dunerbug: My fluoxetine nightmare

dunerbug

• Administrator

Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dunerbug

• Altostrata

• Fizz

• tezza

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake.

No prob

I just get scared because I started to wean in nov. 2011 and was off by may 2012. Can withdrawal be this long?

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

• Administrator

Yes, unfortunately it can be this long.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

She must have given my number to one of the counselors there because he called this a.m. saying he'd heard I was looking for counseling services. I find this strange. Is that standard practice? She just gave them my number without my permission.

I don't blame you for feeling paranoid. Yes , I find that strange. You have a right to voice your opinion to that doc. if you are in a place personally where you feel comfortable doing that. Sometimes things are worth the battle sometimes not. I'm not sure if that is common practice or not but I know I wouldn't like it.

I know the roller coaster of feeling good some weeks and bad others stinks but the fact that you ARE having good weeks is a good sign. Good job in getting the vit. D up.

Welcome!! You will get plenty of good support here!! I'm kinda new myself. Oh the battles we fight....together :)

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

I just get scared because I started to wean in nov. 2011 and was off by may 2012. Can withdrawal be this long?

Yes, sadly, these medications are still so poorly understood that neurological impact can be indeterminate. Generally, things do get better with time.

It's not my place to give advice, but I frequently try to put myself in other people's shoes. If I were in your place, I'd stop all the supplements for the time being. (You clearly no longer are D deficient.) I'd take a few days off. Then I'd re-introduce one thing at a time, maybe starting with magnesium (as mag citrate or gycinate). I think oversupplementation is more of risk right now than underdoing it. I'd also keep a daily journal on sleep, eating, symptoms (anxiety, depression, weird sun reaction, blurry vision, memory and so on).

In a couple weeks, I'd re-evaluate.

Hang in. It's very, very likely that you will recover and be better than ever with all you've learned. For now, it's learning. I'm like a doctor to myself after this, so I started to take good notes because I realized I'd need them later and I have.

Also, it's very important to hang in through the difficult feelings. Don't give up and you'll survive this.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I talked with my Ndoc today and she was very supportive. She supports me stopping things and adding stuff in slowly. She also understands why I shouldn't take anything too stimulating.

She still doesn't understand why certain things I've taken would cause more anxiety. Her thought was maybe I was taking too much. I told her sensitivity to all kinds of things was a pretty major symptom.

I told her about this sight so I'm hoping that she will read up on this to better help me and possibly others in this situation. She seemed open to it, so that's good.

I would like to continue seeing her because of all the effort and time she's put into helping me.

We shall see..

• Moderator Emeritus

Well that's sounds a bit positive. Hang in there and lets see if some of the strategies you are putting in place will pay off

Unfortunately patience is a virtue in this game

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

I'm like a doctor to myself after this, so I started to take good notes because I realized I'd need them later and I have.

This here is so true. I'm realizing now, that I've got to be my own advocate.

It's sad in a way though.....

My husband went in for a physical recently. The Dr. gave him some samples of headache stuff and a prescription for something stronger just in case.

When I saw it, I got immediately angry. Kind of a weird reaction, I thought.

I had a sense of almost paranoia about it, like " What the hell are they trying to give him?"

We looked up the stuff on the internet (I'm thankful we have this resource) to see what it was all about. Kinda scary, the side effects.

I seem to have lost trust in the medical field a bit.

I'm sure that I will gain better perspective once I'm more stable.

I ended up in the ER once (due to swelling after a dozen wasp stings) and I posted on here via mobile b/c the ER staff wanted to give me all sorts of shots and stuff. I refused everything but the benadryl and waited it out until I could leave. I am really glad I was more cautious, even at the expense of my reputation at the er -- I've been 3 times and they know me now. I'm falsely believed to be a nutjob.

This forum in particular and the internet in general have been lifesafers in the face of risk of iatrogenesis (unintended harm caused by the healer).

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I ended up in the ER once (due to swelling after a dozen wasp stings) and I posted on here via mobile b/c the ER staff wanted to give me all sorts of shots and stuff. I refused everything but the benadryl and waited it out until I could leave. I am really glad I was more cautious, even at the expense of my reputation at the er -- I've been 3 times and they know me now. I'm falsely believed to be a nutjob.

