akbreezo Lexapro WIthdrawl Symptoms?

akbreezo

Hi all,

I have been on some form of antidepressants for over 10 years. For the past two years, I have been taking 10mg of lexapro, but have recently decided to get myself off once and for all.

I talked to my doctor, who proposed a month of 5 mg, followed by a month of 5mg every other day and then a revisit to see how things are going. I am just entered the 5 mg every other day phase, having made it through one month of 5 mg.

I feel great mentally. I am not feeling anxious or depressed and am sleeping well. However, I have been experiencing some tightness and discomfort in my chest and a bit of difficulty breathing. It's nothing severe, but it is annoying and, as a long distance runner, is hampering my training. Could this be a side effect of lexapro withdrawal?

Many thanks!!!

• Administrator

Welcome, akbreezo. I moved your first post here as your Intro and Updates topic, where you can track your progress and ask questions about your particular situation.

Yes, those sound like withdrawal symptoms. Skipping doses to taper is a very ill-advised way to go off. It's second only to cold turkey for triggering withdrawal symptoms.

Since you've done well in going down to 5mg, I strongly suggest taking 5mg every day for at least a month, to let your nervous system stabilize.

Then, since you've already demonstrated you can get withdrawal symptoms, plan on the 10% taper, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Ask your doctor for a prescription for liquid Lexapro so you can measure small amounts to taper. If I were you, I would not take any more tapering advice from this doctor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you for the prompt reply and for moving my post. :)

I've already been on 5 mg for about a month. Do you suggest sticking with the 5 mg until I can get the liquid form, rather than skipping doses? It sounds like it...

In the mean time, any suggestions on how to alleviate my withdrawl symptoms? As I said in the original post, they are hampering my running and I'm racing a marathon next week. Yikes!

Thanks again!

I just got to thinking and wonder if I may be better of resuming the full 10 mg of Lexapro until after the marathon when I would "care less" about the withdrawl symptoms.

If so, are there issues with resuming 10 mg that I should be concerned with.

Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi akbreza

Welcome to the forums. Yes we would recommend going back to at least 5 every day. It's the alternating dose/no dose that's the big problem

Given the progress you have made, I'd be inclined to just take the 5 every day rather than reinstating entirely and see how you go. Did you have any withdrawal symptoms before you started to drop a dose every second day?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

The initial 5mg drop is way more than we would normally recommend. As alto indicated we usually recommend a 10 percent decrease. In your case that would have meant dropping from 10 to 9 in the first instance, waiting 4 weeks and then down to 9.1 using liquid lexapro

When people have tapered to fast we normally say upside a little bit and hold on that dose until you stabalise. You might still experience withdrawal at a higher dose and would just have to wait it out

But your question seems more one of priorities, what is more important to you - getting off the drugs or training for the marathon. If its the latter then you might be better of reinstating your original dose and then tapering properly after your race. That's difficult for me to say because I place great importance on getting of the drugs, that's why I am here

Sometimes reinstatement doesn't resolve withdrawal symptoms but that's usually if it's been a long time since you reduced. I wouldn't expect any additional complications going back up but these are powerful drugs and unpredictable

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

dalsaan,

I agree...getting off the drugs is a big priority for me. But the race is next Sunday, so I guess I would only delay myself a week or two. I want to do BOTH things right...the race and the drug taper. Running is one of the reason I think I can get off the drugs in the first place!

I will talk to my doctor on monday but she is the one that recommend the current protocol so I'm not sure how helpful that will be.

I'm pretty disappointed seeing as I am feeling really good otherwise.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ask her for liquid and then go up a little bit maybe to 7 or 8. See if that helps your system

• Moderator Emeritus

Good luck with the race and your Dr

And yes, keep us posted

Dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Please follow Alto's advice. I tapered off of 10 mg. Lexapro over three and a half months beginning in September 2011, and went through a miserable withdrawal that is still not finished. I'm much, much better now, and I'm beginning to have windows of genuine contentment and creativity like my pre-Lexapro self, but I'm not 100% yet.

My first cut was 5 mg. and I didn't notice withdrawal symptoms until I cut to 2.5 mg, but it's possible they started before then. I also got the "every other day and quit" advice, and it was the worst thing I could have done.

Definitely stay at 5 mg. every day until you can get the liquid. I would even advise staying at 5 mg. for another month even if you can get the liquid right away. Tapering too fast just has a way of catching up with a sensitive person. If you're okay at 5 mg., well and good, but if the withdrawal symptoms continue a small updose may be in order.

SSRI antidepressants cause structural changes in the brain. The idea of a slow, slow taper, is to give the brain time to normalize rather than yank the chemical crutch away abruptly, which will make your brain and hormonal systems flounder and do some very painful, harmful things. The slower you go, the better off you'll be.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Hi all,

I have been on some form of antidepressants for over 10 years. For the past two years, I have been taking 10mg of lexapro, but have recently decided to get myself off once and for all.

I talked to my doctor, who proposed a month of 5 mg, followed by a month of 5mg every other day and then a revisit to see how things are going. I am just entered the 5 mg every other day phase, having made it through one month of 5 mg.

I feel great mentally. I am not feeling anxious or depressed and am sleeping well. However, I have been experiencing some tightness and discomfort in my chest and a bit of difficulty breathing. It's nothing severe, but it is annoying and, as a long distance runner, is hampering my training. Could this be a side effect of lexapro withdrawal?

Many thanks!!!

Hello and welcome...

I did the taper from hell with Lexapro and shortness of breath was not a symptom. I had all of the symptoms that you can imagine, but not that. You said you feel fine both mentally and physically which is wonderful. I do not recall shortness of breath as being a WD symptom. WD is rough, but not every symptom we experience is from WD.

Usually when people are sensitive to a WD/taper they do not feel well. You do. 10 mgs. is a low dose, which is another good thing in your favor.

You are in a good space from what you said. This is my opinion....you have been doing well where you are at. I wouldn't increase the Lexapro. Sometimes it doesn't work.

Why not continue on 5mgs. daily and then drop by 1/2, stay there and then drop again.

Running and physical exercise help to offset anxiety/depression/fatigue and a host of other symtpoms. You must be in good shape which another plus for you....

Good luck in the Marathon.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

ak, if I were you, I'd give 5mg every day a chance rather than going all the way back to 10mg.

The marathon may be important to you but your nervous system is more important. Be flexible about your plans and expectations.

Once you stabilize at 5mg (or, as Dalsaan said, a little higher if necessary), plan on 10% per month decreases, calculated on the last dosage. Better to be safe than sorry for a very long time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.