SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Food sensitivities

Dani

Hello everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the right area. If not, please forgive my new-member-ness ;)

I'm curious if anyone who is on or has taken sertraline (Zoloft) can tell me a bit about your experience with citrus fruit. I've really been hesitant to eat anything citrus-related--apples, lemons, oranges--because I've read conflicting anecdotes about interactions. I've also felt "tingling" on my lips after eating oranges, which has never happened before I took sertraline, and have forsworn oranges since. Anybody else have similar experiences?

I know, for instance, that you shouldn't take grapefruit because of an intestinal enzyme that has a high potential of overmetabolozing sertraline concentration in the blood. And I'm unsure what other fruits/veggies share this enzyme. If anyone has more concrete info on this, I'd be much obliged.

Other side questions: is it safe (keeping in mind that everyone is different) to eat citrus-filled fruits while on setraline? I've head many things--that if you do, you should wait between 4-6 hours for a safe metabolic level to kick in, etc., but have honestly become confused by the potential reactions or exceptions to watch out for. I'm actually a bit worried about my Vitamin-C levels, and have supplemented with some C-packed fruit snacks, but I'm even hesitant with these, especially with any "juice cocktail" combos that might have negative reactive ingredients.

Lastly, is taking a Vitamin-C supplement safe with sertraline?

Sorry this post is all over the place. I guess my major question is: What are people's experience with citrus specifically surrounding sertraline? I just really want to dig into apples and oranges again, but have scared myself in the processes. Any info (or redirection) would be exceptional.

Thanks for your time!

PanickedPat 

I get horrible zaps on my lips and tongue after eating kiwi, but I am in protracted withdrawal from tricyclics, which is a different med than you are asking about.  I will simply die if I develop a citrus fruit/vitamin C intolerance.

Some people do well with supplements, others react negatively.  I read an interaction guide that I bought from Point of Return that the following foods are no-nos while ON sertraline, but I don't know about whether they are a problem in withdrawal.  Anyway, here's what I found:

Bananas

Cranberry juice

Grapefruit

Star fruit

Tangerines

Bitter orange

If you have more questions, you can contact Point of Return yourself.  There are mixed reviews about them here on this site, but I am glad that I bought their materials and have them on hand for reference, even though I have been too scared to try actually taking the supplements.

Hi,

I had some problems with anything Vitamin C/citric acid related...but it has improved somewhat. I can drink orange juice again, but lemons are kinda iffy. I still have some reaction to it on my cheek and lips, but I like to try and drink warm lemon water in the mornings so help with digestion. I do not drink grapefruit juice at all...especially since I did research and found that grapefruit juice and lots of medicines have a bad reaction (something my doctor never told me)

Recently, I've been having digestive issues...which may or may not be a withdrawal symptom. I wouldn't really be surprised if it was withdrawal related.

If I drink cranberry juice or any other fruit juices, I make sure to dilute with water. I can tolerate it if it's mixed with water.

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you please keep posting to this thread and let me know what's happening with your food sensitivities? This topic is hugely important to me.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I cannot drink any fruit juices, or even eat fruits, but I am ok with anything with lemon...also anything acidic, such as sourkraut...

I cannot eat anything that is not orgnically grown, such as letuce, cucumber, etc.

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Can you please keep posting to this thread and let me know what's happening with your food sensitivities? This topic is hugely important to me.

I will try my best but I'm going through major depression since I lost my mother and its been very hard dealing with grief and withdrawal at the same time :(

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh, Dani, my condolences.  I don't know what to say.  I'm heartbroken about your loss.  

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

Hey Dani,

My stomach was affected the most by withdrawal. So many food sensitivities resulted including gluten, dairy, eggs, nut, refined sugar. For the first few months of withdrawal I was barely eating anything solid. Baby food and chicken broth that's pretty much it. After a few months I could eat fish and rice and more solids. I'm in month 6 and slowly my diet is expanding. Scary what these medications can do

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Oh, Dani, my condolences.  I don't know what to say.  I'm heartbroken about your loss.  

Thank you. It's been rough and withdrawal doesn't help the situation at all

Hey Dani,

My stomach was affected the most by withdrawal. So many food sensitivities resulted including gluten, dairy, eggs, nut, refined sugar. For the first few months of withdrawal I was barely eating anything solid. Baby food and chicken broth that's pretty much it. After a few months I could eat fish and rice and more solids. I'm in month 6 and slowly my diet is expanding. Scary what these medications can do

It's very scary. I am now able to eat potatoes after not being able to eat them for 2 years. Its crazy how I now have seasonal allergies AND food sensitivites since Zoloft. Never had any of this beforehand

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dani,

It's very scary. I am now able to eat potatoes after not being able to eat them for 2 years. Its crazy how I now have seasonal allergies AND food sensitivites since Zoloft. Never had any of this beforehand

I never had any problems beforehand, either.  In fact, I was always SO proud of my health and of being able to say I had no food, seasonal, or medication allergies.  There was even a false promise that my today gave me for the first couple of months of withdrawal where I seemed to be okay with foods, but then I started getting zaps and problems with kiwi, chocolate, and now I think pears and apples and pepper have made the list.

I just can't believe I went from being so healthy and strong for 31 years, to being on meds for four years, and now I use a walker, have non-epileptic seizures, and can't even eat to help my body heal. 

Hey Dani,

I had similar problem, not being able to eat certain food...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

Hey Dani,

I never had any problems beforehand, either.  In fact, I was always SO proud of my health and of being able to say I had no food, seasonal, or medication allergies.  There was even a false promise that my today gave me for the first couple of months of withdrawal where I seemed to be okay with foods, but then I started getting zaps and problems with kiwi, chocolate, and now I think pears and apples and pepper have made the list.

I just can't believe I went from being so healthy and strong for 31 years, to being on meds for four years, and now I use a walker, have non-epileptic seizures, and can't even eat to help my body heal. 

I also was very proud of not having any major health issues before antidepressants. I never had any food allergies, no seasonal allergies, no food sensitivities...nothing. Since withdrawal, I've had the strangest things happen. Some have resolved itself, some are still there ( but not with the same intensity as before) some are new. It's just crazy. I remember I couldn't sleep on my left side for nearly a year because when I did, the entire left side of my body would be completely without feeling when I'd wake up. I guess that has to do with all of the strange headache/sensations that happen occasionally on the right side of my head. Who knows. When I go to the doctor, things are usually normal and they never believe anything about withdrawal. The only person who believed in my withdrawals was my mother. Nobody else. And now that she has passed away, its been really difficult to deal with her loss, and withdrawal....plus the fact that nobody believes I have withdrawal to begin with. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Dani,

I also was very proud of not having any major health issues before antidepressants. I never had any food allergies, no seasonal allergies, no food sensitivities...nothing. Since withdrawal, I've had the strangest things happen. Some have resolved itself, some are still there ( but not with the same intensity as before) some are new. It's just crazy. I remember I couldn't sleep on my left side for nearly a year because when I did, the entire left side of my body would be completely without feeling when I'd wake up. I guess that has to do with all of the strange headache/sensations that happen occasionally on the right side of my head. Who knows. When I go to the doctor, things are usually normal and they never believe anything about withdrawal. The only person who believed in my withdrawals was my mother. Nobody else. And now that she has passed away, its been really difficult to deal with her loss, and withdrawal....plus the fact that nobody believes I have withdrawal to begin with. :(

Have you been in withdrawal since 2011?  And still with all the physical symptoms listed in your signature?

I'm sure your mother is still watching over you...

Hello Wiggleit,

Grief is a rough thing for anyone, especially someone in withdrawal.  Do you have anyone outside of the medical profession you can turn to for support?  Grief counselors do help people, as do therapists who specialize in working with people with chronic illnesses.  I know a good one here in my area; if you were in north Texas I'd give you her name.  

Just know, you're not alone when you're walking through this.  It may feel like it but you are not.  I'm sending you a huge cyber hug.

