☼ Phil's Lexapro withdrawal

Phil~

Your posts always seem to resonate w me --DP/DR and dissociation in particular are disturbing because I feel 'out of touch' and paranoid ~

Just wanted to say hi and that I relate ~

Barb

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil

• Altostrata

• Punarbhava

• Barbarannamated

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Hi, Phil -- how are you doing now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

sorry I have been so late in updating this thread. I've been trying to forget about withdrawal for the past several months and have had so many stressors I have been unable to get much done.

I'm not doing very well. I get stressed very easily, even by small things, I have the depersonalization still, I'm unable to cope in crowds and social areas, my sleep isn't too good.

On days when I have no external stressors or worries, I seem to "manage" and get by. But the rest of the time everything is just a mad rush of stress that I want to end. (or depression).

I tried to get Lamictal from a psychiatrist recently but she didnt want to prescribe it until I had tried something called Pregablin instead (I think because of the danger of a rash from Lamictal).

I don't really want to take the pregablin, the side effects don't sound good from what I've read. So I might go back to her and say "it didn't work, can I try Lamictal now".

Anyway, hope everyone else is well :)

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

Pregabalin is Lyrica. I've taken it. At low doses, it can work well for sleep and anxiety to some extent.

I was taking 9mg at night (with melatonin) and had no problems with it. Usual starting dose is 25mg. You can easily make a solution with water.

It is a GABA-ergic but not a benzo.

If you want to follow my experience, it's very important to take very low doses of these medications, including lamotrigine. The rash is a danger at higher doses titrated too quickly upward. Very low doses of either pregabalin or lamotrigine bear little risk, and of course one titrates them carefully.

When I talk about my experience, I hope everyone notes the very, very low doses and how carefully they are titrated. When I say I started at some fractional dose, that's exactly what I mean. Don't get all macho and leap for higher, riskier doses.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

Corrected the above. I was taking 9mg Lyrica at night for sleep for a couple of years, with a little over 1mg Lamictal.

How to make a Lyrica solution here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2381-tips-for-tapering-off-lyrica-pregabalin/

• 1 month later...

Hi Alto, and sorry for the late update.

That's interesting that you take Lyrica; I had assumed it would automatically be bad in w/d because of the problems GABA drugs cause. I've also read a few bad reports about it online causing things like stomach bloating etc that put me off. But it sounds like smaller doses might not be as bad, from your experience.

I'm due to see a psychiatrist in a few weeks and intending to ask about the Lamictal (I've been trying to get the stuff for nearly a whole year now!) - I'm hoping it will help a little to take some of the edge off of things for me.

Aside from this, I have been doing somewhat better lately after starting the GAPS diet, and trying to eat better in general, although I'm now dealing with blood sugar issues (hypoglycemia) - not sure if it's caused by stress or what. It was always a problem pre-GAPS, I guess I just never paid attention to it but I'm noticing it a lot more now.

• Administrator

That's fairly good news, Phil. I was just thinking of you and wondering how you were doing!

Aww thanks Alto :) Forgot to ask - do you know what dosages Lamictal comes in? Is there a liquid, or what is the lowest dosage of tablet?

• Administrator

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Phil! What's new?

Hey Alto :)

Not much new really..I'm still waiting to see the psych for Lamictal, as she didn't turn up at the last appointment (LOL). But overall I'm doing a bit better and learning to manage my stresses. Visited my family for a week which was nice as I had less to worry about, and they could look after me.

Hope you're doing ok?

• Administrator

I'm doing okay, Phil. Currently tapering off Lamictal, very slowly. Now at .13mg, down from 5.2mg. I'm making drops of .01mg every few weeks.

Do you feel it's helped you, overall?

I'm still unsure of whether I want to try it myself, but I could sure do with some kind of help for stress.

• Administrator

Yes, it has helped me.

Are you feeling an abnormal amount of stress?

Definitely...I sometimes describe it as an "extended breakdown". Constant stress, every day, there's always something wrong, something new to be stressed about. I'm trying to deal with it all, but it seems to never end.

• Administrator

How is your meditation, stress reduction, CBT, etc. going?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alto, sorry for the late reply. Things have been crazy with me for the last week or two. I've had tons of stress and hypoglycemia issues.

