amydearamy: looking for success stories on overcoming panic attacks

amydearamy

My history is one of chronic back problems I am fused at l3 l4 l5 and because of adjacent segment disease caused by the fusion, the disks above and below the fusion are shot.  I have had pain numbness, limitations in what I can do.  I have suffered for almost 20 years.  I was on opioids, but came off of them 4 months ago.  I had no problem slow tapering.  Being off these drugs has left me with mental clarity that my back problems were not my only issue.  My psychiatrist had put me on a drug cocktail that left me lying in bed emotionless, lethargic, and absolutely numb, I also found I was having memory issues not horrible but noticeable. I was having akethesia sp?, trouble swallowing which was discounted to reflux ( which I am sure was partially true).  However, with the taper my akethesia is disappearing and the swallowing is no longer an issue.  At any rate I am tapering off zyprexa which was presribed off label for panic attacks which actually worked, but again left me numb unable to feel or cry. I know my journey is going to be long as I also take 25 mg seroquel to help sleep, also 1 mg klonipin for sleep and an SSRI.  I am following the suggestions here to do one at a time and to do it slowly.  My biggest fear is the return of panic attacks which are totally disabling, I have a young son to care for.  I also fear not sleeping and being able to care for him and keep up with social obligations.  Regardless of my fears I know I have to take this path forward to regain my feelings, my creativity, my memory. I am looking for success stories of how people have learned to deal with panic attacks.  I think the sleep will probably resolve the longer my body is off the drugs.  I am starting to see a therapist and trying to do daily exercise for my back, as well as take walks, and just get out of the house more.  Any insight from someone who has also suffered these horrific attacks and overcame or learned to cope would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Klonipin 1 mg have been in for probably 7 years

zyprexa 2.5 mg was up to 7.5 have probably on 7 years tapered down over the last few months

metfromin 500 mg x2

l-methlfolate

zocor80 mg

seroquel 25 mg was added for sleep was added about a month ago when I was trying to get off the klonipin

celexa 40 mg

levothyroxine 75 mg

previously on methadone for pain management I forget the dosage but it was low quit approx. 5 months ago

• ChessieCat changed the title to amydearamy: looking for success stories on overcoming panic attacks
  • Administrator

Welcome, @amydearamy

What times o'clock do you take each of your drugs, with their dosage? It's unusual for someone to be taking two antipsychotics. Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

16 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @amydearamy

What times o'clock do you take each of your drugs, with their dosage? It's unusual for someone to be taking two antipsychotics. Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

I take the zyprexa 2.5 mg at night and the 25 mg of seroquel at night.  I need to stop the seroquel as it is causing weight gain and contributing more to back problems. Yes I think it is unusual too.  I was put on the seroquel for sleep.

zyprexa 2.5 mg was up to 7.5 have probably on 7 years tapered down over the last few months

metfromin 500 mg x2

l-methlfolate

zocor80 mg

seroquel 25 mg was added for sleep was added about a month ago when I was trying to get off the klonipin

celexa 40 mg

levothyroxine 75 mg

previously on methadone for pain management I forget the dosage but it was low quit approx. 5 months ago

• Moderator Emeritus

Please create your drug signature.  This is different from the information you provided when you joined SA.

The drug signature appears below every post you make and allows the staff to see your drug history easily and not have to read back through your posts to get the information:

20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Who prescribed 25mg Seroquel for sleep when you were already taking 2.5mg Zyprexa? And Klonopin as well, is that correct?

On 8/4/2022 at 7:24 AM, amydearamy said:

My psychiatrist had put me on a drug cocktail that left me lying in bed emotionless, lethargic, and absolutely numb, I also found I was having memory issues not horrible but noticeable.

Given your cocktail, this is not at all surprising.

Please note that when you take a bunch of "brakes" such as Klonopin, Zyprexa, Seroquel, and methadone, your nervous system may rebel against it and react with a paradoxical reaction that looks like panic attacks. Klonopin is particularly prone to this. Did you ever question the competence of your psychiatrist?

See Tips for tapering off quetiapine (Seroquel) and let us known if you have any questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 8/8/2022 at 7:29 PM, Altostrata said:

Who prescribed 25mg Seroquel for sleep when you were already taking 2.5mg Zyprexa? And Klonopin as well, is that correct?

Given your cocktail, this is not at all surprising.

Please note that when you take a bunch of "brakes" such as Klonopin, Zyprexa, Seroquel, and methadone, your nervous system may rebel against it and react with a paradoxical reaction that looks like panic attacks. Klonopin is particularly prone to this. Did you ever question the competence of your psychiatrist?

See Tips for tapering off quetiapine (Seroquel) and let us known if you have any questions.

Yes, this is absolutely 100% correct. I have been through three different psychiatric groups that have closed in my area. Then one more where the psychiatrist changed my medicine twice and then said I had tried everything and that she couldn’t help me. I seriously can’t remember how I was referred to Dr. Hill but yes I feel way over medicated. I was on 7.5 mg of zyprexa. When I told him about the akethesia and trouble swallowing he really didn’t even comment. I told him I wanted to come off all antipsychotics and he said just stop. I asked don’t people have withdrawals from doing that and he said no. Upon my insistence we have tapered down to 2.5 but this was mostly my doing and telling him I had done so. I said I wanted to slow taper off the remaining 2.5 and he said take for ten days then do one every other day for 20 days then stop. I didn’t listen to him on this based on all that I have read. I need him to prescribe the meds so that I myself can wean off correctly and slowly. I am not trying to have a mental breakdown. He is absolutely useless with tapering. My goal as I stated is not to be on any antipsychotics I feel much better in the lower dose I am on. I want to get rid of the zyprexa, then seroquel then klonipin. I am on the fence about staying in an SSRI. Yes I question my Psychiatrist, but am running out of options in my area. They are all booked, not accepting new patients, don’t take my insurance, or have seriously closed down. If you can recommend one in my area I am all in. I live in Chesapeake, VA Thanks!!!

metfromin 500 mg x2

l-methlfolate

zocor80 mg

celexa 40 mg

levothyroxine 75 mg

• Administrator

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist. As you can see, none of your psychiatrists were rocket scientists.

Do you have a sympathetic GP? What you need is a liquid form of Zyprexa. You can get this by prescription from a compounding pharmacy, or you can make it yourself from the wafers.

In your signature, please add the month and year you started each drug. What times o'clock do you take each of your drugs, with their dosage? Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

17 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Any doctor can prescribe these drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist. As you can see, none of your psychiatrists were rocket scientists.

Do you have a sympathetic GP? What you need is a liquid form of Zyprexa. You can get this by prescription from a compounding pharmacy, or you can make it yourself from the wafers.

In your signature, please add the month and year you started each drug. What times o'clock do you take each of your drugs, with their dosage? Please put ALL your drugs in this Interactions Checker and post the report or a link to it in this topic.

metfromin 500 mg x2

l-methlfolate

zocor80 mg

celexa 40 mg

levothyroxine 75 mg

Thanks for the reply and advice.

metfromin 500 mg x2

l-methlfolate

zocor80 mg

celexa 40 mg

levothyroxine 75 mg