What is the sleep cycle?

Altostrata

• Administrator

I've found glycine to be very helpful with the wake-ups.

Lately, rubbing on a bit of magnesium oil seems to send me into deep sleep.

The weird dreams will go away as your sleep heals. You do NOT want to reduce REM sleep -- that's the phase where your brain is doing a tune-up. It's a good thing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got both today. First I will probably try glycine. And if I react in a good way to taurine...maybe I will even mix them before going to bed. (Or take glycine when I wake up during the night). Will see how it goes I can't wait to see. I'll tell you the results soon ;)

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

• 4 weeks later...

Magnesium oil helps, as does Valerian. Magnesium , preferably as oil or salts in a bath.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 9 months later...

What brand of magnesium oil do you buy? Do you have a link?

AD History
Zoloft (Sertraline) 4/07 - 7/09, Celexa (Citalopram) 7/09 - 10/09 , Zoloft (Sertraline) 11/09 - 4/10 , Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) 5/10 - 4/15 , Effexor (venlafaxine) 5/15 (2 week taper)

Taper 
05/2015 - Effexor (venlafaxine) 75mg  7 days, Effexor (venlafaxine) 37.5mg 7 days.

Reinstatement  Effexor (venlafaxine)
05/21/2016 37.5mg 06/01/2016 18.75mg

• 1 month later...

Yes which Mag oil blend helps with sleep and how much to use and how to use it?

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

I have been using this brand.  http://www.ancient-minerals.com/products/magnesium-oil/ .

It is a high quality brand.  Just spray a little on arms or legs, and rub in. It can sting a little the first couple of times you use it but that's normal and after a few uses, lessens. It is a way of absorbing magnesium directly. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

This is an outside source.  Catnapt and I were having a chat about sleep and brain waves, and she found this excellent article about Sleep Architecture:

https://www.helpguide.org/harvard/biology-of-sleep-circadian-rhythms-sleep-stages.htm

The only place where I disagree is it says that people over 65 stop going to Delta - and I know from personal experience that the brain can be changed and trained.

My goal is to be able to reach Delta for as long as possible, but I'm not 65 yet, so I can't yet report back how that is going.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 years later...

Knowing that when a person goes to sleep, that person doesn't fall asleep immediately, it takes certain time between the moment the person lays in ben and the moment the person falls asleep. And people that are in the midst of tapering psychiatric drugs, probably in their cases it is more time between the moment of laying in bed and the moment of falling asleep. For people in the midst of tapering psych drugs, what is the time needed from the moment the person lies in bed till the moment of waking up? I ask this because I don't know how much time passes between when I go to bed and when I fall asleep.

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• 7 months later...

Wow, this is a very good post. This is exactly what's happening with me. I keep waking up multiple times during my sleep and sometimes I get 8 hours of sleep but if I don't go back for that last cycle, which I assume is REM sleep, it feels like I haven't slept at all.

So far, I've heard Arginine, Magnesium and Taurine might help us get back to sleep. Can someone please explain what form to take these supplements and how and when? Right before bed? The magnesium citrate+lactate I have says it's good for energy. Doesn't that mean I should avoid taking it before bed time? What about arginine and taurine?

Thanks!

2012 Lexapro 25mg

2016-2017 started tapering by taking half-pill at irregular times
2017 Cortisol spikes started happening (while on the drug), eg: would wake up and wouldn't be able go back to sleep

2017 Q4 - Quit lexapro altogether

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, qupuf said:

Magnesium

I don't know about the other supplements, but I've read that magnesium glycinate is the best form for sleep.  I take it before bed and also when I wake up in the middle of the night.  Start with a low dosage.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have been sleeping in fragments...only an hour to an hour and a half at a time. I read through all of the posts here. Does sleep slowly restore as our body heals?

LZie, Zoloft 25 mg, 3/31/20-4/6/20

• 1 month later...

@Altostrata

I read here the positive effects of glycine over sleep? How can I get the glycine? Is that come in tablet form??

March 2013 -April 2013 citalopram 5 mg/Clonazepam 0.5 mg/ Beta blockers

April 2013- June 2013 I was not taking any meds, feeling worst

June 2013 -Dec 2013 Fluxetine 20 mg

Dec 2013 Feb 2014 i was not taking meds

Feb 2014 - Jan 2016 - on and off the paroxitine 12.5 as I was not aware these were harmful drugs

As I left the drugs 3 year back so I don't remeber the exact date but tried to recall it as a best match

Jan2016- till now not taking any drugs

Syntoms- Quality sleep, brain feel tired but improving If I compare from past years

• Administrator

Use search in this forum to see discussions of glycine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

By reading the sleep cycle , i can say my cycles are totally distturbed. I get only rem sleep in the night .

