Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Altostrata

4 hours ago, Frogie said:

That is way to fast for the end of a Lexapro taper.

Then what do you recommend? I'm having a hard time finding any info.

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

• Moderator Emeritus
34 minutes ago, catmama said:

Then what do you recommend? I'm having a hard time finding any info.

Q:  Have you read Post #1 of this topic?  It explains how to get non standard doses.

This link will go straight to Post #1:  tips-for-tapering-off-escitalopram-lexapro

It includes the following:

On 5/27/2011 at 12:16 PM, Altostrata said:

Do-it-yourself liquid
People report that they can make their own liquid from Lexapro tablets and water.

It is sparingly soluble in water, see http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01175 -- stability (shelf-life of dilution) is unknown.

Escitalopram oxalate occurs as a fine, white to slightly-yellow powder and is freely soluble in methanol and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), soluble in isotonic saline solution, sparingly soluble in water and ethanol, slightly soluble in ethyl acetate, and insoluble in heptane. According to RxList,com.

Your best bet would be to use a homemade isotonic(normal saline) saline solution (9% salt in water) which is made by dissolving 9 grams(1.8 tsp) of table salt in 1000mL of water.  Preparing a Saline Solution  The NS(normal saline) should be good for up to a month to draw from.

Draw out or extract the amount of NS(normal saline) for your desired dilution, add to a separate, mixing vessel, preferably amber colored, and with a lid, then add in your escitalopram tablet or powdered tablet until it's dissolved.  Keep protected from light in the refrigerator, and best to remix a batch of your Lexapro(dissolved) at least every week.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Please post questions about your particular taper in your Introductions topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, catmama said:

My question is in regards to finally getting to 0. I understand that the end game forum section is under construction. But who knows when it will be completed. Until then I was looking for any info on when to make the jump to 0. Mathematically, I can't keep dropping by a percentage, I know there has to be a "jumping off" point. I recall that the end game suggestion used to be to get to 1 mg then make bigger cuts with longer hold times. But now I'm being told that's no longer recommended. 

The hyperbolic taper never gets to 0.

Lexapro is a very strong drug, as explained in Post #1 of the Tips for Tapering Lexapro topic below:

If you are taking 5mg of Lexapro, it's not tiny, it's equivalent to 10-20mg Paxil or Celexa.

So this means that 0.05mg Lexapro equals about 0.1-0.2mg Paxil or Celexa.

This is very important to keep in mind when you compare the jump off dose for your drug as to other members' jump off dose.

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

28 minutes ago, catmama said:

I can't keep dropping by a percentage

When you are using liquid you can continue reducing by 10% until you get to a low enough dose to stop.  Obviously the jump from the last dose to 0 is going to be 100%.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

When you go off depends on your history of withdrawal effects. @catmama, please continue this discussion in your own Introductions topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Just found this by on the other mods:

On 3/22/2022 at 3:27 AM, getofflex said:

I'll probably go to 0.005 mg, just because Lexapro is such a strong SSRI.

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2011 at 9:16 PM, Altostrata said:

aka Cipralex, Seroplex, Lexamil, Lexam

As with all psychiatric drugs, Lexapro must be tapered for safe discontinuation.

In the US, Lexapro comes in 5, 10, and 20mg tablets and as a liquid solution.  Apparently the  pharmacy made suspension is becoming less available(mmt, 2021 August).

It is available as a generic. Its half-life is 27–32 hours http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17375980

In Canada, Lundbeck's Cipralex comes in 5, 10, 15, 20 mg tablets.

In both the UK and US escitalopram comes in a concentrated solution.

UK version Cipralex oral drops solution 20 mg escitalopram in each 1 mL(millilter of solution) and then 1 mg per gtt(drop) EU-pil, 4306.pdf

(this one comes with the dropper attached to the bottle, each gtt(drop) then equivalent to 0.05 mL(millileter))

*^ highly concentrated, keep out of reach of children, or infirm

US Escitalopram Oral Solution- FDA prescribing information

This one comes in a concentration of 5 mg in each 5 mL(millileter of solution, or 1 mg in each 1 mL.