I don't really like CBT (I've practised it in the past though) but I use other techniques like "de-centering" to reduce anxiety in some situations and it really helps. I'm seeing a counsellor too.

I think for me it's a lack of human contact that is holding me back, and that is because I have lifelong social phobia/avoidant personality problems.

Not quite sure how to tackle those on top of withdrawal.

I really should start practicing mindfulness more. I did it in the past and found it very helpful.

In other news, the psychiatrist I saw didn't want to prescribe Lamictal, since I'm not diagnosed bipolar and she would need to give good justification for prescribing it.

I'm thinking of trying the Pregablin instead.

Hey Phil. Your posts never fail to resonate with me (not sure if that's good news or bad for you. :o. )

Can you explain what you didn't like about CBT? I've discussed my own negative response to it a few times on this forum. How did mindfulness help you? I see mindfulness as related to CBT (not saying that's correct!), so curious about your comment.

I haven't had problems with social anxiety though I'm far from a social butterfly. However, In withdrawal, it's been FAR more difficult to interact.

Always good to hear from you.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Phil, why exactly do you want treatment with either pregabalin or lamotrigine?

What are your symptoms now?

Hey Phil. Your posts never fail to resonate with me (not sure if that's good news or bad for you. :o. )

Can you explain what you didn't like about CBT? I've discussed my own negative response to it a few times on this forum. How did mindfulness help you? I see mindfulness as related to CBT (not saying that's correct!), so curious about your comment.

I haven't had problems with social anxiety though I'm far from a social butterfly. However, In withdrawal, it's been FAR more difficult to interact.

Always good to hear from you.

Hey Barb..

I don't like CBT because I felt it made me get "stuck in my head" more, and worry more, as I tried to look for and come up with answers to my negative thoughts. It was like, the more attention I paid to my negative thoughts, the more negative thoughts I had. Something like that anyway :)

I prefer things like mindfulness or de-centering where you kind of watch your thoughts but don't get too immersed in them. But for me I have to couple it with focusing on the external world a lot more, so I don't get lost in the thoughts.

I hope that makes sone kind of sense haha.

Anyway hope you're doing a bit better than me, at least! I don't know what the hell I'm doing right now..

Phil, why exactly do you want treatment with either pregabalin or lamotrigine?

What are your symptoms now?

My symptoms are things like being stressed constantly, concentration problems, balance and co-ordination problems, lots of anxiety. It's hard to be more specific as there's so much going on.

I was hoping the Lamotrigine or Pregablin may help take the edge off the anxiety, but after some reading on Pregablin I don't think I will bother, it doesn't sound worth it.

The main thing I'm focusing on now is trying to get out and about more because I hate being stuck at home so often. And the hypoglycemia is just making everything difficult, but there seems to be no answer to that one as I've tried different approaches.

I got tested for thyroid at the doctors but they didn't pick anything up, and fasting blood sugar was fine too.

Phil,

Yes! Your explanation above is perfect! Thank you.

• Administrator

Pregabalin may take the edge off the anxiety; it's approved for this indication in the European Union.

Taken regularly, it incurs physical dependency like any other neuro-active drug (as Schuyler has found). Lowest effective dose would be the harm-reduction route.

Are your symptoms unusually intense or more like how you might have felt before taking psych meds?

• 4 months later...

Hi guys, I havent updated for a while now because I was kind of avoiding anything to do with withdrawal for the last half year or so, I've also been stuck focusing on other health issues and trying to get back on track.

Can't believe I've been off Lexapro for over a whole year now! Woo! I'm definitely much better now than when I first came off it, and this time last year. Cutting out gluten really helped me do some emotional healing and helped the depression.

I seem to have other issues now though, mainly digestive. I got some tests recently and I'm low in Vitamin D and have a low white blood cell count. I also had the low wbc last year. So focusing on improving that is my goal right now but I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of my withdrawal and health issues are connected.

I'm hopeful though. Things are slowly moving in the right direction. I'm mainly trying to get more active and deal with depression and anxiety and looking after my health for the time being.

I hope everyone else is doing well, thankyou to everyone who supported me through withdrawal!

• Administrator

So good to hear you're doing so much better, Phil.

Can you tell us more about how your symptoms went away?

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Phil, how are you doing now?

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!