Punarbhava

Brain zaps

JuliaMarie

Hi,I have these also when I wake up! It is so weird, every morning, as soon as I am waking. I am 8 weeks out too! They have gotten less and less everyday. Have yours gotten milder?? Its so funny, I actually use their presence and severity to moniter my wd progress!! I do this because they are the first symptom I had,so I think as long as they are still there, Im still withdrawing, and as long as they are getting better, I must be getting better!! Obviiusly I dont know if this is a fact, but it helps me stay positive!!! The first time I discontinued an Ssri(paxil, one year ago, after being on it for one and a half years), I quit cold turkey. I had bad brain zaps all day for about a month, with lessing severity as time went by. And they went away all together after two months! I hope that encourages you!! I went back on meds,celexa, because I didnt know about wd, and thougt I needed them for anxiety. This time I tapered, and the brain zaps have been much easier, mainly at waking, just like you!! I am so sorry your Dr. dosnt beleive you. I hate to say this about an intelligent person who made it through med school, but he dosent know what he is talking about!!! My Dr. told me they are taught wd is two weeks, but he beleives me about my symptoms, and told me that a lot of his patients have trouble with ssri, esspecially certain ones. My pharmisist and my therapist HATE them!!! If your main symptoms are brain zaps and eye pressure, I think you are doung awrsome! Hang in there, you are doing great!!!also sorry about your hair loss from the drug!!that had to be hard. I hope you feel better soon!!!!

MostlyWater

They are harmless. Believe me, you'll come to learn that brainzaps are the least of your symptoms to worry about. The zaps are simply a signal that your nervous system has been messed with. The drugs decalibrated your nervous system and now it needs to calibrate back to the way nature intended. Be patient and understand that your body is working on healing itself. The more stressed you become by it, the harder it will be for your body to naturally fix things. 

quitpaxil2015

The zaps are a common symptom of SSRI withdrawal.

Brain zaps probably are related to a central nervous system symptom called Lhermitte's sign. See Wiwanitkit V.

Citation at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18633745

Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2008 Jul-Sep;20(3):175.

Shock-like sensations associated with duloxetine discontinuation.

Pitchot W, Ansseau M.

Citation at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18480703

J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2008 Jun;28(3):359-60.

Emergence of electric shock-like sensations on escitalopram discontinuation.

Prakash O, Dhar V.

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8889917

J Clin Psychopharmacol. 1996 Oct;16(5):411-2.

Lhermitte's sign in paroxetine withdrawal.

Reeves RR, Pinkofsky HB.

Citation at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7726327

Am J Psychiatry. 1995 May;152(5):810.

Shock-like sensations after discontinuation of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

Frost L, Lal S.

Citation at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=ellison%20buzz

J Clin Psychiatry. 1994 Dec;55(12):544-5.

SSRI withdrawal buzz.

Ellison JM.

----------

If anyone has any of the above documents in electronic form, please e-mail them to me and I will upload them.

This is very helpful since brain zaps are incredibly disturbing...

btdt

I had them go then come back... some things bring them on again like a drug reaction or illness I had body zaps too... and something quite like it still where I shake with it... when I use salbutimal... I shake like mad so I don't use it ...mostly. I have this sort of viberating in my one are and leg when I got to reach for something or my leg is in a certain position... for some reason they remind me of brain body zaps tho they may be of some other origin.  So far no doctor has explained to me what they are mostly they are thought to be some nervous system issue but what exactly has not been found. 

NJJ

I have been suffering from those dreadful brainzaps, pretty much constant and those horrible electric jolt sensation through my body.  I thought I would try taking fish oil capsules as I heard it can help restore brain function . After about a week I noticed a big improvement.  They havnt gone completely away but I have certainly noticed a difference.  I thought I might share as it may help others who experience these symptoms.

mitch

hi im mitch  i have been off zoloft for 10 months  was on 25mg for over 10 years  i have bad brain zaps electric head 24/7 im going crazy   what do i do     im in hell 

Bellisimo

My head sensations got lots better after one year off.