March 2013 -April 2013 citalopram 5 mg/Clonazepam 0.5 mg/ Beta blockers

April 2013- June 2013 I was not taking any meds, feeling worst

June 2013 -Dec 2013 Fluxetine 20 mg

Dec 2013 Feb 2014 i was not taking meds

Feb 2014 - Jan 2016 - on and off the paroxitine 12.5 as I was not aware these were harmful drugs

As I left the drugs 3 year back so I don't remeber the exact date but tried to recall it as a best match

Jan2016- till now not taking any drugs

Syntoms- Quality sleep, brain feel tired but improving If I compare from past years

• 4 months later...

A question for those who have recovered .. 

How did your REM sleep recover after you were off? And when were you able to sleep through the early morning (2-5am)?  And did you have to continue taking supplements or did it recover on its own?

If we are stuck with this, what were your strategies to cope? 

If I get up at 2-3, I try to get back to sleep by focusing on breathing, chanting etc. On the days when the body or mind is particularly active, I get up and get the body moving with yoga and I can lie down and meditate, which can get me some rest if not sleep.

It appears that supplements can be a hit or miss, and I have only tried magnesium glycinate (which helped muscle pain but not with sleep), and am on ashwagandha for a month (has definitely helped sleep onset and reduced the morning edginess), but the 2-6am window has been challenging. 

I am now at 23 months off a C/T withdrawal of mirtazapine 3.75mg.

My sleep has been all over the place over the last two years, and my GI, tachycardia and temperature sensitivity was adding to it..

As my non sleep symptoms stabilized, I am noticing this month that I am getting about 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep and the earlier I get to bed (before 10), I can get some deep sleep. 

But I am unable to return to sleep once I am up as my body and mind are fully awake, and if I lie in bed instead of getting on with the day (at 2am it's rather early), I go into these wierd sleep/wake state where I feel I am awake, I can experience all the body sensations, and get a lot of thoughts even as I try to focus on breathing.. on other days, I alternate between drifting into sleep and I decide it's enough around 5am. Some days I get anxious/fearful while other days the mind is absolutely calm.

The curious thing was that I was getting much better sleep earlier this year at the 1 year mark, and even until Sept, I would be able to get some uninterrupted REM sleep in the mornings. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

• Administrator

If you tend to awaken about 3 a.m., using a sleep mask to block out the change of light in the earlier morning may enable you to sleep longer in the morning.

8 hours ago, tsranga said:

The curious thing was that I was getting much better sleep earlier this year at the 1 year mark, and even until Sept, I would be able to get some uninterrupted REM sleep in the mornings. 

This sounds like it's related to the seasonal changes in sunrise-sunset times. Also, getting some natural light during the day will help reset your internal clock for nighttime sleep.

41 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

If you tend to awaken about 3 a.m., using a sleep mask to block out the change of light in the earlier morning may enable you to sleep longer in the morning.

This sounds like it's related to the seasonal changes in sunrise-sunset times. Also, getting some natural light during the day will help reset your internal clock for nighttime sleep.

Thanks.   From what I have experienced,  waking is not related to the change of light ( I can sleep through natural or artificial light) and I get enough natural light during the day ( I walk twice a day for an hour each time). I have a strong suspicion that it's due to drug induced autonomic dysfunction, as I can never tell the flavour of the day / night as far as symptoms go.  Season change does seem to disrupt things quite a bit.   My HR pretty much tracks to the diurnal cortisol curve, and the evenings are the calmest periods for me, except for random events (extreme temp shifts, pressure changes, GI flare-ups etc.).

I have HR spikes on awakening (more than 30bps), my blood flow  is off some nights (feet go hot/cold, upper body goes hot, gut starts acting up when I lie down etc., sometimes I get chills when the BP goes high.  

This last week, heart rate has been pretty good, but I haven't checked my BP when I wake up, but these fluctuations also can be pretty random.

Also, the early awakening isn't consistent - its pretty random, and I haven't been able to notice any pattern in 2 years, except that I can get a single uninterrupted block of 3-4 hours, irrespective of when I fall asleep. After that, it's a lottery - I am usually too wired to sleep once I wake up, especially if its after 3AM. If I get up and get some yoga in, it burns off the cortisol/adrenaline, and I can then get a quick nap. If I have  a late night, like sleeping 1 or 2AM, I can through this period and wake up by 5-6AM. 