This forum in particular and the internet in general have been lifesafers in the face of risk of iatrogenesis (unintended harm caused by the healer).

How wonderful though, that we have a resource like this now!

Sorry to hear about the wasp stings. Ouch! There were a bunch a bunch of nests when we moved into our house. It had sat empty for two years, so there were a bunch. We had to run in and out of our house like we were dodging bullets til we got rid of them all. Our neighbors probably thought we were strange.

So the last couple days I've noticed something.

It seems like I go back and forth to certain symptoms whether that be neuro or physical.

A while back, I was having anxiety before bed. I would get extremely anxious and irritated right before getting into bed. It eventually got better for a while and now it's back.

I thought it was because I fall asleep pretty early in the night and my husbands stays up later. So, I usually just fall asleep watching tv without doing any routine (brushing teeth, pajammas, etc) then we he comes in, I get up and get ready for bed.

I've seen people talk about cortisol spikes in the mornings. I'm wondering if it's possible that's what's happening for me....but at night.

Last night I got into bed super anxious and just yelled out f#*k! Then I felt a little better. :0 ....Kinda funny when I think of it now.

I know that I needed a better night time routine. I seem to get extremely tired between 8 and 10pm. I've tried doing my routine before my husband comes to bed for the night but he still ends up waking me up. Sometime I'll startle awake.

I feel bad because it wouldn't be fair to ask him to go to be at 9pm.

I should add that I've cut out all supplements and then restarted with only magnesium and fish oil. This started on the 23rd. I then added d3 on the 25th. I will add things one at a time from this point on. Next I will add iron.

Any other recommendations? I was thinking a multi vit next then holding there for a while.

Oh!

I thought of something else..

I have been having trouble controlling my bladder off and on since withdrawal. I've had some issue in the past due to having had three kids. But it seems to have gotten worse after the med.

Am I just being paranoid now? Has anyone else experienced this.

TMI, I know but, I wet myself all the damn time!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dunerbug, just been reading through your thread, you mentioned that you don't hear of too many people having too much trouble with Prozac, it does seem that way, I know a couple of people who just stopped it dead and were fine, but I've been struggling to get off Prozac for years and am extremely sensitive to it, I now know one or two others who've had a terrible time with it, so you're not alone. I'm glad you've found these forums, they are a great source of support.

You mentioned about anxiety on going to bed, I get that sometimes, mainly when I've got into this spiral of anxiety about not sleeping, and then of course I end up not sleeping because I got anxious about not sleeping, the whole withdrawal experience can so mess with your head :wacko:

Anyway, hang in there, time and support here will heal you,I've been through some horrible episodes and have always eventually come out the other side.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

I keep crying today. My anxiety is through the roof.

I'm pms'ing really bad.

It's my birthday tomorrow and as another year goes by, I'm soo scared I'm never gonna be me again.

It's been a hellish 3-4 years.

I'm typing though my tears right now and could use some encouragement if anyone has some they can spare.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi dunerbug,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so low. I've been there so I understand what it's like. I got better and I was low for a very long time. I thought I'd never feel anywhere close to myself again.

I hope you feel encouraged by the fact that I do feel much better and I believe you will too. I was always posting about how hopeless I felt. It will get better for you.

PMS seems to make withdrawal even worse, I've heard a few people say that. Just know that you are not in this alone!

Loving hugs,

Tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you're feeling so bad, I've been where you are as well, and nothing lasts forever, it really doesn't (((hugs)))

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Moderator Emeritus

Happy Birthday Dunerbug, is it the 4th or 5th? I see you got a special mention here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2214-happy-birthday-to/

:)

Sup everyone!

Had a bit of a breakdown last night. PMS this month was horrendous. (Terrible thoughts and anxiety) Finally started after being several days late, which is weird because I'm normally very regular. I have my tubes are tied so it wasn't uber stressful that way. I'm growing more and more paranoid of hormonal issues. I'm 33 so it can't be perimenopause, right?

Ok, so I know I'm dealing with withdrawal but my brain is always trying to come up with other reasons. I guess I'm having acceptance issues. It's difficult to accept that a decision *I* made has caused such upheaval in my life. (the decision to get on prozac)

My faith has taken a big hit lately as well.....but that's a whole other post.