I understand you feel you going crazy, i felt i was going crazy 24/7.. and was in so much panic all the time for a very long time :( But it do gets better , i know that atleast.

stan

a french testimony: a man, after 15 years off has still mild brain zap once 2 months or 5 months, hopefully very mild

long termer call it residuals

eiledon20

Is brain zap that feeling like you are being sent a small voltage in your head when dozing off to sleep and when waking up?

Dont know how long this will last. Just taking fish oil and b-complex for nerve spmasm.

Will vitamin c help?

Laura1981

Did anyone ever capture a brain zap on EEG? My clueless doctor wants me to do an EEG. He doesn't believe me about withdrawal and wants to "find out" what causes all the zaps and twitches. 

My brain zaps are so bad that sometimes my arms and legs twitch with them. It would be nice to finally have something measurable to work with.

jjnz

Laura: I had an ecg at the emergency department of a hospital ( had no idea what brainzaps were or that they were due to discontinuation) ( not did the doctors at the hospital) but I did have several brainzaps whilst the ecg recording was taking place ; nothing. My psychiatrist also told me I was probably just a bit stressed. LOL!

My brainzaps never effected the body, just a shock type sensation, a pulse effecting my ears and often making me a little dizzy/sick.

You can bring them on a little by moving your eyes left and right.

I had them when I missed a dose and upon withdrawal I had them for about 12 weeks.

Don't panic , Eventually they go away.

On it's own it sounds a bit like you have myoclonus or hypnic jerks but in combination with a headzap.

I've been off ad's for about 3 years now,  just had a recent relapse of them ( for one day) thanks to a very bad flu and I think the cough medicine/expectorant they gave me (Bisolvon:  bromhexine hydrochloride) but I can't find any reports of people talking about cough medicine causing brain zaps, I stopped taking it and 12 hours later they were gone.

If it helps : this is a research paper on headzaps from NZ

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1920818/732495233/name/dizziness.pdf

If your doctor does not believe you ask him what he has searched for.

Brain zaps / head zaps / ssri's, his ignorance does not mean you are imagining things, it means he shouldn't be prescribing drugs he clearly knows nothing about.

Hang in there my friend, things get better

Laura1981

Thanks JJNZ, that's what I thought: No brain zaps on the EEG. 

I have the brain zaps and other weird brain sensations that I would sum up as "electric head" for months now 24/7. They never stop. Sometimes they get more intense sometimes less. They are so disruptive that I often need to lay down and breathe for an hour or so until they pass. It's nuts. I'm quite desperate to stop them. 

Symptoms are: Zapping, crunching, feeling like "cramps" in my brain, zaps that make my limbs twitch.  

I'm starting to suspect that they are intensified by eating carbohydrates. I'm testing a low carb diet at the moment. I'll report back on the success. 

Interesting that your head zaps came back with bromhexine. Maybe it irritated your nervous system. 

Regarding my doctor: He's a lost cause. He doesn't look up anything. He won't even read the leaflet of the medication, but he's nice and he writes me sick certs, so I'm staying with him at the moment. He's not the one who prescribed the AD but still, I think he just doesn't want to believe his lovely, trusted medication can render a patient disabled for months. 

JanCarol

EEG - Electroencephalogram measures brain waves

ECG - measures cardio activity.  

Not the same thing.  Having a brain zap while getting an ECG just shows that it doesn't affect your heart (and likely, by deduction, your spinal chord)

An EEG of brain zaps would be fascinating.

After reading here, I've decided that my brain zaps - which are occasional, and I've had them since starting the serotonin & tricyclic drugs in the 80' - are EHS - Exploding Head Syndrome.

The SA discussion of this is here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2133-exploding-head-syndrome-or-ssri-withdrawal/

The reason I believe that mine are ESH, is because they are always accompanied by noise.  Sometimes they are triggered by external noise, sometimes the noise is in my head like a gong or a crash that lights up my whole brain.  They also seem to have the most occurrence when i'm drifting off to sleep.

Some people have brain zaps while they are walking around in the daytime, WHAM!  Knowing this makes me feel lucky - it happens to me in a darkened room in a comfortable bed.  

They are non intrusive, though sometimes it takes awhile to settle from them (and get to sleep).  I do think they are connected to what serotonin based drugs did to my already serotonin sensitized brain (recreational drugs).