Official US information:

From http://www.drugs.com/pro/escitalopram-tablets.html
The liver enzymes represented by P450 CYP3A4 and CYP2C19 are the primary avenues of metabolization.

From the FDA-mandated US package insert (PDF):

Special considerations
A significant characteristic of Lexapro is that milligram for milligram, it is much stronger than other SSRIs. Chemically, Lexapro is a variation of Celexa; the molecule was re-engineered to be patentable as Celexa's patent was about to expire. The streamlined molecule is a more potent SSRI, 2 to 4 times stronger than others. (Wikipedia has a good explanation of this at https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Escitalopram.)

However, many doctors are unaware that escitalopram is stronger than other SSRIs and dose it as though it were the same strength. Although the so-called usual starting dose of escitalopram, 10mg, is equivalent to 20mg-30mg or more of, for example, paroxetine (Paxil), your doctor may have moved you to an even higher dose. If you are taking 20mg of escitalopram, you are taking a hefty dose of an SSRI.

If you are taking 5mg of Lexapro, it's not tiny, it's equivalent to 10-20mg Paxil or Celexa.

Consequently, when you taper off escitalopram, you should be careful to decrease by small amounts, as each drop is magnified by escitalopram's extra potency. If you find withdrawal symptoms from a 10% decrease to be too difficult, after 3-4 weeks decrease by a smaller amount.

Cold-turkeying off Lexapro is not a good idea. It's like throwing your brain off a cliff.

Reduce by 10% per month to start
The 10% rule holds for Lexapro, just like other psychiatric drugs: Reduce by 10% per month, calculated on the last dosage. (The amount of the reduction gets progressively smaller.)

See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Cutting up tablets
Although 5mg tablets are available, if you are taking 20mg Lexapro, a drop to 15mg would be a 25% decrease. This is a larger decrease than the 10% recommended.

If you wish to try cutting up tablets, they can be cut up with a pill splitter like other medications in tablet form. Keep the pieces you don't use in a clean pill bottle labeled with the dosage for future use.

Reducing with a combination of tablets and liquid
If you are taking, for example, 15mg, and want to decrease by 10% (1.5mg), you can take one 10mg tablet and 3.5mg in the liquid form for a total of 13.5mg.

Titrating using liquid formulation
Using the liquid form is the best way to control the amount of each decrease. The US formulation provides 5 mg per 5 mL (amounting to 1mg of the medication in a milliliter of the liquid, or 1mg:1mL).

From http://www.hipaaspace.com/Medical_Billing/Coding/National.Drug.Codes/0456-2101-08

The NDC code 0456-2101-08 is the US order code for the liquid.

You can measure out dosages under 10mg by using a 5mL or 10mL oral syringe, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/page__view__findpost__p__2607

The 10mL oral syringe has markings that enable measuring out amounts as small as .20mL.

If you are at 5mg, for example, use a 10 milliliter oral syringe to measure a 10% decrease, i.e. .5mg. Subtracting .5mg from 5mg would give you a reduced dose of 4.5mg.

If you need to measure an even smaller fraction of a milligram, use a 1 milliliter oral syringe, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/page__view__findpost__p__2284

NOTE: In the UK, the liquid form is available at a 10mg:1mL or 20mg:1mL concentration -- very inconvenient for tapering. One version of the liquid form is Cipralex from Lundbeck.

To take 1mg of the 10:1 liquid, use the small slim 1mL oral syringe to take 0.1mL (one-tenth milliliter). The 1mL oral syringe has 10 ticks within .1mL, enabling taking .01mL (one-hundreth milliliter) or, given the 10:1 concentration, .1mg (one-tenth milligram) escitalopram.

From:  https://www.lundbeck.com/au/products/our-products/lexapro/lexapro-oral:

This information from Lundbeck, a manufacturer of escitalopram drops in Europe, http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/21976/SPC/Cipralex+5,+10+and+20+mg+film-coated+tablets+and+20+mg+ml+oral+drops,+solution/ suggests the liquid form can be diluted with water:

Since water is part of the original formulation, it is unlikely additional water will cause the dilution to degrade. However, being exposed to light, etc. may do this, so it is unclear how long a diluted solution will last in potency.

