Aleta - New and need assurance

Aleta

I'm new to this forum, but in need of encouragement.

I'm a 51 year old woman.

Brief History.

Zoloft for 8 years (cant remember dosage)

Moved to Effexor for 6 years (cant remember dosage)

Then 6 years Pristiq 50 mg

I did my own taper. Which I'm now, fearfully, learning was too fast.

Completely off of Pristiq as of June 7 2012

Now 41/2 months out I'm experiencing symptoms I didn't experience earlier.

Last night, as a lay awake during the early morning hours,I shifted to my left side and my head

started to feel funny. When I opened my eyes the room was moving quickly from left to right, not literally of course, but visually, thats what it looked like. It didn't last long but it scared me much. I've noticed I've been feeling a little dizzy at times recently, but nothing like this. I've had many textbook w/d symptoms but nothing like this.

Is this normal? Will this pass? Please say yes. Coming off these meds have been very scary.

Thanks for any help,

Aleta

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm a 51 year old woman.

Completely off of Pristiq as of June 7 2012

Now 41/2 months out I'm experiencing symptoms I didn't experience earlier.

Last night, as a lay awake during the early morning hours,I shifted to my left side and my head

started to feel funny. When I opened my eyes the room was moving quickly from left to right, not literally of course, but visually, thats what it looked like. It didn't last long but it scared me much. I've noticed I've been feeling a little dizzy at times recently, but nothing like this. I've had many textbook w/d symptoms but nothing like this.

Is this normal? Will this pass? Please say yes. Coming off these meds have been very scary.

Thanks for any help,

Aleta

Hi Aleta.. I'm 65 yrs young (tomorrow!), and your age group is pretty common on this site as the older we get the more common are withdrawal issues. What you experience is 'normal' withdrawal and will pass. Don't get on your case about tapering too fast off Pristiq.. the company did not make it possible to do a reasonable taper and complaints have been lodged surrounding this issue.

Others will be chiming in with more info.. but for now, welcome to the forum.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Welcome, Aleta, to our community.

How did you go off Pristiq? Did you have withdrawal symptoms as you reduced dosage? What kinds of symptoms have you had since you've been off completely?

In our Symptoms section, we have suggestions for coping with withdrawal symptoms. People often do well with omega-3 (fish oil), magnesium, and melatonin for sleep. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-herbs-treatments/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the welcome.

How I cut down went something like this.

I cut the tablet and reduced by quarters over time. It didn't seem to give me problems, but then I didn't crush it I cut it.

I started on 50 mg.

Started taper in early Feb and cut down to 37.5 mg

Late Feb another cut down to 25 mg

Stayed here for awhile taking care of my Father who got sick.

Late May tapered to 12.5 mg

Early June zero.

I added l-tryptophan as I reduced and that seemed to help with w/d until I tapered completely off then my body started to have the most problems. Insomnia, anxiety, weird sensations in the head, weird sensations through my nerves, muscle fatigue, weird/scary dreams, crying spells, muscle tremors...

I've been seeing a Naturopathic Dr since mid August. He's been doing acupuncture and he's been trying to balance my Hormones with Chinese Herbs ( I was having lots of hot flashes after stopping Pristiq) but those herbs just seem to be too stimulating and seem to have a nasty kick back effect. I'm thinking that my system just can't handle them right now. Right now my body is sensitive to things it was not sensitive to before. I'm having to be very careful.

Earlier this month I was feeling much better, but I have seemed to back track these past 2 weeks. Not sure why.

I tried another Herb blend last Thursday given to my by Naturopath and it gave me side effects (seem to up the w/d symptoms and add new ones) and now I'm wondering if that didn't help and set me back. And I did have a more stressful week recently and perhaps that didn't help. Who knows? That's the heart break. More questions than answers I'm afraid.

I'll check out the link.

Thanks for the help.

Aleta

• Administrator

I would NOT take those herbs if I were you. It's obvious they're causing problems and probably delaying your healing.

Naturopathic and alternative practitioners have no more understanding of withdrawal syndrome than any other type of doctor. Reject all treatments that make you feel worse. Don't listen to practitioners who say you have to suffer while the treatment takes hold.

From this point, you'll have to be patient and help yourself heal as much as possible. It sounds like you're hypersensitive to a lot of things -- this is common. Cut down on your exposure to whatever seems to make you feel worse. Be very, very careful with supplements and herbs.

Are you light-sensitive?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Aleta,

Welcome! I'm in my late 40's

I've been seeing a Naturopathic Dr since mid August. He's been doing acupuncture and he's been trying to balance my Hormones with Chinese Herbs ( I was having lots of hot flashes after stopping Pristiq) but those herbs just seem to be too stimulating and seem to have a nasty kick back effect. I'm thinking that my system just can't handle them right now. Right now my body is sensitive to things it was not sensitive to before. I'm having to be very careful.

I tried another Herb blend last Thursday given to my by Naturopath and it gave me side effects (seem to up the w/d symptoms and add new ones) and now I'm wondering if that didn't help and set me back.

Aleta

I'm seeing an integrative psychiatrist who insisted I should be taking SAMe. I've been having Side effects from the SAMe and when I recently tried to split my dose and take 1/2 in morning 1/2 in afternoon I realized SAMe comes with it's own withdrawal.

I had tried SAMe briefly when I was doing the W/D on my own, didn't like the SE and figured if I no longer bought into the theory that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance that antidepressants fix, why should I be taking SAMe? I wish I had listened to my gut about the SAMe.

I'm still new here and have barely begun to read the wealth of info available but I think you hit the nail on the head with realizing the herbs were too stimulating for someone going through AD withdrawal.

15+ years on various ADs and combos. Spent 3 yrs tapering (off & on ) off 225mg Effexor venlafaxine) XR & Remeron (mirtazapine). Finished tapering Oct 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aleta, I am the member who has withdrawal symptoms from Sam-e. Just wanted to say hello. It absolutely has its own withdrawal problems. How much were you taking? Are you still taking it? I was on 400mg for 3 mo and quit cold turkey and do not recommend doing so. What symptoms did you get when you split the dose? Hope you are doing okay.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Aleta. 56 here and have to confirm that the older I got the more the meds had a negative effect on me. It could also just be that we have been on them in general, longer.

You are not alone. Welcome.

Oh. And I too am very, very sensitive to small changes. My only advice...try to keep as many things the same in your life while you try to sort this all out.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.