JanCarol

Zlicks.

When I was tired and jet lagged, and trying to sleep, I was getting zap-clicks.

As I exhaled, the sound of my heart beat would make my head go zap! but with a click.  Zlicks.  When I inhaled, it was fine.  But naturally, I had to exhale again, and they would return.

Bizarre phenomenon.  Milder than the exploding head syndrome (ESH), and not horribly intrusive, but still uncomfortable.

They have not returned since that night.  (yes, this was 4 weeks after a gigantic lithium taper)

Renaldas
Brain zaps and pupil size correlation

Due to a non linear dose-response curve of some (most) antidepressants (I am on Cymbalta now), decreasing the dosage even a very small amount may have tremendous effect on symptoms. I am a very experienced brain zapper, I had them for 3-5 years intermittently when I was even on high dose paroxetine, and I have them intermittently now, tapering duloxetine. I noticed one interesting fact, when i have brain zaps, my pupils are severely constricted (in the opposition to the very enlarged, when you have serotonin syndrome). I think pupil size may show serotonin levels in your brain. I want to ask you, "brainzappers", have you noticed the same? Can you look at your pupils when you are having brain zaps and immediately after this, when your zaps stopped after you increased your SSRI/SNRI? 

Edited by Petunia
added title from merged topic

Vonnegutjunky

following

Petunia

Welcome Renaldas,

I joined your topic with our existing 'brain zaps' topic to keep all the collected information and wisdom in one place. This is an interesting observation, I wonder if others experience the same.

Please would you start a topic for yourself in our   Introductions and updates  forum so we can get to know you and offer support with your taper off Cymbalta.

oskcajga

I believe that my brain zaps are related to dysfunctional sensory neurons (peripheral nervous system), not the central nervous system and brain itself.

I think the term "trigeminal nerve and cranial nerve zaps" would be more appropriate.

Maybe I'm wrong - but if the brain cannot feel any sensation, then how is it able to feel a "zap" - that makes no sense. 

nickmanning

Has anybody ever heard of a supplement called Zaps-Away? Apparently, it's supposed to be a brain zaps cure.

brassmonkey

It is a blend of rather common "alternative medicine" ingredients being sold by one manufacturer directly for the SSRI WD market.  There has been no testing to determine it's effectiveness. They don't even offer testimonials.  Two of the ingredients we already recommend, others really should not be used by someone with a sensitized CNS, while some have not proven usefulness at all.  I'm sorry to say it but the alternative medical scammers have started to tap into a large and growing market of very vulnerable people.

nickmanning

It is a blend of rather common "alternative medicine" ingredients being sold by one manufacturer directly for the SSRI WD market.  There has been no testing to determine it's effectiveness. They don't even offer testimonials.  Two of the ingredients we already recommend, others really should not be used by someone with a sensitized CNS, while some have not proven usefulness at all.  I'm sorry to say it but the alternative medical scammers have started to tap into a large and growing market of very vulnerable people.

Thank you for your response. I was hoping for something more positive because I have a bottle arriving anyday now lol. It's worth a shot! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

nickmanning

Well here's my update about the Zaps-Away caps as promised. I took it for around 2 weeks and can definitely say that it helped lessen the severity of my brain zaps,especially at night. Of course everybody's chemical makeup is different but I would personally recommend it. Especially if you've been struggling and tried everything else. Good luck guys!

btdt

Here is a pharmacist reporting on brain zaps in her blog http://theblondepharmacist.com/2007/11/17/brain-shivers-brain-zaps-brain-shocks/ Note this post had 414 comments from when it was posted in late 2007 to April 2012.

Brain Shivers… Brain Zaps… Brain Shocks…

Posted on November 17, 2007 // 415 Comments

I do not know if many in the medical community are aware of this term that is thrown out there for such offenders as venlafaxine (Effexor), duloxetine (Cymbalta), paroxetine (Paxil), fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), fluvoxamine (Luvox), citalopram (Celexa), and escitalopram (Lexapro), but it is a very real phenomenon.

Unfortunately, though many in the medical community have not had to rely on any of these meds in their own personal lives, I had a 2-3 year stint with venlafaxine from 2002-03. Basically, I presented with the inability to sleep due to anxiety of some personal issues (which we all have from time to time), and did not want a controlled substance. I tried paroxetine first and absolutely despised the drug. I quit cold turkey. Very smart for a pharmacist, right? (You can’t just stop cold turkey and expect to not endure some uncomfortable sensory disturbances.)

I found venlafaxine, at 75 mg extended release, to be a very good drug for its purpose of 9 to 12 months. However, what I didn’t expect was that weaning from the drug would be so uncomfortable. 75 mg in itself is not even a moderate dose, falling more into the lower dose category. I’ve seen higher doses much more than the lower doses.

To explain what I felt, I will do my best to try to break down into words the feelings. Initially, there was a sinking feeling in my brain. If you’ve ever been to the Grand Canyon or a very tall building and looked down, there is a falling feeling that your brain sometimes throws at you though you are not falling at all. That feeling would happen for very short bursts, 2-3 seconds, enough to disrupt my thoughts, my work, and my being. I would just think, “What was that?” If I tapered over the recommended taper schedule (usually a week at a time step down, but keep in mind there’s only one strength lower than the 75 mg XR – the 37.5 mg XR. Then where do I go? Literally it didn’t matter. The big divide between the 75 mg and the 37.5 mg was enough to cause the “shivers” in my brain – a disorientation, falling, weird, and uncomfortable feeling.

“Brain zaps” are said to defy description for whomever has not experienced them, but the most common themes are of a sudden “jolt,” likened to an electric shock, apparently occurring or originating within the brain itself, with associated disorientation for a few seconds. The phenomenon is most often reported as a brief, wave-like electrical pulse that quickly travels across the surface of (or through) the brain. Some people experience these “waves” through the rest of their body, but the sensation dissipates quickly. They are sometimes accompanied by brief tinnitus and vertigo like feelings. Immediately following this shock is a light-headedness that may last for up to ten seconds. The sensation has also be described by many as a flashbulb going off inside the head or brain. Moving one’s eyes from side to side quickly while open has also been known to trigger these zaps and sometimes causing them to come in rapid succession. It is thought to be a form of neuro-epileptiform activity.

As withdrawal time increases, the frequency of the shocks decreases. At their peak, brain zaps have been associated with severe headaches. They may last for a period of several weeks after the last dose and usually resolve completely within a month or two. However, anecdotal reports of “zaps” during a protracted withdrawal are known to last a year or longer.

My remedy was to open the capsule and to count the tiny beads and literally make capsules with less and less tapering over a 6 week period rather than the usual 2 – 3 weeks at this dose. It did eliminate the feeling, but it definitely helped. One could go as far as asking the physician for a 37.5 mg immediate release tablet and maybe breaking it up into pieces and tapering at the very end that way. Any way you dice it, venlafaxine was a pain and taught me right away a bigger lesson in remembering the side effects than any package insert ever could.

A follow-up post http://theblondepharmacist.com/2011/01/03/shivers-zaps-and-shocks-part-two/

Shivers, Zaps, and Shocks… Part Two

Posted on January 3, 2011 // 5 Comments

I’ve had over 200 comments on a post I had three years ago. Back then, I was super frustrated with the side effect from withdrawing from commonly prescribed SSRIs, etc. Has much changed in tapering down these meds for the patients I am in contact with? No. But, I have been able to share the experience with others and in my own case have found that the shocks resolved on their own. I have never felt that way again, but at the same time you won’t see me jumping up and down for joy for venlafaxine or duloxetine. I have no respect for the drugs and when filling the medications will actually have some four letter words pass through my thoughts.

I would like to hear from those that commented all those years back. Are the zaps gone? Have you seen it with any other medication?

The site is gone.

btdt

Has anybody ever heard of a supplement called Zaps-Away? Apparently, it's supposed to be a brain zaps cure.

I had to look.

http://zaps-away.com/

9 Powerful Ingredients

Bacopa Monnieri, Rhodiola Rosea, Ginkgo Biloba, Gotu Kola, Magnesium, L-Theanine, Taurine, Agmatine, N-Acetyl Cysteine

No Prescription Needed

Over the counter. Safe and effective, without the need to see a doctor or get a prescription.

Combats Neurotoxicity

Targets specific brain functions which were thrown off and fights to restore your brain's natural chemical balance.

Helps With Many Medications

Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Antipsychotics, and more!

Have you recently quit an Antidepressant, Benzodiazepine, or an Antipsychotic?

Do you feel brief but repeated electric shock sensations or shivers in your head?

If the answer is yes, then what you’re experiencing are commonly referred to as “Brain Zaps”.

For many years now there have been a great number of people on medication who have complained of feeling electrical shock-like sensations in their heads. These shocks are usually reported during discontinuation or dose reduction of antidepressant medications, particularly those involving serotonin, such as SSRIs and SNRIs. But they can also be experienced after quitting other medications including benzodiazepines and antipsychotics. Yet strangely there is no mention of these side effects anywhere in official pharmaceutical documentation. As a result of the lack of medical terminology, these common occurences have been coined “Brain Zaps” by people throughout the online community. Because of the reluctance by pharmaceutical companies to acknowledge the existance of brain zaps, many physicians are completely unaware of these adverse side effects. This often leaves people to fend for themselves.

Most people describe their symptoms as a feeling of brief but repeated electrical currents which are uncontrollably zapping their brains. These brain zaps are often accompanied by disorientation, ringing in the ears (tinnitus), dizziness (vertigo), and lightheadedness. It goes without saying that these sensations can be extremely scary and uncomfortable. Most people don’t even know what’s going on until they start to look for answers and subsequently stumble upon countless others who are complaining of the very same thing in online forums. Folks want to get rid of these debilitaing brain zaps and are in real need of help.

Zaps-Away™ has been specifically designed to help alleviate the discomfort caused by these shocks and reduce the suffering you’re going through.

ingredients.png

Enough for 2 wks in that bottle but if it worked.. lets see $25 ....50 a month for 5 years..3 grand way cheaper than meds I was hoping to find the amounts used of each ingredient it may be posted top to bottom with he larger amount being the first posted. 

Some of these things I have tried some I have never heard of magnesium of course and taurine both I have used... Gingko not sure what kind now and a hundred other supplements not listed on this bottle... I am going to take a look at the other supplements out of curiosity.

btdt

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20850955

Bacopa monnieri modulates endogenous cytoplasmic and mitochondrial oxidative markers in prepubertal mice brain.

If I could find a fresh plant I would eat some. 

btdt

Well here's my update about the Zaps-Away caps as promised. I took it for around 2 weeks and can definitely say that it helped lessen the severity of my brain zaps,especially at night. Of course everybody's chemical makeup is different but I would personally recommend it. Especially if you've been struggling and tried everything else. Good luck guys!

Any side effects ... did the bottle last 2wks taken as directed?

jjnz

The main thing here is serotonin.

Eating wallnuts, bananas and vit b6 on an empty stomach might be worth a try.

The zaps occur when serotonin falls ( or perhaps changes)

Mine went away after 16 weeks from withdrawal but I had the come back temporarily on 2 occasions, once with a bad flu (perhaps the cough medicine I was using , it contained bromhexine hydrochloride)

The other time was after I quit smoking (less dopamine = more serotonin generally)

I occasionally get a whole lot of tiny zaps at very low amplitude just as I'm waking up in the morning, but these are nothing like the big headzaps I had on ssri withdrawal.

There does seem to be some variance in the way these are experienced, mine were milliseconds, not seconds and excasserbated by eye movements. The first time I got them I saw my optometrist as the psychologist said there was no way they were caused by the medication ! Lol

jjnz

Forgot to say, the theanine in that product will be what's delivering the serotonin. The NAC will stimulate dopamine but as far as I know it's arguable how much.

Good discussion here.

I might be wrong about this but if your brain is suffering becase of a so called imbalance then it might be better to let it facilitate those changes on its own, rather than supplements that might mask the problem.

So little is known.

btdt

I would have to be ready to give up before I would take them all at the same time I have been burned by supplements too many times... but should I be ready to give up it may be a good choice to try.  I would not be taking it for brain zaps exactly but for the dizzy bits and brain death... I feel I have. I would fool with serotonin and dopamine last on the list as they have earned my undying respect.  

However this one Bacopa Monnieri, I may give a try on its own... 

any I would try would be alone so I would know what the effect was. 

btdt

Ginko I tried in way of cold effex a cold years ago and it felt good I was in hard wd then scared to death I took it one day was too scared to try it again can't recall if there was a fallout or not as it was too many years ago. 

I had brain zaps for years and still get them if I am sick or challenged physically.  I wonder why they linger for me it does not seem right feels like I have missed some bit of healing along the way. Maybe it is the cold turkey paying dividends still hard to say. 

I tried to look up the company who makes the zap supplement to see about the other...but can't find Deanlus or Deanius..( can't make out the word my eyes are not working).Labs online  

I think they should have offered the supplement in parts so we could try one at a time they are obviously not aware of the hypersensitivity we ( should say some or most of us ) have to supplements.  

I would bet if all the supplements were gathered from all the AD wd site users for the past 10 years we could sink a ship.. with what we have in cupboards and have thrown in the garbage.   We need to have separate doses of each supplement and add as we go if we can. 

btdt

One interesting thing I found when I went back to learn about the maker of this supplement 

look how the classify the drugs... the last ones don't have title.. 

What can it help with?
Zaps-Away can help with many different medications which have been found to cause brain zaps during withdrawal/withdrawing from, cold turkey quitting/stopping abruptly, reducing dosage/dose reduction, or tapering/weaning, including but not limited to:

Antidepressants

SSRIs:

Citalopram (Celexa)
Escitalopram (Lexapro)
Fluoxetine (Prozac)
Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
Paroxetine (Paxil)
Sertraline (Zoloft)

SNRIs:

Venlafaxine (Effexor, Effexor XR)
Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq)
Duloxetine (Cymbalta)
Milnacipran (Savella)
Levomilnacipran (Fetzima)

TCAs:

Clomipramine (Anafranil)
Imipramine (Tofranil)
Amitriptyline (Elavil)
Doxepin (Sinequan)

MAOIs:

Selegiline (Deprenyl, Emsam)
Phenelzine (Nardil)
Tranylcypromine (Parnate)

Benzodiazepines

Alprazolam (Xanax)
Diazepam (Valium)
Clonazepam (Klonopin)
Lorazepam (Ativan)
Temazepam (Restoril)

Antipsychotics

Aripiprazole (Abilify)
Quetiapine (Seroquel)
Lurasidone (Latuda)
Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
Risperidone (Risperdal)
Clozapine (Clozaril)
Asenapine (Saphris)
Paliperidone (Invega)
Iloperidone (Fanapt)
Ziprasidone (Geodon)

Other Drugs

Tramadol (Ultram, Ultracet, Tramal)
Mirtazapine (Remeron)
Vortioxetine (Brintellix)
Buspirone (Buspar)
Dextromethorphan (DXM)
MDMA (Ecstasy, Molly)

What’s included?
Fresh Sealed Bottle w/ 70 Veggie Capsules
Brain Zaps Survival Guide (sent digitally)

I just learned I could turn a section red the red section... listed as other drugs.. I wonder why... Remeron is what Muddles was on. Any ideas?

The other interesting bit is when I was first looking for brain zaps not sure what term I used the only place I could find what I was experiencing was at a Ecstasy withdrawal thread on an illegal drug website that was before I found pp in 2008.   I could find nothing to suggest Effexor tolerance was the cause. 

Toulouse

I'm not sure if these are brain zaps or not but I feel a strange feeling in my brain. Not sure if this is attributed to anxiety or a totally different thing I need to go to the er for. I had my last dose of Paxil about 9 months ago.

Toulouse

I looked for a similar topic but could not find one.

SquirrellyGirl

It is likely another bout of healing, a wave, Toulouse.  Are you feeling anxious otherwise?

Waves can present in different ways, sometimes physical, sometimes psychological.  At nine months out, you are in the time frame for another wave (common at 9 months out).  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1388-head-noise-and-other-symptoms-in-the-head/

Just be the Watcher and be curious about how this will evolve.  It may be very short-lived.

SG