nancys off psych drugs

nancys

Hi, i have taken myself off all my psyche drugs and need support with going throuh the suffering of the next 6 months until my brain readjusts. Are there people on here who have successfully gone off drugs after taking them many many years. Please let me know if so. I need hope, knowledge, support.

Nancy

• Administrator

Welcome, nancys.

Which drugs were you taking? How did you go off them and when was your last dose of each?

Did you have any withdrawal symptoms?

We have many people who have improved after being off drugs. It can take a long time for your nervous system to adjust.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Nancys.

I hope you'll get back to us soon regarding the drugs you were taking and the dosages, as Alto requested. If you've gone off a lot of drugs cold turkey and at roughly the same time it's important to get back on a stablizing doses as soon as possible. Cold turkey is the worst possible thing you could do to yourself.

You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here on the forum.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,.been off psych drugs.8 weeks.. did 3 month taper. On 28 years. Very miserable. Latest drugs were lamictal and seroquel and 3 months xanax. Is this just wothdrawal or real.me. should i. reinstate at low doses. What are alternatives that can help me with my suffering. Was on ssris until may 2012. Beleive felt bad since stopped them and then. tried a million other drugs until jan 2013. Not sure what to do. Just very very miserable.

• Administrator

Hi, nancy, I merged your new topic with your existing one. Only one topic per person in the Intro forum.

Please add your updates and questions to this topic.

Yes, you might be suffering withdrawal syndrome from when you went off SSRIs in May 2012, or you may have withdrawal symptoms from your more recent drugs. When you were on Lamictal, Seroquel, and Xanax, were your symptoms less?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nancys,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable. But you will receive the best advice and you will know all there is to know about the subject so that you can make an informed decision as to where to go from here.

I hope you feel better very soon.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Nancy. you will find help and support here. I am sorry you are suffering so. It can and will get better. Please answer Alto's questions in her above post to get good advice as soon as possible.

Hang in there. Many of us have suffered but are getting better!

RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Hi,

was on miscellaneous anti depressants 1998-1996

was on effexor and seroquel 1997-2012

2010-2013 lamictal

2011-2012 luvox

I stopped effexor in fall 2011 or spring 2012

I tapered off drugs feb, march, april of 2012 then started feeling bad in may.

Found out going broke in june so started drugs

Tried many drugs june 2012 to nov 2012

but was seroquel 100 mg and lamictal 150 primarily

and 3 months on xanax

I tapered nov, dec jan

off all jan 27 2013

Severe depression and anxiety now.

Went broke in june

have a brain injury for 3 years

Have no idea what is causing what

have been depressed for years and years

last time felt the best was spring 2012 before first attempt to go off drugs

So many factors don't know what is what. People say i should go back on low doses. this could be real me. it could be brain injury. it could be drug withdrawal.

Severely suicidal and nonfunctional.

Help! Don't know what to do. But barely staying alive. stress of going broke and only now just got government healthcare (which is very depressing when so ill, no hope of getting better) have brain injury that makes it hard for me to complete any tasks.

Basically everything is really bad in my life and i am a complete mess. And/or drug withdrawal......

• Administrator

When you were on Lamictal, Seroquel, and Xanax, were your symptoms less?

Dear Nancy,

Just wanted to add my voice of support. My dad had "soft" bipolar, then a severe head injury 15 years ago. I know it is really tough. Wishing you the best, Meimeiquest

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Setoquel last 15 years

Seroquel taper from 100 in january 2013. Off

Lamictal i think 300 mg started 2010. Tapered off last spring. Added 150 back in june. Tapered december january 2013. Off.

Xanax. .5 three times day sept, oct nov. Tapered. Oct nov dec. Off

Off all 8 weeks.

Very hard to know what was what for lots of reasons. My guess is i felt better since i feel so bad now. But there are way too many factors to know.

Last time i felt better was last spring when was on either effexor, luvox and was on lamictal. Was on effexor 15 years. Was on luvox 8 months. Was on seroquel.

If go back on not sire if should go back to recent drugs or effexor/luvox.

Went broke in june so hard to tell but have felt horrible ever since when on lamictal and seroquel but could be since went broke. Very very confusing.

• Administrator

It's hard to tell which withdrawal is causing your symptoms. Going too fast off any of those drugs can cause withdrawal syndrome.

Since they got worse when you went off the most recent batch, what you might do is go back on a little Lamictal, perhaps 2.5mg to start. Very low doses can reduce withdrawal symptoms.