. This is all under the guidance of a dr -  thanks to the ‘wonderfully’ under developed field of Phsychiatry within Uae 😕 

He ones a wonderful special man - is someone else …. i do not recognize. In the worse possible way. 

I am sad and suffering seeing him this way and yet he dose not believe me that it is due to withdrawals because the decline started fee week after the stop and went exponentially worse up until now, which i believe it’s 4-5 months later.

My question is what to do now? 

It’s to late into re-staring on a low dose. It will be a waste of the time he already suffered (that is of course if i will be successful in convincing him that i’m right).

He is getting worse and worse - if that’s even possible :( 

If he will be convinced that this is due to the withdrawal- i wonder what is the smart plan for him now?

Edited by Shep
removed italics
  • Kati changed the title to withdrawals symptoms after Escitalopram AND Vortioxetine …
  • Shep changed the title to Kati: withdrawals symptoms after Escitalopram AND Vortioxetine …
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants, @Kati

You may want to give your husband some information.  This is a great pamphlet from the Royal College of Psychiatrists:

Stopping antidepressants

On 7/15/2022 at 8:02 PM, Kati said:

I am sad and suffering seeing him this way and yet he dose not believe me that it is due to withdrawals because the decline started fee week after the stop and went exponentially worse up until now, which i believe it’s 4-5 months later.

He may want to consider a reinstatement of a tiny amount in order to taper off.  I'm not sure which drug to recommend the reinstatement for - we would need to know more about his drug history and his experiences on both of the drugs. It would help to be able to communicate directly with him. But for now, here is some information for you and your husband to read over: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please add a signature and note that it's for your husband's drug history: 

How to Summarize Your Drug History in Your Signature

A direct link to your signature is here:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

You may want to print out the pamphlet Stopping antidepressants and have a discussion. It's always best to talk directly to the person dealing with withdrawal than going through a third party, so please invite him to start an account here. 

Thank you for being an advocate for your husband and joining us.