I have been trying to get to bed consistently before 10PM, but the 2-5AM window is a tough one.  I have gotten REM sleep through the night at different times, although a lot of my awakenings have been in an REM sleep phase.  Usually, the wakeups would be due to GI issues, but my gut has been doing pretty quiet of late (maybe its still very sensitive at that 4 hour mark even though the symptoms have reduced quite a bit).  

Chronic IBS since 1990

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

Here is a comparison on a good night and a typical night.. notice the frequent awakenings and the increased HR from today..   I woke up after 3:45 min on dec 5th as well, but my HR was still on the dip, so I could get back to sleep..

Screenshot_20201223-180306.png

Screenshot_20201223-180021.png

Screenshot_20201223-180202.png

Screenshot_20201223-175745.png

Chronic IBS since 1990

Just now I had a couple of hours of burping accompanied by chills, and based on past experience checked my BP. Sure enough, my BP was 134/93.   I have seen this pattern (excessive burping, chills, high BP), and I had it a couple of times in Nov (2nd and 25th), and now twice in Dec ( 4th and 23rd).  There appear to no other triggers, so the usual suspect seems to autonomic dysfunction. 

Interestingly, my main IBS symptom was constant burping, and that has pretty much resolved except for flares like tonight, which appears to occur 2-3 days in a month. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

• 5 months later...

Has anyone experienced your sleep cycle completely flipped. My day is my night and my night is my day. Been having this problem most of the time since withdrawals started. I have tried to stay up all night to the following night to hopefully get tired enough to fall asleep at a normal time. I still end up staying awake till the middle of the night on the second night. Seems impossible to correct. Any info would be appreciated. 

1993 - 2003 (Prozac 40mg)

2003 – 2/1/17 (Paxil 40mg)

4/10/18 – Present (Paxil 50mg)

1993 - Present (Klonopin 2mg) 

1996 - Present (Levothyroxine 100mcg)

2/1/17 - Quit (Paxil 40mg) Cold Turkey

2/1/17 – 10/1/17 (No Paxil) Acute withdrawal

10/1/17 – Reinstated (Paxil 40mg)

4/10/18 – Up dosed to (Paxil 50mg) 

4/10/18 - To present. Still in protracted withdrawals 

Supplements - Multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin d3, Magnesium 

• 2 weeks later...

Question if this withdrawal is due to the ssri suppressing rem. Wouldn't re starting the ssri give normal sleep? Not the best option but I need sleep

???? To  early April 2021: citalopram 20mg. This was a about 12+years

April 2021: stopped taking citalopram 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

6/16/2021 reinstatement of citalopram at 10mg

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

• 1 year later...

And to answer my own question my sleep did fully come back only for me to lose it again..... I hate myself right now. According to my sleep tracker this week it has been almost completely light sleep. Though I have had some super vivid dreams occasionally so I go a day with REM and several days without 

6/10/2021 to 6/11/2021: started taking buspirone for anxiety . Got ringing in the ears and insomnia so I stopped

8/12/2021: 4.5ml/9mg citalopram 10/11/21 4ml 11/15/21 3.5ml 12/28/2021: 3ml/6mg 1/28/2022 2.5ml/5mg  2mL/4mg 3/6/2022 1.5ml/3mg 4/12/2022  5/31/2022 1ml/2mg  7/31/2022 .5ml/1mg

9/3/2022: .4ml/.8mg citalopram. after a few days got some severe withdrawal so  .45ml/.9mg 9/8/2022 10/6/2022 1mg again .45ml/.9mg 12/9/2022

• 8 months later...

My REM sleep was completely destroyed seven  years prior to starting any medication in the 1970's.  Now that I am done with poison pills I lay down in bed for meditation and relaxing from 10 pm - 5 am. I am up every 1.5-2hrs to void, them back to a relaxation state. At no time do I enter REM sleep. L

-Xanax 2mg 1982-2023  -Paxil 40mg 2005-2023  -Deseryl 150mg 2010-2023  Seroquel 600mg 2005-2016  -Lithium 2014-2016  Halcion 2025-2010 Prozac 1993-2005 Triavil 1982-1993  

It's weird and painful indeed. I am back to sleeping ok  again and can really tell the difference. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy