Altostrata

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Rossho
On 5/4/2016 at 1:28 AM, Altostrata said:

You can dilute the liquid drug more so you can measure small amounts with the same syringe.

I will be diluting my liquid risperdal with water in that way.

Sebas
On 4/10/2013 at 11:08 AM, Rhiannon said:

I would add, start with smaller cuts at first, too.

And keep a journal of your dosages and your symptoms (ranking them on a numerical scale, like 1 to 5).

I know we are all so impatient to get off these drugs--I started my tapers WAY too fast, and paid for it!--it's hard to take it slow at the start. But it is SO worth it, because you can learn your own body's patterns of withdrawal and recovery, and you can adjust your taper to your own needs.

Once you have a sense of how your body's going to react to cuts, and how the withdrawal process unfolds for you over time, and how long you need to hold before you can cut again, you can adjust up the speed of your taper until you find the pace that gives you the optimal balance between tapering progress and minimizing withdrawal symptoms. And once you learn how your body reacts to tapering you can fine-tune your taper according to the demands of your life.

For example, if you have a special occasion coming up that you want to be feeling good for, you will know how long you need to hold your taper beforehand. Or, if you know you have a nice low-key stress-free time coming up and you want to push your taper a bit harder, you know how much you can get away with and how much lead time you can expect before the symptoms ramp up.

It's really worth taking the time to get to know your body's responses right up front, if you can summon the patience. Way better than doing what I did at first, pushing it too hard and then crashing and burning. Big ouch.

Great contribution 😉

Sebas

I think one of the reasons some people have to go for micro-tapering, besides personal circumstances and CNS, has to be the drug period.

The longer the nerve system is "put to sleap" by a drug, the slower a taper might be.

The 5-10% rule must, in my opinion, be seen as a general principle and is also very dependent of the phase of taper one is currently in.

And also very related to circumstances in life (work, removal, stress level, holiday, relationship etc.).

Going from 20 mg to 18 mg was "no big deal" but nowadays at 11,4 mg i can hardly imagine going down with 10%.

So i'm happy to have read about the #MT (micro tapering).

Just do what feels right for you.

Thanks @Altostrata and others for creating and feeding the topic.

Altostrata

We haven't seen a need for a micro-taper to be drug-specific. It's very individual.

You're welcome, Sebas.

Sebas

@Altostrata sorry i meant the drug time (I thought period was the right word)

Altostrata

I think you mean half-life. We haven't seen a connection between half-life and a need for micro-tapering.

Sebas

I meant how long has someone been using the drug ;)

Altostrata
On 11/13/2018 at 8:27 AM, Sebas said:

I meant how long has someone been using the drug ;)

Maybe, but a lot of our long-time drug users can tolerate a 10% decrease per month. I believe the determining factor is nervous system sensitivity, not any drug characteristic.