Let me apologize.... My posts on this thread have been so negative. I hope you all are not growing tired of me.

I hope to contribute in a better way. I'm sorry.

I keep crying today. My anxiety is through the roof.

I'm pms'ing really bad.

It's my birthday tomorrow and as another year goes by, I'm soo scared I'm never gonna be me again.

It's been a hellish 3-4 years.

I'm typing though my tears right now and could use some encouragement if anyone has some they can spare.

So many of us type and cry here..This will ease. I'm having a hard time too.You are not alone ladybug.Hang in there.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Thanks Flower!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope it's a wonderful day for you!

Hugs

Thanks for the b-day wishes. You too Strawberry! Sorry I didn't say it sooner.

I hope everyone who has to cry or be discouraged posts. That's why this forum is here. And I worry about people who post they're having a hard time and then are silent! And I really hope you feel better soon!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Sup everyone!

Ok, so I know I'm dealing with withdrawal but my brain is always trying to come up with other reasons. I guess I'm having acceptance issues. It's difficult to accept that a decision *I* made has caused such upheaval in my life. (the decision to get on prozac)

My faith has taken a big hit lately as well.....but that's a whole other post.

Dunerbug,

We are not one bit tired of you, we're glad you are here. Don't be down on yourself, we are all here because "we all drank the koolaid".

I posted nothing but negativity when I was low. It's perfectly fine to express your feelings. We will be here for you!

{{{hugs}}}

Tezza

• Moderator Emeritus

Let me apologize.... My posts on this thread have been so negative. I hope you all are not growing tired of me.

I hope to contribute in a better way. I'm sorry.

I posted the wrong quote, sorry...foggy today from almost no sleep!

• 1 month later...

Hi dunerbug, just wondering how you have been doing! Was just thinking of how you described sitting outside in the sun with your pets, sounds cute! Sending love. Xxxxx

Hi dunerbug, just wondering how you have been doing! Was just thinking of how you described sitting outside in the sun with your pets, sounds cute! Sending love. Xxxxx

Hey Fizz!

I'm hanging in there.

I've been in the dumps since my last period. Plus I've been doing too much. (yard work, etc.) Too much exertion, I'm finding, make symptoms worse.

Hope you are well.

Any updates dunerbug?

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

Oh, nevermind. I see you responded to someone's inquiry earlier today.

Hang in there.

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

Hi dunerbug, know what you mean about the cycle thing. My last one was such a horror it triggered a tsunami like wave, still trying to get over it aswell. Never had any problems each month before withdrawal, thinking there must be a connection? Take it easy, I'm sure like me you are desperate to be doing more though. Hope today is good for you. Xxxxx

It's weird. I don't really know what to say.

I know my husband is tiring of all the stuff I'm going through. It makes me feel guilty sometimes. Don't get me wrong....he's still supportive but I notice we are bickering more. TMI, but our sex life has dwindled to maybe a couple times a month. that affects him more than he is saying.

I told him that I wish I could go somewhere alone to heal and only care for myself during this time. I know it's selfish, but having a husband and family to care for right now is stressful.

Right before my cycle last month, I had a couple "better weeks" then bam! In the dirt again. Logically, I know it's part of the process but it's exhausting.

I wish I had more to add. There's been some positives but mind is afraid to focus on those.....I think because it's so disappointing when they go away.

Duner

Hi dunerbug, know what you mean about the cycle thing. My last one was such a horror it triggered a tsunami like wave, still trying to get over it aswell. Never had any problems each month before withdrawal, thinking there must be a connection? Take it easy, I'm sure like me you are desperate to be doing more though. Hope today is good for you. Xxxxx

There has got to be a connection. I've always had a little PMS....But now, post prozac, is MUCH more difficult. So sorry to hear you dealing with the same thing. :(

Oh, nevermind. I see you responded to someone's inquiry earlier today.

Hang in there.

How are you holding up?

If only we knew how long, hey? But it will take as long as it takes.... Seem more exhausted lately than I was a few months ago! Just doing the essentials and trying to rest. One day we will all be well! Love xxxxx