Laxmommy13: need advice - am I experiencing withdrawal?

Laxmommy13

Looking for some advice as to what is going on with me. Wondering if I’m still experiencing withdrawal effects

Hi I am a 45 year old woman who took a 3month course of doxycycline for hormonal acne. Stopped antibiotics February 2022 during the course of my antibiotics I received my 3covid booster in January 2022. I remember feeling as though something was off in my body Heart palpitations, more anxiety and depression. I have never had any of those feelings prior to the meds. 

Come April I started having bone pain and body aches terrible and anxiety got much worse. I went to my GP and he thought I should go on lexapro I really didn’t want to but he said it should help. About 10days of being in med i felt awful extremely agitated and I couldn’t sit still. Called GP back and he prescribed klonopin. It would calm me down for a short bit but symptoms would come right back. I could not relax or sit still. My family suggested I go to a facility where they help with mental health. Long story short I feel as though they drugged me up even more and put me on Depakote 750mg along with Gabapentin 900mg. I felt horrible like I was on another planet.

I came home and finally got in with a physc office. I told them I wanted to come off meds we tapered pretty quick but while tapering added prozac 20mg. I felt extremely racy and after a short while and I was having suicidal thoughts. This was so scary because before all this I have never been on any meds other than an ibuprofen for a headache or antibiotic. I am a mom of 3 and to have these thoughts were so devastating. After being of prozac for 7 weeks they started to taper me off and suggested trying wellbutrin. I only stated on that for 10days and I decided to come off everything and take nothing. I currently have been off all meds for 13week. Last pill was august 21st.

During the course of all this I also developed muscle twitches throughout my body that have not gone away. I do feel a lot better in alot of ways but I still don’t feel right. The twitches play head games with me. I’ve seen 2 neurologists have had a brain mri, back mri, Emg and extensive bloodwork which all is normal. I guess I’m just wondering if I could still be going through withdrawals. 

Im hoping to one day feel like my old self again and get my life back to normal. Thank you so much for any info! 

Edited by ChessieCat
added title and spacing
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Laxmommy13: need advice - am I experiencing withdrawal?
  • Administrator

Welcome, @Laxmommy13

It appears that you had a known adverse reaction to antibiotics followed by a series of adverse reactions to psychiatric drugs.

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last month?

Many people find these to be helpful:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

You might try a low dose of one at a time to see what it does for you.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Maybe the antibiotics disregulated your microbiome, which resulted in depression? Serotonin largely comes from the guts as far as I understand. Maybe try eating some keffir, yoghurt, etc to fix this original issue. Then the withdrawal… You weren’t on it for long so hopefully it will be fine shortly. 

April 2020: 10mg Escitalopram 

July 2020: fast tapper tried to quit. Failed. 
september 2020: Trintellix 20mg. 
october 2021: fast taper off Trintellix (1 week). Reinstated 10mg in January 2022 for 3 weeks, failed, kindling effect so I quit rapidly, now off meds since then.