Spice: My Intro

Spice

It sounds like you are coming along as would be expected. I know it's not easy. Regarding the suicide thoughts and all, Alto recommends Changing the Channel. Acknowledge that they are abnormal thoughts from a struggling brain, yet really normal in your situation of drug withdrawal and find something else to do or think about...listen to music, play a random game on the computer, knitting, plan menus for the week, especially walk outside if possible. There is a thread under symptoms entitled Suicide Ideation. You'll make it!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Ok things are getting worse and worse and we're trying to keep her safe and get her stable and keep out of hospital. We've decided to increase prozac from 0.9mg to 5mg. She usually takes it at night but we took 5mg this morning to try and get it back into her system. She is suffering with mental torture, displaying symptoms of psychosis, rocking, pacing, actively suicidal - I know its from all the mental anguish shes in.

Sadly had to take extra lorazepam today and now its the weekend again so all the NHS "help" won't be available.

Will this prozac increase take a long time to have effect? Is the 5mg a high enough dose?

Seroxat (Paxil) 1997 - 2003 (age 17 to 23)

Breakdown from withdrawal

6 month stay in hospital - July 03 - Dec 03

Somewhere in that mess - Mirtazapine, Olanzapine, Diazapam, Lorazepam, Cirpralex, Promazine, Effexor, Busperone - all off now

Reinstated 15mg Prozac one month off (2010)

15mg Remeron (Mirtazipine)

1mg Fluanxol (Flupentixol)

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

Generally more unwell psychologically plus headaches and radiating back pain - prescribed Gabapentin (neurontin) leading to bad effect after 3 days so stopped. Big crash .......

Reinstated Remeron 7.5mg (July 04th)

..................Fluanxol 0.5 then 1 mg

..................Prozac still at 0.9mg

6th August 2013 Prozac to 5 mg immediate akasthesia would not let her rest, some psychosis/ mania

Reduced to 4mg then 2 mg then 9 August 2013 original (0.9mg) dose ( did not stick at lowered doses)

Still looking for answers and want to be well.

• Administrator

Sorry, it's impossible to predict. It may be too high a dose. Or it may help.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all, we had a continuation of the negative effect to the 5 mg of Prozac and kinda got scared by it. We reduced it to 4 mg the next day - 2 mg the next and back down to the 0.9mg that she was taking before and have been there since. The akasthesia continues with some out of control moments of rolling on the floor (not the lol kind).

We are not sure whether the Prozac had a negative effect on the Fluanxol and had to cut back as riding that out gave us no guarantee that the restlessness would abate.

We have an appointment with the same psychiatrist today (2 weeks on) and will show the, now, restless Hana and see if she has any ideas.

Our aim would be to reduce the Fluanxol and the Mirtazipine one at a time as there has been no improvement by up dosing and reinstating these two even after 7 weeks.

Hana is prepared to take a new AD with sedating effects - perhaps one of the older Tricyclics (Amitriptyline ) to get stable then work on the others singly and slowly tapering. We need stability the most as she is difficult to look after and she is not a happy person at the moment.

My work as a nurse working 12 hour shifts has not been affected but having to provide cover to look after Hana with the parents is difficult as they live a way away (2 hours). I will ask about outside help and anything that may be available but mostly I want to keep her out of hospital.

Any thoughts on a new AD that may be suitable - Hana has tried a lot so has memories of some.

Any other ideas re Fluanxol/ Prozac reaction?

Will let you know results of the meeting. Sorry that we are all going through these hard times, Rob

Somewhere in that mess - Mirtazapine, Olanzapine, Diazapam, Lorazepam, Cirpralex, Promazine, Effexor, Busperone - all off now

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

Generally more unwell psychologically plus headaches and radiating back pain - prescribed Gabapentin (neurontin) leading to bad effect after 3 days so stopped. Big crash .......

6th August 2013 Prozac to 5 mg immediate akasthesia would not let her rest, some psychosis/ mania

Reduced to 4mg then 2 mg then 9 August 2013 original (0.9mg) dose ( did not stick at lowered doses)

• Moderator Emeritus

I just want to say how sorry I am, to both of you. Your situation is so complex with so many meds that I don't feel I have any advice to give, other than what I've already said (try to stop switching meds around as soon as you can). Which is pretty basic and probably not very helpful at this point.

Please tell Hana that my thoughts and prayers are with her. I've been in some truly bad and desperate places over the years due to drug and withdrawal effects, including being extremely suicidal, and I know how absolutely hellish that suffering can be.  

My heart breaks for you both.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Hana may be hypersensitive to all psychoactive drugs. Although psychiatry wants to believe it can counter adverse effects of one drug with another, this is not always the case.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Then what do we do?? She's in such hell she took an overdose this week, she's in psychosis, out of touch with reality completely, suicdally depressed, can't eat, cant do anything. We have to do SOMETHING.

As Mirtazipine and fluanxol only seem to have made matters worse and now the prozac has taken us further down we can't just stay like this.

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

• Administrator

I agree, it's a terrible situation. You should not be in this position -- making medication decisions.

Medicine's ignorance about adverse effects of the drugs has endangered us all.

You'll have to work with the doctors as best as you're able. Hana's nervous system has to settle down.

Thanks to you all, psychiatrist 10am so will post decisions made, stay well, Rob

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spice... just to let you know you are in my thoughts. I'm wondering how you made out with your psych apt., and how you folks are in general.  Your path is more difficult than I can imagine, and my heart goes out to you.  Big warm hugs to both you and your wife. Posted Image

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I'm in hospital at the moment, they have me on a higher dose of lorazepam to try and cope with the akathisia and loopiness. They have reduced my Flupenthixol down to 0.5 from 1mg as the increase clearly hasn't helped and may prob made things worse as with the Mirtazipine. They want to start me on sertraline but I think I want to push for Amitriptyline - any thoughts?

I'm in such a state of instability, derealisation and depersonalisation and anxiety extremely bad. This is hell.

Thanks

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

• Administrator

Very sorry you're going through this. Unless they understand you're experiencing an iatrogenic reaction, any further medication is experimental.

We're hoping that because the flup and Mirtazipine reinstatement have made things worse taking them out after the 6 weeks I've been back on them may help

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

• Moderator Emeritus

Warm soothing {{{{HUGS}}}} headed your way, with a sincere wish I could do more. 

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

All I've got is what I've had all along: I doubt switching meds around is going to lead to a stable improvement. You can't stabilize while continually perturbing the chemistry. There are no magic fixes.

These drugs aren't like Advil, they don't just work while they're in you and then go away when you take them out. These drugs disrupt the chemistry of your nervous system (as well as endocrine and digestive) and the body reacts by trying to re-balance its chemistry. Your brain basically reshapes itself around the drugs, like a plant on a trellis. If you keep yanking out the trellis then shoving in another one then yanking that one out, etc. at some point the shape of the trellis becomes irrelevant, it's the damage done by the yanking that's the problem, and the plant really needs to just recover.

This undoubtedly sounds overly simplistic, but the fact is that our brains are complex living things which behave much more like plants than like machines or computers or whatever overly simplistic mechanistic model modern psychiatry seems to be based on. (Certainly these drug treatments do not take into account modern neuroscience and the now-proven existence of neuroplasticity.)

However, at this point stabilization is not a realistic short term goal, so I hope they find something that will suppress the worst of your symptoms and give you some rest. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of you...please keep us posted when you can.

They've reduced the flupenthixol to 0.5mg down from 1mg which we updosed 7 weeks ago and looking at bringing the Mirtazipine down by half this week which we also reinstated 7 weeks ago and things had got so much worse after doing that.

I'm in agony with akathisa and mental restlessness, bizarre thoughts and mental torment all the time - lorazepam is doping me out and I feel completely out of touch with reality. The depression is sucking the soul out of me and I can barely breathe or talk its so bad. People kept telling me to stabilise on the doses we'd added back in but I was getting worse week by week and not stabilising at all.

We're at a complete loss as to know what to do.

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

Would procylclodine help with the restlessness, do I I need an antipschotic, another antidepressant - what the hell do we do????

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

What if we incresed Mirtazipine to 15mg from 7.5 and see if it helps as my body already knows it but it has made me worse putting it in at 7.5. Sorry I'm in such a state, I'm terrified

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

Oh and they stopped the 0.9mg prozac a week ago

0.5mg Ativan (lorazepam)

10mg Prozac (2012)

3.9mg Remeron

0.3mg Fluanxol

0.2mg Ativan

0.9mg Prozac (July 2013)

Off Remeron mid June

0.125mg Fluanxol

0.1mg Ativan

• Administrator

Spice, it's impossible to say what to do. Probably as little as possible, and very cautiously at that.

Mirtazapine has a noradrenergic component that is stimulating and can cause agitation. If your symptoms increase after taking it, that's a sign the drug is aggravating them.