artemis Pristiq be gone.....

artemis

I have just found your site this week...... after much battling with doctors depression and anxiety..... & a year on Pristiq .... I feel I need to be rid of these drugs from my system.

I have no motivation, a hard time leaving the house, no desire to take part in life & this drug was supposed to help ..... Oh well I suppose it did initially .... I had not long stopped breastfeeding .... the little 1 was coming up to terrible twos, my partner has a heavy work load so I felt like the sole carer & I wasn't coping, was fearing my ability to keep things under control and not hurt my little precious... I initially went to visit to the doctor as I was after something to calm those most anxious moments when I lost control ..... but no, antidepressants were offered as there is less issue with DEPENDENCE !!!! What a joke..... I get so irrate ... it's our body why not just let us have what we need... I have no history of abuse of prescription meds ... so yes I took the Pristiq & here I am a year later..... my creativity has GONE, the joy in motherhood GONE...... I'm drinking too much & I just want to be me again !

!

Sorry to babble but I have to decided in a way to use this as a diary ... to keep track of my journey "Survivng Antidepressants" X

So I took my last 100Pristiq on Friday morning...... I'm not sure of my plan yet ..... I so feel like going cold turkey as I want to be rid of this stuff from my system.......

:unsure:

Tried Lexapro about 4 years ago .... turned me to a hopeless nothing, stopped after few months.

Pristiq 50 .... increased to 100 after 6 months and no improvement in anxiety,

now in the process of being rid of Pristiq

Welcome and a word of loving advice please don't go cold turkey. Read all you can on here about slowly tapering down. I know what you mean about motherhood. No one can tell you what it is like until you experience it for yourself. Treat yourself kindly you deserve it for your and your child.

Lexapro 20 mg.since Aug 2009

Lamotrigine -100 mg. sept. 2009

Seroquel-50 mg.

down from 100 for 6 months.

Been going off and on lexapro since October 2012

off and on Lamotrigine since October 2012.

Incidentally, massive headaches and monthly vomiting has ceased

since October 2012.

So right now no lexapro since Dec. 28th after only taking 15 tables from Nov.12-to Dec.28,2012.

No lamotrigine since mid October 2012.

50 MG. seroquel at bedtime since June 2012.

Thanks for the quick reply .... I have been reading constantly for the last few days ..... yes about the tapering down etc..... just going with the flow for the moment ?

Feeling so dissapointed with the help we are offered via medical services.

Tried Lexapro about 4 years ago .... turned me to a hopeless nothing, stopped after few months.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please go back on your Pristiq dosage ASAP! You cannot image how awful withdrawal from antidepressants can be until you're experiencing it, and then it may be too late to reinstate and taper slowly.

Because there is no way to taper Pristiq, we generally advise switching to an equivalent dose of Effexor, either the tablet or the extended release version and tapering down from there:

How to taper off Pristiq

Usually getting the drug out of your system as fast as possible will do a great deal more harm than good. (There are some people who can quit cold, but no one knows how to tell that in advance). The problem is that after a few weeks on an antidepressant, changes have been made in the physical structure of the brain. Antidepressants kill off some neurotransmitters and grow new ones, so quitting cold turkey is like yanking a crutch out from under a cripple, except that the cripple will probably feel better afterward than the person who quits an antidepressant cold. It's necessary to taper off very slowly and allow your brain time to re-normalize. Please read some of the stories in Introductions and updates of other people who've gone cold turkey. Also please note that you have been on double the typically prescribed dose, which makes it even more important to taper slowly.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of good information and friendly, gentle support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, artemis.

Tapering Pristiq can be challenging. Since you're taking 100mg, you can step down to 50mg first.

Please read the How to taper off Pristiq link Jemima gave you above.

As you can see, there is no definite way to taper off Pristiq. What might work is to get your prescription written as two 50mg tablets per day, so you can cut up one 50mg tablet into quarters to reduce by 12.5mg -- you'd take 3/4 of one 50mg tablet plus the other 50mg tablet.

I'd wait at least a couple of weeks before making another 12.5mg reduction (another quarter-tablet), and so forth until down to 50mg. Then decide what you want to do next.

If you get withdrawal symptoms, you'll have to figure out how to reduce more gradually.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

TORI AMOS is helping heaps @ the moment

Ok ... day 4 today ...... going ok ....... slight head ache this morn ....

Day three .... I couldn't sit still ...... thankful for much company and caring friends yesterday... & the brain buzzes got a little more frequent in the afternoon.

Yes I am still going cold turkey ...... am going with fish oil , magnesium & some Bach's rescue remedy at the moment .... & meditation .... I am finding when the spinning head & monologue starts getting too much or I can't settle a few moment of focused breathing really helps ..... and I know it sounds strange but I keep telling myself it's my brain ... my brain .... my brain ... & I am in control....

• Administrator

Okay, if the withdrawal symptoms are getting worse, I'd take 50mg regular Effexor right away.

This might help, or you may need more.

Effexor can substitute for Pristiq and you taper off it later http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/ right away.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thanks Alto ..... not sure about getting more meds from my doc ..... they like to make the decisions....I really am on the bottom of the earth here & am hugely disappointed in the lack of knowledge ... yet these things are thrown around like sweets ! I feel violated to have surcumbed ( sorry spelling gone out the window !) to their system & the evil pharma company's horrible intentions :angry:

• Administrator

Most likely, your doctor will be thrilled you want to switch to another antidepressant.

• Administrator

Just wanted to note: If you take regular Effexor for the Pristiq withdrawal symptoms, you will have to take it every 12 hours, it's not extended-release.

Suggest you seriously consider 50mg Effexor twice a day.

Ha ha Altostrata .... you did make me laugh .... I'm feeling ok today ..... yesterday went from good to pretty bad to much better .....

Yesterday day 4 .........was fine on awakening ...... a couple of hours later a huge wave of nausea & major headache .... a was wrapped round the toilet bowl for an hour with a throbbing head & was planning a trip to the doc ...... when after being able to lie down had a nap & woke with much improvement....

afternoon included much brain snapping that zaps through my tongue & down my arms ! & can't move quickly as very dizzy.....

I am also finding the things that really wound me up aren't bothering me so much ..... just can't believe the pills I was taking to help my anxiety and bad thoughts MADE THEM WORSE ! WTF !

Today Day 5....... feel pretty good ..... hardly any zaps this morning...... achey back & neck ..... a bit phlegmy in the throat .....

I so agree I can't believe the pills that we were taking to get rid of the symptoms in the first place are making them worse now :(

can't believe you're going to cold

Turkey you must be 1 strong lady

following Altos advice and I'm done first week today of 25 milligram am/pm regular effoxor.

Good luck and keep us posted. I was 6 weeks on pristiq and trying to get off all this crud.

• Moderator Emeritus

artemis,

please consider carefully going on effexor and reducing slowly. i have always found there are 2 waves of symptoms - the first ones, the ones u are experiencing atm are easier to handle than the exaggerated neuro symptoms that hit me at about 3 weeks. by then it takes at least a month to settle - if you are lucky

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

thanks so much peggy ... for your thoughts ..... I do know it's going to probably last a while .... I am wondering what is to come ..... but I feel we are all different ... & I'm probably a bit pig headed ... I'm willing to accept all the i told you so's when they are due x

• Administrator

We're gentle with the I-told-you-sos.

You may be fine with waiting it out. Just have Plan B ready in case you need it.

Artemis

I'm so anxious to hear how you're doing as I know you were trying to get off of pristiq also

could you please give me an update on how you're doing

Know you u were doing CT which I admire I don't know that I could do that but I hate that I'm on this effexor to get off to ptistiq.

Anxious to hear from you