Do-it-yourself liquid
People report that they can make their own liquid from Lexapro tablets and water.

It is sparingly soluble in water, see http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB01175 -- stability (shelf-life of dilution) is unknown.

Escitalopram oxalate occurs as a fine, white to slightly-yellow powder and is freely soluble in methanol and dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), soluble in isotonic saline solution, sparingly soluble in water and ethanol, slightly soluble in ethyl acetate, and insoluble in heptane. According to RxList,com.

Your best bet would be to use a homemade isotonic(normal saline) saline solution (9% salt in water) which is made by dissolving 9 grams(1.8 tsp) of table salt in 1000mL of water.  Preparing a Saline Solution  The NS(normal saline) should be good for up to a month to draw from.

Draw out or extract the amount of NS(normal saline) for your desired dilution, add to a separate, mixing vessel, preferably amber colored, and with a lid, then add in your escitalopram tablet or powdered tablet until it's dissolved.  Keep protected from light in the refrigerator, and best to remix a batch of your Lexapro(dissolved) at least every week.

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using a combination of tablets or capsules and liquid

Rather than switch directly to an all-liquid dose, you may wish to take part of your dose in liquid and part in lower-dose tablets or capsules, gradually converting to all liquid as you get to lower dosages. This can be very convenient and reduce any problems switching from one form of the drug to another.

Switching to Prozac
The risks of this method may not be worth switching from Lexapro to Prozac. This is usually used for medications with shorter half-lives than Lexapro. If you want to try this, make sure you consult a doctor who has done it many times and knows what he or she is doing.

Anyone with experience tapering off Lexapro can tell me if they found it more helpful to take at a particular time of day?

Also, anyone doing their solution with only tablets and water? I do it that way and wondering how making the liquid by first making a saline solution is helpful. 

2002-2021: 19 yrs on/off psychotropics

2/2022: Wellbutrin 150mg, Lexapro 20mg  3/22: Wellbutrin 150mg xl, Lexapro 10mg    4/22: Wellbutrin 150xl, Lexapro 5mg 

4/2022: Lexa 7.5mg total, Wellbutrin 150mg    5/2022: Wellb 112.5mg xl, Lexa 7.5mg (Stopped Clonazepam & Hydroxyzine- didn't take often)

6/2022: Welbutrin 111mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg          8/2022: Wellbutrin 100mg xl, Lexa 6.8mg            10/9/22: Wellbutrin 100 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg

11/3/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.5 mg       11/30/22: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6 mg

3/15/23: Wellbutrin 96 mg IR, Lexa 6.2 mg???

Other Daily Meds: Singulair 10mg, Zyrtec 10mg, Spiriva Respimat inhaler.  Rarely taking: OTC pain relievers, Diclofenac, Cyclobenzaprine, anti acids

SupplementsFish oil 1300mg, Nigella oil, Mag Glycinate 200mg, Probiotics 30 billion, 1/5 dose prenatals, Melatonin .38mg, (Reishi, Lion's Mane & psilocybin microdosing by cycles)

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, DazzlingCold said:

wondering how making the liquid by first making a saline solution is helpful. 

From Post #1 of this current topic:

Edited by ChessieCat

• Administrator

We have dozens of people tapering with a homemade liquid.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/15/2022 at 6:31 AM, DazzlingCold said:

Anyone with experience tapering off Lexapro can tell me if they found it more helpful to take at a particular time of day?

Generally antidepressants are activating and it is better to take them in the morning.  However there are some people who find their drug has a sedating effect and they may choose take it at night.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently tapering Lexapro after a 9 month hold. The only liquid available here is 20mg/ml so it is very inconvenient when tapering and my pharmacys smallest syringe is 1 ml.
Doing a Cut is very hard with that strong solution and that big syringe.

So i found syrings with needles that are 0,5 ml meant for diabetics. Could this be a good solution until i get my brain on board to start making my own liquid? Or does anyone know if the syringes for diabectics are somewhst different?

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

April 2013 got off August 2013 reinstated 

July 2015 Ketipinor 50mg (Quetiapin)

April 2021 got off Quetiapin 4w taper

May 2021 tapered off Escitalopram 

9 August 2021 back on Escitalopram 2,5mg. Down to 2 mg. Updosed to 2,2mg August 24 Down to 2mg September 2

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

December Still holding ❤️

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

December 2022 switched syringes and realized i am actually taking 3,4 mg

Supplements vitamin E 400 magnesium malate a fraction of 400, Rosita Cod liver oil

On 6/23/2022 at 9:31 PM, Escitalopram21 said:

Currently tapering Lexapro after a 9 month hold. The only liquid available here is 20mg/ml so it is very inconvenient when tapering and my pharmacys smallest syringe is 1 ml.
Doing a Cut is very hard with that strong solution and that big syringe.

So i found syrings with needles that are 0,5 ml meant for diabetics. Could this be a good solution until i get my brain on board to start making my own liquid? Or does anyone know if the syringes for diabectics are somewhst different?

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use a 0.5ml diabetic syringe. Are you diluting the drops? 

• August 2004:  Citalopram 20mg for "postnatal anxiety".  
  • May-Sept 2011:  Adverse reaction to the contraceptive pill, causing severe anxiety and panic.  Was switched from 7 years on Citalopram to Lofepramine briefly, then Mirtazapine 30mg.  Was an anxious, depressed, suicidal wreck and got misdiagnosed with GAD by a psychiatrist.  I now realise my symptoms were all medication related, as opposed to so-called psychiatric diagnosis.
  • October 2011:  Pregabalin 450mg and propranolol 40mg TID added by psychiatrist. 
  • Feb 2013: Tapered off pregabalin 450mg; stopped propranolol.
  • July 2013: Switched from Mirtazapine 30mg to Cipralex 10mg in a two-week cross titration, which caused horrific withdrawal symptoms lasting months.
  • April 2015: Increased to 15mg Cipralex. 
  • 2017:  Was treated by a clinical psychologist for medication-related trauma and slowly tapered down to 2mg Cipralex over the next four years. 
  • December 2021: Switched from Cipralex tablets to drops to facilitate further tapering; this caused withdrawal reaction lasting approx 6 weeks. 
  • May 2022: Experienced severe withdrawal reaction after inadvertently taking expired drops.  
  • 3rd June 2022: Reinstated 2mg Cipralex drops. Stabilisation hindered by drinking alcohol socially; didn't realise impact of this. Nil alcohol since September 2022.
  • Supplements: Cycling Magnesium, Omega 3, Evening Primrose, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, Zinc, Ashwagandha, Sage.  Had been taking these prior to withdrawal incident.
  • Feb 2023:  Relatively stable and aiming to hold on 2mg Cipralex and with a view to tapering down in 2024.  Tapered off Ashwagandha.

On 6/25/2022 at 3:11 AM, conkaia said:

Are you diluting the drops? 

At this point 2,85 mg i am not diluting my solution. I Will have to when i get to lower doses. 
The insulin syringes seems to be in units not in ml so i need to figure out what that means in ml. 

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

9 August 2021 back on Escitalopram 2,5mg. Down to 2 mg. Updosed to 2,2mg August 24 Down to 2mg September 2

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

Supplements vitamin E 400 magnesium malate a fraction of 400, Rosita Cod liver oil

I would strongly suggest seeing a pharmacist and getting a mL syringe, it will greatly reduce the chance of making a mistake and they are usually free, or very inexpensive.

Here is some good information on converting from Units to mL.

Converting Units Of Insulin To Milligrams And Milliliters (walrus.com)

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for your reply.
Now i have a 1mL syringe but would make it easier with 0,5 mL with the 20mg/ml solution. Now when making a drop the lines dont help much and i have to eyeball it. Very inconvenient and i believe this might have been the reason to why it have taken me such a long time to stabilize. @brassmonkey

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

I don't remember if I sent you this link or not, but it has a very good section on working with dilutions of liquid medications.

Brassmonkey's Tips and Tricks for Tapering - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Escitalopram21 said:

At this point 2,85 mg i am not diluting my solution. I Will have to when i get to lower doses. 
The insulin syringes seems to be in units not in ml so i need to figure out what that means in ml. 

So how are you getting 2.85mg, are you just estimating with the 1ml syringe? That might well be why you’re taking so long to stabilise. This is such a minefield. I’m still trying to stabilise after inadvertently withdrawing from 2mg due to taking out of date drops. Having read @brassmonkey advice I hope it’s safe to dilute the drops in water when I decide to taper again. 

• May-Sept 2011:  Adverse reaction to the contraceptive pill, causing severe anxiety and panic.  Was switched from 7 years on Citalopram to Lofepramine briefly, then Mirtazapine 30mg.  Was an anxious, depressed, suicidal wreck and got misdiagnosed with GAD by a psychiatrist.  I now realise my symptoms were all medication related, as opposed to so-called psychiatric diagnosis.
  • October 2011:  Pregabalin 450mg and propranolol 40mg TID added by psychiatrist. 
  • July 2013: Switched from Mirtazapine 30mg to Cipralex 10mg in a two-week cross titration, which caused horrific withdrawal symptoms lasting months.
  • 2017:  Was treated by a clinical psychologist for medication-related trauma and slowly tapered down to 2mg Cipralex over the next four years. 
  • December 2021: Switched from Cipralex tablets to drops to facilitate further tapering; this caused withdrawal reaction lasting approx 6 weeks. 
  • May 2022: Experienced severe withdrawal reaction after inadvertently taking expired drops.  
  • 3rd June 2022: Reinstated 2mg Cipralex drops. Stabilisation hindered by drinking alcohol socially; didn't realise impact of this. Nil alcohol since September 2022.
  • Supplements: Cycling Magnesium, Omega 3, Evening Primrose, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex, Zinc, Ashwagandha, Sage.  Had been taking these prior to withdrawal incident.
  • Feb 2023:  Relatively stable and aiming to hold on 2mg Cipralex and with a view to tapering down in 2024.  Tapered off Ashwagandha.

Yes unfortunately eyeballing it.
and still I have such big resistance agaisnt doing anything differently because my mind keeps finding obstacles. For example a few drops always leaves in the syringe and i have to take a few shots with water to make sure i flushed all the solution out. How to think about that if diluting it? 
@conkaia

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

Hmm I see what you mean. Maybe you could dilute extra and only draw up what you need in syringe? My worry about diluting is that the active ingredient isn’t dispersed evenly. @Escitalopram21

@conkaia

Yes thats my plan when its already diluted. But when diluting it should i just press out what comes out from the syringe, flush it and then measure water for the solution or? Like what about the medication staying in the syringe. Thats quite much. 
Maybe @brassmonkeycan give an answer to this?

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

I was planning on making a 1mg/1ml solution by putting the drops straight from the bottle into the water each day.  Then mixing it and drawing up what I need. @Escitalopram21

@conkaia👍🏻 Sounds like a good way to do it. 
How are you planning on measuring the amount of water?

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

I was thinking measure water with syringe @Escitalopram21

The syringe is designed to have a small amount stay in it, so you don't have to work to get the extra out.

40 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

The syringe is designed to have a small amount stay in it, so you don't have to work to get the extra out.

So i have actually been taking more than what i have been thinking when flushing it with water into my mouth every time?

if changing methods and not flush it anymore, how much i actually staying in the syringe? Do i need to measure extra to get the right amount after doing what i have done. 

Thank you for the reply. And sorry for so many questions, this is one of my first attempts to taper after going CT with prevoius meds.

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

My suggestion would be to continue doing it the same way until your next reduction and then just do a reduction and not flush the syringe.

I don't think the dose difference would only be minuscule and not worth worrying about.

If you next reduction is from 2.85mg to 2.8mg then it is only a 1.75% decrease.

As Chessie said, just treat it as part of your next reduction and not worry about it.

Thank you. And could you confirm that by adding 1,5 ml of water to 1,5 ml of my 20mg/mL liquid gives me a Ratio of 1:1?

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

41 minutes ago, Escitalopram21 said:

Thank you. And could you confirm that by adding 1,5 ml of water to 1,5 ml of my 20mg/mL liquid gives me a Ratio of 1:1?

It will. But personally I’d add 2 drops to 2ml water then draw up 1.5ml with a syringe. To save me trying to measure out 1.5mg. 

When making homemade escitalopram liquid with water mixed with salt, how does it taste?

Various AD since 2011, various benzos since 2013
2018-  Escitalopram 20 mg, Alprazolam 0,75-1,5mg
09/20- 01/21  Cymbalta 60 mg, Alprazolam 1,5 mg ,Rapid unsuccesful 3 week taper from 12/20-01/21 (due to physical health issues on doctor's advice)
02/21    Seroxat 20 mg and Bromazepam 3 mg -discontinued Seroxat after two weeks (bad side efffects)
03/21    Reintroduced Escitalopram 10 mg, Bromazepam 3,75 mg. Tapering bromazepam (10%), direct dry taper started 04/21
03.04.21   3,375 mg, 08/21 Bromazepam OFF

25.06.22 Started Escitalopram 10mg taper, 9.5mg (5 % monthly reduction)

• Moderator Emeritus
57 minutes ago, indario55 said:

When making homemade escitalopram liquid with water mixed with salt, how does it taste?

It is less than 2 teaspoons of salt in 1 litre of water.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, brassmonkey said:

I would strongly suggest seeing a pharmacist and getting a mL syringe, it will greatly reduce the chance of making a mistake and they are usually free, or very inexpensive.

Here is some good information on converting from Units to mL.

Converting Units Of Insulin To Milligrams And Milliliters (walrus.com)

How many days does the liquid last in the refrigerator?

I don't speak English fluently but I speak to you with google translator

2005-2006:Diversity in taking medications
 2006-2019 Seroxat 20 mg
 2020-2021 Cipralex 15 mg
 Mar 2021 it has decreased from 15 mg to 12.5 mg/Aug 2021 9mg/Sep 12, 2021 8mg/Oct 12, 2021 7mg / Nov 12, 2021 6mg / Dec 12, 2021 5mg / Jan 12, 2022 4.5mg /Feb 12, 2022 4mg/Mar-Apr 3.5mg/May 3mg The beginning of severe withdrawal

/sep 23, 2022 2.5mg

On March 19, 2023, I ended up in the emergency room, with severe palpitations, panic, and severe mental and physical fatigue, then I went back to a dose of 20 milligrams of Seroxat to this day.

I wouldn't keep it more than four days.

• 2 months later...

Anyone using just water instead of making a saline solution?

I've tried both and it looks almost the same, after shaking it a little, tablet dissolves nicely no matter if using only water or saline solution.

So I guess, water only is ok? 

09/20- 01/21  Cymbalta 60 mg, Alprazolam 1,5 mg ,Rapid unsuccesful 3 week taper from 12/20-01/21 (due to physical health issues on doctor's advice)
02/21    Seroxat 20 mg and Bromazepam 3 mg -discontinued Seroxat after two weeks (bad side efffects)
03/21    Reintroduced Escitalopram 10 mg, Bromazepam 3,75 mg. Tapering bromazepam (10%), direct dry taper started 04/21

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, indario55 said:

Anyone using just water instead of making a saline solution?

I've tried both and it looks almost the same, after shaking it a little, tablet dissolves nicely no matter if using only water or saline solution.

So I guess, water only is ok? 

It is better to use a saline solution and it is not difficult nor expensive.  This is the information provided in Post #1 of this topic together with the "recipe" for the saline solution:

Do-it-yourself liquid

See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Yes I've read that. I've tried saline too.

But if it dissolves in water just fine, then I guess no need to go for extra steps making a saline solution. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy