Hope and Healing with Acudetox - N.A.D.A.

Janie

I'm surprised that I did not find anything on Surviving Antidepressants with a search on Acudetox. This is something that's gaining lots of use and support. I first learned about it on the Internet last week. Acudetox is acupuncture to the ears that is used to relieve drug withdrawal symptoms and to help with traumatic stress. It is used in drug detox centers around the world, and was used for trauma victims of the 911 attacks, and hurricane Katrina. It reduces anxiety and cravings, provides a sense of well being and reduces body ailments (headache, stomach pain, aches,tingling, etc) caused by withdrawal.

While it is mostly used for alcohol and illegal drug rehab, apparently it is also effective for perscription drug withdrawal (as evidenced by it's use at The Freedom Center -see website see http://www.freedom-center.org/keywords/coming-meds )

After having a bad weekend last week, I was looking for something else to try, found this and decided I wanted to try it! Through internet searches, I could only find one provider in my area - an acupuncturist who was a bit of a distance to travel. I made an appointment for the following week. But then I got smart and called the National Acupuncture for Detox Association (NADA) headquarters - the organization that gives the training - to see if there were other people besides him. At least in some states, you do NOT have to be an acupuncturist to administer the treatment. I was given 2 names of people trained in my area. NADA said they may or may not be able to provide the treatment. They might only be working at a rehab center and not giving the treatment independently. I did not want to check in to any drug rehab center but wanted to know if I could get the treatment somehow as an outpatient or whatever.

Fortunately one of them called me back and can and did give me a treatment. Upon insertion of the needles, I soon felt something happening. I began to tear up and wept for several minutes. It seemed to release emotions or unblock something?? I then just relalxed and did some deep breathing for the 30 minute period the needles were in. I did feel quite good that evening, but may have been having a good period anyway. The night was one of my better nights, but I still awoke and felt I needed some of my saffron. The next day I felt truly good moodwise. I felt more hopeful and happy than I have for many months. Granted it was a superbly gorgeous day that I spent outside with family attending a community fair and then a group picnic. But I know I could not have even enjoyed those events a few weeks ago. I would have had a big gloomy cloud all around me. Instead I felt quite normal, could think about the future with hope and enthusiasm and was more outgoing and upbeat than I've been in a long time. After the picnic I got some unusual and extreme stomach cramping and diarrhea. Could have been from eating too much, or could have been a purging of poisons due to the acupuncture? Someone told me the antidepressant can still be in your body after you withdraw. I wonder if it is still in there causing the problems, or is it the LACK of it that your body is not used to? I had a phenomenally good night's sleep the second night- did not need saffron in the night and have barely had any today. I do feel a bit more down with nothing to do today, but overall a very good day so far.

I wanted to share this exciting treatment and urge others to check it out. I will have my second treatment later this week. I am canceling the acupuncturist. This other person is more convenient and costs less. I'm so hopeful this will help me recover. I will report again as I continue the treatments. Website http://acudetox.com/ - plus google it. There is a good bit of information out there.

Administrator -you may THINK this should be moved to my personal posts BUT I feel it should remain under the symptoms forum. People would browse that forum for things to try. They will not find new treatments like this buried in someone's personal history unless they knew to search for the keyword. At least that is how I understand the site and the search function to work. How best to share with the most people looking for answers? Same with the saffron which I feel has helped me enormously. Thank you.

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

• Administrator

This is fine here, Janie, thanks.

We look forward to hearing more from you and others about this acupuncture technique.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I had this one time as part of an acupuncture treatment and agree with Janie's comments. I had a very good response even though the needles in the ear cartilage were a bit uncomfortable. I've tried to locate a practitioner since then and have not found anyone. I was told this was AURICULOTHERAPY but sounds like what Janie describes. I apologize.. I did not look at the website she posted.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I've had it done...it helped for a while...noticeably helped me sleep...but it's helpfulness passed...it did a bit of easing up for a time when things were nightmarish...was not a cure all, but it's very gentle and seems safe and unlikely to harm...so I would recommend people try it.

I also would have little needle like things stuck to my ears and I could manipulate them between appointments.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Thank you, for this information ..

I wonder if it will help with shortness of breath, and a low level but constant heart issue, that feels like my heart is

struggling ..

Any encouragement will be appreciated ..God bless ..xx

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

I sometimes have a dull pain in my heart area but conclude it is tight/ spastic muscles, not the heart itself, since it often goes away when I massage that area. So I think it is stress and anxiety related. Have you had a physician check your heart and lungs? Does your heart beat seem normal? Is your shortness of breath constant or random? Is it worse upon exertion? If worse upon exertion it may be more than just anxiety. It seems you should have a physican check you out. Probably it's nothing..but for peace of mind. If you check out with a healthy heart, then you can address it as stress, try relaxation, maybe acupuncture. Just my thoughts.

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

Thank you Janie, I am grateful that you responded ..

I was at the ER in early March, for severe heart palpitations ..They kept me overnight, but I was diagnosed

with premature beats ..The Cardiologist was not concerned ..

I am now in my 5 th month, going through WD, and I started having these symptoms about 3 weeks ago ..My stomach hurts so bad, and my heart feels flooded somehow.

..And my breathing scares me ..These symptoms happen constantly, whether I am resting, or gently walking for a bit ..

It is relentless ..Not a moment's peace ..:(

If it is WD, I wonder how long it will last ..

Sending you healing thoughts ..xx

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• 8 years later...
On 5/27/2013 at 6:53 PM, lexicon said:

Thank you Janie, I am grateful that you responded ..

I was at the ER in early March, for severe heart palpitations ..They kept me overnight, but I was diagnosed

with premature beats ..The Cardiologist was not concerned ..

I am now in my 5 th month, going through WD, and I started having these symptoms about 3 weeks ago ..My stomach hurts so bad, and my heart feels flooded somehow.

..And my breathing scares me ..These symptoms happen constantly, whether I am resting, or gently walking for a bit ..

It is relentless ..Not a moment's peace ..:(

If it is WD, I wonder how long it will last ..

Sending you healing thoughts ..xx

Lexi

I haven't seen anything recent around this treatment but I'm currently doing this and it really helps...it is not a detox but a way of stabioizing the cns....it helped me sleep

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy