Gems- cold turkey and reinstatement of escitalopram

Gems

Thanks for checking in Katie- how are you doing? The tiredness is a nightmare but at least it seems to be easing up a bit for you? I read your intro and see you started taking AD in anticipation for stopping smoking? Are you still off the cigs? <<SNIP>>It actually feels really good being back at work (after just over 4 months off)- I enjoy the work I do (producing statistics and bit of research) and I have missed the craic with my colleagues. My manager is great so there's no issues with me easing back into it and I can chat to them about what's going on too. Looking forward to getting stuck back in properly as my work does give me a bit of a confidence boost. How are you getting on with your work?How are things with your husband and kids now? 

Yes, I am still off the cigs. IN the end, I went to cessation sessions and surprised myself for going for those tiny lozenges, the ones that sit under your tongue or the side of your mouth, so small I was falling asleep with them and waking up with the remains  in my hair... Each to her own, but after that I jsut stopped, and the cold turkey on nicotine only lasted 72 hours (days 4 to 7), which this time was more severe than ever before (must be my age), I slept 36 of those hours being terribly tired and cold, even in bed....

Sounds like work is good for you! I work for myself so only get paid for the hours I do, so because I was slower during the whole month of June cos if the after effects of w/d symptoms, I worked 7/7 to keep up with my hours and my regular clients. My work is fine, and I'm glad I have the routine.

Right now, I'm still not totally back to normal physically. Still fighting tiredness and breathlessness (still not got the result for haemoglobin from blood taken last week). Fine and hunky dory with hubby. And my kids (from another marriage) are their usual selves. The boys arrive next week; last time I saw them they were getting used to the idea of my divorcing their stepdad, who they quite like, but I don't think there's going to be much more fall out on that....

Take care Gems, I'm heading into a busy time for the next day or week or so. Thinking of you <<hug>>

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference

Liquid wasn't available for me, either - and I had real doubts about my own ability to mix the liquid & dose myself properly - I bought a $4 pill crusher and an inexpensive scale. It came from amazon.com and is about 3" by 3". Once I got the scale I was horrified by how much my divided pills varied - they looked pretty evenly cut but still might vary by 20% per day. It really helped me to be able to weigh & know exactly how much I was taking.

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

• 1 month later...

Hi Gems, how is it going? I haven't seen your posts for some time, maybe it's just like me and the holidays?

Here, I've got my doctor to prescribe liquid Citalopram, See my intro thread.

Started citalopram May 12, from 10 to 40 mg/d over 2 months

Wanted to come off in May 13 and did it too quickly: decrease from 40 to 0 mg/d over 2 weeks; WD from then onwards, increasing in intensity to be unbearable at 4 weeks later;  reinstated 10 mg/d for 2 days (WD severity halved); reinstated 20 mg/d (initial WD symptoms decreased but not gone entirely until after 8 weeks)

Started 5--7% taper: Aug 13: 19 mg/d, mild WD on day 3; thereafter none notable; Nov 13: 18 mg/d, no WD; Dec 13: 17 mg/day, no WD for 3 weeks, then (at Christmas) tearfulness; Jan 14: 16.7 mg/d, Apr 14: 15.7 mg/d, Jun 14: 14.5 mg/d; Jul 14: 13.5 mg/d (6.9% reduction), Aug 14: 12.5 mg/d (7.4% reduction)

Sharing experience makes a difference