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

Its weird why some of us have to go through so much. I have to believe it all happens for a reason. I think when we get passed these obstacles we will live life better than ever imagined

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Does anyone else have a feeling like your stomach is really bruised? It always feels like I was punched in the gut . I'm so tender and weak in my midsection right now.

When I describe this feeling to my doctors they are absolutely clueless. Lyrica is there answer. I am going to see one of my doctors today to ask for a sick note so I can properly take time off. I don't even qualify for sick pay and I'm sure my doctor will give me a hard time for wanting to take time off. Because in her mind withdrawal isn't real. What a joke. Sick of our health care.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mort.. I understand your frustration.  Doctors are just not knowledgeable in most cases.  I've been tapering off Lyrica for 2 years now and the taper will probably go on for another year.  Lyrica has some miserable side effects that almost everyone experiences.. short term memory issues, constipation, and weight gain and bloating.  Further, I've never heard of it being prescribed for GI Issues and cannot but wonder why your doctor thinks this would help.  I realize you are not planning to take the medication, but thought I'd give you some input because I've been trying to get off for so long.

Take a look at the reasons Lyrica is prescribed, and the types of pain that could be helped... I don't see what you experience is listed there.  My 'gut' reaction here is your doc is throwing a medication at you because he does not know what else to do.

Also, benzodiazepines cause GI issues.. and you are taking Klonopin once every 3 days which is not giving you a stable blood level.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hey Dani,

Have you been in withdrawal since 2011?  And still with all the physical symptoms listed in your signature?

I'm sure your mother is still watching over you...

Not all the physical symptoms are still there. Some have come and gone like brains zaps etc. But some still come but aren't as intense as it was in 2011..like panic and anxiety. I also still develop new ones to this day..digestion issues

Its weird why some of us have to go through so much. I have to believe it all happens for a reason. I think when we get passed these obstacles we will live life better than ever imagined

I believe that too...life will be better than ever imagined.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've experienced digestive issues during and after antidepressant (Lexapro) withdrawal.  I had known for about ten years that I'm gluten intolerant and that dairy might aggravate my hay fever, but thanks to the psychiatric drugs I was given over a fifteen month period, I can no longer tolerate peanuts and I just recently discovered that I'm intolerant of dairy altogether.  Quitting the dairy has eliminated the fatigue, nausea, and low-grade depression that I had been writing off as the aftermath of antidepressant withdrawal and having to cope with a retirement that wasn't very well planned (which I also think is at least partially due to being in an antidepressant fog when I handed in my retirement paperwork).  I've also taken note that very much sugar revs me up worse than caffeine (also still not tolerated very well after three years of being antidepressant-free) and that, now that I've quit dairy, I'm much more responsive to other drugs.  I take an occasional benzo for sleep, and now they work consistently.  I was beginning to wonder if the generic Ativan I get had some dummy bullets in the jar as the pills weren't doing a thing for me about 50% of the time.

I'm paying a lot more attention to how foods and supplements are affecting me now.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks Skyler,

After reading that lyrica is the last thing I will try. I'm gonna try to continue to taper off the benzo as you said they can cause GI issues.

On a side note just came back from doctor. It was like pulling teeth to get a note for work. She carved me up bad, again reiterating withdrawal doesn't cause major stomach issues. She said I was doing so well while on lexapro and to go back on the med. I had to remind her why I went off of them in the first place. Anyway was a fun day getting beaten up by your doctor after your already down. But I know I am not alone as many of you have probably heard the same thing from absent minded physicians.

• Moderator Emeritus

After reading that lyrica is the last thing I will try. I'm gonna try to continue to taper off the benzo as you said they can cause GI issues.

Right.. but you should be taking the same dose every day.  Benzos are notorious for causing stomach issues... not sure yours fits, but it's a consideration.  And tapering any psychotropic by skipping days is bad, especially the benzos.  You might want to check out the benzo sub forum here to discuss this.  You need to figure out what dose of K you should taper off...something less than .25 mgs, but I'm not sure doing something like dividing it by .25 mgs by 3 and then taking that amount every day would be enough. 

Glad my message rang clear.. the side effect profile for Lyrica is not pretty.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Right.. but you should be taking the same dose every day.  Benzos are notorious for causing stomach issues... not sure yours fits, but it's a consideration.  And tapering any psychotropic by skipping days is bad, especially the benzos.  You might want to check out the benzo sub forum here to discuss this.  You need to figure out what dose of K you should taper off...something less than .25 mgs, but I'm not sure doing something like dividing it by .25 mgs by 3 and then taking that amount every day would be enough. 

Love your signature quote.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Interesting, ya thats a consideration I'm gonna need to check out . thanks again ill look into it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Love your signature quote.

Yes.. I found it!  Here it is... yes, I've wondered if anyone ever read it... I think it pretty much nails it when it comes to our experience with medical establishment.

BTW... very glad to hear you are doing well these days.  Not all are great, but more than not it seems.

PS.. I sent you a PM because I could not remember where this post was.. but the lost was found.. so I deleted.  Just in case you were wondering what happened.

• Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone else have a feeling like your stomach is really bruised? It always feels like I was punched in the gut . I'm so tender and weak in my midsection right now.

I don't know about this, but when I eat, it feels lie my esophagus and stomach don't want the food inside of me, like they think it's a foreign object when it hits my stomach.

I don't know about this, but when I eat, it feels lie my esophagus and stomach don't want the food inside of me, like they think it's a foreign object when it hits my stomach.

This is how I felt after effexor, to the extent that I was vomitting...then slowly introduced food I was able to eat...firstly it was boiled potatoes and carrot, then added boiled chicken breast...i ate like this for more than half a year, every day the same...and no spices....

I am better with food now...

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my food sensitivities have been improving so much lately. I'm In month 7 of WD. This month I've been able to eat things I couldn't during my first 6 months of WD. Things like eggs, dairy, and even gluten. I don't plan on eating much dairy or gluten but I'm glad that it doesn't big me

Hello my food sensitivities have been improving so much lately. I'm In month 7 of WD. This month I've been able to eat things I couldn't during my first 6 months of WD. Things like eggs, dairy, and even gluten. I don't plan on eating much dairy or gluten but I'm glad that it doesn't big me

I'm happy you're having signs of improvement!

Thanks Danni , today has been a rough one though , not sure what I ate to make myself feel so sore in my gut .. One thing I haven't figured out yet is how much worse does certain foods actually make my stomach or is it just part of my Withdrawal waves and windows. 

• 2 months later...

So what began as nausea, morphed into strange tastes, to metallic taste in mouth, to soapy taste in mouth, to...

Fear of eating. Fear it will make my tongue tingle, fear I will have a reaction, fear it will taste strange...

I've lost so much weight and the foods I can eat are getting fewer... Help?

Is this just a neuro fear?

Heard all the don't eat this, don't eat that, subconsciously, I guess I took it to an extreme :(

meds tapered @ 50% under psychiatrist June 2013 to October 2014 taper Effexor 150mg, Prozac 40mg,HRT,Gabapentine 500mg tid,Lamotrigine 25mg bid, Librium 5mg qid. October 2014 reduced final med prozac 40 mg-0mg in 4 weeks! 6 weeks later major wd kicked in. Off all meds oct 2014

supplements:Omega 3 4000mg, Vit D 2000mg,March added Inositol 6g 4/ day, TrueHope EMP 2.5 caps. + GabaMax (Phenyl gaba) 1/2 tsp 2/ day, choline bitartrate 250 mg up to 4/ day. June + ltryptophan adverse reaction.

Reinstatement 1 dose 10 mg fluoxetine. adverse reaction face & chest rash the next am...related?saw my neutrons firing, felt like brain swelled or was growing. Too high dose and possible interaction w supplements.June 22,15:Update...stopped emp plus.not sure if it was helping or hindering. Reduced inositol from 24 g/ day to 6 g @ bedtime w gabamax

June 1 mg x ?days, panicked! June, reduced to .50 mg x 2 days,family freaked out, back up to 1 mg

Sometimes think I maybe reacting to meds but it could also just be continuing or new wd symptoms. Occasional rash concerns me but I'm pretty sure an allergic rash would not be intermittent?

