Jerome's benzo taper

Jerome

Hello, folks:

I'll be mainly over at the benzo forum, where my thread is called "lower the cut rate or more holds?", but wanted to introduce myself here so people will have some idea of who I am when I post outside that forum.

9 years on Ativan at mostly 6 mg/day in a single dose, guaranteed to produce interdose withdrawal symptoms. I finally realized that my symptoms (sx) were caused by Ativan and last July I started changing my doses gradually until I was taking 2 mg 3X day by November. That alone had major positive effects. I started a taper once I was stable on my meds. Milk didn't work so well for me as a solvent/dispersion agent, so I'm using a wet/dry taper based on Ativan's solubility in ethyl alcohol. I make the solution myself. I have a degree in science and 20+ years in labs, mostly pharmacology. I'm cutting at 0.017 mg/day, dealing with the > sx with periodic holds, and hoping to stay at this cut rate if I can.

Good luck to us all,

Jerome

72 years old, no history of AD meds. Single dose of Ativan ramped up to 6-8 mg/day (!) for 7 years, initial Rx for insomnia. Summer of 2012 I learned about IW sx and began the change to 3X day dosing, finishing in October. Big improvement in sx. I also take opiate pain meds.

Finally got under way with a hybrid [wet/dry] daily cut taper in Dec. 2012, at 0.0125 mg/day reduction. I was able to taper down from 8 mg/d to 4 mg/d in 2 years at that rate, interrupted by several medical adventures (heart block, wrist fracture, endocrine problem). I'm currently [9/2021] stable at 4 mg/d and plan to start a micro-taper at an initial reduction rate of 0.035 mg/d. Now (10/2023) at 1.75 mg/day, I'm getting what I think are some w/d sx. so maybe hold for a while.

My taper method, which has gone through several iterations, is linked here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5037-jeromes-wetdry-taper-revised/?hl=jerome. At the moment, I'm not using a solution, but rather dealing with dry 0.5 mg tablets.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Jerome. I'm glad that you are here.

I am currently tapering Lexapro ( AD ) & anticipate continuing cutting a different benzo than you... xanax.

It sounds like your taper is going ok. Good for you!! Wishing you continued success....

RU :) Oh. and....

9 years on Ativan at mostly 6 mg/day in a single dose, guaranteed to produce interdose withdrawal symptoms. I finally realized that my symptoms (sx) were caused by Ativan

Same here. Once I found this forum and was advised to move my doses together I felt like a new person.... and I had been experiencing interdose WD for at least 10 years. :( But don't cry over spilled milk. right?. Just be grateful and move forward . I agree with Alto.... listen to your body and reach out for help here when you need it.

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Jerome. I'm no expert on benzos, having narrowly escaped addiction thereto, but I do know that you'll get the best of information and friendly, gentle help on this forum. It has been a lifesaver for me after a too-fast "taper" off of Lexapro.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrator

Jerome, how are you doing now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.