August: Prozac 1 mg, quetiepine 6.25 mg @ bedtime, omega 3, vit d doses same. inositol 1.5 tsp w 1/4 tsp gabamax (300 mg phenyl gaba + other ingredients)

Still experiencing disabling symptoms.

Disappointed that I don't feel better being off meds as many report experiencing sx but feel better in the mind...I feel worse. Learning to cope w sx

Mid August reduced inositol to 1.25tsp,gabapentin down to 1/8 + 1/2 of 1/16 tsp (going slow as anxiety increases w each reduction)

August 28: increased Prozac to 1.5 mg hoping for some relief.

Biggest problems now are fear,anxiety,depression along w the physical weak legs and exhaustion.

Upset with myself that I was drug free and then caved looking for relief. All is not lost just because I am taking minimal doses of these drugs. Must remain strong and have faith that I can do it without the drugs...

This became one of my obsessive themes in a recent wave but for me it was more a fear of developing a food phobia. Same starting point - weird taste/sensations caused by medication making me fearful of a repeat. Also, my appetite was zero anyway so I obsessed about that; was I avoidingr food, was I getting sicker?

Try to be gentle with yourself. Try starting off with simple foods. I had to tell myself over and over that the worst that could happen is a metallic taste, weird sensation or a bit more anxiety. It was horrible but you get through it.

Have you read up on OCD obsessive thoughts at all. These are a big feature of my withdrawal and I believe they are common. I have found that understanding them and how they hook you in is key to alleviating them.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe stick with bland things for a while.

I have an obssessive fear about anything I eat ( even plain fresh fruits ) that it can act on the seretonin receptors and cancel all the healing my brain did all the time I was drug free and start from scratch :( or cause an adverse reaction . It's just crazy how my mind keeps racing about this theme 24 h 

On and off prozac from 2010 -2014 .

Several failed fast tapers and reinstatements .

Cold turkey : March  2014 .

-----------------------------------------

took lysanxia 40 mg a day for almost a year
november -14- 2018 weaned to 30 mg
november -26- 2018 weaned to 20 mg
symptoms that got better : fatigue
current symptoms : severe anxiety
one rescue dose (10 mg ) december -15 -2018

I'm scared to prepare food..so strange..I've had this in withdrawal before..it's like everything is so ridiculously difficult.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've seen this happening to many people in withdrawal and have noticed it in myself.

Sometimes, in withdrawal, people do develop genuine sensitivities. But sometimes symptoms will coincide with eating or occur shortly after, but there not actually be a causation factor, it was merely a coincidence or a reaction to eating in general.  But in an attempt to control or minimize symptoms, we will attribute the symptom to having eaten a particular food and then remove that item from the diet.

Over time, as symptoms continue, more and more foods might be unnecessarily removed from the diet, leaving just a few foods, which may not provide enough calories or nutrition. In the anxious, highly aroused state that withdrawal often causes, its very easy to get into this cycle and become obsessed with diet restrictions, believing its certain foods causing symptoms when in reality the symptoms are going to come and go anyway.

It seems to be part of human nature to look for patterns, to find causes and effects, so we can better predict outcomes and have more control over our lives.  But if the patterns we see are imagined, and the result is that we are starving our body of the nutrition it needs, then this might slow the recovery process.

If your nervous system is sensitized by withdrawal, we recommend removing or reducing these things: alcohol, highly processed foods, sugar, rich or highly spiced foods, caffeine, foods with artificial colors and flavors.

But beyond this, please test yourself several times with healthy foods before you decide to remove them from your diet, not everyone becomes lactose, gluten and histamine intolerant in withdrawal. Severely restricting our diet when it may not be needed can cause added emotional and physical stress.

I'm scared to prepare food..so strange..

I have this too L&L, but its getting better, I'm finding it slightly easier now than it was at first. For me the food prep fear is directly related to how intense my symptoms are in general. When I'm feeling a little better, its easier and I can sort of enjoy it... almost.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy